BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-07-28 6:07 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Jason-glad the run went well. Hope the neck continues to improve. Bet you have a great race at Boulder.

Randee/Scott-those are some nice rides. Elevation gain is not even in my vocabulary down here on the coast.....always makes races with some hills "interesting".

Jamie-that's a heck of a week. Like Jason said you are almost there. After the hard work of training a taper will be nice....until taperitis sets in and you feel tired, twitchy and lazy because you didn't train 20 hours the previous week .

Some of the local guys here have signed up for IM Los Cabos for next March and are trying to talk me into doing it......standing by my mantra of "no Ironman for me".  Yeah I'm weak but not that weak.  Despite their best efforts of clouding my judgment with alcohol I held firm!

2013-07-28 6:31 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Veteran
Denton

What's up team? Looks like you guys keep busy. I finished my Sprint triathlon this morning and came in 5th out of 32 in my AG. I missed my first podium by 90 seconds ... can you believe it? 90 seconds? Kills me! Oh well ... one day I will get my podium spot ... :-)

I had a rough two weeks. Its interesting how the mind plays tricks on you. After my crash two weeks ago I kept on having dreams of DNF'ing my races. It got worse the closer I got to today. It shows that a big part of racing is mental. I was only able to get 3.5 hours and had an ok race but could have done better but for some reason I couldn't get my breathing under control in both the bike and the run.

On a good note ... out of 32 triathletes in my AG I came in 2nd on the swim. Overall I was the 16th fastest swimmer. (Out of 203 male triathletes.

Now I have a 5 week build up to my next Sprint Tri and then I am going full steam into my preparation for Austin 70.3.

Here is my race report from today.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=496410

2013-07-28 6:42 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Master
South Alabama
Michael-excellent work! Saw your tweet about pre race nerves this morning. I'm with you there! Glad you had a good race. You will be on the podium soon. Keep at it...all that consistency will continue to pay off and produce even more gains.
2013-07-29 6:17 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Large group (16 of us) swam at Thurmond dam yesterday. Water is warm enough for no wetsuit, and I promised myself to go all the way to the 3rd buoy (which would give me a full mile swim). The lake was SO choppy. Worst conditions anyone has swam in there, but I found myself pretty relaxed even though I was getting thrown around a ton by waves, wake and chop. Got my full mile in which really gave me confidence for the Augusta 70.3 swim. Now if we could only get into the savannah river soon for ows there. River keeper says no go for now. Still tons of debris and super.fast current from the 6 weeks of rain this summer.

On another note....when swimming in open water sans wetsuit, do be sure to put sunscreen on your back. I'm pretty.crispy this morning.
2013-07-29 10:58 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Randy - Los Cabos?! Well.....maybe you should just go to be team support Looks like a nice place for a race! We were in Cozumel a few years ago when they were setting up for IM. Saw lots of athletes and nice bikes. That would be a great venue too!

Michael congrats on a great race. They are such a mental game! Glad you were able to overcome

Nancy - excellent advice on the sunscreen. Hope you are not too over done today! Choppy waters really scare me because I tend to get sea sick pretty easily. That's why I shy away from ocean events.

One of my running forum friends posted that she got stung by jelly fish 3 times this weekend in her ocean tri - once was in the face! OMG. That happen to anyone here?

Ok had pt this am and have been procrastinating since I got to work. Guess I should go be productive now.

Day 2 on the standup desk. My legs are a little tired from the weekend - hope I can make it.

Have a good day all.
2013-07-29 11:47 AM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Michael, congrats on a solid race performance, especially that swim. I know the pain of missing the podium like that, I missed it by 90 secs in my last race...keep it up!

2013-07-29 2:31 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by wannabefaster
Originally posted by WoodrowCall
Originally posted by wannabefaster First real run since I hurt myself and it went perfect. I was afraid I would feel bad but I felt great. I went farther and ran faster than I was supposed to but I couldn't help myself. Of course it didn't hurt that it was 60 degrees, overcast, light breeze. Weather made for running. Of course some sort of front blew in during my run and it was really windy and even a bit cold by the time I was done. All in all, a great return to running
Glad to hear your first run back went well! I'd be nervous too! Just got finished with a 2:45 long run...and I am feeling beaten up right now. My HR was fine, but I can tell my legs are just trashed right now. Luckily, nothing is really wrong, as in injury-wise, so I just need to relax today and tomorrow, then it's one more peak week before tapering starts for Louisville. I just need to make one more big push to get there...
Jamie, You are right where you need to be. In my last couple big weeks last year I felt as fragile as a newborn fawn. I felt like I was so close to falling apart but held it together and after a nice taper, everything got better. It sounds like you are in the same spot. Stick to the plan and you will be right on target for a great race.

I thought of this phrase today as I was doing a long swim and another longer bike.  Last weekend was probably very beneficial-10 hours of riding in two days followed by a long pace run, but boy am I wiped today.  Like Jamie, I have two really big important weeks left before things start to ease off a bit.  Hope I can hold up!

The weather has turned around in Wisconsin, sunny and upper 60s.  Can't tell you how happy that makes me!

2013-07-30 6:28 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama
Good morning everyone. Easy swim done early. Bike workout this evening. Hard to believe that July is almost over. My last race of the season will likely be Sept. 7th. I know seceral in the group still have big Fall races. Anyone have any big plans for late Falll or Winter. Triathlons, runs, etc..?
2013-07-30 8:42 AM

User image

Today is my last day of summer vacation. The new school year begins for me tomorrow. Kiddos go back next Tuesday. I'm really going to miss my Tuesday morning bike rides. I'm not ready for school to start.

I've got my first Oly distance in 5 weeks and the Augusta HIM on Sept 30. I'll focus on running over thewinter. Planning on a Dec and Feb HM. Might consider another full marathon in March. Time will tell on that one.

2013-07-30 9:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I've got a one hour run to do in a couple hours, then a swim later this afternoon. After Louisville in late August, I'll probably do a couple local sprints or olympics in September/October. I'm also considering doing a full marathon this Fall, since I'll be trained up for one, although I haven't decided which one yet.
2013-07-30 9:21 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by slornow Good morning everyone. Easy swim done early. Bike workout this evening. Hard to believe that July is almost over. My last race of the season will likely be Sept. 7th. I know seceral in the group still have big Fall races. Anyone have any big plans for late Falll or Winter. Triathlons, runs, etc..?

Two days after IM WI, I am heading to Africa for a 2 week safari so no tris or runs and that's the way I like it. I feel like i need a big break after the IM build up.   Five of my BT girlfriends and I are headed to Vegas in November though to run the half marathon.  Big A race will be Boston in April!

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-07-30 9:22 AM

2013-07-30 9:38 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-hard to believe school is about to start. I thought they started early down here..usually around Aug. 10-12. Hope things get off to a smooth start.

Suzy-sounds like a fun Fall. Lots of incentive to push through IMWI.

Jamie-I suspect you will need a bit of a rest after the year you have had so far with training for your first IM. I'm with you though...sometimes I'm looking for another race so I don't "waste" my fitness.

Not sure what I'll do over the Winter. Last year I planned on trying to run a couple of HM's but a lingering calf problem kept me from doing any running for about 6-8 weeks. Unfortunately, I seem to always have some ailment pop up when I ramp up to run a HM. I still might do one over the Winter though. Might try to do some quirky short term things like "30 swims in 30 days" or something like that to keep things interesting.

2013-07-30 9:45 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am planning on running a marathon this winter or in early spring, so after I get through Tahoe I am sure there will be a "moderate amount" of running on the schedule. I recognize that I need the most work on the bike and swim, but I love to run and will try to do a bit more over the winter. I have thoughts of trying to do a block where I am running 70-80 miles a week consistently. I think if I could get to that point, a sub three hour marathon would be pretty attainable. Running that much would mean reducing something else though.....
2013-07-30 9:48 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Today is my last day of summer vacation. The new school year begins for me tomorrow. Kiddos go back next Tuesday. I'm really going to miss my Tuesday morning bike rides. I'm not ready for school to start.

My son is in an alternative high school and he just finished last Thursday. He goes back in less than four weeks. In that four weeks we are going to squeeze in an ACT prep course.

I asked him if he was excited to be done for awhile. He said no, that he likes going to school and he will be bored until he goes back.

Weird kid I don't ever remember thinking like that in high school.
2013-07-30 9:54 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jason-if you have to give up something I give you "permission" to give up or cut back on swimming provided you grant me the same favor
2013-07-30 9:57 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Two days after IM WI, I am heading to Africa for a 2 week safari so no tris or runs and that's the way I like it. I feel like i need a big break after the IM build up.   Five of my BT girlfriends and I are headed to Vegas in November though to run the half marathon.  Big A race will be Boston in April!

How cool is that?! Sounds like a blast!!

Happy Tuesday. Local sprint tonight. I totally don't have enough rest under my legs but wth, it's paid for Then I'm ramping up for another sprint on Sunday. Should be fun.

Hey where's Blanda lately? And Stuart - I know he's lurking.....CHECK IN STUART!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-30 9:59 AM

2013-07-30 11:55 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I've been off the grid for a couple off days and finally got caught up. The family spent a couple of days at Lake Tahoe, lots and lots of people riding the bike course. I didn't get a chance to ride any of it but I did drive the whole thing with the exception of the closed residential portion. Jason, it's going to be a tough one especially coming out of Truckee up 267 back to the lake but there are a few decents for you to catch your breath on. I was amazed at the amount of tri bikes on the course. My training has been pretty lackluster and I start 4 straight weeks of racing on Sunday. I'm hoping to get through it at least a little rest should help. I'm thinking of doing an oly in October we will how work goes, 50-60 hour weeks are wreaking havoc on my training.
2013-07-30 3:11 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Anybody other than me really dislike recovery weeks? My BT HIM training plan has a recovery week every 4th week. I have a really hard time motivating myself to do the short 30 minute workouts, but if it said 90 minute run, I'd be all over it.

Also...another thought. When I trained for half and full marathons, I always trained by miles, not time. My HIM training plan uses time, which, if you're a relatively slow runner, swimmer or cyclist, could be a disadvantage. A 60 minute run for me is right around 6 miles, whereas someone who runs 7 or 8 minute miles clearly will run farther than me in training (or ride farther in the 2 hour or 2.5 hour rides). I hope this won't bite me in the butt on race day. I'd really like to have some gas in the tank at mile 10 of the run.
2013-07-30 3:21 PM

User image

Originally posted by slornow

Good morning everyone. Easy swim done early. Bike workout this evening. Hard to believe that July is almost over. My last race of the season will likely be Sept. 7th. I know seceral in the group still have big Fall races. Anyone have any big plans for late Falll or Winter. Triathlons, runs, etc..?

After this weekend I'm considering a 'last' sprint tri on sept 7th, but might not... Other than that I'll be running the Dublin Half Marathon Sept 21st and possibly the full marathon at the end of October, but haven't decided yet. I just really really want to improve on the bike and was kind of hoping to focus on it over the winter - use the mountain bike instead of the road. Has anyone ever done that?
2013-07-30 3:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee

Anybody other than me really dislike recovery weeks? My BT HIM training plan has a recovery week every 4th week. I have a really hard time motivating myself to do the short 30 minute workouts, but if it said 90 minute run, I'd be all over it.

Also...another thought. When I trained for half and full marathons, I always trained by miles, not time. My HIM training plan uses time, which, if you're a relatively slow runner, swimmer or cyclist, could be a disadvantage. A 60 minute run for me is right around 6 miles, whereas someone who runs 7 or 8 minute miles clearly will run farther than me in training (or ride farther in the 2 hour or 2.5 hour rides). I hope this won't bite me in the butt on race day. I'd really like to have some gas in the tank at mile 10 of the run.

I'm using the IronFit IM training plan, which goes by time, and I really like it. I think the key is training by HR. Running for an hour, or running for 6 miles might be the same thing, but it isn't always the same thing, based on temp, humidity, elevation, or just how good you're feeling that day. On Sunday, I had to run 2:45 in Z2. It didn't matter how far I got, it just mattered that I stayed in the right HR range for 2:45. That's important for training, I think. When I first started running, I was definitely one of those guys who wanted to PR every workout, which is just a good plan for a quick injury. As long as HR is involved, I think training by time is really effective since it sets the parameters for the workout.
2013-07-30 3:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Sounds like there's still a lot planned for this year. I can't wait to hear how it all goes.

I've just signed up for a London to Paris bike ride in September. It's just under 250 miles in 3 days, and I'm really looking forward to it. (Doesn't quite compare to Africa, but never mind...)

I find it bizarre that you guys have schools going back soon. Our schools only broke up for the holidays last week, and so there's nearly 6 weeks to go...

2013-07-30 5:01 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I'm using the IronFit IM training plan, which goes by time, and I really like it. I think the key is training by HR. Running for an hour, or running for 6 miles might be the same thing, but it isn't always the same thing, based on temp, humidity, elevation, or just how good you're feeling that day. On Sunday, I had to run 2:45 in Z2. It didn't matter how far I got, it just mattered that I stayed in the right HR range for 2:45. That's important for training, I think. When I first started running, I was definitely one of those guys who wanted to PR every workout, which is just a good plan for a quick injury. As long as HR is involved, I think training by time is really effective since it sets the parameters for the workout.

Jamie...this makes me feel better. I do all of my running with a HRM, and have a 'target' range for my long runs, tempo runs, track workouts, etc. I found on my long slow runs that I REALLY had to lower my overall pace to keep my HR in that targeted zone. It's a much slower pace than I was running in preparation for my marathon in March, but I'm sure the GA/SC heat and humidity are coming into play as well. What's interesting is that I'm having some of my best long runs to date where I'm finally able to push the pace a bit more the 2nd have and negative split my workouts. When I just went and 'ran for 9 miles,' each mile got slower and slower. I definitely see the benefits of utilizing HR in training...
2013-07-30 5:58 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Jason-if you have to give up something I give you "permission" to give up or cut back on swimming provided you grant me the same favor

Permission granted.
2013-07-30 11:01 PM

User image

Champion
Hey guys. I'm back at the training. Just started with a new coach on Monday....I'm zzzzzzzzzzz. Debated for the past month what my plan is RE: tri in residency. I've decided to give it a go. We will see. I figure I need a coach to stay accountable or I laze about like I have for the past month.

I did a tri here in Prince George last weekend. (PS. yes, the royal baby is named Prince George....Prince George is very excited about this fact). I won my AG of 2. lol. First AG win ever...so I will take it. Overall not my best race though. Signed up for the Victoria half marathon in Oct and am thinking about Wildflower HIM in Cali next May.

Just wanted to check in and say I'm alive. and now I'm going to bed. WOOOOO!
2013-07-31 12:10 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
I thought I would drop by and say hello. Been off for weeks and weeks really struggling with my recovery from surgery. Still on crutches closing in on 4 months. But today, finally, some light at the end of the tunnel. This morning I swam 1350 yards albeit dragging my left leg behind me. In the afternoon I walked a 1.1 mile course in 35 minutes. Not bad on the crutches. Then this evening I got 15 minutes in on the bike...pain free. It may not sound like much but big for my morale if nothing else.

I have checked in from time to time and REALLY proud of the great work being turned in from the group.

Stay healthy, stay strong and continue to crush it. I will be watching from the cheap seats.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88