BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-05-09 11:38 AM
in reply to: #3487804

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED

Meulen - 2011-05-08 12:30 PM Great job Henry! I bet it feels great, don't it? Could you have done that a few years ago?

It feels great and NO WAY could I have done that even 2 years ago. 2 years ago I had horrible back pain and was 35+ lbs heavier than I am now. Since then I've become a runner, returned to swimming, improved my biking skills and become a triathlete! So cool.

As for things I learned this past weekend: don't stay at the skyline motel, time myself on the swim closer to the race, depending on when your wave/heat is called you might have a *long* wait between race start and *your* race start so bring snakcs, be more confident!, try running w/o socks (I didn't have trouble putting on my socks & I'd practiced it, but T1 took me 2+ minutes and so many people have sub-1 minute T1's that I want to improve!), pay more attention to where the water station is going to be on the run! I thought it would be obvious, but I didn't even *see* it! LOL

2011-05-09 10:05 PM
in reply to: #3489343

User image

Veteran
QueerDrummer - 2011-05-09 12:38 PM

Meulen - 2011-05-08 12:30 PM Great job Henry! I bet it feels great, don't it? Could you have done that a few years ago?

It feels great and NO WAY could I have done that even 2 years ago. 2 years ago I had horrible back pain and was 35+ lbs heavier than I am now. Since then I've become a runner, returned to swimming, improved my biking skills and become a triathlete! So cool.

As for things I learned this past weekend: don't stay at the skyline motel, time myself on the swim closer to the race, depending on when your wave/heat is called you might have a *long* wait between race start and *your* race start so bring snakcs, be more confident!, try running w/o socks (I didn't have trouble putting on my socks & I'd practiced it, but T1 took me 2+ minutes and so many people have sub-1 minute T1's that I want to improve!), pay more attention to where the water station is going to be on the run! I thought it would be obvious, but I didn't even *see* it! LOL

Skyline hotel?  What city?  The Skyline in Vegas is a complete dump!  As for the water stations, I would think that they didn't have them.  I can't imagine missing a water station.  They would have to be right there.  That's my opinion.  Congrats again!  Every race is an amazing accomplishment!

2011-05-09 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3256125

Regular
Goleta / Santa Barbara
Tough Mudder in three weeks.    Just got a helmet camera.  Going to record the whole event if I can.   My buddy will edit it down and we will put it on youtube for you all to see.  I have been training mainly with weights and runs lately.  Going to ramp it up for a week or two and then taper the last week just like the Tri.  Not nervous at all.  Think it is going to be so fun.  Can't wait to get dirty.
2011-05-10 7:54 AM
in reply to: #3490730

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
I rode on my bike yesterday sans child on the back for the first time in 11 months and I felt like I was flying. Though I still need to get out there a few times every week (hopefully we won't have a raining summer like our spring has been), I feel much more confident about the bike part of the race....especially the hills! Yay!
2011-05-10 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3491042

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-05-10 7:54 AM

I rode on my bike yesterday sans child on the back for the first time in 11 months and I felt like I was flying. Though I still need to get out there a few times every week (hopefully we won't have a raining summer like our spring has been), I feel much more confident about the bike part of the race....especially the hills! Yay!

Having the kid on the back only makes you stronger!! You think the seat would hook up to my TT rig? I'd love to borrow a kid for some training!!!
2011-05-10 8:54 AM
in reply to: #3491066

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

Meulen - 2011-05-10 9:01 AM
libramom - 2011-05-10 7:54 AM I rode on my bike yesterday sans child on the back for the first time in 11 months and I felt like I was flying. Though I still need to get out there a few times every week (hopefully we won't have a raining summer like our spring has been), I feel much more confident about the bike part of the race....especially the hills! Yay!
Having the kid on the back only makes you stronger!! You think the seat would hook up to my TT rig? I'd love to borrow a kid for some training!!!

haha!! if you lived in the same city, i'd let you borrow both of them anytime!!

2011-05-10 1:11 PM
in reply to: #3490698

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis

Skyline hotel?  What city?  The Skyline in Vegas is a complete dump!  As for the water stations, I would think that they didn't have them.  I can't imagine missing a water station.  They would have to be right there.  That's my opinion.  Congrats again!  Every race is an amazing accomplishment!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Skyline Motel in Alexandria, MN. I was disappointed because it's actually *really* cute & clean for a motel. Hardwood floors, mini fridge & microwave in each room. Really convenient and it's only a mile or 2 from the race start. But when we got there they were roofing right over our room. They didn't give us any warning (they'd been roofing all week & I'd called the day before to confirm my room), the roofers hammered until about 8pm, they couldn't switch us to another room, and then just before bed I stepped in a puddle of what we can only assume was dog urine (!) at the foot of the bed that we had somehow managed to miss up to that point. So...yeah, unfortunately we will be on the lookout for different lodging next year.

And LOL the water station (I thought there was more than one, but apparently only one) was immediately at the exit of the Run Out. I was so concentrated on running that I didn't even see it - I'm used to running races where volunteers are holding out cups to the runners, but that didn't seem to be happening. Honestly I was so in my head at that point I might have just completely blocked it out. I started looking for water right after that, and probably would have run even better if I'd had it. Oh well! Next time! :D

Edited by QueerDrummer 2011-05-10 1:13 PM
2011-05-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #3488847

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
Registered for another Tri!

I'll be attempting my first open-water race at the Chaska River Days Triathlon on July 16th. I figure the water should be warm enough by then to be okay w/o a wetsuit, but if I decide I want to deal with one I'll look into renting.

This race is slightly longer than the Chain of Lakes w/ a 1/3 mile out-and-back swim, a 16-mile cycle and a 5K run.

This is kinda on a whim for me, cos my training is changing to P90X starting this weekend, but I've modified my schedule to include a long & short swim, and a run day each week. Cycling is just gonna be for transportation for the most part, but I'll work in a couple long runs in the weeks leading up to the race. Last year when I did P90X though I noticed that my general fitness improved so much that I excelled at things like running, even when I only ran once a week. I'm hoping that will apply to my Tri as well and then I'll dedicate next year's training mostly to a triathlon schedule.

2011-05-10 7:42 PM

User image

Veteran

It's been awhile since there was a QOTD, so I thought that I'd throw one out there.  What's your dream race?

Of course, I would love to complete an IM.  However, I'd love to race in the Escape from Alcatraz race.  It would just be very cool starting from that island and swimming that famous swim. 

2011-05-10 8:23 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Everyone dreams of Kona in this sport. While I'd love to qualify and race at Kona, my ultimate dream race is IM Las Vegas. I just love Vegas!!
2011-05-10 9:01 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
It was 80 degrees here tonight! Beautiful night for a bike ride. I finally got away from the group ride and put some tempo miles in on my own.

2011-05-10 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3492556

User image

Veteran

Meulen - 2011-05-10 9:23 PM Everyone dreams of Kona in this sport. While I'd love to qualify and race at Kona, my ultimate dream race is IM Las Vegas. I just love Vegas!!

That is the second race that I dream about (Vegas).  Erin and I lived in Vegas for several years and I'd love to go back to see some friends and race.  There were some great things about that town, but it also has it's bad side.  I use to teach in the inner city, so I saw it ALL.  I still think that I will head back there to do the HIM.  Excellent choice!!!!!

P.S. Kona is of course my ultimate dream, but I know that is not quite in my cards at the moment....

Edited by mcommend 2011-05-10 9:27 PM
2011-05-11 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3492621

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-05-10 9:09 PM

Meulen - 2011-05-10 9:23 PM Everyone dreams of Kona in this sport. While I'd love to qualify and race at Kona, my ultimate dream race is IM Las Vegas. I just love Vegas!!

That is the second race that I dream about (Vegas).  Erin and I lived in Vegas for several years and I'd love to go back to see some friends and race.  There were some great things about that town, but it also has it's bad side.  I use to teach in the inner city, so I saw it ALL.  I still think that I will head back there to do the HIM.  Excellent choice!!!!!

P.S. Kona is of course my ultimate dream, but I know that is not quite in my cards at the moment....

You guys mentioned you lived there before, and I'm jealous! I would move there in a second if I could. Anne's aunt lives there. I know there is aREALLY shady side to Vegas. But you find that anywhere. I love the weather out there, my allergies are controllable, the landscape is incredible, and there is a crap ton of stuff to do. I've even considered buying a place out there now to retire to later. Houses are CHEAP CHEAP CHEAP out there right now!!

I don't know if Kona is in my cards either. I'd like to do complete an IM before I begin to even think about what it would take to train for a qualifying spot. I'm not sure I have the time to commit to even complete an IM right now. Training for the marathon really put that into perspective for me.
2011-05-11 8:12 AM
in reply to: #3492957

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
a tri in vegas too, but not in the summer!!! i would die if i had to race in 120 degrees. but it was as flat as a pancake there in the valley. what a nice, lovely race it would be to race on flat land. oh, how i miss it there so much.

Edited by libramom 2011-05-11 8:13 AM
2011-05-11 8:51 AM
in reply to: #3493077

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
libramom - 2011-05-11 8:12 AM

a tri in vegas too, but not in the summer!!! i would die if i had to race in 120 degrees. but it was as flat as a pancake there in the valley. what a nice, lovely race it would be to race on flat land. oh, how i miss it there so much.

The Vegas IM is partially in the mountains. I believe it has one of the the highest elevation gains in the sport!
2011-05-11 9:01 AM
in reply to: #3493189

User image

Veteran

Meulen - 2011-05-11 9:51 AM
libramom - 2011-05-11 8:12 AM a tri in vegas too, but not in the summer!!! i would die if i had to race in 120 degrees. but it was as flat as a pancake there in the valley. what a nice, lovely race it would be to race on flat land. oh, how i miss it there so much.
The Vegas IM is partially in the mountains. I believe it has one of the the highest elevation gains in the sport!

I believe that it takes place by Boulder City. I could be wrong, but I remember looking at a map once.  It's sort of ironic that they hold a race in a very flat city/desert and race in the mountains. 

2011-05-11 10:31 AM
in reply to: #3493215

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
mcommend - 2011-05-11 9:01 AM

libramom - 2011-05-11 8:12 AM a tri in vegas too, but not in the summer!!! i would die if i had to race in 120 degrees. but it was as flat as a pancake there in the valley. what a nice, lovely race it would be to race on flat land. oh, how i miss it there so much.

I believe that it takes place by Boulder City. I could be wrong, but I remember looking at a map once.  It's sort of ironic that they hold a race in a very flat city/desert and race in the mountains. 

they televised it last year on Universal Sports. It looked brutal on tv!!! Things don't usually look that bad on tv! LOL
2011-05-11 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3493215

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA
mcommend - 2011-05-11 10:01 AM

bizarre. if it's a vegas race, it should be in vegas! lol

2011-05-11 11:01 AM
in reply to: #3493490

User image

Veteran
Minneapolis
QOTD: Hmmm...I don't feel emersed enough to even know what my criteria for a "dream race" would be, and I'm not familiar enough with what's out there to have a specific race in mind. I think, though, that it would be an international race. My dad was born & raised in the UK but has never been back in my lifetime. Going there is one of my biggest dreams, so I think doing a Mid-Distance Tri in the UK would be pretty freaking incredible. Just checked out the British Triathlon Federation website and there are tons of races to choose from. SOME DAY!!!
2011-05-11 12:43 PM
in reply to: #3493556

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

QueerDrummer - 2011-05-11 12:01 PM QOTD: Hmmm...I don't feel emersed enough to even know what my criteria for a "dream race" would be, and I'm not familiar enough with what's out there to have a specific race in mind. I think, though, that it would be an international race. My dad was born & raised in the UK but has never been back in my lifetime. Going there is one of my biggest dreams, so I think doing a Mid-Distance Tri in the UK would be pretty freaking incredible. Just checked out the British Triathlon Federation website and there are tons of races to choose from. SOME DAY!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! Enjoy your day!!

2011-05-11 3:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
For me any race that I enter and finish feeling good is a dream race!!!  Laughing   My half marathon is coming up on Sunday.  I just want for it to be here!  I want to do it, now!  I feel so ready.  I have put in the training, and I am at my lowest weight since about sixth grade.  Ok, not really, but I honestly do not remember when I have felt this fit!  Never thought I could say that!  Of course, now they are calling for rain on Sunday, but I am still hopeful that it will be a nice day. 

2011-05-11 3:10 PM
in reply to: #3494125

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
gadgetlaw - 2011-05-11 3:05 PM

For me any race that I enter and finish feeling good is a dream race!!!  Laughing   My half marathon is coming up on Sunday.  I just want for it to be here!  I want to do it, now!  I feel so ready.  I have put in the training, and I am at my lowest weight since about sixth grade.  Ok, not really, but I honestly do not remember when I have felt this fit!  Never thought I could say that!  Of course, now they are calling for rain on Sunday, but I am still hopeful that it will be a nice day. 

Sounds like you've got some tapering blues!!! Good luck Sunday!!
2011-05-11 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3494125

Veteran
Pittsburgh, PA

gadgetlaw - 2011-05-11 4:05 PM For me any race that I enter and finish feeling good is a dream race!!!  Laughing   My half marathon is coming up on Sunday.  I just want for it to be here!  I want to do it, now!  I feel so ready.  I have put in the training, and I am at my lowest weight since about sixth grade.  Ok, not really, but I honestly do not remember when I have felt this fit!  Never thought I could say that!  Of course, now they are calling for rain on Sunday, but I am still hopeful that it will be a nice day. 

Good luck and have fun! I might bike down to see the excitement of the race on Sunday. I'll be thinking of you!!!

2011-05-11 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Good luck in the half!   I really want to go down there too to see the race. I think that I have finally come to terms with the fact that I am not in it, and I want to be a part of the excitement, especially since I have several friends running it.  Also, don't worry about the weather because they have been so off around here lately.  Just enjoy yourself!!!
2011-05-12 9:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA

Yes, I think this tapering thing is driving me crazy.  I didn't think it would be bad, since it is just for a half.  But, I am going stir-crazy!  I feel tired and lazy!  Last night I sat on the couch like a slug and all I wanted to do was eat!

Thanks for the well-wishes!  Yes, everyone please come out and watch!  The more people cheering us on the better!  Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Meulen's 'Let's tri this Thing!' beginner mentor group-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 56