BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2012-02-13 9:20 AM
in reply to: #4044143

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED
IceManScott - 2012-02-13 8:33 AM

Meulen - 2012-02-12 9:45 PM I have to admit a little dissapointment this weekend. I got on te scale and was up 3lbs. I know that's not a lot and can be a lot of different things. But I have been on a 1500 cal/day diet for months now. That should equal 2lbs per week weight loss. Not gain 3 lbs. I'm not sure what happened here! So in my frustration I over indulged in wine and pizza this weekend!

Anyway, I felt guilty today. So besides my 9.5 mile run this morning per my HM plan, I took a dinner break during work tonight and got on the trainer for 6x4'@95-100% CP.

After losing 200 pounds I've learned a thing or three about weight loss and I'm still learning, but this much I know;

- The scale is fickle.  A little thing can toss it off.  The need for a bowel movement.  Hydration.  Such little things.  I think they told me at IM that I was down 4 pounds after 14:56.  They said that was four bottles!  Not a lot.  So my advice, relax about it.  Don't let the scale get into your head.  As long as the trend is in the right direction over time, you will get the results for the work you put into it. 

- If there is a problem, it is often one of two things.  One, we aren't measuring portions.  We are actually consuming more than we think. Or two, we aren't accurate in our measurements of calorie burn and think we are burning more than we are.  That is one reason I like the Power Tap.  No BSing the device.  It tells you exactly what you burned.  Body Bugg seems pretty accurate except on the bike. Using it I found I was burning less than LiveSTRONG.com was telling me I was.

But again, relax.  Frustration from unfulfilled expectations is our greatest enemy.   Do the right things, we get the right results over time.  Eat less than you burn and your body has no choice but to lose the weight. 

Get back to it! You rock!  It's a new day! 

thanks Scott. Is there a Kettlebell set and workouts/vids you can recommend?

2012-02-13 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4043872

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

gator22 - 2012-02-13 6:08 AM Got out there and froze by butt off. But I did 2.5 miles. I had to wear boots and a big coat so my time was even slower than normal.

With the wind this morning, it had to be brutal out there! Love my treadmill and trainer!

2012-02-13 9:40 AM
in reply to: #4044248

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Meulen - 2012-02-13 9:20 AM

Meulen - 2012-02-12 9:45 PM I have to admit a little dissapointment this weekend. I got on te scale and was up 3lbs. I know that's not a lot and can be a lot of different things. But I have been on a 1500 cal/day diet for months now. That should equal 2lbs per week weight loss. Not gain 3 lbs. I'm not sure what happened here! So in my frustration I over indulged in wine and pizza this weekend!

Anyway, I felt guilty today. So besides my 9.5 mile run this morning per my HM plan, I took a dinner break during work tonight and got on the trainer for 6x4'@95-100% CP.

After losing 200 pounds I've learned a thing or three about weight loss and I'm still learning, but this much I know;

- The scale is fickle.  A little thing can toss it off.  The need for a bowel movement.  Hydration.  Such little things.  I think they told me at IM that I was down 4 pounds after 14:56.  They said that was four bottles!  Not a lot.  So my advice, relax about it.  Don't let the scale get into your head.  As long as the trend is in the right direction over time, you will get the results for the work you put into it. 

- If there is a problem, it is often one of two things.  One, we aren't measuring portions.  We are actually consuming more than we think. Or two, we aren't accurate in our measurements of calorie burn and think we are burning more than we are.  That is one reason I like the Power Tap.  No BSing the device.  It tells you exactly what you burned.  Body Bugg seems pretty accurate except on the bike. Using it I found I was burning less than LiveSTRONG.com was telling me I was.

But again, relax.  Frustration from unfulfilled expectations is our greatest enemy.   Do the right things, we get the right results over time.  Eat less than you burn and your body has no choice but to lose the weight. 

Guy named Pavel "Enter the Kettlebells!"  Book and vid.  The vid is great.  Very instructional. But beware.  They are very dynamic.  They can cause injury when not done right.  Check to see if there is someone who can show you locally.  RKC is Pavel's certification.  

2012-02-13 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4044313

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
IceManScott - 2012-02-13 9:40 AM

Meulen - 2012-02-13 9:20 AM

Guy named Pavel "Enter the Kettlebells!"  Book and vid.  The vid is great.  Very instructional. But beware.  They are very dynamic.  They can cause injury when not done right.  Check to see if there is someone who can show you locally.  RKC is Pavel's certification.  

thx!
2012-02-13 9:49 AM
in reply to: #4044010

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
IceManScott - 2012-02-13 8:27 AM

I'd say that duathlon was a bear for early in the season.  Way to step up. 

I'm proceeding well, I think.  The kettlebells continue to do a number on my body and thanks for it.  As of yesterday's weigh-in, I'm down 12 pounds since starting k bells and paleo on Jan. 1.  I've noticed a tempo to the losses...two weeks slow or steady, third week a dramatic drop...repeat.

I will say that I am under 2200 every day, somethings as low as 1700 like yesterday and burning 3200 like yesterday.  Evidently my body has shifted to burning fat well.  I seem to have plenty of energy. Sleeping well but for frequent trips to the bathroom which I attribute to the weight loss and hydration.  When losing, a byproduct seems to be water. 

My scale measures body fat and it has stayed around 10% ...as inaccurate as it may be, the measure should be relative and show that I am NOT losing muscle as I drop weight thanks to the strength training.  

I test again on the bike next week before entering another phase of training. I'll be interested in seeing how I do.  But I am more pain free than ever, which I also attribute to greater strength. 

All good. 

How about Lance, eh?  A beast.  Love the guy. 

Congrats the solid progress Ice!  I admire your discipline with the Paleo! 

I got to give Lance credit, I figured he would be middle of the pro pack in the swim, catch up with the leaders on the bike and drop to middle of the pro pack on the run.  Didn't figure on him racing so strong his first race at this distance.

2012-02-13 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4043872

User image

Regular
Maryland

gator22 - 2012-02-13 5:08 AM Got out there and froze by butt off. But I did 2.5 miles. I had to wear boots and a big coat so my time was even slower than normal.

You went running with boots?  Wow, nice determination.

2012-02-13 11:32 AM
in reply to: #4043028

User image

Regular
Maryland

Wow, not sure what "Insanity" is, but it sounds impressive!

Nice work Ken

2012-02-13 11:33 AM
in reply to: #4043602

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
sdswriter - 2012-02-12 7:51 PM

Well, I managed to finish the "DU the Three Bears" duathlon on Saturday. But man, it was a tough course -- especially for the first race of the season! It's held in El Sobrante, which is in the hills above Berkeley overlooking the SF Bay. It's a pretty place, but it's a bit cruel to hold an early-season duathlon there...

The bears (I mean the hills) were daunting -- about 2300+ feet in elevation. The three bears I met -- Mama Bear, Papa Bear, and Baby Bear -- were very unfriendly. I ran into many other surly bears, as well. At about mile marker 15 of the bike ride, there was this ominous area marked in the road called a "Feeding Zone." What the heck does that mean??!!

It's really tough for me to evaluate my race (it's a 2.4 mile run - 18.9 mile bike - 2.2 mile run). I gave it a good effort. But with the difficulty of the course, I'm not exactly sure how to gauge how well I did.  I managed to finish 26th overall (out of 59) and 6th (out of 7) in my 45-49 age group (there are some amazing vintage-age athletes here in the SF Bay Area). I'm moving up to the 50-54 AG in May, but it's no less competitive in that group, either.

Anyway, I filled in the blanks in my BT race report... For my next race, I'm looking for an event featuring, hopefully, some hibernating bears.  Of course, it wouldn't hurt me to lose a few lbs and do some more hill work... Undecided

Hope everybody had a great weekend!

wow! congrats on the finish! sounds like a tough one!

2012-02-13 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4043355

User image

Regular
Maryland
MarlaS - 2012-02-12 4:09 PM
kenj - 2012-02-12 11:31 AM

Insanity and spin class this morning.  Legs felt pretty

good for both. 

Hows everyones weekend going?

Happy to say I think I'm full emerged from December slugdom...down 4.1 pounds this week, and just ran ~4.5 miles in below 30 degree temps (big deal for my wimpy southern butt!) after 90 minute spin this morning. Debating hitting pool tonight tho...so feeling pretty smug this afternoon..stinky but smug.

How'd the racers fare?

Nice work on the weight loss and the workouts!  I don't blame you for being smug - you've earned it

2012-02-13 11:37 AM
in reply to: #4043760

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
MarlaS - 2012-02-12 10:13 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-02-12 8:10 PM

good for both. 

Happy to say I think I'm full emerged from December slugdom...down 4.1 pounds this week, and just ran ~4.5 miles in below 30 degree temps (big deal for my wimpy southern butt!) after 90 minute spin this morning. Debating hitting pool tonight tho...so feeling pretty smug this afternoon..stinky but smug.

How'd the racers fare?

Great job Marla!!!!

Smile Smile Smile

How's your foot?

optimistically hopefull! Family is snowmobiling to a friends cabin this upcoming long weekend and I am going to slowly ween myself off the boot (again) over the weekend. 

2012-02-13 11:38 AM
in reply to: #4044010

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
IceManScott - 2012-02-13 7:27 AM

I'd say that duathlon was a bear for early in the season.  Way to step up. 

I'm proceeding well, I think.  The kettlebells continue to do a number on my body and thanks for it.  As of yesterday's weigh-in, I'm down 12 pounds since starting k bells and paleo on Jan. 1.  I've noticed a tempo to the losses...two weeks slow or steady, third week a dramatic drop...repeat.

I will say that I am under 2200 every day, somethings as low as 1700 like yesterday and burning 3200 like yesterday.  Evidently my body has shifted to burning fat well.  I seem to have plenty of energy. Sleeping well but for frequent trips to the bathroom which I attribute to the weight loss and hydration.  When losing, a byproduct seems to be water. 

My scale measures body fat and it has stayed around 10% ...as inaccurate as it may be, the measure should be relative and show that I am NOT losing muscle as I drop weight thanks to the strength training.  

I test again on the bike next week before entering another phase of training. I'll be interested in seeing how I do.  But I am more pain free than ever, which I also attribute to greater strength. 

All good. 

How about Lance, eh?  A beast.  Love the guy. 

you the man Ice!

2012-02-13 11:39 AM
in reply to: #4044656

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Viyoung - 2012-02-13 11:36 AM

good for both. 

How'd the racers fare?

Nice work on the weight loss and the workouts!  I don't blame you for being smug - you've earned it

x2!

2012-02-13 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4043602

User image

Regular
Maryland
sdswriter - 2012-02-12 7:51 PM

Well, I managed to finish the "DU the Three Bears" duathlon on Saturday. But man, it was a tough course -- especially for the first race of the season! It's held in El Sobrante, which is in the hills above Berkeley overlooking the SF Bay. It's a pretty place, but it's a bit cruel to hold an early-season duathlon there...

The bears (I mean the hills) were daunting -- about 2300+ feet in elevation. The three bears I met -- Mama Bear, Papa Bear, and Baby Bear -- were very unfriendly. I ran into many other surly bears, as well. At about mile marker 15 of the bike ride, there was this ominous area marked in the road called a "Feeding Zone." What the heck does that mean??!!

It's really tough for me to evaluate my race (it's a 2.4 mile run - 18.9 mile bike - 2.2 mile run). I gave it a good effort. But with the difficulty of the course, I'm not exactly sure how to gauge how well I did.  I managed to finish 26th overall (out of 59) and 6th (out of 7) in my 45-49 age group (there are some amazing vintage-age athletes here in the SF Bay Area). I'm moving up to the 50-54 AG in May, but it's no less competitive in that group, either.

Anyway, I filled in the blanks in my BT race report... For my next race, I'm looking for an event featuring, hopefully, some hibernating bears.  Of course, it wouldn't hurt me to lose a few lbs and do some more hill work... Undecided

Hope everybody had a great weekend!

3 bears, for real?  Wow, I'm definitely impressed.  Sounds like a good race

2012-02-13 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4043738

User image

Regular
Maryland

Nice make up workout after the wine and pizza. 

2012-02-13 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3943039

User image

Regular
Maryland

Okay, so I'm slowly making my way back to the plan.

Went running on Friday evening, swim class on Saturday morning and then for 20/20 min workout on the treadmill/elliptical last night.  Happily, my running is getting easier.  I think the strength training that I'm doing in Boot Camp has really helped with all around performance.

I'm thinking about swapping out boot camp next session for spin class, though.  I'm not getting enough use out of my trainer.  I find that taking a class works better for me.

2012-02-13 12:02 PM
in reply to: #4044695

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Viyoung - 2012-02-13 11:50 AM

Okay, so I'm slowly making my way back to the plan.

Went running on Friday evening, swim class on Saturday morning and then for 20/20 min workout on the treadmill/elliptical last night.  Happily, my running is getting easier.  I think the strength training that I'm doing in Boot Camp has really helped with all around performance.

I'm thinking about swapping out boot camp next session for spin class, though.  I'm not getting enough use out of my trainer.  I find that taking a class works better for me.

Nice work! Glad running is getting easier. My wife is the same way with classes. Do what you need to do to stay in the game.

2012-02-13 4:16 PM
in reply to: #4044647

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Viyoung - 2012-02-13 12:32 PM

Wow, not sure what "Insanity" is, but it sounds impressive!

Nice work Ken

Thanks Vivian!

Insanity is just plyometric type workouts, fairly intense but doable.  The company that puts it out is the same as P90X. 

Glad to hear that your training is getting better!!  I know this isn't always a popular statement, but I think the right type of strength training helps the running/biking and swimming. 

2012-02-13 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4044658

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-02-13 12:37 PM

good for both. 

How'd the racers fare?

Great job Marla!!!!

Smile Smile Smile

How's your foot?

optimistically hopefull! Family is snowmobiling to a friends cabin this upcoming long weekend and I am going to slowly ween myself off the boot (again) over the weekend. 

That just sounds cold!  But I know a lot of people around here haul their snowmobiles up to the mountains.  I hope the boot removal is successful this time Robin!!

2012-02-13 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4045504

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
kenj - 2012-02-13 4:18 PM
robingray_260 - 2012-02-13 12:37 PM

good for both. 

How'd the racers fare?

Great job Marla!!!!

Smile Smile Smile

How's your foot?

That just sounds cold!  But I know a lot of people around here haul their snowmobiles up to the mountains.  I hope the boot removal is successful this time Robin!!

It may be warmer here than in NY today - right now is a mix of rain/snow temp is right at 32. 

I bought new insoles today from the local running store.  they are called arch molds and after they are heated you put them in your shoe - as they cool they form to your feet. I am hoping they will be better than my custom orthotics that I think have been hurting my foot more than helping. Anyone else ever used these - if so did you like them?

2012-02-13 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
so aqua jogging is interesting. Better than I thought it would be once I got over the fact that I was "one of those people". It can be hard to get the heart rate up so after a 5 minute warm up I did 1 minute intervals going as hard as I could.  Doesnt feel like running but whatcha gonna do!
2012-02-13 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4044143

User image

Veteran
Georgia
IceManScott - 2012-02-13 9:33 AM

I have had the same problem as Meulen, I log and measure everything that goes in, and I have had no weight loss at all according to the scale I'm up another 5 and BF% went up 3% in 4 weeks...I guess I think to much about it, I might look into ready Paleo because nothing else seems to be working...Congrats on your success Iceman..Keep up the great work.

2012-02-13 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4045629

User image

Veteran
Georgia

robingray_260 - 2012-02-13 6:26 PM so aqua jogging is interesting. Better than I thought it would be once I got over the fact that I was "one of those people". It can be hard to get the heart rate up so after a 5 minute warm up I did 1 minute intervals going as hard as I could.  Doesnt feel like running but whatcha gonna do!

Way to get some training in..Hope the removal off the boot this time works.,..Good Luck...

2012-02-13 6:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Alright guys and gals a little smack Monday smack talk!!!Tongue out Long day at work and the pool was closed..So I just hit the gym for a 30 min.strength circuit training session, then got on a machine called Jacobs Ladder and went 30 minutes with a total climbing effort 2250 feet...This machine is great for cardio...  http://www.jacobsladderexercise.com

Checkout the website if you want to see the machine not sure how many know about it..Time for some dinner and recovery...

Glad everyone in our group is still at it..

Has anyone heard from abake???

2012-02-13 6:23 PM
in reply to: #4045705

User image

Regular
Denver
shake-n-bake - 2012-02-13 6:20 PM

Alright guys and gals a little smack Monday smack talk!!!Tongue out Long day at work and the pool was closed..So I just hit the gym for a 30 min.strength circuit training session, then got on a machine called Jacobs Ladder and went 30 minutes with a total climbing effort 2250 feet...This machine is great for cardio...  http://www.jacobsladderexercise.com

Checkout the website if you want to see the machine not sure how many know about it..Time for some dinner and recovery...

Glad everyone in our group is still at it..

Has anyone heard from abake???

Very nice smack talk!!!I am pre-smack talk... but hope to post a double session late night!
2012-02-13 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4045629

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
robingray_260 - 2012-02-13 6:26 PMso aqua jogging is interesting. Better than I thought it would be once I got over the fact that I was "one of those people". It can be hard to get the heart rate up so after a 5 minute warm up I did 1 minute intervals going as hard as I could.  Doesnt feel like running but whatcha gonna do!
Local guy who runs 5k's under 15, competes at a high level at all distances up to marathon does a lot of aqua jogging for recovery. I am guessing that the benefits will be there for you. Hang in there!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj - motivated triathletes in training - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72