BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-01-11 2:29 PM
in reply to: #1150394

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Full

I'm jealous! Enjoy the beauty of the desert while your there and have a great race!

If you want a great place to eat, (a little pricey) check out the Ocean Club at Kierland Commons on N. Scottsdale Rd. Ask for Darin, he's my little brother and head waiter there. He'll take great care of you and tell him I sent you. 

Good Luck. 

2008-01-14 4:17 PM
in reply to: #1103805

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 3: 2008

So, how did your training go last week?

Seems like we have all been busy and it can sometimes be tough to get it all in, but of course, we do the best we can

Topic of the Week: Which discipline (Run/Bike/Swim) do you think is your strongest. It is almost cliche that most Triathletes started out as Injured Runners looking for some good cross-training. Of course, competitive swimmers and strong cyclists are also attracted to the sport as well.

Knowing you strenghs is great for being able to identify those aspects that we need to work on in training. "Train Your Weakness, Race Your Strength" as they say.

Hope everyone is having a great Monday.

2008-01-14 7:33 PM
in reply to: #1155652

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: RE: Week 3: 2008
WaterDog66 - 2008-01-14 4:17 PM

Topic of the Week: Which discipline (Run/Bike/Swim) do you think is your strongest. It is almost cliche that most Triathletes started out as Injured Runners looking for some good cross-training. Of course, competitive swimmers and strong cyclists are also attracted to the sport as well.

Knowing you strenghs is great for being able to identify those aspects that we need to work on in training. "Train Your Weakness, Race Your Strength" as they say.

I got into this sideways, doing the swim portion of a relay.  After I got out of the water in what felt like no time, I was looking around saying "Is that it?  I'm done now?"  So I guess I'd say I'm a competent swimmer (consistently around 1:45-1:50/100 indoors when I'm swimming regularly), but I'm looking for improvement on the swim, especially after some disappointment in my OWS efforts last year.

Biking has been a surprising strength for me.  I had always balked at biking, for several reasons - the time commitment it took to get a good workout (I'm a max your effort in minimal time kind of girl), the monetary commitment to get a bike, etc.  Last year when I decided to actually do this, I bought a decent road bike, and intended to put the time in... and then got a ticket for a half marathon at the last minute that pushed me into minimizing my biking time so I could increase my run training fast enough to put out a fair enough showing for the half.  Despite all that and not really biking much until June, I put out pretty decent bike splits (4th in my AG for one race, 3rd for the other, I think).  So now, with one season under my belt I'm realizing that biking may surprisingly be my strongest discipline.  I barely know how to take care of my bike, but it sure takes care of me!

Running... eh.  Love/hate relationship with it.  I've run, off and on, for years for fitness (see maximum effort, minimal time theory above). I always said you could run a clock off of my regular 10 minute mile pace, and that I'd never get any faster.  Well, last year when I a.) lost a little weight and b.) ran longer distances, I took a minute off that pace, which only got me hungry for more.  While I'd like to see a little bit more improvement, I'm realistic that this will always likely be my weakest discipline.  I'm not spending that much time on it right now (I despise indoor running and while I do run in the cold, I often opt for other choices), but I should start hitting it hard come March, especially if I end up in a May half-marathon.

2008-01-14 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

I must be Kanders' twin. 

I started triathlon thinking that my strength was swimming.  (Well, I thought I was mediocre at all three sports, to be honest)  I got into the pool for our first practice and ended up in the fast lane, leading everyone off, by the end of the day.  Now, by the end of the season, I was 3rd out of the ocean and usually bottom of the top 1/3 of my age group for the swim.....so, not bad, but not spectacular.

I'm a real crap runner.  I never ran before in my life-- played tennis in high school and we ran sprints.  The thought of running 3 miles, even after my first triathlon, scared the pants off of me.  Now I'm feeling better, but the gains come slowly and my times are always pretty slow in comparison to the better girls in my age group.

Cycling is my strength, much to my surprise.  I was unremarkable on my mountain bike, but when I upgraded to my beginner road bike, I flew....relatively speaking, of course.   I love being out there and going fast.  This is because I haven't crashed yet.  I fear that when I do crash, the speed will disappear!  At any rate, my biggest achievement on the bike was taking the fastest bike split of the girls' relay division in Long Beach.....I loved the course and remembering that is what is motivating me to go out and get a tri bike.  (More on this later--- I've been saying I would get one for months yet but I'm too chicken to pull the trigger!)

Tim, how was the marathon this weekend?? 

2008-01-14 10:08 PM

Extreme Veteran
My training last week went well, my volume is increasing and i hope to keep them here. I did a couple slow long runs and liked the way they felt so I might do a couple more this week. I signed up for 75 miles for the run challenge and will finish that up tomorrow, guess I should have signed up for 150 miles.

I dont think that i have a strength in any of the 3 sports. I do love to bike... i feel good doing it and wish I could do it more. But then again there is nothing better than a great long run.. I think i just love being active and outside.

I guess the swim is my weak area. I seem to be able to hold 2:00 per 100 over 3k but anything much faster than that whoops me. I dont find swimming that fun to train but I do what I can to get some time in the water.
2008-01-15 11:20 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

I came into Triathlons as a strong swimmer and an average cyclist. I have surfed since I was a wee lad and swimming has always been a great way to keep the paddling arms in good condition during the winter months when I could not be in the water every day. I picked up cycling in college and even did a few distance races and centuries.

But, when I started training for my first Triathlon, I realized that running was my biggest weakness. It was quite frustrating to be one of the first folks out of the water and hold my own on the bike, only to get chased down by almost everyone on the run.

I took 2006 and focused on running. I ended up doing 3 Half Marathons and 4 full marathons and my run does not suck as bad as it once did. I am still focused on the run for Triathlons but have come to really enjoy running and marathoning. I now switch between Triathlons Spring/Summer and Marathons (Fall/Winter).

Last week was a bit rough and ready with my training. We went to Arizona for the RnR Marathon. My DW and her friend were both racing. DW did the Half and her friend did her first Marathon. I was the sherpa and had to defer my workouts in favor of the runners and things that needed to get done. (Expo, Carb Dinner, Driving the Course etc.)

I ended up doing my 15 mile run during the race bounding to different parts of the course to see them go by and cheer them on. This was a bit challenging because at RnR the Half and the Full are different courses and so timing it all got quite interesting.

I was again reminding that it gets really tough to do math when your starting to run low on energy. (Late in the run) It all went well and everyone had a great time.

Just heading into another build week and my plan has a cutback scheduled for just before Surf City Half Marathon. (A Tuneup Race) Should be interesting to see how things shake out in terms of fitness. Gonna set my race goal for Ironman California with the results from the Tuneup Race.

Train Well Everyone

2008-01-15 12:54 PM

User image

New user

SUNDAY: The end of week 1#- I'm pretty happy with my diligent efforts of curbing my caloric intake on a daily basis as well as tracking my meals. I like this site for having that feature.
Because of my focused effort to eat more healthy, I am happy to report that I have lost 8.3 LBS!!!! My body fat% went down 1 percentage point. I know based on history and common knowledge that usually most of that is water but needless to say, I'm still happy about the results thus far.
I feel pretty good so far. My energy is up, I don't feel so bloated and slovenly, and I'm sleeping better. I'm geared up for Week 2# and look forward to what I will accomplish then. Have a great Training Week Folks!!!!
2008-01-15 4:19 PM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia

Hey there, Team Waterdog!

Last week was good overall. I am working on lengthening the distance of my LSD run each week and got in a long run of 8 miles (I know it is not that long of a long run, but before long I will be in double digits again).  I also got back in the pool and remembered that I really do enjoy swimming after all (even if I am slooooow).

This week is a bit more challenging because work is busier, and I have several evening meetings (including tonight).  I am telling myself to heed Tim Gunn's advice and "make it work."

With only a year of racing under my belt, I am not sure my strength has emerged.  I can say with certainty that it is not my swimmingSmile.  If you took a snapshot right now it would be my running since I come from a running background (my run splits are in the top third of my AG).  However, I think I have potential on the bike since I generally finished toward the middle of my AG with little cycling experience.  I think I might be built for cycling (small on top with stronger legs).  So we will see how I do this year with a real cycling base under my belt - I plan for my trainer to get lots of use this winter!

I hope you all have a great training week!

2008-01-16 3:18 PM

User image

Royal Oak, MI

Where is the box for none of the above! LOL! Embarassed

In high school, I played varsity baseball and golf… not exactly triathlon events. I think the closest thing to a strength I have right now may be my cycling, and I only say that because that seems to be where I feel most comfortable. Four years ago when I was living in Scottsdale, I used to run/hike up Camelback Mountain and Squaw Peak. I would try to beat my time to the summit and back to my truck each week. I was spending a lot of time then running, but somehow I caved into the Detroit winter weather and became much more sedentary over the past three years. Finally, after gaining 25 lbs since my move, I committed myself to living the more “Southwest/So.Cal. Lifestyle”, which is much different from the traditional “Midwest winter remote pushin’, smoke, fast food, dunkin’ chocolate doughnuts in mayo lifestyle”.

Even though I can’t claim any as a real strength, I know from time in the pool I need much more time in the pool! The swim is my weakness. The other two may just come more naturally. The videos on BT have really given me drills to focus on that will improve every discipline. So much information… so much work… I hope I can pull it all together. I’m still trying to keep it simple, yet my personality drives me to absorb and implement every piece of knowledge I attain.

Overall, I’m enjoying my training and think that I’m headed in the right direction, even if the information gets thick at times.

2008-01-16 3:24 PM
in reply to: #1160201

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
VooDreu - 2008-01-16 1:18 PM

Where is the box for none of the above! LOL! Embarassed

In high school, I played varsity baseball and golf… not exactly triathlon events. I think the closest thing to a strength I have right now may be my cycling, and I only say that because that seems to be where I feel most comfortable. Four years ago when I was living in Scottsdale, I used to run/hike up Camelback Mountain and Squaw Peak. I would try to beat my time to the summit and back to my truck each week. I was spending a lot of time then running, but somehow I caved into the Detroit winter weather and became much more sedentary over the past three years. Finally, after gaining 25 lbs since my move, I committed myself to living the more “Southwest/So.Cal. Lifestyle”, which is much different from the traditional “Midwest winter remote pushin’, smoke, fast food, dunkin’ chocolate doughnuts in mayo lifestyle”.

Even though I can’t claim any as a real strength, I know from time in the pool I need much more time in the pool! The swim is my weakness. The other two may just come more naturally. The videos on BT have really given me drills to focus on that will improve every discipline. So much information… so much work… I hope I can pull it all together. I’m still trying to keep it simple, yet my personality drives me to absorb and implement every piece of knowledge I attain.

Overall, I’m enjoying my training and think that I’m headed in the right direction, even if the information gets thick at times.

I was out in the Phx area last weekend for the marathon. Did my long run on Sunday and ran right past Squaw Peak. I have hiked to the top a few times and it is a lot of fun. (Mt. Biking on South Mountain was fun too)

That's great that your enjoying your training. (We do a lot of it so enjoying it is important) Heck, that is what attracted me to the sport in the first place. (Being able to train at the beach when the waves sucked)

2008-01-16 5:16 PM
in reply to: #1155989

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Subject: RE: Cadence Article

Thanks again for the Cycling Cadence article. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=433

So, I think I'm going to combine both low and high cadence intervals into my cycling training.  I'm so new that I believe I need to increase my overall strength (pushing higher gears for longer periods) but I know that I'll want to rely overall on racing with a higher cadence to use the slow twitch fibers, saving myself for the run.

Great article! 

2008-01-16 5:33 PM

Extreme Veteran
I wish I was more of a high cadence rider. Maybe that will be my focus next off season or base building time. I just cant seem to keep myself small ring so that my rpm's will be faster. I am always telling myself that I need to push a smaller gear but it is umcomfortable for my turn over to be that quick. Not painful uncomfortable it just doesnt feel right to me... i dont know why.

2008-01-16 10:07 PM
in reply to: #1160542

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

Well, I have a question for Team Waterdog here!

I've been saying I would buy a tri bike this season for the past few months....ever since I took my Trek 1000 into the Subaru San Diego race and it wouldn't shift into the big ring on one of the best time trial courses in the country.  Obviously, I still haven't made the purchase....I have trouble committing to big purchases.

Anyway, here's the situation.  I probably won't be doing any group rides with other cyclists.  I do climb hills, but who doesn't?  I am serious about triathlon.  I am willing to keep my Trek 1000.  (It isn't quite right, though....either that, or the horrid chain I got it from is useless in the maintenance department)  On my Trek, I was averaging 18-19 mph in longer sprints, and in the short (6 mi) sprints, I could sustain 22-23 mph.  I am unwilling to spend more than $1500 on a tri bike, so that limits me to a few choices.

So, given my limitations, will a tri bike that's bottom of the line be better than my Shimano Sora-equipped Trek 1000?  Will I notice a difference in speed?  Would you take the leap this year, or just muddle along with the beginner bike and strap the aerobars on it?

I'm looking at the Felt S32, but the Trek Equinox 5 and the Cervelo Dual also qualify.....as do used bikes.  I've found a good shop that I trust here, so I would do it all through them......

Anyone made the switch recently and want to chime in?  I'm looking at bumping up from sprint distance to Olympic by April, and am contemplating HIM in August.....(or at least the Aquabike)

Edited by mtngirlincali 2008-01-16 10:08 PM
2008-01-17 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1160542

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN

baggyman - 2008-01-16 5:33 PM I wish I was more of a high cadence rider. Maybe that will be my focus next off season or base building time. I just cant seem to keep myself small ring so that my rpm's will be faster. I am always telling myself that I need to push a smaller gear but it is umcomfortable for my turn over to be that quick. Not painful uncomfortable it just doesnt feel right to me... i dont know why.

I think I know that feeling of which you speak... in some ways, it just doesn't seem "right" to be turning over that quickly.  It's like your body wants there to be more resistance somehow. 

I've compromised for now by trying to stay at 85 (which I think is bottom range for cadence), reaching to 90 when it's feeling good.  And I definitely notice a difference when I shift to stay at that cadence while I'm climbing hills - I climb more strongly than those who stay in bigger gears and try to just gut it out.   

2008-01-18 8:01 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia

I am a little late on response to the question about transitions, but I wanted to say ditto to what all others have said.  Also, I wanted to share a thread on Runner's World's triathlon discussion that was very helpful to me before my first triathlon: 

http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/943106038/m/2891002323?r=4031002133#4031002133

I reiterate the recommendation to practice, practice, practice - we practiced them during our bricks on the weekends.  I also visualized the process in my head to hammer it home.

2008-01-18 11:40 AM
in reply to: #1161020

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia
mtngirlincali - 2008-01-16 11:07 PM

Anyone made the switch recently and want to chime in?  I'm looking at bumping up from sprint distance to Olympic by April, and am contemplating HIM in August.....(or at least the Aquabike)

Wish I could give you some advice, but I can symphathize.  Before starting tris, my husband and I did not have road bikes.  We decided that getting a road bike rather than a tri bike made more sense in case we did not stick with triathlons - at least we would have bikes out of the deal.  We bought in the dead of winter when there were good sales.  We did not want to spend a fortune, but wanted something decent.  We went with aluminum bikes with carbon forks and seat posts instead of spending the money on all carbon/high end bikes.  We heard both philosophies: 1.  Don't spend too much in case you don't stick with tris/cycling and 2.  Buy a bike you can grow into so you don't need to replace it too soon.  We tried to strike the balance, but in hindsight we should have spent more for better bikes since we are already plotting our bike upgrades.  Unless we find an amazing deal, we'll probably stick out one more season on our current bikes then get new bikes for 2009 - then we will need to decide if we go for really nice road bikes or tri bikes (we do go on group rides).

Good luck bike shopping - you should be able to find some deals this time of year.

Edited by jgz_tarheel 2008-01-18 2:35 PM

2008-01-18 12:01 PM

Extreme Veteran
The whole new bike thing..... it is a personal choice but just from my experience, limited as it is, buy the most bike you can afford + a little And get a tri bike.

I bought a trek 5200 full carbon road bike and have made a few modifications to it over the last few months. It is a nice bike but i still wish i had a tri bike. I was talked in to getting a road bike by some friends that are roadies..... and i have yet to do a group ride. besides they would not ban me from riding with them if i really wanted to go.

For your price range look for a used aluminum frame bike and go from there. Ebay, slowtwitch, here and craigslist are going to be your best bet.

Also remember like most stuff the bike purchase is not going to kill you, it is all the stuff you buy to upgrade. (unless you get a dream bike, then it is the actual purchase that will cost you)
2008-01-20 9:30 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Week 4:2008

So how is everyone doing?

If your football fans, I am sure you had a great weekend watching the game(s). It can be tough to get training done with so many football parties happening. On the other hand, if your willing to watch the highlights on the evening news, the streets and gyms are pretty empty.

For the good of the group, please tell us how your training went this week. And if you are so inclined, teh question of the week:

What is your approach to Nutrition as it relates to your  training. We all train pretty hard and supporting our increased calorie needs while still meeting other goals can be a bit challenging at times. Oh, and if you have any recommendations on good books or other resources, please don't hesitate to share them

2008-01-21 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1167212

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: RE: Week 4:2008

I think this week's training was definitely an eye opener.  We're still in the acclimation week, building back up so that we can dive into our official training program soon.  So I managed to get in the pool and really see where my fitness level was (shock and horror!), and finally got back out onto the road with my bike.  I increased my running distance by 10%, but between foot cramps and knee pain, I'm realizing that getting to my race in April might be a lot tougher than I was imagining!

We had a nutritionist come speak to our group yesterday, so it's funny that you brought that up for our topic this week!  I have to say that only doing sprints, I haven't had to worry too much about nutrition.  I can get through a sprint without anything, although I usually put a bottle of Cytomax on my bike and sip on that for a little extra energy.  In my last race of the season, I ate a few Shot Blocks as I headed out to my run and then I vomited at the finish line--- so I know Shot Blocks don't like me.  At any rate, before my workouts, since they are under an hour in duration right now, I usually just eat a protein source.  Light English muffin with a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, a handful of almonds and a string cheese, or I skip the protein and down a ZBar.  (Cliff Bar for kids-- very good!)  For recovery, I'll have a chocolate soy milk.  I did learn from the nutritionist that my foot cramps are likely caused  by a magnesium deficiency, so this week I'm going to try out a magnesium citrate supplement to see how it goes.....

As we get into longer training sessions, this is something I'll need to experiment more with.  My sensitive stomach on the run is telling me that perhaps I'll have to go the route of CarboPro?  But we shall see.  Would be interested in hearing what works well for everyone else.

Thanks to those who replied about the tri bike.  Since nobody actually has them in stock here, I am headed down to San Diego today to see if I can actually get on one to see how they ride.  Part of me is back to thinking about a road bike converted with aero bars so I can get ride of my heinous Trek 1000 (it was a real peach yesterday, sounding like parts were rubbing together on every uphill climb even after a huge tune-up).  I hate being so indecisive!

2008-01-21 10:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Subject: ---
Sorry, had a duplicate post.  Any way to delete these?

Edited by mtngirlincali 2008-01-21 10:21 AM
2008-01-21 2:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
Subject: RE: Week 4:2008
WaterDog66 - 2008-01-20 9:30 PM

So how is everyone doing?

If your football fans, I am sure you had a great weekend watching the game(s). It can be tough to get training done with so many football parties happening. On the other hand, if your willing to watch the highlights on the evening news, the streets and gyms are pretty empty.

For the good of the group, please tell us how your training went this week. And if you are so inclined, teh question of the week:

What is your approach to Nutrition as it relates to your  training. We all train pretty hard and supporting our increased calorie needs while still meeting other goals can be a bit challenging at times. Oh, and if you have any recommendations on good books or other resources, please don't hesitate to share them

Last week was a pretty good week for me, in terms of fitting in workouts and feeling like I'd continued a good positive trend.  I'm not sure how it will carry into this week, however, as my head cold has really taken hold.  But it's a recovery week for me, so I should be able to take that seriously (for once) and really try to recover.

Non-race Nutrition for me is very hit and miss.  My relationship with food needs some re-framing.  I love food, I like to cook, and I like to eat well (healthily), but I'll often use my workouts as permission to eat more than I need.  I also have a bit of a sweet tooth that will often lead me into bad directions (like this morning's homemade molasses cookies before breakfast... what kind of nutrition is that?).

I do think that my body's trying to tell me (through this long-lived cold) that I need to take my vitamin intake more seriously as I increase my demands on it, so that's going to be my focus for a while.  I know that as I increase distances, the weight that I've put on during my rehab will come off pretty naturally, but I don't like the fact that I rely so heavily on exercise as a way to maintain healthy body composition, and I need to do more to get past that.  I've been in that great place where you naturally want to put in only good things, and I want to get back there again.

2008-01-22 11:23 AM
in reply to: #1161020

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
mtngirlincali - 2008-01-16 8:07 PM

I'm looking at the Felt S32, but the Trek Equinox 5 and the Cervelo Dual also qualify.....as do used bikes.  I've found a good shop that I trust here, so I would do it all through them......

Check this one out:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=99803&posts=4#M1169329

It may not be your size but it does give you an idea of what the price point is for a Dual. (This one has Dura-Ace Components I think

2008-01-22 11:35 AM

User image

Regular
Northern Virginia

Hey, Team Waterdog!  Last week's training was okay.  I knew I would have lots of work and personal commitments, so I decided early on to take it as a recovery week.  I hope to get back into it this week.  I was able to finally do my LT test so I know my training zones. 

As for nutrition, I am a bit of a health-food nut, and my other hobby (aside from triathlon) is cooking/food.  One of my health goals is to eat as fresh as I can, avoiding packaged and prepared foods to the extent I can.  I generally eat lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fish, lean meat and low-fat dairy - I like to know exactly what is in the food I am eating.  After reading the Omnivore's Dilemma last year, my husband and I are on a bit of a local foods kick as well.  That book made me think harder about what I put into my body, especially after reading that we really are what we eat.  I also have a sweet tooth and have learned that I need to quit "cold turkey" when I get overzealous about it.  After a few days of limiting sugar my cravings go away - I can then have the occasional piece of dark chocolate, cocoa chew or ginger snap.  I read the thread on BT on the amount of everyone's grocery bill with interest - we are on the high end, but have made the choice to spend money on good food.  I shop at our local farmer's market when it is in season and am thinking of joining a CSA this year.  We are hoping good, clean eating pays off in the long run because of lower health care bills.  Oh, one of the "packaged" foods I do eat are Clif's ZBars - they taste awesome and are good for a snack before an evening training session.

As for nutrition during races, I mainly used Gatorade and Shot Bloks during my Olympic races.  I will really need to figure this out better for the half ironman I have planned.  I am going to start reading up some on this topic and practicing while training so I know what works.  I have not really focused much on recovery fueling other than to be sure I eat something with carbs and protein in it after a hard workout (longer than an hour).  I have been starting to have a small glass of chocolate milk after long sessions after reading it is a good recovery drink, and it seems to work well.

I do take some vitamins/minerals as well for a safety net: flax seed oil, folic acid, spirulina and a multi-vitamin.  Right now I am also taking Emergen-C in the a.m. and p.m. since I had a twinge in my throat yesterday that made me think I may be getting a cold.

I hope everyone has a good week of training!

Edited by jgz_tarheel 2008-01-22 11:39 AM
2008-01-22 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County

OK, just had to share with the group!  I ended up getting a new bike yesterday -- a Felt F75 from 2007.....we added the aerobars, forward seat post, and replaced the stem, so now it's got a fairly decent tri geometry.  I LOVE it-- what a difference from my Trek 1000.  I decided against the tri bike because in my price range, I got a lot more bang for my buck in a road bike.  And I really don't have room for 2 bikes in my house, so going the road bike route eliminates the need for 2.  Anyways, thanks again for the advice.  Now I'm even more motivated to get out there and hit the road. 

2008-01-22 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1170355

User image

Extreme Veteran
Podunk County, MN
mtngirlincali - 2008-01-22 3:58 PM

OK, just had to share with the group!  I ended up getting a new bike yesterday -- a Felt F75 from 2007.....we added the aerobars, forward seat post, and replaced the stem, so now it's got a fairly decent tri geometry.  I LOVE it-- what a difference from my Trek 1000.  I decided against the tri bike because in my price range, I got a lot more bang for my buck in a road bike.  And I really don't have room for 2 bikes in my house, so going the road bike route eliminates the need for 2. 

Woohoo - beautiful bike!  Are you tall?  That bike looks tall to me, but it could just be the picture angle. 

I went with a road bike last year after going through a very similar logic pattern to yours, and I've  been very happy with mine.  I figure I can upgrade in a few years if it feels right.  Happy trails!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14