Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2007-12-15 1:57 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Waterdog's Group - Closed

NAME: Waterdog / Tim

STORY: Started training for my first Triathlon 4 years ago and did my first Triathlon on my 38th Birthday. Spent 2006 and focused on my run and now after 2 years of running and 7 marathons, my run does not suck so bad. (I qualified for Boston in November) I started this trek because I thought that the training sounded like fun (Swim in the Ocean, Run on the Sand, and Ride up the Coast) and it seems like the only limit I have experienced so far is my imaginination. 

FAMILY STATUS: Married, 2 Kids  

CURRENT TRAINING: I am a bit of a rule breaker when it comes to training. I follow Pfitzinger for my Marathon Training and develop most of my Tri Plans by starting with a run specific plan and adding bike and swim. (Bike and Swim are strengths for me)

I also really like the idea of a periodized racing and training calendar. Marathoning in the Winter, Shorter Distance Races in the spring leading to a longer distance "A" Race in the Summer with some downtime in the fall. (To Recover)

THIS YEAR'S RACES: 2 HIMs. (IMCal 70.3, Wildflower) 1 IM (IMLP), 4 Marathons

2008 RACES:
  1 HIM, (IMCal 70.3), 1 IM (IMCdA), 3-5 Marathons

WEIGHTLOSS: I initially dropped about 50 pounds in the first year of training and have been focused more on proper nutrition and maintaining a good race weight. IM training in particular tends make it tougher to keep the weight on.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTOR: I believe that an important part of training is having a group of Triathlete Friends. Sometimes, they are the only people in our lives that really understand what we do and go through as we train for our goals. (Of course, a Coach and Spouse that are athletes also helps a great deal)

Edited by WaterDog66 2008-03-10 11:04 AM

2007-12-29 8:24 PM
in reply to: #1103805

New user

Subject: RE: Waterdog's Group - Open
Hi! My name is Jenn! I'm in coeur d alene Idaho. I just started to train for my first ever tri.(sprint). It will be in aug. Im 37, pretty out of shape. I swam in high school, was never very good though. Married, we have 3 boys 12, 9 & 2 1/2! Two dogs and 11 chickens! I have not lost any of my weight from my 2 year old, so i'm hoping that during this process I will eventually lose about 35-40 lbs.

I picked the couch-potato to tri plan to start my training, Im doing a bit of weight training as well. Planning on getting a personal trainer to help me out at the gym! And also a nutrition plan(although i'am bad at following those) But I figure if Im paying for it, I'll be more inclined to do it! Im pretty good about logging my exercise, but not my food!

I wanted to join a mentor group to help keep me motivated as I dont really have any friends around here interested in tri's! And I really dont know what to expect! I picked your group because you said you were 38 when you did your first one and I will be 38 for my first as well!

Im looking forword to hearing from you soon!!! Jenn
2007-12-29 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1122390

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Hey Jenn

Sounds like you have already taken some great steps on your journey. (Picked a great race)

Our little group is just forming but I am sure we will all have a great season.

Welcome

2007-12-29 9:38 PM

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Hello Tim.
I'd like to join your group. I too am attempting to complete my first race on my 38th birthday this year.

Name: Dreu

Story: 3 years ago I moved back to the Metro Detroit area from Scottsdale, AZ when I decided to marry my wife Kiley. We now have 2 kids under 2 and are living our dream 24 hrs a day. And I say that because no one gets any sleep around here! Anyway, my lifestyle was very different in Arizona as I did a lot of hiking and just had more time to dedicate to work out (or at least fitting my workouts in was much easier). I put on about 25 “wonderful” lbs too. I’m not old, only 37, however I know if I want to be the active type of dad I want to be, I need to step it up NOW! Then, just two weeks ago I received a Christmas update letter form one of my best friends in High School. We haven’t been in touch for a long time, but the letter mentioned that he finished a marathon in Chicago and Indy this past year accomplishing one of his goals for ’07. Now, I have enough motivation to do the triathlon thing anyway, but just knowing he reached his fitness goals gave me a boost of inspiration and … I can’t let him get an edge on me can I?! LOL! So, any advice, direction or encouragement you could offer though this process would be greatly appreciated. My wife will thank you too!

1. What do you want from this mentoring group?
I hope to both give and receive advice, direction and encouragement to and from others in the group. I think some accountability and interaction with other individuals with similar goals will be synergistic in propelling each of us to be the best us we can!

2. What training plan (if any) are you following?
Since I’ve never trained for anything like this I’m just picking up as much information as I can and implementing it as I continue on my journey. I’ve been riding and running every day for the past 3 weeks and I’ve found my “fitness boundaries” with this combination. So far, I’m trying to manage my heart rate and improve my overall time for each workout. In fact, that’s what I’m hoping to find here… encouragement and direction as far as to what’s most effective (or what’s worked for you) and then relate it to a calendar or schedule so I can reach my goal to complete my first sprint triathlon at the Motor City Triathlon, June 15, 2008 in Detroit, MI.

3. What is your biggest goal for the next 6 months?
I’m going to complete my first sprint triathlon on June15, 2008 in Detroit and lose 25 lbs in the process.

I'm looking forward to racing with you all.

Dreu
2007-12-29 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1122390

User image

Royal Oak, MI
Hi Jenn. My name is Dreu.
It looks like 38must mean we're getting to be middle aged and its time to turn back the clock a little (physically). Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and wish you the best with your training. Its tough doing this alone and thats why I joined this group. My friends think I'm nuts, and I couldn't convince any of them to make the journey with me. Hopefully we can support each other through our group.

Take care.
Dreu
2007-12-29 11:54 PM
in reply to: #1122464

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Welcome Dreu

Great job signing up for your first race.

Sounds like your friend is doing well, especially since Chicago was a very tough race this year. (A lot of folks did not finish before they shut the race down due to weather)

Oh, and the rest of your friends will continue to think your a bit crazy but that is OK. Everyone here has a good idea of what it takes to train for and run a race.

Looks like Our group is coming together nicely

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-12-29 11:54 PM

2007-12-30 9:31 AM

Extreme Veteran
Ok I am... but there are times that I may need a good kick in the butt to get me back on track.

Name: Chris/Baggyman
Age 34
Recently divorced with two 6 year old boys
Work as a Trauma ICU nurse
Live in Phoenix Arizona
Like the run, love the bike, hate the swim

The short and Sweet. Fat and lazy 215lbs at my biggest on Superbowl last year thought that this is just going to kill me. Started running a bit and eating better but felt like I could do more so a buddy of mine that does some IM stuff said.. "hey why dont you train for a full length tri" and over a beer i said yeah sure. The rest is history.

I am a beginner, have only one sprint under my belt. http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid...

And i have a sprint, 2 oly, a 1/2 and a full on tap for this year with my big race being IMCdA.

Like I said there are times where i may need a boot but I hope to do well.

Goals:

Sprint tri under 1:15
Olympic in under 2:40
1/2 iron in under 6:30
full ------ come on just complete!
Maintain my current level of fitness... and uncover the six pack that i know is hiding.
Drop the last 10 lbs to get to 165
2007-12-30 9:39 AM
in reply to: #1122697

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Welcome Chris

Nice job in Long Beach.

Looks like we have a nice little group coming to together.

Jenn
Dreu
Chris

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-12-30 9:40 AM
2007-12-30 10:14 AM

Extreme Veteran
Thanks! The run was great but felt like I could go a bit faster. Had a buddy pacing me up to the 20 mile mark then he fell back and let me pick it up a bit. The whole way i am like... ugh lets move just a bit faster, but was glad in the end because I was running while the 500 people that i passed in the last 5 miles were walking.
2007-12-30 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1122740

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Yeah, passing a lot of folks late in the race is bit of a boost.

I ran Long Beach as a tuneup and did not do as well as I had hoped. The Auto fumes got to me by mile 16 and had to slow way down. Lucky for me the course at Santa Clarita 3 weeks later was separated from traffic through pretty much the whole race. (I did much better)

Oh, nice job with your Tri earlier in December

2007-12-30 4:39 PM

Extreme Veteran
Glad you had openings in your group. Since I started doing any type of running or biking I have wanted to better my run time. I did complete that marathon 4 min under my goal time of 4:30 but feel that the time is bop for my AG. I would like to get a 10k in under 48 this upcomming year... and also drop my full marathon time to 4:00 and hopefully to 3:45 the next year.

I dig the three sport event and think that the run is where most of the time is gained. I can keep a ok pace on the bike and not lose that much time over the distance but if I follow up a 5:30 bike with a 5:30 marathon then my race is shot to because I lost 2 hours to my average AG.

So working on my running is my focus for most of my training but trying not to let the others fall short.

Jan 2nd is D-Day for me.

Start ramping up the training then and through IMCdA and stop the holiday diet of cookies!!!

I will be posting to my logs starting that day.

Any suggestions on decreasing run times... like intervals.. distance... new set of legs.. what ever would be great!..... I plan on hitting marathon and a few 10ks at the end of the year to see if my times have Improved.

2007-12-30 7:09 PM

New user
I still consider myself a beginner triathlete even though I have been competing for several years. I am a 55 year old grandma raising one grandchild, so my time has alot of constraints. I try to do at least one tri each summer, and one indoor tri each spring, and my goal for 2008 is to up my summer tris to two or three. I like the sprint distance. I am a strong swimmer and usually finish ahead of many much younger than myself. My bike isn't bad, I'm right in the pack. BUT....then comes my run. I think it's mental. I hit a wall and end up walking and running the entire race. During training I can do it, and complete it in 30 minutes. (I don't expect to go any faster than that), but then comes the race, and it's 33 or 34 minutes! Being that you are a runner and it sounds like a good runner, maybe you could offer some suggestions. My husband says I need to run longer distances at least once a week. Is 4 miles long for my training? Because I'll be honest.....when I reach that distance I'm either bored or have to be somewhere and can't continue. But, if this is what I need to do, then I will do it. Thanks for offering to mentor. Isn't this a great site for us?
2007-12-30 7:40 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE

Hey gang... would like to join the group.   

Here's my story:

My name is Sean Gilligan.  I am 33yo, live in Delaware with my wife of 7years, we have 3 kids age 6,4 & 3.  I work as an IT Project Mgr.  In 2003, I was very out of shape and gaining girth.  I could barely run a single mile.  But I made the lifestyle change and ran a couple marathons in 2003 & 2004.  Got bored with just running, so entered triathlon in 2005.  I never swam before so I taught myself.  Now, I am entering my 4th triathlon season.  I completed severals Sprints, Olys, Half Irons and completed Ironman Lake Placid this past season.     

For '08, I have a couple Sprints, Olympics, HIM and 1 marthon on the schedule.  I would like to complete a PR in most/all. 

2007-12-30 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Wecome Barbara and Sean

Sounds like you both are off to a great start.

Time constraints are always a normal part of our training and is really good for enforcing some balance. (My DW is also a runner and so we have to juggle 2 training plans)

2007-12-30 9:02 PM
in reply to: #1123048

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

baggyman - 2007-12-30 2:39 PM

I plan on hitting marathon and a few 10ks at the end of the year to see if my times have Improved.

I have only been running for 2 years but was able to take a bit over 3 minutes per mile off of my Marathon Pace.

I would not suggest that you follow my example, but a few good marathoners suggested that the Lydiard approach might suit me. This means running a lot of miles and focusing mostly on Running Economy. (The easiest thing to train with the largest gains)

I did almost no speedwork through 2006 and only a bit in 2007 and am certainly satisfied with my results. (Especially since I was able to hit my Boston Qualifying time earlier in December)

I was a bit nervous about piling on the mileage because I seemed to be injury prone up to that point. I am now ~4,600 miles without a running injury and now really like to run   

I did ~2,600 in 2006, ~3,000 in 2007 and peaked at 100 Miles Per Week. This is not a recommendation, just what my friends recommended and what worked for me. I will get to run with both of them in Boston next April.

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-12-30 9:05 PM
2007-12-30 9:15 PM

Extreme Veteran
El Cajon, Ca
I just wanted to stop by and say Hi. I am already in a group, but I am a fellow San Diegan.
I like knowing there are people close. That way when I am out there feeling like I want to stop running, I know I am not the only one.

2007-12-30 9:24 PM
in reply to: #1123461

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Waterdog/Tim,

Good of you to lead a group.  You will be a great mentor.  Also, nice job in Tucson, I ran the 1/2, still hurting from a cramp driven meltdown in NY in November.  I am already in another group or I would be all over yours.  Whatever team you build is lucky...

Good Luck in Boston, I went to school there and cheered on the runners when they went by my Back Bay apartment.  It is quite the experience.  I never dreamed that 30 years later I would be running marathons.  I recall well your kind words when I first joined this site and you explained your amazing logs.  You set a high bar and lots of folks have lived up to it.

I look forward to reading your logs from the 1/2 IM and full.  They would make a good training manual!  I plan my first 1/2 IM on the fifth anniversary of being cancer free.  Seems a fitting way to celebrate.

Be good my friend,

Emerson in Tucson

Edited by etknowles 2007-12-30 9:30 PM
2007-12-30 10:52 PM
in reply to: #1123482

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Congrats on your 5th Anniversay of being cancer free.  People, such as you, never cease to amaze me! 
2007-12-31 9:47 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Happy New Years Everyone  

Looks like we have a nice group forming up and I suspect we will pick up a few more in the next few days.

Jenn
Dreu
Chris
Barabara
Sean

2007-12-31 9:53 AM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

If anyone is interested, there is a challenge for January forming up.

The idea is that you look at your planned training and set either a distance or volume (Hours of Training) goal for the month.

For this challenge, you choose either Run, Bike or Swim and whether you will be doing Volume or Distance. (Each is a different team)

During the month, each team is measured by the % Completion of the goal. Of course, there is plenty of banter between the teams and some great fun.

I am signed up for the "Bike Distance" Team for 700 miles in January. I have been lagging on my bike volume due partially to my recent shoulder surgery and mostly due to fall Marathon Training. (The Challenge is a great way to get re-focused)

if you are interested, just go to the "Challenge Me" Forum and look for the "January Challenge" Thread. (It is stuck to the top of the forum thread list)

2007-12-31 12:00 PM

User image

Regular
Middletown, DE
Thanks for the Challenge tip.  I just signed up for a Bike challenge (25hrs). 

2007-12-31 1:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
If you're still open, I'd love to join up.

This'll be my second triathlon season....am recovering from my first "off season." I'm a 28-year old career woman with a husband and cat, and did 3 sprints last year with a tri training group here in SoCal. My job keeps me very busy, so it'll be a challenge this year to train around my schedule. I definitely love the motivation of being in a group!

My goals this year are:
1. To become addicted to yoga. I've always been told I needed to try it, but I'm just too afraid to go to a class and look like an idiot. But I got a yoga kit for Christmas with a beginner video, so hopefully that'll jump start my yoga career.
2. Strengthen my inner quads and rotator cuffs. My knees can sideline me from the season, so I need to respect them and go back to my PT to make sure they stay in shape. And the shoulders-- ouch! Need to fix my stroke and strengthen my shoulders.....have a few exercises I need to incorporate into a regular schedule.
3. Races! Am going to start the season with the Iron Girl Oly in Las Vegas in April (my first Olympic distance), Danskin SoCal sprint in June, something at Vineman in August (can't decide between doing Barb's Race, the 1/2 Aquabike, or the Full Aquabike....my knees should help me decide soon), and the Mission Viejo Oly in September. May also try to do the Santa Barbara Super Sprint in August and Pacific Coast in September, just to compare to last year.
4. Weightloss. I technically qualify as an Athena.....did an entire training program last season and didn't lose a pound! So am hoping some weight training and learning how to train at a caloric deficit can get 10 lbs off my frame.
2007-12-31 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1124787

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Welcome MtnGirlinCali

Looks like you have a great season planned.

If your looking for a good late season race, check out Carpinteria in September. This was my first race and do it every year now to celebrate my new life.

Oh, and best of luck with Yoga. I regularly Practice Asthanga Yoga and it has surely contributed to some level of Injury Prevention. (Keeps my Hammies particularly happy)

2008-01-01 12:17 PM

Extreme Veteran
OK Jan 1st lets get this year STARTED!!!!

well all of you can i am stuck at work for 12.5 hours then drive home but Ill be hitting it in the morning.

Swim 15-1800
Run 6miles (8 if I can keep the dreadmill cops from catching me)

2008-01-01 12:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglas County
Yes-- bring it on!

So, how does this group stuff work? Do we post daily/weekly goals? I need to get back to the pool this week and probably hit a spin class, plus continue on with my crazy Abs Diet beginner strength routine. (Day one was last night-- I think I need to buy heavier weights) My program for the Oly starts next week, but this week I want to wake everything up and maybe commit to doing my PT on my knee every day.

Sorry you are stuck at work today! I'll be there tomorrow.....

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Waterdog's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 14