Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-05-18 9:25 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL
Signed up for Cap Tex Tri today.  I am only doing the First Tri race.  400m swim, 10K bike, 5K run.  This will be a quick race but I want to experience Open water before my Sprint in June and don't want to do the longer distance in the sprint.  Should hopefully break 1 hour, which by the last few years I should place high but you never know who will be there.

2007-05-18 9:34 PM
in reply to: #807646

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kproudfoot - 2007-05-18 9:25 PM Signed up for Cap Tex Tri today. I am only doing the First Tri race. 400m swim, 10K bike, 5K run. This will be a quick race but I want to experience Open water before my Sprint in June and don't want to do the longer distance in the sprint. Should hopefully break 1 hour, which by the last few years I should place high but you never know who will be there.

That's great, Ken.  I think it's great that you're using this race as a practice for your higher priority sprint in June.  I don't think the open water will be as big of an issue as you think.  You'll do great, and I bet you'll place really well in the results. 

2007-05-18 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, kids are mellow currently, so here's the Gordy Paulson Speed Interval program my tri group hosted awhile ago. Gordy is a time trial nationals dude (and a lawyer!) and does some coaching. The fellow he had demonstrating had these incredible huge legs and I was right behind him on the Cybex machines in the weight room at the Y before the program started and he lifted 230# with his quads!! I can do 150# but only 5 reps! He wasn't really much bigger than me, so 230 is my goal Anyway, the dude was on a Cervelo (of course) with an Ergomo power meter (of course) and THAT's how he got to be so strong and fast! He actually came up to me at the Appleton Duathlon a few weeks ago and talked to me at a gas station because he recognized my LaCrosse Velo club jacket and asked me if I was on my way to the Neenah Criterium! I was rather flattered that he thought I looked capable of such a feat! But I was there with my son, Noah (age 9) for his first Du! And my skinny critter did pretty darn good, even if I am his Mom! But I digress.......

Speed Interval Workout #1:

The idea is to combine intervals which emphasize the various muscle types (fast twitch, slow twitch) in a specific order and with very careful attention to recovery during the workout so that you "recruit" fast twitch fibers to work in conjunction with slow twitch for greater overall power. And example of such a workout combines 8-10 full on sprints of 12 seconds, using high cadence (120rpm); between each sprint you spin easy to recover for a minimum of 3 minutes, after you complete the last sprint you do 10 minutes of easy recovery spinning before going to phase II. In phase II you do 6-10 one minute intervals done right at or slightly above threshold, use a high cadence (110 rpm). Recovery spin 6 minutes between each interval and do 15 minutes of easy spinning before starting the final set. The last phase is 3-4 2.5 minle endurance intervals at your race pace. High cadence again (90-100 rpm), with at least 6 minutes between each interval.

Speed interval #2:

The idea is to perform low cadence 50-70 rpm, high resistance intervals building to repeated 20 minute intervals. 4-6 intervals is the target per workout. Rest period between intervals is 3-5 minutes. Do no more than two intense interval workouts per week. 2 of these, or one of these and one of the muscle recruitment workout.

Overspeed Intervals:

After you have built speed/power doing the first two kinds of intervals, you need to ramp up your ability to go fast. One way to accomlish this is to participate in high intensity pack racing, especially criteriums such as Superweek. Motorpacing, although probably not legal, and definitely something that must be approached with careful attention to safety, is one way that professionals have prepared for thier most important events. You can also find a course where you ahve assistance reaching speeds above what you normally can maintain, examples would be down gradual grades and down wind. The idea is to push the speed envelope as high as you can, recover, and push again.

Gordy Paulson
Cottage Grove, WI
608-839-9231
USAC Level 2 Coach and USAC Cat 1 Road Racer
[email protected]

I did a 4 hour Spinathon in March at the Y to raise money for kids to learn to swim and it was awesome! They had 8 different instructors come in to push us with different themes, music, handing out chocolates and gummi bears and making us get off and do pushups and lunges and stuff periodically. Seriously, the most fun I've EVER had exercising! I would really strongly recommend Spinning classes to all, as you get rather competitive with the group and they PUSH you, if they are good At my Spinathon, there were at least 4 Ironpeople present, as they all had the "brand"--a red IM tatoo with 140.6 beneath the logo! I was instantly impressed when I finally figured out what they all had on the back of their right calves! And if I DO finish an ironman-----I'm gettin that brand!!! (not into tatoos or piercings and no, I didn't dye my hair pink, but if I am gonna get something permanent like that, I can't think of a better one!)
2007-05-18 9:48 PM
in reply to: #807655

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2007-05-18 9:34 PM

kproudfoot - 2007-05-18 9:25 PM Signed up for Cap Tex Tri today. I am only doing the First Tri race. 400m swim, 10K bike, 5K run. This will be a quick race but I want to experience Open water before my Sprint in June and don't want to do the longer distance in the sprint. Should hopefully break 1 hour, which by the last few years I should place high but you never know who will be there.

That's great, Ken.  I think it's great that you're using this race as a practice for your higher priority sprint in June.  I don't think the open water will be as big of an issue as you think.  You'll do great, and I bet you'll place really well in the results. 

I just plan on staying to the outside and not worrying about my time.  Plus it should be wetsuit legal (at least I hope) so I know I won't sink.  I wish the bike was longer though, 6 miles is pretty short.  The plus is I should be warmed up for a great 5K.  Have  you done this race in the past?  I was wandering how hilly it was.  The times on the bike look pretty slow.  But that could be hills or because of amount of turns.  Just curious what to expect.  I plan on driving the course on Saturday or Sunday though.
2007-05-19 5:43 AM
in reply to: #807670

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

I just plan on staying to the outside and not worrying about my time. Plus it should be wetsuit legal (at least I hope) so I know I won't sink. I wish the bike was longer though, 6 miles is pretty short. The plus is I should be warmed up for a great 5K. Have you done this race in the past? I was wandering how hilly it was. The times on the bike look pretty slow. But that could be hills or because of amount of turns. Just curious what to expect. I plan on driving the course on Saturday or Sunday though.

Yes, I did the OLY there last year, and it was a great course.  Again, don't stress about the swim too much.  400m will be over before you know it especially with a wetsuit.  It'll probably take you longer to put the dang thing on and off than to swim the course!

The whole bike course is about 6 miles, and there are not any "significant" hills, but there are a lot of turns.  Overall, I'd actually call this a pretty fast bike course, and definitely a fun one.  Since you're only doing 6 miles, you'll absolutely be hammering the whole time and will probably be passing people right and left, giving a nice mental boost.   Going south on the Congress there is slight downhill and everyone is absolutely flying.  This part of the race was one of the funnest times I've ever had on a bike.  You're going to love it.

If you're getting down there early, you might even try biking the course on Sat or Sun morning early so that traffic is at a minimum.  Also, it's a great spectator course too if you're going to have family or friends watching!

Man, I'm excited for you.  You're going to kill the course.  I can feel it!

2007-05-19 6:33 AM

User image

Champion
Butler
Thanks for the encouragement.  I would definately love to ride the course but worse case will drive it.  As long as I don't panic on the swim I am not too worried especially with the wetsuit.  I swam at grapevine (first OWS) and the first 800m look took me 25 minutes.  I spend almost the whole time doing the backstroke.  I put on a nose plug for the second loop and was able to swim the entire thing using the front crawl.  I don't know how long it took but it felt pretty fast.  I am going to try and go out this week and swim from the show out about 25 yards or so with a friend just to practice though.

2007-05-19 7:56 AM

User image

Expert
Kproudfoot--I'm so glad you admitted to using a nose plug! Can't swim without one, myself. Everyone looks at me funny when I stick it on, but hey, if it makes it more pleasant and doable, then I don't care if they smirk! Never could keep the water from going up my nose. And we all know how delicious the lake water is! Just as good as when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota! For some reason, I didn't learn to swim with my head in the water. Hmmm, could it have had ANYTHING to do with the fact that the water tastes like fish poop? And you can't see your hand through the murkiness of it? Or the fact that there are certain critters you just might not want to see swimming around you? Like Ed's stinging jellyfish......man, that would cure me from EVER swimming in open water again! I went to Corpus Christi once when I was 5 and was terrified of the jellyfish on the beach when I learned they can sting. Still remember making my mom carry me around that beach. I don't think dead washed up jellyfish can sting you, but I was 5.......

Anyway, I can swim the crawl now, and I just try hard not to think about those green shadows in front of me now and then. Plus, the wetsuit keeps the leaches off. I hope.......

What's it like to be 6'7" and try to find a bike to fit you??? Is it difficult? Just wondering, as I'm a whole foot shorter than you! I did get my bike fitted by an excellent fitter and I have to say he did a great job. I don't have any lingering pains from riding, except the usual saddle soreness that goes away soon. So, I'm a believer in spending the extra to have a great fitter!!

I got my own del.icio.us account set up to save articles. Kept finding links from one article to several others by same author that I thought I HAD to have. So, thanks, David, for showing us your account--wonderful info!!!
2007-05-19 11:15 AM
in reply to: #807790

User image

Champion
Butler
phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-19 7:56 AM Kproudfoot--I'm so glad you admitted to using a nose plug! Can't swim without one, myself. Everyone looks at me funny when I stick it on, but hey, if it makes it more pleasant and doable, then I don't care if they smirk! Never could keep the water from going up my nose. And we all know how delicious the lake water is! Just as good as when I was a kid growing up in Minnesota! For some reason, I didn't learn to swim with my head in the water. Hmmm, could it have had ANYTHING to do with the fact that the water tastes like fish poop? And you can't see your hand through the murkiness of it? Or the fact that there are certain critters you just might not want to see swimming around you? Like Ed's stinging jellyfish......man, that would cure me from EVER swimming in open water again! I went to Corpus Christi once when I was 5 and was terrified of the jellyfish on the beach when I learned they can sting. Still remember making my mom carry me around that beach. I don't think dead washed up jellyfish can sting you, but I was 5....... Anyway, I can swim the crawl now, and I just try hard not to think about those green shadows in front of me now and then. Plus, the wetsuit keeps the leaches off. I hope....... What's it like to be 6'7" and try to find a bike to fit you??? Is it difficult? Just wondering, as I'm a whole foot shorter than you! I did get my bike fitted by an excellent fitter and I have to say he did a great job. I don't have any lingering pains from riding, except the usual saddle soreness that goes away soon. So, I'm a believer in spending the extra to have a great fitter!! I got my own del.icio.us account set up to save articles. Kept finding links from one article to several others by same author that I thought I HAD to have. So, thanks, David, for showing us your account--wonderful info!!!
I actually can swim fine in a pool with out a nose plug.  I swam with on in the pool for 6 months and decided one day to stop and never looked back.  It seems I still need it in Open Water though.  Finding my bike was not that difficult.  I went to a LBS and had them measure and give me suggestions of what to buy.  I ended up buying my bike onlilne, so I don't know if it properly fits but I don't seem to have any problems.  If I would have planned on buying from a LBS I would have had issues as I need a 63cm frame and most shops had very few that size.  Because of limited financial resources though I only spent $300 online but the bike as worked out great.  I am sure I will give out sooner than what I would have gotten at a shop as all the compenents are Shimano Sora but I will cross that bridge when I get there.
2007-05-19 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
I found a good article on bike fit:

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

David, I just did the one hour run lactate threshold deal, and this is what I discovered (no one is allowed to laugh!): my lactate threshold is 185, my everyday walking around HR is actually rather high at 84, don't know what my just getting up out of bed HR is, but will find out tomorrow a.m., I can sustain 190 for a mile or so but don't feel good at that rate at all, and my VO2 max is 199, which I can sustain for only about a minute or so. I did it pretty much the way they said to with a warm up and cool down. The 5K part in the middle took a whole 37 minutes and I did 5 miles in 64:50. (pitiful, pitiful, pitiful!!!) ONCE I did .2 miles at 8 mph and actually tasted blood, as my lungs just hated that!!!! (but that wasn't today). I actually look rather like Bride of Frankenstein after a run, as my face is all beet red, my temple veins stick out, my hair is pasted to my sweaty head and I STINK! NOT a pretty sight.........I'll have to take up drinking in order to actually run in public So, can you help me figure out that one chart with the F1, F2, all the way to F5???? Thanks!!
2007-05-19 11:47 AM

User image

Somerset, England
Crikey! Read the forum last night to get up to date and can't believe that only after a few hours I have a novel to read! Pene, I can't believe you managed to find time to read all of David's stuff as well as get as much info onto the thread as you have with the kids in the background. I don't have kids (but do have a Dalmatian) and I can't find time to write more than 1 message. I hope I get as hooked as you obviously are. Whilst I do consider myself an athlete (in approach in not necessarily in ability), I'm not sure I can claim to be a triathlete yet - give me a couple of months tho and the world can stand by!

On the subject of spinning I too have tried this and found it great fun. It is the ONLY way I can bear inside cycling though (except in extremis) and would much rather be out running/cycling even if the weather is foul.

Thanks everyone for the advice on the swimming aspect. I got myself some kit today and will be getting wet next week although any idea on OWS'ing is out for a while as the water around the UK is freezing and I need a dry suit with a defibrulator (sp) not a wet suit! The problem I have here is that my technique is rubbish so any tips would be welcome (sorry David if there is something on your archive - haven't had time to scan this yet). At present I have too fast a stroke rate and a very inefficient style = I'm knackered after 3-4 lengths!
2007-05-19 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Pocket--thanks for that. Actually, I'm not as together as it seems. Can't find my keys currently. Have looked three times in all the usual places. Was going to go to the Y to swim. Guess maybe the House Faeries are trying to tell me to stay home for once and actually clean it! My "secret" to being able to do all this is basically this: I don't clean, cook or do any of the usual traditional female things. No fancy hair do that takes hours to manage, no nail painting, no baked goods (except what the Amish patients give me, bless their souls), no darning socks or repairing holes in clothes, no guy in my life to distract me or tell me I'm nuts to do all this! My house is horrible 90% of the time. But, something has to go. Only so many hours in the day. And I DO pay attention to the kids and prioritize that over cleaning and exercising. Work really gets in the way of my training though..........must remember to play the lottery!

About the OWS. I can't swim in the pool without taking breathers, either. But somehow, in the middle of the lake with no wall to get to, you just make it. Even in the middle of an asthma episode. Your body just knows that it must keep going so it does. But you aren't racing like in a pool. There are lots of bouncy waves with really cold water coming at you and you just have to concentrate on relaxing. (which sounds funny). I didn't wear a bright colored cap, mine is black, so the group couldn't see me going around in circles and toward the wrong shore. They had no idea whatsoever that I was having problems. Kayak lady assumed I was already back to shore. Knowing this, at one point I just flipped on my back, relaxed completely and had a little heart to heart with myself that went something like this: Pene, you crazy Norweigan from Minnesota, you grew up in a lake, even if you didn't put your head in the water, and you are wearing an excellent floatation device, so..... even if you just stop moving your arms and legs right now eventually you will wash up on some shore and some nice person will be kind enough to point you in the correct direction to go get your kids and car and go home. Then I flipped over and found my shore and got there. Adrenaline is a wonderful thing. It allows you to do whatever you need to do to survive!

I read really fast (four degrees will do that for you) and type pretty fast, so this is no problem. But there will inevitably be a down day for me that will require some nice person on here to tell me just one nice thing and then I'll be back at it. I'm sort of a project person. This is my project right now, so it gets my "free" time. And when you have only a minute or two between patients, it's just easier to click on than it is to sit there twiddling thumbs and trying to find some sort of work to do that only takes 3 minutes. I think it would be totally cool to have a laptop in your bathroom. Just think about that for a minute

2007-05-19 2:24 PM
in reply to: #807774

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

kproudfoot - 2007-05-19 6:33 AM Thanks for the encouragement. I would definately love to ride the course but worse case will drive it. As long as I don't panic on the swim I am not too worried especially with the wetsuit. I swam at grapevine (first OWS) and the first 800m look took me 25 minutes. I spend almost the whole time doing the backstroke. I put on a nose plug for the second loop and was able to swim the entire thing using the front crawl. I don't know how long it took but it felt pretty fast. I am going to try and go out this week and swim from the show out about 25 yards or so with a friend just to practice though.

Ken, you'll do fine.  As you know, wetsuit's make you really buoyant.  I swam in the ocean last weekend when I was visiting my sister in San Diego, and I just barely had to tread water to stay afloat.  Salt water + wetsuit = Extremely buoyant.  It was great minus getting tangled up in kelp a few times!  

Hey, I live about 5 minutes from Lake Grapevine.  So if you want, I could come out and swim with you and your friend this week.   Again, I'm not a swim coach, but I did put in my fair share of miles in Grapevine last year getting reading from my IM.  Just let me know when and where.  If you'd rather just go with your friend, no problem.  I'm easy.

2007-05-19 2:44 PM
in reply to: #807984

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2007-05-19 2:24 PM

kproudfoot - 2007-05-19 6:33 AM Thanks for the encouragement. I would definately love to ride the course but worse case will drive it. As long as I don't panic on the swim I am not too worried especially with the wetsuit. I swam at grapevine (first OWS) and the first 800m look took me 25 minutes. I spend almost the whole time doing the backstroke. I put on a nose plug for the second loop and was able to swim the entire thing using the front crawl. I don't know how long it took but it felt pretty fast. I am going to try and go out this week and swim from the show out about 25 yards or so with a friend just to practice though.

Ken, you'll do fine.  As you know, wetsuit's make you really buoyant.  I swam in the ocean last weekend when I was visiting my sister in San Diego, and I just barely had to tread water to stay afloat.  Salt water + wetsuit = Extremely buoyant.  It was great minus getting tangled up in kelp a few times!  

Hey, I live about 5 minutes from Lake Grapevine.  So if you want, I could come out and swim with you and your friend this week.   Again, I'm not a swim coach, but I did put in my fair share of miles in Grapevine last year getting reading from my IM.  Just let me know when and where.  If you'd rather just go with your friend, no problem.  I'm easy.

Thanks for the offer, the more the merrier.  I will definately let you know.  I will probably go out Wednesday or Thursday after I get off of work.  Probably 5:30ish.
2007-05-19 2:47 PM
in reply to: #807889

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-19 11:33 AM I found a good article on bike fit: http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html David, I just did the one hour run lactate threshold deal, and this is what I discovered (no one is allowed to laugh!): my lactate threshold is 185, my everyday walking around HR is actually rather high at 84, don't know what my just getting up out of bed HR is, but will find out tomorrow a.m., I can sustain 190 for a mile or so but don't feel good at that rate at all, and my VO2 max is 199, which I can sustain for only about a minute or so. I did it pretty much the way they said to with a warm up and cool down. The 5K part in the middle took a whole 37 minutes and I did 5 miles in 64:50. (pitiful, pitiful, pitiful!!!) ONCE I did .2 miles at 8 mph and actually tasted blood, as my lungs just hated that!!!! (but that wasn't today). I actually look rather like Bride of Frankenstein after a run, as my face is all beet red, my temple veins stick out, my hair is pasted to my sweaty head and I STINK! NOT a pretty sight.........I'll have to take up drinking in order to actually run in public So, can you help me figure out that one chart with the F1, F2, all the way to F5???? Thanks!!

Pene,  Awesome. I'm proud of you for doing a LTHR field test.  They are really tough and not very fun.  So good job.  I'm glad you're taking heart rate training seriously.  

However, I'm a little concerned that you might have run too far for your test.  Most of the references I've found, including the links I provided, call for a 30 minute field test, not a 60 minute one.  However, I just found that Ken Mierke (in "The Triathlete's Guide to Run Training" book) calls for a 60 minute test where you take the average HR over the last 30 minutes as your LTHR.   If you were to do a 30 minute test where you average over the last 20 minutes, then your LTHR might be a little higher than the one found today.  However, 185 seems pretty high already, and it's better to err on the lower side anyway.  So, let's stick with 185 for now.  We can re-test in 6-8 weeks if needed.

You've done the hard part, now the fun: You get to find out what "intensity" you should be training at.  That is, what heart rate should you be trying to maintain for most of your runs.  Just follow these instructions on BT.   All you have to do is type in your LTHR and it computes your zones for you.  Then memorize the Zone 2 because that's the range you'll want to keep your HR in for most of your runs. 

BTW, don't worry about your pace during the test, or ever really.  Speed will come in time.  Let's build that cake first!

2007-05-19 3:18 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, my Z2 is 168 at the upper. Seems like I'll be running awfully slow at that rate! Now, why exactly is this the best range? Does it help my cardio conditioning to stay here? Or is it just to do fat burning more efficiently? I do think fat burning kicks in for me at around 55 minutes or so. The longer I do stuff, the better it goes. Rather unpleasant waiting for my body to quit starving from glycogen depletion and find the fat stores (which shouldn't be that hard to locate--if my body just asked me, I could show it just exactly where to lose it!!!). I just did the 60 minutes because it said to do 15 minutes warm up and cool down, and since I'm so slow with all my runs, I just figured I'd run the warm up and cool down rather than walk. Gonna be an awfully long marathon in October if my speed doesn't increase!!!! Just reassure me that this will work, but try to explain it cuz it just seems like pushing myself to go faster and harder will eventually teach my body to do so easier.....but I trust you because it seems you started from about nothing like me and now you are a superman
2007-05-19 3:24 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Dave,

The other day I ran a 5K race where my avg hr was 187 (max 200).  The race took me 22:30, could I use this a my LT or should I do the test you suggested? 

2007-05-19 6:33 PM
in reply to: #808014

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-19 3:18 PM Okay, my Z2 is 168 at the upper. Seems like I'll be running awfully slow at that rate! Now, why exactly is this the best range? Does it help my cardio conditioning to stay here? Or is it just to do fat burning more efficiently?

Yes, you will be running slow, sometimes painfully slow. Many people don't like running this slow, but it is very important to stay in this range to "build your aerobic engine"; build your base. What does this mean? Please carefully read this excellent article by Strauss. I can't put it any better.

If you're not a speed reader like Pene, the whole idea can be summed up with this quote: "Without a strong foundation, you do not have all of the basic training adaptations (see What happens to your body above) to take full advantage of this hard stuff. It's the difference between driving a Porsche and a VW bug. Both will go 85, but one is working a lot less than the other. Remember, build the engine first, THEN make it fast."

I do think fat burning kicks in for me at around 55 minutes or so. The longer I do stuff, the better it goes. Rather unpleasant waiting for my body to quit starving from glycogen depletion and find the fat stores

I'm not quite sure I follow what your saying here. Are you trying to say that you think you run out of glycogen after about 55 minutes (meaning you bonk!) and then you have to slow down and start burning fat. This could very well be, but is definitely not a good way to train. You never want to bonk (i.e., run out of carbs/glycogen) on purpose!

The goal should be to workout aerobically (in Z2) thereby burning about an equal percentage of carbs and fat. And if you can take in 250-400 calories of carbs per hour, then ideally you won't run out of energy!  

Just reassure me that this will work, but try to explain it cuz it just seems like pushing myself to go faster and harder will eventually teach my body to do so easier.....

If your A race (highest priority) this year was a sprint tri or a half marathon or any event taking about 2 hrs or less to complete, then you could do Z3 and Z4 (i.e, faster and harder stuff). But if you want to feel decent at the end of your century and marathon, then you should start teaching your body to burn fat more efficiently. And you can only do that thru Z1 and Z2 training.

Everyone's body can only store roughly 2000 calories of carbs (i.e, glycogen/sugar), good enough for about 2 hrs of exercise depending on the intensity. But even the skinniest Kenyans have plenty of body fat to last for many, many hours of exercise. By training fast and hard all the time, you're teaching your body to get really good at burning carbs for energy, not fat. Again, this is all well and good if your event is under 2 hrs, but if it's not you should try to get better at burning fat as a fuel source!

Understand?

but I trust you because it seems you started from about nothing like me and now you are a superman

Thanks for the nice words, but I'm be no means a superman. I did my first marathon back in 98, and I didn't start learning any of this stuff until a couple of years ago when I started doing tris. Wish I would have started earlier...

Edited by dgillen 2007-05-19 8:01 PM
2007-05-19 7:58 PM
in reply to: #808027

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-05-19 3:24 PM

Dave,

The other day I ran a 5K race where my avg hr was 187 (max 200). The race took me 22:30, could I use this a my LT or should I do the test you suggested?

An average HR for a 5K will generally by higher than your LTHR, so I might use something like 183 - 185 for your LTHR.   So, you don't have to do a test yet, maybe in 6-8 weeks. 

Also, you have a 305, right?  Then you can also use your real time running pace (instead of or in addition to) your HR to measure intensity.  Take a look the this table , and be sure the read the descriptions links at the top of the page to find out what a Pace Zone is.  It's very similar to a HR zone, but using pace instead.   This table let's you set your pace zones given your 5 or 10K race time.  On this table, Zone 2 would correspond roughly to PZI 3 (or Moderate Aerobic) or in your case (using 22:30 5K time) a pace between 9:43-8:47 mins/mile.

Let me know if you have questions about this. 

2007-05-19 8:07 PM

Regular
Indiana
Hi all,
I have my first triathlon under my belt. Overall was a great experience but................I need alot of work. Check out my race report.
2007-05-19 8:38 PM

User image

Expert
CONGRATS KP!!!! Read your race report and from my perspective, you kicked butt and should be very proud of yourself! You did longer distances than mine will be and you are faster than me so you have my utmost admiration and respect. And you can look forward to improvements from here!! Way to go!

David, thanks for the info. I understand better now and will try to be a good girl and behave and stick to my zone. Might make the run more enjoyable, and I'm ALL for that! I DO need patience, although my mother taught me never to pray for it. If you do, then life gives you ample opportunities to practice it!!!! Looking forward to redoing it in 6-8 weeks.

And I found my keys. Actually gave myself a blood pressure headache from sheer panic over not finding them. And a sore throat from ranting and raving about it to the kids asking them to please help me look. You don't realize just how important the darn things are til you think you'll never again have them--total and complete lack of freedom without your keys!!! I made the kids sit down and write/draw lists of stuff they were grateful for after that! Best to always count your blessings. Someone always has it worse than you. I was on my bike the other day and not feeling the strongest and passed a girl in a wheelchair. Changed my attitude in a hurry!!

One of my teamates on my other forum is having a bad time attitude wise. If anyone feels like being encouraging, look at BigGirlTri-ing's log and send her some good inspiration. She's an amazing woman that has lost over 100 pounds and does 5K's and tri's and teaches swim at the YWCA in Minneapolis. You can find her blog on my log under "other blogs". That's the place to save friends' logs so you can check on them from time to time. I have all of you on my log now added as friends and will be snooping at your logs to send you encouragement. You really don't know how powerful a good word or two can be!!!
2007-05-19 9:37 PM

User image

Expert
Okay, last post of the day, promise! Just did the bike lactate threshold test, too. That was 160, so it puts me at 142 for a high F2. My HR monitor is water resistant, but I don't think it was designed to go in the pool......so just how important is it to do the swim lactate threshold??? I mean, when you are out in the water, it's not like you are gonna be checking your watch every few yards. You just get in there and finish. And I really do think I stop for breathers way too much in the pool as it is! I'm not a fast swimmer, even with flippers! I'd have to see if the head swim dude at the Y would have one I could borrow that is meant for the water, I suppose....if you think it is that important?

So, Fearless Leader, what's the next assignment/challenge???

2007-05-19 9:47 PM

Connecticut
Okay, Okay, Okay, Do any of you work or are you all full time triathletes........I step out for a few hours and I find dozens of posts......EXACTLY why I joined a mentor group......Awesome information for a first timer. Hopefully I can put to use some of the valuable info I have grabbed from these posts! Keep them coming! By the way, the more I hear about everyone else training for races, the more motivated I get!!!!! Yeahhh Baby!!!!!!!!!!
2007-05-19 10:11 PM
in reply to: #808183

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2007-05-19 7:58 PM
kproudfoot - 2007-05-19 3:24 PM

Dave,

The other day I ran a 5K race where my avg hr was 187 (max 200). The race took me 22:30, could I use this a my LT or should I do the test you suggested?

An average HR for a 5K will generally by higher than your LTHR, so I might use something like 183 - 185 for your LTHR.   So, you don't have to do a test yet, maybe in 6-8 weeks. 

Also, you have a 305, right?  Then you can also use your real time running pace (instead of or in addition to) your HR to measure intensity.  Take a look the this table , and be sure the read the descriptions links at the top of the page to find out what a Pace Zone is.  It's very similar to a HR zone, but using pace instead.   This table let's you set your pace zones given your 5 or 10K race time.  On this table, Zone 2 would correspond roughly to PZI 3 (or Moderate Aerobic) or in your case (using 22:30 5K time) a pace between 9:43-8:47 mins/mile.

Let me know if you have questions about this. 

Thanks for the info.  I do have the 305 I guess I should slow down some.  I generally run between 8:00 and 8:30 miles, some of my longer runs get into the 9:00ish range.  I have actually seen that chart before but forgot about it.  I will definately look it over.
2007-05-20 8:07 AM

Connecticut
After reading the last few pages, I have been convinced to get a hr monitior for my training. Hopefully it will allow me to train better and smarter for my upcoming races.
2007-05-20 8:14 AM

Connecticut
Can anyone recommend a user friendly site to buy tri-gear. I am in the market for a wetsuit and some other stuff. Any recommendations on brand, type, etc., would be greatly appreciated.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36