BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2008-01-21 12:08 AM
in reply to: #1163353

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED
Bike Shoes- Diadora Geko MTB Shoes with Time ATAK MTB pedals. Guess I haven't crossed the threshold inton "serious" road biker yet (835 miles in 2007). Besides, they are relatively comfy to walk in. Maybe some day I will cross over into the world of road shoes/pedals when I have the free cash to spend and permanently mount my MTB pedals back on the Gary Fisher. There are a lot of other things I can improve (technique, weight, weight, general fitness, weight) before I start worrying about shaving a few ounces from my road rig.

Bike Saddle - Bontrager CRZ+ Road (Stock 2004 LeMond Reno saddle). Haven't really tried anything else, but it seems to suit me fine. See "serious" biker comment above.

Running Shoes - Currently in Asics 1120, but ran all last year (1,000 miles) in 2 pairs of Brooks Adrenaline GTS6. I will likely go back to the Brooks in time for marathon training because they seem to fit my arch a little better, but the Asics aren't bad.

Regarding when to replace shoes: 500 miles is probably on the high side and would have probably replaced them a little earlier if I wasn't expecting a new pair of shoes for Christmas. I start paying a little more attention to foot/knee/shin discomfort due to shoe wear at around 300 miles.

Edited by tvwatters 2008-01-21 12:08 AM

2008-01-21 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1165948

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro

Glen1951 - 2008-01-19 8:14 PM Speaking of running shoes. How do you know when your running shoes need to be replaced? Someone told me that you will know, but it's not like your shoes are good one day and then the next they're shot. Is there some way you can have them checked?

I've never heard of any way to have shoes checked for condition.  I've seen it where some say that 300-400 miles is what a shoe can handle.  I'm not organized enough to keep track of how many miles I put on a particular pair. I just "know" when a pair has "gone flat".  You definitely don't want to run in them if you can see the black bottom wearing to the point where the underlying cushion layer is showing.  I have a zillion tons of running shoes sitting in our spare bedroom - which has turned into my training junk room.  Here's the hierarchy of how a shoe evolves in my lineup - new pair use for longer runs, next oldest for mid-range runs, next oldest for rain/mud conditions, pull one pair out of rotation to use for wearing to work if they're not too stinky,  next oldest for mowing the pasture, oldest for working in the garden.  I haven't thrown a pair out in many years  

2008-01-21 3:07 PM
in reply to: #1164578

User image

Pro
tripletmom01 - 2008-01-18 2:48 PM

Ummm saddles- STILL having a hard time with this- did a bike seat fitting and ended up with a mens Terry Falcon.   Not going to be doing 112 on that

You should get the seat dialed in as early in the season as possible so that you can get a bunch of centuries done on the one you'll use at Ironman. But you knew that already, eh?

2008-01-21 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1165834

User image

Pro

stinkyhelmet - 2008-01-19 6:31 PM In terms of recovery, I'm still fairly sore (quads, hamstrings, glutes). Calves are ok now. I felt aweful the day after, I was limping around through the parks. The 2nd day after was much better, but I'm at day 6 after the race and still feel quite sore. Could this just be due to my lack of run experience & mileage?

Probably a little of both.  If your training plan had you running only 3x/week that doesn't allow your legs to get too resilient.  But, you're going to be sore for a few days regardless.  If you can, get out for some walks or gentle runs when you feel up to it.  Nothing that  you would call "training" though....just recovery.  Again, congrats on your race!

2008-01-21 9:49 PM
in reply to: #1164578

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
tripletmom01 - 2008-01-18 2:48 PM

Ummm saddles- STILL having a hard time with this- did a bike seat fitting and ended up with a mens Terry Falcon.   Not going to be doing 112 on that

Saddles are so personal but thought I'd share my wife's experience last year. She rode on the Terry Butterfly Ti for years, then last winter she tried half a dozen saddles to see if there's something better. She finally found the Profile Tri Stryke and now uses it on both her road and TT bikes. She's been very happy with it especially on those loooong rides. If you prefer a saddle that provides more cushion at the nose, it may be worth a look.

I'm also trying to find a better saddle and hoping that the Arione Tri agrees with my butt. Hope you find a saddle that works for you soon.

Edited by stinkyhelmet 2008-01-21 9:57 PM
2008-01-22 7:05 AM
in reply to: #1104567

User image

Pro

Hope everyone had a great weekend.  If you have any photos of yourself from past races, or even just photos in general, be sure to put them in your albums on your blog so that people can see you in action

Half marathon for me coming up on Saturday.  Probably going to be a little chilly, so no land speed records will be set.  Anyone else racing this coming weekend?

2008-01-22 8:15 AM
in reply to: #1169146

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
Jim, those are some great pictures in your album. I'm glad you mentioned it b/c I didn't know this feature existed here on BT. Very cool. I'll get working on mine.

Have a great race at your upcoming half. I'm going to have another light week then plan to do an FTP test next weekend on the bike to determine baseline (i suppose it doesn't really count as a race, though)
2008-01-22 12:28 PM

User image

Pro
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - Temporarily RE-OPENING to recruit additional peeps
I'm temporarily re-opening the group to additional people if anyone is interested.
2008-01-22 1:31 PM
in reply to: #1169146

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
Now that the marathon's over, I'm reflecting back to identify aspects of my training that I would change next time. The list is growing, but I'll start with this.

I used the treadmill quite a bit during the last 4-6 weeks prior to the marathon, especially for the speed/hill sessions. Not because I wanted to, but due to convenience factors (they have them at my work's gym making a lunchtime workout easy to fit in). While I got a great workout using the TM, I wondered if it was not properly preparing me for the race. I thought "the marathon's on the road, so why am I training on a moving belt?" I've read a lot of opinions on the effectiveness of the treadmill but would appreciate your inputs.

Edited by stinkyhelmet 2008-01-22 1:33 PM
2008-01-22 8:05 PM
in reply to: #1169975

User image

Pro

stinkyhelmet - 2008-01-22 1:31 PM I used the treadmill quite a bit during the last 4-6 weeks prior to the marathon, especially for the speed/hill sessions. Not because I wanted to, but due to convenience factors (they have them at my work's gym making a lunchtime workout easy to fit in).... I've read a lot of opinions on the effectiveness of the treadmill but would appreciate your inputs.

I can't resist starting out by telling about a reply I gave on BT to someone who asked what the difference was between running outside and running on a treadmill.  My smart @ss reply was that the difference is, when running outside you are continually saying to yourself, "man its such a nice day to be running outside", whereas when running on a treadmill you are continually saying to yourself "man if I had a gun right now I would shoot myself in the head". 

I've read a lot of coaches that advocate the use of treadmills.  If you use the same machine at the same settings you can replicate the same exact workouts over time to measure your progress.  Once you set the speed and grade there is no way you can cheat on a treadmill workout, whereas outside on a track you can ease up if you can't handle the intensity the workout calls for.  If you don't keep up on the treadmill you fall on your face.  Treadmill workouts are definitely a lot easier on the legs as well.   I have only done a handful of treadmill workouts for longer runs - usually when I'm travelling and stuck in a hotel somewhere where its not convenient to run.  But, last spring I did some pretty intense interval workouts on a treadmill.  My only problem was that the speed wouldn't go any faster than 6:00 min/mile.

Several years ago the winner of the women's U.S. Olympic marathon trials was from Alaska and did almost all of her training on a treadmill.  So, treadmills definitely have their place in some people's plans.

Edited by Birkierunner 2008-01-22 8:11 PM
2008-01-22 10:56 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - Temporarily RE-OPENING to recruit additional peeps
Hi Jim,

I would like to join your group. I had joined another group but nothing happened with it. After reading all of the post, I think that I would be a good fit in this group. I am a runner who has run several ultra marathons and now have gotten the idea that I want to try and do an iron man. I have never done a triathlon before. In December I started to take swim lessons as I had never really swam before. At first I could not even swim 50 yards with out resting, but now swimming a long distance is looking possible.

My plans for this year is to first run in several ultra marathons and then to focus on doing some triathlons. I have signed up for a half iron man in August and depending on how my swimming progresses I may sign up for a full iron man later in the fall.

Take Care
Bill

2008-01-23 6:36 AM

User image

Pro

Bill, glad to have you join our group! 

Maybe you can give me some ultra tips, as I just did my first 50 miler last fall and hope to get into the WS 100 soon.  You've made a good decision by getting swim lessons early on.  What type of bike are you set up with right now?  Welcome to the group!

2008-01-23 7:27 AM

User image

Veteran
How many of you take daily multivitamins. I have been taking one since mid-summer, but wonder with my diet (eat very healthy) is it worth the $35 a month. I could use that extra cash for race suppliments. Plus, not trying to be funny/gross, but the vitamins give me extreme gas problems. I'm 35 and feel better than I have since I was 16-(lost 40 lbs since august) !!!!!
2008-01-23 12:23 PM
in reply to: #1171264

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
I take them off and on, but more so during event-specific higher-intensity training. Do they help? I'm not sure I can tell.
2008-01-23 1:23 PM

User image

Veteran
NW suburbs of Chicago
I take a 'performance' blend multivitamin and a fish oil pil daily. They're the Kirkland brand from Costco and are fairly inexpensive.

No idea if they're helping me, though.
2008-01-23 4:41 PM

User image

Regular
Cherry Hill, NJ
Name: Zvika

I’d like to join your group.

Family status: Married with 2 kids 10 & 16
Over 11 years in US currently in Cherry Hill, NJ and originally from Israel

Story:

I will be 45 in Apr, was always very active in all sorts of sports including ball games, short runs, scuba diving, free style fishing, Taekwondo, Shotokan etc
Started Tria's and Road races in 2005 since than completed 3 x OLY's, 3 x Sprints and 5K, 5M, 10M & Half Marathon

2008 Goals:

1st HIM Black Bear Jun 1, 08
Sub 6h HIM
Sub 2:40h OLY
Sub 1:40h Half Marathon
1st Marathon

Consider myself Beginner Triathlete; bike is my strongest discipline swim is the weakest
Looking forward to learn and improve

Cheers, Z.

2008-01-23 6:30 PM

User image

Pro

opiejoe - 2008-01-23 7:27 AM How many of you take daily multivitamins. I have been taking one since mid-summer, but wonder with my diet (eat very healthy) is it worth the $35 a month. I could use that extra cash for race suppliments. Plus, not trying to be funny/gross, but the vitamins give me extreme gas problems. I'm 35 and feel better than I have since I was 16-(lost 40 lbs since august) !!!!!

I hear so many conflicting schools of thought on multivitamins I don't know what to think about them.  My chiropractor (also an athlete) urges me to take an Omega-3 supplement, but I'm not good at taking them regularly.  I just try to make sure I eat fairly well and get plenty of fruit in my diet.

Ricky, great job on the weight loss!!! 

2008-01-23 6:36 PM
in reply to: #1172616

User image

Pro

Zvika, welcome to the group!!  Israel makes 5 countries represented in the group (one way or another) - COOL!!  It sounds like you've got a pretty well-rounded sports background.  Join the club on having the swim as your weakest event - we can all relate.

Aiming for a half ironman early in the season is fairly aggressive.  Have you already signed up for it? It might be worth considering doing some Olympic distance events early on and then do the HIM later in the season.  But, the timing of your marathon attempt will also influence your schedule.  If you get a chance, add some photos in your album so we can see you in action   WELCOME!

2008-01-23 8:17 PM

Veteran
Vienna, Austria (temporarily)
I occasionally take a multi vitamin but often forget. My thought is that if you eat a healthy diet then you should be fine.

Jim, I certainly can give you some advice about 100 mile runs. I think that the hardest thing about Western States is getting into the race. This year the odds of getting in was less than 20%. They have a rule that if you don't get in twice in a row that you automatically get in the 3rd year. The number of people getting in automatically keeps increasing each year, so the chances of getting selected in the lottery just keep getting smaller. Completing a 100 mile race is 50% endurance and 50% mental strength to keep going.

I have a Raleigh Competition road bike. I got it a couple of years ago and have been riding occasionally. Once the weather gets a little bit better I plan to ride regularly. I guess that I should probably invest in some aerobars. Any suggestions?

From reading the posts, it seems like there are a lot of people with weak swimming skills. I can attest that I am one of those, but I would encourage you to take a swim lesson. I just started swimming in December and took 3 half hour sessions. By the end of that I really felt like I could swim much better. I have been swimming regularly since then and have swam 1 mile straight. Even though I felt like I have pretty good swim form, I decided to take another set of lessons to improve my form and learn how to make turns in the pool. Yesterday was my first session and I quickly learned that I did not have my stroke correct. My swim instructor pointed out that I had my arm too much under me while swimming. What a difference it made to adjust that aspect. My pull felt much more powerful. Anyhow, the reason why I am telling everyone is that I think that it is a good idea to take a lesson even if you think you are swimming well.
2008-01-23 10:53 PM

User image

New user

Multivitamins, I've been taking them for years. I take the Nutrilite brand Multivitamin Double X. They are fairly expensive, but they are definately worth it. I know people say that you should be able to get the vitamins you need from the food you eat, but from what I've read most of the nutrients are gone by the time you buy them in the store or after cooking them.
2008-01-24 12:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Walworth, WI
Jim,

I tried to upload some photos but they are apparently all too large. I'm not a techie so I may be out of luck.

2008-01-24 6:04 AM

User image

Veteran
swim lessons are by far the best money I've spent since entering the sport !!!! I'm in week three with my coach, and I would say I'm swimming 30% faster and using 30% less energy-by stroke correction. Drills,drills,drills.......................
2008-01-24 7:25 AM
in reply to: #1173261

User image

Pro

tvwatters - 2008-01-24 12:28 AM Jim, I tried to upload some photos but they are apparently all too large. I'm not a techie so I may be out of luck.

There are free websites like this one where you can shrink digital photos or graphics files so that they will load into your album.  They have to be less than 200KB to fit into your BT albums.  Give it a try and see what happens.

2008-01-24 7:32 AM
in reply to: #1173323

User image

Pro

opiejoe - 2008-01-24 6:04 AM swim lessons are by far the best money I've spent since entering the sport !!!! I'm in week three with my coach, and I would say I'm swimming 30% faster and using 30% less energy-by stroke correction. Drills,drills,drills.......................

Ricky, that's great news!  The swim leg will definitely punish those that don't have good technique.  My swim coach (48 minute IM swim split!) was never a runner and when he decided to start doing triathlons he said he had to learn proper running technique because his leg muscles weren't accustomed to the specific mechanics of running.  Since I was a runner for 30 years I simply couldn't comprehend how a good athlete wouldn't simply know how to run.  But, he had to work very hard at it.  The same goes for swimming.  He says my leg muscles are having a hard time relaxing in order to kick properly because it is counter to normal running mechanics and my ankles are extremely inflexible due to running.

Keep up the good work Rick!

2008-01-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1173006

User image

Pro

billgeist - 2008-01-23 8:17 PM Jim, I certainly can give you some advice about 100 mile runs. I think that the hardest thing about Western States is getting into the race. This year the odds of getting in was less than 20%. They have a rule that if you don't get in twice in a row that you automatically get in the 3rd year. The number of people getting in automatically keeps increasing each year, so the chances of getting selected in the lottery just keep getting smaller. Completing a 100 mile race is 50% endurance and 50% mental strength to keep going. 

Yeah, I've read just about everything on the WS100 website and was aware of the lottery stuff.  I did a 50 miler last fall and made sure it was within the qualifying period for the 2009 lottery (assuming they'll use the same time frame they used for the 2008 lottery).  If things work out, I'm planning to be a pacer for someone in the 2008 race so that I can at least get to see the last 36 miles of the race course. 

What shoes do you use for ultra trail races?  I've been looking at the Montrail Hardrocks and the Montrail Continental Divides.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - ROUND 2 - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 16