BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 51

2012-11-08 10:49 PM
in reply to: #4128570

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Praying for you Tom. That's a lot of life coming at you all at once.

2012-11-08 11:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Missoula
Subject: RE: Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!!
Double post.

Edited by Lesandtj 2012-11-08 11:09 PM
2012-11-09 7:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Tom,

I hope everything went well. Please let us know how you're doing when you feel better and get a chance. We're all thinking about you!!

2012-11-10 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4491067

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Lesandtj - 2012-11-08 10:49 PM Praying for you Tom. That's a lot of life coming at you all at once.

Yes it is!    Tom you have a such a positive spirit.   Am inspired by the way you handle things. 

2012-11-10 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

I'm sad and depressed to say that I need to refocus my energy/time/thoughts.   Not going to have the time, or financial resources to devote to serious training/racing.   Have to change mindset. 

With this being said, I will not be able to go to the Tour convention in Memphis.   Massively bummed about this.  So wanted to meet y'all    but looks like that is not going to happen.    I am cancelling trip/race plans for Memphis, Door County as well as there is zero chance of  doing Ironman.      Bummed to say  more than likely  the one 140.6 I did will be the only one I ever do.

kinda dramatic but that thought reminds me of that scene in "Field of Dreams"  where Moonlight Graham talks about the 1/2 inning of Major league baseball he played.   "You know we just don't recognize the most significant moments of our lives while they're happening. Back then I thought, well, there'll be other days. I didn't realize that that was the only day."

Check out the scene Moonlight Graham

In addition, won't be able to mentor another installment of the tour.   It's been really enjoyable, but it does require a good amount of time.     This group thread will move into the archived groups  soon.   We can still post in there. and I hope we all stick around and DO post when this happens.  We have such a great collection of people here.   I can still be part of the group, but would be posting much less  (Ya I know  kind of like I have been-sorry been rough lately)

I still intend on running Chicago Marathon  and some local stuff   but mainly it will be just that.   Run only.  "maybe" a couple of smaller local Tri's     I will not be advancing my swimming.    But will still bike  (though less and mainly to support running

In other news, I stopped at the tollway gas station and saw more Cucumber Gatorade.  I was like"hmm I'm thinking its becoming a standard flavor" seeing it much more lately.   So maybe its no longer so limited edition-esque       But I do still have that stash of a dozen or so of them around "just in case"

that's all for now...

Dave

Edited by oriolepwr 2012-11-10 7:24 PM
2012-11-11 10:51 AM

User image

Veteran

Hi All,

I'm back to the living

Fully charged and ready to go.

Faster than a speeding turtle,

More powerful than a tricycle,

Able to leep over curbs in a single bound!

Thanks for all the well wishes.

All went well, new unit (defibrillator) and everything is good.

I can start training - running and cycling in a week, swimming in 1 month.

DAVE, SAY IT ISN'T SO.  Hope you can work things out, and if not maybe we will get together another day.

Tom

2012-11-11 11:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida

First of all, Yay to Tom!!!!  Glad all went well and you have your superman abilities back.  Thank you for posting because I've been thinking about you and wondering how all well.  Recovery well.

Dave, I second Tom's "Say it ain't so".  But you have to do what is right for you and your family.  I just got into this group but already love everyone and will really miss it.  I'll keep checking in the forum - where ever it may live.  I wish the best to all of you and thank you for teaching me so much.

2012-11-11 7:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Tom - So happy to hear things went well!

Dave - I just logged on, and am just now reading your message!! I'm so sorry that you are going through this right now. Please don't look at this as the end. I know it feels that way, and it's so hard to think that you will ever be able to get back (physically, emotionally, financially, spiritually - whatever the case may be) to the way you were, but you never know. Life has a way of surprising you. You have done an amazing job as a triathlete, marathoner, mentor, and friend, and I know I am speaking for everyone when I say I am so sad that we will not be able to continue as an "active" group. Life never goes the way you expect it to, but somehow (even though MANY people don't agree with me) things happen for a reason. You are a great person, and more important than your athletic accomplishments, you are a great father, husband, and friend, and I know that you are making the right decision. We will all be around, and I hope you will visit from time to time, because you have been such an important part of "us".

2012-11-12 2:01 PM
in reply to: #4494126

User image

The same here...Glad to hear everything went well Tom.  Dave, sorry to hear about your situation.  Just wanted to let you know that you were a great mentor (Quincy too!) and it made my start in this sport so much smoother than it would have been without you.
2012-11-13 8:01 PM
in reply to: #4489801

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-11-08 11:08 AM

OK, Since Shelly is the only one that asked about my Purple Tom drink recipe, So she is the only one that can read this, LOL

This was a recipe I found in my bartenders guide but required grapefruit juice, which I didn't have, so I had to substitute.

Large glass full of ice

Equal parts of 

Southern Comfort, Amaretto, and Vodka, Then equal parts of ginger ale and GRAPE JUICE (Welch's 100% - have to healthy about this)

Hence, PURPLE TOM!  I will bring supplies to Memphis.

Enjoy

Tomorrow is the battery replacement, so I will try to log on this weekend depending on when I get home.

Of course with these power outages we've been having on the northeast, there may not be any batteries left.

Tom

Tom,
Sorry I am just seeing this. Hope all went well with the battery replacement. I can't wait to try a Purple Tom in Memphis. I am crossing my fingers I can get off work. It's still debatable but I'm fairly certain I will.

Shelly
2012-11-13 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
Tom- So glad to hear all went well and that you'll be back to training shortly.

Dave- I am so sad just reading your post. However, I totally understand. You have given all of us more than you'll probably ever realize. You have been there for each and every one of us in one way or another and now it's time to take care of you and your family. I am sure we all understand. I am totally bummed about Memphis as I so wanted to get to thank you in person for all that you've done. Sheesh what a way to get out of sharing your cucumber gatorade stash.

I too will hang around wherever we end up going. I am kind a attached to you guys ;-). I think we all understand about time constraints and we each have times where we can check in more and then times where we check in less- but hopefully the regulars will hand around and keep each other in check. And I will still cross my fingers that circumstances will drastically change/improve so that you can at come visit at Memphis in May ( really not trying to pressure you or anything).

Shelly

2012-11-15 5:29 PM

User image

Veteran

Helllloooo???? I've been MIA but I finally found my computer again, now if I could just figure out where I put my motivation!!

I've missed so much! Great race reports, congrats Pam on your first tri!

Tom, glad to hear the batteries are up and running, new and improved Tom is going to rock!

Dave, so sad that you will be stepping back, however knowing you you'll still be lurking I don't know if you fully realize it but you've helped so many people in your role as mentor on these boards.  I for one really appreciate you and Q and having found this amazing resource even if I'm not very active in posting, I read !

So, I've started back in running, going to try again, starting a 20 week 1/2 marathon jeff galloway program in prepping for the NC Half Marathon at Charlotte Motor Speedway.  My DH is a huge nascar fan and must have that huge medal, moving cars on a track with Lights!  So we are training together.  Fingers crossed that I make it and avoid injury, only the second week and my leg is not feeling great but hoping it's just initial soreness from getting back into it.

Did 2 family 5k's recently, Buccaneer 5k in Kitty Hawk and Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon.  Kids are doing great with the running, DH is faster than me already, but I'm still trying!!

Now, I will go back and catch up on all the posts I missed. Later peeps!

2012-11-18 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran

First Day of training since August, Wooo HOOO

1 hour of training:  41 minutes on the treadmill that I got from my EW, which quickly displayed its 25 yr old motor as not really up to the task.  Looks like I will be looking for a new tread.  Any suggestions??

20 minutes on the bike indoors.

I feel great and looking forward to my first HM in April

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQKKj_qeOBQ

2012-11-18 9:49 PM
in reply to: #4502851

User image

Master
St. Louis
TLakatos1259 - 2012-11-18 9:11 PM

1 hour of training:  41 minutes on the treadmill that I got from my EW, which quickly displayed its 25 yr old motor as not really up to the task.  Looks like I will be looking for a new tread.  Any suggestions??

Woohoo! Glad to see you are back at it.
2012-11-19 5:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Tom, so glad that you are doing well!!!  I was thinking about you this very weekend and wondering how you were recovering.  Tried to look at your log to see if you had put any notes but your settings guard against the likes of me.  So glad that you are able to get back to training.  How is everything else going?  Hope all is going well in the job search area and the recovery.
2012-11-19 5:47 PM
in reply to: #4504107

User image

Veteran

Pink Socks - 2012-11-19 6:34 PM Tom, so glad that you are doing well!!!  I was thinking about you this very weekend and wondering how you were recovering.  Tried to look at your log to see if you had put any notes but your settings guard against the likes of me.  So glad that you are able to get back to training.  How is everything else going?  Hope all is going well in the job search area and the recovery.

Hi Pam,

Sorry, I didn't realize you were not on my friends list.  You are now, stalk away LOL

Thanks for looking after me.

Tom

2012-11-20 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL

Brick?   Why not swim and run at the SAME time!!

2012-11-20 6:38 AM
in reply to: #4502851

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
TLakatos1259 - 2012-11-18 9:11 PM

That's great Tom!!    Happy to see you back in action!

The only advice I would give re: tready  is to get a really good one.  A really good used tready,  is better than a new but not good unit.   

2012-11-20 6:46 AM
in reply to: #4499886

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Ybeal - 2012-11-15 5:29 PM

Helllloooo???? I've been MIA but I finally found my computer again, now if I could just figure out where I put my motivation!!

I've missed so much! Great race reports, congrats Pam on your first tri!

Tom, glad to hear the batteries are up and running, new and improved Tom is going to rock!

Dave, so sad that you will be stepping back, however knowing you you'll still be lurking I don't know if you fully realize it but you've helped so many people in your role as mentor on these boards.  I for one really appreciate you and Q and having found this amazing resource even if I'm not very active in posting, I read !

So, I've started back in running, going to try again, starting a 20 week 1/2 marathon jeff galloway program in prepping for the NC Half Marathon at Charlotte Motor Speedway.  My DH is a huge nascar fan and must have that huge medal, moving cars on a track with Lights!  So we are training together.  Fingers crossed that I make it and avoid injury, only the second week and my leg is not feeling great but hoping it's just initial soreness from getting back into it.

Did 2 family 5k's recently, Buccaneer 5k in Kitty Hawk and Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon.  Kids are doing great with the running, DH is faster than me already, but I'm still trying!!

Now, I will go back and catch up on all the posts I missed. Later peeps!

Thank you all so much for the very kind words.    I really appreciated reading them.     and Oh yes lurking I will still do...   Just not posting so much.  or training as much.     I have not trained at all for over 2 + weeks.   It's sad.   probably the longest stretch of zero training since like 5 years ago.      Planning on spinning tonight.   We will see.    Best laid plans and all.     Then hopefully a short run tomorrow.   Need to feel and get into a groove.   

2012-11-20 10:51 AM
in reply to: #4504523

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

Ha!! Two plus weeks, Dave!! Try 3+ and going on 4...and I am strangely OK with this. Sorry I've been MIA for a while, everyone. I spent 3 weeks with the flu, which, of course, was worsened by doing Austin, and now I am just taking some times to catch up with family and friends before I start training again.

Tom - great news for you. It's good to see someone who actually has some drive to train (nothing against all the rest of you, but...you know what I mean.)

I will try to get the monthly stats done this week, but no promises!!

I hope y'all have a great Thanksgiving!!

2012-11-20 6:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I miss everyone.  Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving!

2012-11-21 9:08 PM

User image

Expert
Hammond
I too have been in a training funk. Still trying to figure out my pool problems and dealing with the stupid PF so just not very motivated. Lots of stress going on with middle child also and it's just so draining. He's a great kid but long story short he's made some poor choices. It's so tough giving/enforcing appropriate consequences without being too harsh/ unforgiving or too easy. Quite a few sleepless nights around here which definitely don't help with training/ motivation.

However, I do always feel so much better after working out so I'm trying to get myself going.

Glad to see folks are still hanging around and posting. We went on a mini vacation and I was worried I'd come to back and everyone would be gone.

Hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Shelly
2012-11-23 5:27 PM

User image

Veteran

Ok, so the treddy I got from the EW is showing its age, ssoooo..... 

Instead of buying one, and since I needed to sign up for a pool location, I joined a fitness center today. Now I can swim, bike, and run all in one place.  The idea of a monthly payment was still way cheaper than buying a new treadmill at the present time.  Besides, I'll have a new job soon anyway.  And the extra time will allow me to find my stride in balancing training and looking for work and maybe starting my nonprofit I've been thinking about.

I have to say, kind of feel bad for you guys with young-lings, mine is 24 (ouch).  I appreciate the coo doo's you all give me, but really, Ya 'all  deserve way more hoo rah's, balancing work and family and training.

I am really looking forward to Memphis, sign up opens next Saturday.  So, who is still going?  Add your name and repost

Tom

2012-11-28 11:25 PM
in reply to: #4508185

User image

Expert
Hammond
TLakatos1259 - 2012-11-23 5:27 PM

Ok, so the treddy I got from the EW is showing its age, ssoooo..... 

Instead of buying one, and since I needed to sign up for a pool location, I joined a fitness center today. Now I can swim, bike, and run all in one place.  The idea of a monthly payment was still way cheaper than buying a new treadmill at the present time.  Besides, I'll have a new job soon anyway.  And the extra time will allow me to find my stride in balancing training and looking for work and maybe starting my nonprofit I've been thinking about.

I have to say, kind of feel bad for you guys with young-lings, mine is 24 (ouch).  I appreciate the coo doo's you all give me, but really, Ya 'all  deserve way more hoo rah's, balancing work and family and training.

I am really looking forward to Memphis, sign up opens next Saturday.  So, who is still going?  Add your name and repost

Tom

Tom,
I am definitely planning on going. I just have to wait and see if I can definitely have off work. We are getting computer charting and I am a trainer so they won't approve any requests for time off between January and May. So I'm crossing my fingers. I so hope that a bunch of us attend. I really would love to meet as many of you guys as possible. I am still majorly bummed about Dave not being able to attend although I certainly understand.

Anyway, I am planning on attending. Hope lots of others do as well.

Shelly
2012-11-29 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran

So I gave myself a birthday present an upgraded to a gold membership by taking advantage of the sale.

Dr. gave the all clear to go back to full training, PT ends 12/5, so it's off to the races (pun intended)

Ancient Vulcan athlete saying:  Run long and Perspire!

Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Oriolepwr and QuincyF's Magical Mys-tri Tour "The Sequel" -On Tour!! Rss Feed  

of 51