Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-01-04 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1134157

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: apw0397's group - CLOSED

I would love to hear about some of those workouts as well. I am utilizing BT's 3x per event a week 20 week plan for sprint and I simply log the time and try to keep my heart rate in the aerobic zone. This gets a bit boring and I am wondering if I should be doing more. Thanks

When starting out running, I don't recommend speed work. Steady aerobic running is the only way to get started. If you find yourself getting bored, try different routes. Try driving to a park and running around there.

Swimming is the area where you can really get bored if you just swim for a certain number of minutes. I typically divide the set up like this:

Warm up

Some mix of freestyle, kicking (no kickboards!), non-free, and pull

Transition

Drills, freestyle with some kind of focus area (stroke count, fast hands, hand position)

Main Set

The largest section of the workout. Be creative. If you have 300 to swim, do 3x100. Or do 6x50. Or a combination of 25s, 50s, 100s, etc.

A ladder is a great way to do the distance. Try doing 50, 100, 150, 100, 50.

Cool down

An easy lap or two, free or non-free.

Here's a sample 600 meter (or yard) workout

Warm up - 50 free, 50 kick w/ fins

Transition - 4x25 drill. Drills - Shark fin, Finger tip drag, Fists, Catchup. Use fins if you aren't comfortable with the drills yet.

Main set - 4x25 free Rest Interval :15, 2x50 free RI: 30, 1x100 free

Cool down - 100 free, very easy

2008-01-04 4:34 PM
in reply to: #1102477

Veteran
Orange County, CA
Okay, I have a bike question. During climbs, is it best to stay in my saddle or out? I notice a difference in where the power comes from (as in muscle use) either way (does that make sense).

I took a 90 minute spin class today and although I was able to hang in there, it is most obviously my weakest event. I am doing a sprint training program that includes 2-2-3 (swim-run-bike) workouts, but with a long run on the weekend to keep me conditioned for half marathon training.

Bike gear questions: Much like buying running shoes, do I buy bike shoes a size or more larger than my regular shoe size?

Lisa
2008-01-04 11:22 PM

User image

Happy New Year fellow group members!

Trying to get back on track from binging over the holidays...

My plans for 2008 are to do an Oly and 2 marathons. Currently I've been alternating run training and snowboarding. I have to start scheduling in some biking and swim. Weather here in NJ have been too cold (for me) to bike outside so I'll probably be using my rollers and/or trainer. I've been using TI for my swimming and I'm thinking of getting a swim coach. Any suggestions as to what to ask for?

2008-01-05 7:21 AM
in reply to: #1134308

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Subject: RE: Weekend Plans
I plan on a:

5-8 Mile bike today with a 3 mile run (when it warms up a little)

Long run Sunday maybe 8 miles (see how I feel)

I need to get through a full bike ride without blowing a tire. I just got the slime tubes (self healing) so that should help. Last bike I was 2-3 miles out from the house and had to walk back - Now I have spare tubes, wrenches, levers and a pump. I am prepared for battle.
2008-01-05 10:29 AM
in reply to: #1134586

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

sunmonkey72 - 2008-01-04 4:34 PM Okay, I have a bike question. During climbs, is it best to stay in my saddle or out? I notice a difference in where the power comes from (as in muscle use) either way (does that make sense). I took a 90 minute spin class today and although I was able to hang in there, it is most obviously my weakest event. I am doing a sprint training program that includes 2-2-3 (swim-run-bike) workouts, but with a long run on the weekend to keep me conditioned for half marathon training. Bike gear questions: Much like buying running shoes, do I buy bike shoes a size or more larger than my regular shoe size? Lisa

When on a normal training ride I would just sit. If I'm doing a hill repeat workout, I'll alternate standing and sitting each repeat. When you stand, you will get up the hill a little faster at the expense of elevating your heart rate and straining your legs. I like to slide back in the saddle and spin up at a 90-100 rpm cadence. It takes a bit of patience, but it pays off.

When I do this in races, I find that my legs feel better and I can attack as soon as I get to the top of the hill. I see a lot of people attack hills standing up only to fade 1/2way up or once they get to the top. If you spin up, you don't lose much speed, but you have more "go" once you get to the top.

I've honestly never heard about buying shoes a size larger. I know if you have done a hard workout (run or bike) that you may have swelling in your feet, which could result in buying shoes that are too big. Other than that, I dunno. Is there a good bike shop in your area?

2008-01-05 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1135301

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

My plans for 2008 are to do an Oly and 2 marathons. Currently I've been alternating run training and snowboarding. I have to start scheduling in some biking and swim. Weather here in NJ have been too cold (for me) to bike outside so I'll probably be using my rollers and/or trainer. I've been using TI for my swimming and I'm thinking of getting a swim coach. Any suggestions as to what to ask for?

Make sure that you explain to your coach that you are a triathlete. You don't want to train for speed. You want efficiency. It's very different. You can imagine that an Olympic marathoner has different training than a sprinter. Both are running, but one is pure speed and power, one is endurance and efficiency. Make sure your coach understands that.

2008-01-05 10:35 AM
in reply to: #1135476

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

TriPainter - 2008-01-05 7:21 AM I plan on a: 5-8 Mile bike today with a 3 mile run (when it warms up a little) Long run Sunday maybe 8 miles (see how I feel) I need to get through a full bike ride without blowing a tire. I just got the slime tubes (self healing) so that should help. Last bike I was 2-3 miles out from the house and had to walk back - Now I have spare tubes, wrenches, levers and a pump. I am prepared for battle.

Hmm...why are you blowing so many tires? Are you finding all the loose rocks on the road and puncturing?

What kind of inflation pressure are you using? Check the rating on your tire. If you underinflate or overinflate you increase the chance of a blowout.

Walking back sucks. I was 6 miles from home once and didn't have a spare. Had to call a friend to come pick me up. Lesson learned - ALWAYS make sure you have a spare.

2008-01-05 11:27 AM
in reply to: #1135655

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
Went to the bike shop this morning and I had a burr inside the tire (metal) - I changed out the tire and put in a new tube - seemed much better today. Boy those slime tubes make a mess when they pop (FYI) - Just did 6 mi on bike and 5k run - transistion could use a little work but it was fun.

Edited by TriPainter 2008-01-05 11:29 AM
2008-01-05 1:29 PM
in reply to: #1135708

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

TriPainter - 2008-01-05 11:27 AM Went to the bike shop this morning and I had a burr inside the tire (metal) - I changed out the tire and put in a new tube - seemed much better today. Boy those slime tubes make a mess when they pop (FYI) - Just did 6 mi on bike and 5k run - transistion could use a little work but it was fun.

That'll do it. I'm sure they told you the same thing at the bike shop, but I'll say it for everyone else. Whenever you have a flat, flip your tire inside out and run your fingers all along it and make sure you don't have anything sticking in it like a nail or something. Also check your rim (the metal part) for burrs and such. Otherwise, you'll have a constant flatting issue.

2008-01-05 11:42 PM
in reply to: #1134146

Veteran
Orange County, CA
coach p - 2008-01-04 2:29 PM

OK, question for the group. The weather out here in Sunny Northern California has been lousy and we are in the start of a 10 year storm and it has been very late (already dark) most of the time when I get to my workouts so I have been on the roller thing for my bike a lot. I am wondering if you know how this work will translate to the road when the weather finally clears. Also any suggestions as to how to make the workout more accurate to real conditions or any pitfalls I should be looking out for.

Also, what gear should I be using on the bike and how should I work the gearing on the roller thing. I usually start at its lowest setting 0 to warm up then go to about 3 or 4 for the most of my workout and then get about a 5-10 minute period on the toughest setting 6. I usually keep the bike in a mid-range gear and leave it there unless I have to back down a gear to get a rising heart rate down a little.

Is this a good technique, is there a better one, and is there anything I should worry about?

Where do you live?? I live in South Orange County (not far from Irvine).

I don't have a roller thing yet. Heck, I don't even have those nifty newfangled shoes that you literally FASTEN into the pedals. What sick-minded person thought up such a crazy device? Isn't it like driving a car handcuffed to the steering wheel?

Good luck on your workouts. Here's hoping it gets sunny soon and we can get back to long days of absolutely no weather patterns.
2008-01-06 2:55 PM
in reply to: #1136753

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Heck, I don't even have those nifty newfangled shoes that you literally FASTEN into the pedals. What sick-minded person thought up such a crazy device? Isn't it like driving a car handcuffed to the steering wheel?

It sounds crazy at first, but it really helps you go faster and save energy. Clipping into your pedals lets you get a more circular pedal motion. It's more natural than just pushing down. You also get the added bonus of using the upward motion of the pedal stroke. It may not seem like much, but you get a lot more power when you pedal.

It's a little intimidating to be clipped in at first. But heck, what about this sport isn't intimidating at some point? You go for it, find out it's not so bad, and move on to the next thing.

Edited by apw0397 2008-01-06 2:56 PM

2008-01-06 8:02 PM

New user

Andy-

what are your thoughts on adding some extra runs to a swim-focused program? I know rest is important, but I had a run today that made me rethink my choice in plans (swim focused vs. run focused). I enjoy swimming much more than running, that's why I picked it, but I've been getting my kicked since I was sick on 1/2-1/3. I'm thinking it was partially my body not being 100% (although I feel fine)...I'm expecting this week to go a little better.

Also, what's your take on treadmill vs. road? TM is a ton easier (and more forgiving on body)and 1 road mile affects my HR/breathing like 2+ miles on a TM.
2008-01-07 6:10 AM

User image

Regular
Charlotte, NC
I bought some hand paddles to try to build more upper body strength in the pool. Should I use them at the beginning of my workout - the end - or the whole time?
2008-01-07 6:24 AM
in reply to: #1137751

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

jjsbu22 - 2008-01-06 8:02 PM Andy- what are your thoughts on adding some extra runs to a swim-focused program? I know rest is important, but I had a run today that made me rethink my choice in plans (swim focused vs. run focused). I enjoy swimming much more than running, that's why I picked it, but I've been getting my kicked since I was sick on 1/2-1/3. I'm thinking it was partially my body not being 100% (although I feel fine)...I'm expecting this week to go a little better. Also, what's your take on treadmill vs. road? TM is a ton easier (and more forgiving on body)and 1 road mile affects my HR/breathing like 2+ miles on a TM.

Nothing wrong with getting in some extra miles. Just make sure that you listen to your body. Start with one extra run a week. If after a couple of weeks you feel good, add another short one. If you feel like crap, back it off. You don't want to overtrain. A good way to see if you are overtraining is testing your resting heart rate (RHR). Do it every day first thing in the morning. It should stay pretty consistent, though it may get lower as you get into better shape. However, if you notice a spike one day, like it's 64 when it's normally 48, that's a sign of overtraining. Another sign is if you just can't seem to get your HR up during a workout.

I usually do a run per week on the dreadmill. Having a nice, flat, soft surface is good for the knees. I find that I can't run as fast on it, but it's all about HR and time. If you have your body moving, what's the difference?

It also gives me a chance to work on form. There is a mirror to the left of the dreadmills at Lifetime where I work out, so I can check out my form and see if I have any movement that is wasting energy.

2008-01-07 6:27 AM
in reply to: #1138203

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

TriPainter - 2008-01-07 6:10 AM I bought some hand paddles to try to build more upper body strength in the pool. Should I use them at the beginning of my workout - the end - or the whole time?

Change it up. Don't use them the whole time. Alternate.

One thing our coach does is have us do a set without and then with. Here was our main set on Thursday:

8x25 swim @:45
4x50 swim @1:15
2x100 swim @2:30
1x200 swim @4:30
1x200 kick @4:30
1x200 pull @4:00
2x100 pull @2:30
4x50 pull @1:15
8x25 pull @:45

Basically, you want to use them to work on strength but also on FORM. That's way more important. They should give you good feedback on hand position. Extra strength is definitely a benefit, but not the major goal.

2008-01-07 7:29 AM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Hey folks. One of the things I hear from new folks first getting into tris is "What do I wear?" It can be kind of intimidating to plop down the cash on $50 tri shorts and possible a tri top. There are several "teams" you can join by applying online. Team Javelin is one of those teams.

Basically, you agree to wear their stuff and for $25 they send you a team uniform. There's nothing else to it really. For them, they get free advertising (Javelin makes tri bikes) by making you a walking billboard, and for us, we get a $25 tri suit (one piece or two piece).

All you need to do is fill out the application on their site and they get back to you. The earlier you sign up, the more likely you are to get in. And don't think that you need to be training for an Ironman to sign up. It may help, but my wife got in with 2 sprints on her schedule.

Please note that I don't get anything from Javelin; I'm just passing along the FYI.

2008-01-07 4:19 PM

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Hard to believe that Monday is almost over. What are your goals for the week?

Mine are to

• Swim an extra 100 at Masters just because. 
  • Kick tail on my Run LT test on Wednesday. That means I want more than 2.78 miles this time. I WILL do it.
  • Fix my Aerobottle bracket onto my bike so I can get outside on Saturday again and ride, ride, ride.
2008-01-07 6:25 PM

User image

• 10M long run
  • Gonna try to get a swim session in (drills)
  • Interval run
  • Still waiting for the Kuota
2008-01-07 6:45 PM
in reply to: #1137268

Veteran
Orange County, CA
apw0397 - 2008-01-06 2:55 PM

Heck, I don't even have those nifty newfangled shoes that you literally FASTEN into the pedals. What sick-minded person thought up such a crazy device? Isn't it like driving a car handcuffed to the steering wheel?

It sounds crazy at first, but it really helps you go faster and save energy. Clipping into your pedals lets you get a more circular pedal motion. It's more natural than just pushing down. You also get the added bonus of using the upward motion of the pedal stroke. It may not seem like much, but you get a lot more power when you pedal.

It's a little intimidating to be clipped in at first. But heck, what about this sport isn't intimidating at some point? You go for it, find out it's not so bad, and move on to the next thing.

Yeah, I know. I'm still saving up my money. Besides, I got my shoelace stuck in the crank during my first ti last year and had to stop and unwind it. I am lucky I didn't crash.

I like that last part. I'm a really very fearless person.
2008-01-07 11:17 PM

User image

Regular
Austin, TX
Sorry guys, been MIA due to some traveling. I'm still working with a PT to iron out all the leg issues, so it looks like a lot of swimming for me over the next couple days. Goal this week is to hit a masters session and swim 5000m.
2008-01-08 7:49 AM

New user

I'm looking to get an extra run in this week on Thursday and up the intensity on the stationary bike. It has been 70 degrees here in the DC area for the last two days, so that has me itching to get to my LBS and get the modifications done to my MB. Need to get that HR monitor soon too.

I have to say, I've played hockey and lacrosse which requires a lot of equipment, but this sport is the most expensive of the lot - even if you don't need a bike.

Also want to focus on my stroke in the pool as opposed to just getting laps in. I can hold a 15-17 stroke count (per 25 meters) during the first 100 meters of any set distance (<70 strokes/100 meters) but then the wheels fall off and I'm around 18-21 for the second 100 meters of a 200-500 meter rep.

2008-01-08 7:59 AM
in reply to: #1141199

New user
jjsbu22 - 2008-01-08 8:49 AM

I'm looking to get an extra run in this week on Thursday and up the intensity on the stationary bike. It has been 70 degrees here in the DC area for the last two days, so that has me itching to get to my LBS and get the modifications done to my MB. Need to get that HR monitor soon too.

I have to say, I've played hockey and lacrosse which requires a lot of equipment, but this sport is the most expensive of the lot - even if you don't need a bike.

Also want to focus on my stroke in the pool as opposed to just getting laps in. I can hold a 15-17 stroke count (per 25 meters) during the first 100 meters of any set distance (<70 strokes/100 meters) but then the wheels fall off and I'm around 18-21 for the second 100 meters of a 200-500 meter rep.

I ran at lunch yesterday around the reflecting pond...so nice out, isn't it? I think I might do the tidal basin today. Where do you swim? I'm at the Y in Alexandria. What's your LBS? I love Conte's in Alexandria.
2008-01-08 8:36 AM

User image

Mt Pleasant, SC
I started a new high tech training plan for my run this week. I generally run through a very large development, so each time I go out, I do not turn around until I reach one more street on the left hand side. Very innovative I know, hopefully I will not forget the name of the street signs.
2008-01-08 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1141230

New user

ryannmo - 2008-01-08 7:59 AM

jjsbu22 - 2008-01-08 8:49 AM

I ran at lunch yesterday around the reflecting pond...so nice out, isn't it? I think I might do the tidal basin today. Where do you swim? I'm at the Y in Alexandria. What's your LBS? I love Conte's in Alexandria.

I swim in chantilly, run/bike in Tysons and live out in Haymarket...
2008-01-08 8:53 AM
in reply to: #1140168

User image

Master
McKinney, TX

Still waiting for the Kuota

Waiting sucks. This time last year I was waiting for my bike to come in. DIdn't get it till early March. Uf.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » apw0397's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16