BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2008-01-19 9:21 PM
in reply to: #1094615

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: willie05's Group - Closed
Well, I just realized I made a big... no a huge scheduling mistake. I registered for the St. Anthony's Triathlon in April several months ago. I just realized that the christmas present I brought for my wife, Bon Jovi concert tickets (which I scalped and paid a fortune for), are for the night before the race. The concert is a good 4-5 hours drive from the race. There is no way I can logistically make the race. Talk about a bummer!!!!!

I thought about it, and decided that family is more important, so no St. Anthony's for Steven this year. Now I just need to figure out if I can push my entry fee on to next years race.

Now I have some decisions to make as far as what races I should participate in. I am still planning on racing the NYC tri the end of July. I would like to do an olympic and perhaps a sprint before then so I can get some experience.

There are two races I am interested in in April. Both on the same weekend. The first is the first annual (I never understood the concept of "the first annual") Nautica South Beach Triathlon which is a sprint. The second is the Fort Myers Triathlon, which is an olympic, and less then 10 miles from my house.

Which do you guys think I should shoot for? Keep in mind I want to try and gain some experience for NYC. I want to try and do one sprint before april just to get a feel for the event.

The big advantage of South Beach is well, it is South Beach...lol. No, really it is being hosted by Nautica which is hosting NYC, and the swim will be in the atlantic. The advantage of Ft. Myers is it's an olympic and it is in my home town. I believe the event will be at Florida Gulf Coast University, which has a large lake, so I expect the swim to be there and not the gulf of mexico.

So, please share your opinions...

Thanks.

-Steven
-

2008-01-20 6:56 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
I have a somewhat similar question...

I did 3 sprints last year, and placed in the lower half of my age group on all of them. This year, I would like to do an olympic, just to prove that I can. Is that a good idea, or should I concentrate on improving my times in the sprints?
2008-01-20 3:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Squishy, I understand waiting a while. This is my second full year of training and I just did my first TT ~6 weeks ago. Heck, I didn't use any real planning last year, just ran/biked/swam the race distances a couple times a week to know I could. The Karvonen or Scott method of finding LT/Z2 must be good starting points too, or we'd hear chatter that they aren't.

rjdorman: I am in a similar situation. I raced in 2 sprint distance races last year and want to improve my time in each (actually, what I WANT to do is beat a friend of mine this year, he beat me last year in both races). So one goal is to get faster. I also want to complete an Oly this summer -- like you, to prove I can. There is a BT silver level plan titled "Intermediate Sprint - 26 Week, 6 Race Series" I plan to use as a starting point for planning my next period of training because it also says "The plans I’ve written here are sufficient to prepare you even up to Olympic distance. . ." So, what I'm getting at is I it seems there's a way to accomplish both.

Steven, that's a tough choice. Depending on the entry fee and late-registration date, maybe you register for both and something happens to make your decision for you later (like the Bon Jovi concert thing -- which my wife is EXTREMELY envious of).

Mark
2008-01-20 8:04 PM
in reply to: #1166579

User image

Veteran
mdodd - 2008-01-20 4:54 PM

Squishy, I understand waiting a while. This is my second full year of training and I just did my first TT ~6 weeks ago. Heck, I didn't use any real planning last year, just ran/biked/swam the race distances a couple times a week to know I could. The Karvonen or Scott method of finding LT/Z2 must be good starting points too, or we'd hear chatter that they aren't.

rjdorman: I am in a similar situation. I raced in 2 sprint distance races last year and want to improve my time in each (actually, what I WANT to do is beat a friend of mine this year, he beat me last year in both races). So one goal is to get faster. I also want to complete an Oly this summer -- like you, to prove I can. There is a BT silver level plan titled "Intermediate Sprint - 26 Week, 6 Race Series" I plan to use as a starting point for planning my next period of training because it also says "The plans I’ve written here are sufficient to prepare you even up to Olympic distance. . ." So, what I'm getting at is I it seems there's a way to accomplish both.

Steven, that's a tough choice. Depending on the entry fee and late-registration date, maybe you register for both and something happens to make your decision for you later (like the Bon Jovi concert thing -- which my wife is EXTREMELY envious of).

Mark

Mark,

I sent an e-mail to the ft myers tri people, and they said the race is a definate, but there is no info on it yet so I can not register for it yet. I think I will take your advice and register for the South Beach sprint race. Since it is a Nortek race as least they will have good giveaways, and the web site makes it look like it will be a fun event.

Tell your wife I plan to bring my camera to the Bon Jovi concert and I will send her some pictures. Bon Jovi allows cameras and I am a wanabe professional photographer so I should be able to get some good pictures. I will not be able to bring my "professional lenses" because I dont think they would like that, but I should be able to get some good pics anyway. If she wants I can even pick her up a t-shirt. Let me know.

-Steven

2008-01-21 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1165679

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

squishybelly - 2008-01-19 4:29 PM Went for another run last night, and decided to aim for the mid 140's as my target, and did a pretty decent job of managing it. Finished with an average of 146, with my second half actually a little lower than the first half. mdodd - I'm filing away the TT for a few weeks until I build more of a base. But thanks to both you and Bob for the feedback. New question (I kind of never stop) - if I'm running 3 times a week, does it make sense at this point to try and target 2 runs in Z2, and 1 run with intervals - or do you have other suggestions. I'm only running for just over a 1/2 hour right now, and I'll work to build that up to a full hour over the next couple of weeks. Second question - do you lift weights separately or are you doing a combination of weights / run or bike? I'm not lifting heavy but I tend to be sore for a few days and I'm worried this might impede other training. By the way - if I'm asking too many questions, please just ask me to dial it back a bit.

First off - Keep asking away!  I think that's the best way for us all to learn.  Every question everybody asks is valuable for everyone.  I learned more over the last week by going back and reviewing all the HR stuff before I posted it.

Regarding Intervals - I think they're very valuable.  It doesn't mean you need to sprint as hard as possible, but you can pick up the pace to where you're definitely exerting a lot more effort.  Ease into them with just a couple with plenty of recovery, then you can do a few things to make them more intense as you train more - increase the number of reps, speed up, and reduce the recovery time.

I think doing 1 per week is good as long as your comfortable with your running now.  All of the training plans that go into details other than just minutes use them.

I've started lifting again for the time being, but only because I know I can do it a few times per week during the winter.  That will keep the soreness away.  I think building up strength now definitely helps, but once it warms up, I'll want to take advantage of the weather to run and bike as much as possible, and the lifting will go by the wayside.  I'll keep the core exercises going all the time.

2008-01-21 8:57 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

rjdorman - I would definitely train for an Olympic this year and do one.  That will be another great accomplishment, and in the meantime you'll be improving your times for Sprints, so you can do those as well.  I'm doing a combination of Sprints and Olympics this year.

Steven - I also think the South Beach race would be a great one to do.  You kind of joked about it being an advantage to be at South Beach, but there's a lot that can be said for the venue.  It makes the whole experience that much better and fun!  Plus if that is your first one, a sprint is a great way to start as you get ready for NYC.  Nautica puts on a number of races around the country and I believe they do a great job.

2008-01-21 3:47 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

On to another topic!  Who here does Bilateral Breathing?? 

I'll admit I do it for training, and I'm okay at it, but once it comes to a race, I'm all about getting to the finish and not worrying about that, so it goes by the wayside.

If not Bilateral, who can breathe on either side?  I will say it's definitely important to be comfortable breathing on either side.  It helps training so you don't overuse the muscles one side.  Plus during a race there are a number of advantages - you can site the buoys no matter which side they're on; if the sun is hitting you hard one way, just look the other way; and if your getting kicked and splashed on one side, just starting breathing on the other side.

As an extreme example, this is an actual swim course for a race I'm considering doing in May! Surprised  I can't imagine swimming this and not being able to look in either direction.

I found the best way to practice is to look at the same wall no matter which direction you're going.  Over time, that will ensure that you're stroke is consistent with either side.  I now use breathing on both sides to help me keep track of my yardage.  I'm in a 25 yd pool, so I do down and back on my left for the 1st 50, then the 2nd 50 is on my right.  That way I know I'm always coming up to a 100 when I'm on my right - much easier for me to think that way!

2008-01-21 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
I can only speak from my experience in the pool, but I breath on both sides. Actually right now I am having trouble breathing every third stroke. I find myself going 5 or six strokes before I "remember" to take a breath. This is not a good thing because I am sure it is pushing my hr higher then it needs to go.

I am still converting from my old style of swimming to the TI method and I love the feeling of the water rushing over my head when I keep my head down and the feel of the rhythm I start to create. Actually I have been having trouble flipping because I find I am just starting to get into a good rhythm when I approach the wall. About a third of the time I miss calculate my glide and find myself too close to the wall and need to do an open turn.

There are a few things I really like about the TI stroke. I find that since I am concentrating on driving my hand forward as opposed to the pull I am able to glide through the water with lots of speed with little effort. Right now I would say I average between 10 -15 strokes per length (counting both arms) and the stroke feels very peaceful. I have no idea what my stroke looks like, but it feels good and I have not been experiencing any shoulder pain.

What do you guys think about TI?

-Steven
2008-01-22 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
I agree with you on the TI.  The stroke feels much more fluid, and uses less energy.  I couldn't believe the difference once I got the hang of it.  Now when I see other swimmers in the pool and hear their arms making big splashes, I just shake my head and am glad I don't swim that way anymore.
2008-01-22 6:22 PM
in reply to: #1169352

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Can you describe the TI stroke?
2008-01-23 7:44 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I'll never do Total Immersion justice in a post because it's really a whole new way of swimming if you haven't done it before.  It's characterized by a couple of things:

First is the hand entry that we were describing above.  Rather than moving your recovery arm (the one that's out of the water) in a circular motion and then back down to water fully outstretched, you move it forward with your elbow high and hand just above the water.  You then pierce the water just in front of your head and extend it fully in front of you as you glide forward and your other hand is now pulling the water.

The other major thing about it is that all of that is done while your swimming on your side.  You rotate your whole body to each side while doing the strokes, rather than have your chest pointing down and only turning when you take a breath.  This greatly improves your propulsion.

To learn it, you really need to get the book, and if you're not getting the hang of it, get the dvd as well where they show you the drills.  This is the style that all the top swimmers use.  You can see Michael Phelps doing this style on YouTube, but it's tough to tell sometimes because he's going megafast!

Since your race is only in a few weeks, don't try to learn it before that.  By following the book, you basically relearn a new stroke from scratch, and you won't have enough time before your 2/9 race. 

Learn more about it here:  www.totalimmersion.net

If you get a book, don't start with the Triathlon book, start with their basic book, which oddly enough I don't see on their site, but you can get at a large bookstore or here at amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Total-Immersion-Revolutionary-Better-Faster/dp/0743253434/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201095654&sr=8-1

2008-01-23 10:29 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

I just posted this in my blog, but if you don't see that, here's another way to help you lose the bulge Cool

Irish Diet
An Irishman was terribly overweight, so his doctor put him on a diet.
"I want you to eat regularly for 2 days, then skip a full day, and repeat
this procedure for 2 weeks. The next time I see you, you should have
lost at least 5 pounds."

When the Irishman returned, he shocked the doctor by having lost
nearly 60 POUNDS!

"Why, that's amazing!" the doctor said, "Did you follow my
instructions?"

The Irishman nodded..."I'll tell you though, by jaesuz, I t'aut I were
going to drop dead on dat 3rd day."

"From hunger, you mean?"
"No, from f**kin' skippin", the Irishman said

2008-01-23 10:54 AM
in reply to: #1171294

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Wendy

Bob's info is great. To add to this, there are also some articles here on BT by Terry Laughlin, founder of TI. Here is a link to one of my favorites. It describes the stroke somewhat, but more it describes the 'attitude' of TI swimming technique. You can link to the other articles from this page. http://beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1189

Mark
2008-01-24 8:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Re: bilateral breathing, I have been practicing this all winter. Last year I started working on it, but when crunch time came and I was worried about being able to go nonstop for the .6 mi distance for my sprint I quit worrying about it and just breathed on my right side. I think this really hampered my ability to swim relatively straight, which in turn really made me slow in my race swim.

Has any one made this change and seen it pay off in terms of being able to swim in more of a straight line in open water? On this same note, how do others incorporate sighting into their stroke. I've read a little, including the TI comments. Just wondering how people are actually doing it.

Thanks, Mark
2008-01-25 10:36 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Mark,

Can't really comment on whether it makes a difference, but I try to really practise the bilateral breathing. The only problem is that after a few lengths I find I'm not getting enough air, so I switch back to one side - but this feels like it hinders the"flow" of my stroke. (There really is no flow, hence the need to learn to swim instead of sink, but it certainly doesn't feel as fluid).

Got in a short swim in the afternoon and short bike this evening. Aiming ofr an hour run tomorrow (longest time to date), and follow that up with swimming Sunday morning, immediately followed by running home (about 5.5K).
2008-01-26 6:17 PM
in reply to: #1171294

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Thanks guys - my second race is in Vegas in April...I'll get the book and DVD and work towards that race (after the first one). I have the book Triathlon for Women and it had a great section in there from Barb Lundquist describing, basically, the stroke you're talking about

2008-01-28 6:57 AM

User image

Rochester, New York
Cannot bilateral breathe. Feel like a near drowning victim every time i try it...
2008-01-28 1:32 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Bob,

Question about Core Work. I've seen you mention that a few times but I'm rather fuzzy on what is involved. Could you provide a little more detail?

Thanks

2008-01-28 3:56 PM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

Once the race hits, I've generally decided against bilateral - especially at the start.  With all the commotion and crowds, I'm far more comfortable just breathing on one side.  It's something I'd like to work on though, because in the pool I feel that my stroke is much smoother and relaxed doing bilateral.  But maybe it's too relaxed, because I don't go as fast bilateral.

I did learn the hard way though that I don't swim straight when I breathe on my right!  During my first race I switched to my right side after the turnaround just to even things out.  Don't you know I was suddenly headed away from the the buoys.  I made an adjustment, but then I was headed in the wrong direction again.  So I went back to my left (the side I grew up swimming on) and I was fine.  I went back to the pool to work on it, and I'm better at going straight, but since then I only breathe on whichever side where the buoys are so I can keep them in view.

That brings up sighting.  I only try to look for the buoys every once in a while, or else I would get to discouraged by seeing how far away they still are!  To sight them, I keep my head (eyes only) out of the water a bit extra and look forward to find it, then put it in the water.  That seems to work best for me.

2008-01-28 4:18 PM
in reply to: #1180067

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

squishybelly - 2008-01-28 2:32 PM Bob, Question about Core Work. I've seen you mention that a few times but I'm rather fuzzy on what is involved. Could you provide a little more detail? Thanks

Good question!  This was going to be my new "Topic of the Week!"  In a nutshell, your muscles from your thighs up through your hips, glutes, abs, back, and sides are typically referred to as your core.  This is because virtually every movement you do uses at least some of these muscles.

There seems to be a lot more info written on the importance of it over the last year than I've ever seen.  Even Runners World devoted its front cover of either the Feb or Mar issue to it (orange color with a runner and his 6 pack on the cover).  They gave a set of 10 exercises that some of the Olympians (including the one on the cover) are doing 6 days per week.  The idea is that these muscles help triathletes in all aspects - think of twisting in swimming, your balance on your bike, lifting your legs, and keeping your posture in running.  It also helps you everyday by improving your posture, keeping away back pain - and really just making you feel better!

So core exercises are far more than pounding out sit ups, but you want to work on all parts in a session.  The nice thing is you don't even need any equipment, so you can do them at home.  If there was one though that I would recommend, it would be to get a Swiss Ball (a big rubber blow up ball!) for like 10 bucks.

I generally go through 2 sets of swiss ball crunches, bicycles, back extensions, pushups, swiss ball pushups, flanks, side flanks, leg raises, hip raises, twisting swiss ball crunches etc. for about 30 mins.

Here are a couple links (what else is new!).  The first is here on the BT site.  These give you some moving pictures of a number of exercices.  The others are a few sets from Mike Ricci's D3 site.  If you use any of the intermediate plans, Ricci incorporates core work 3 days per week (as do most other coaches).  These plans refer to these sets.  I've linked the first 3 plans, there are 3 others that are more advanced on the site as well.

Have a look at the exercises and start with a few so that you hit all the different parts, then you can add in others, as well as add reps and sets.  If you start too hard, you'll be very sore if you're not use to it!  These links will give you a wide variety which is good to keep it fresh.  I definitely feel great after getting in the habit of doing these exercises.  Once the season starts and I don't have as much time to lift, I still keep doing these.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/core1.html

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/core2.html

http://www.d3multisport.com/articles/core3.html

2008-01-29 1:27 PM

User image

Central New Hampshire
Willie and all, just wanted to pop in and let you know I'm still here and learning from everything posted. This is awesome, awesome stuff. I feel so lucky to be able to try to sponge all this info as a newbie.

BTW I am ready for spring!

2008-01-29 7:23 PM
in reply to: #1181984

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA

BTW I am ready for spring!

Amen to that brother!
2008-01-30 11:09 PM

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
Ready for spring! I don't know about y'all but we've had more snow this season than we've seen for a long time.
It's great for skiing and snowshoeing - but my 62 mile commute to work can be one nasty at times
2008-01-31 7:59 AM

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh

That's a pretty long commute - to say the least!

It's funny you mention the snow though, because last night I was thinking the exact opposite!  I haven't even dusted off my snowblower this year.  We've probably only gotten a total of 6 inches so far this winter.

Too bad it's not warm though....

2008-02-01 6:09 PM
in reply to: #1185727

User image

Swan Valley, Idaho
You are kidding right? I've been stuck in Idaho Falls three nights - waited at a road block in Swan Valley for 4 hours this week and I couldn't get to work today (missed work... cry me a river right?)
The bad part is it's too windy for outdoor sports and I'm missing the gym when I can't get to Idaho Falls - we could use a break in the weather soon.
I've been using the bikes at the gym and have a line on a Fuji Croos-comp for when I can actually see the roads. The techs there said it's a good compromise for people who train on dirt roads and compete on dirt/pavement. (I also have an "in" as far as pricing). Any comments on this?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » willie05's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 10