BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-04-23 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1353342

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS

amy mutz - 2008-04-21 6:30 PM Julie - great to have you back girl!!!!! Thanks for the great article, fabulous darling! I talk about this group constantly to my family and friends, I think they get sick of hearing about you, I'm always saying my BT group this, or my BT friends that, or I'm going to meet some of them one day, and I was proud to say my friend Julie had a brother in the IMAZ and told them the entire story of Dorothy... Well let's just say you all just add the right amount of flavor and spice to my life. Thanks!!!!! Good Night, let's see if I get to shake, rattle and row again tonight....hmmmm Later Tri Family. Amy IN

right back atcha...my dh knows many of you by your user names!! thanks to all of you for getting me to my first tri! well almost!

2008-04-23 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1353369

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

crea0029 - 2008-04-21 6:37 PM Amy, I think my friends and family are getting sick of hearing about you guys too... I'm the same way.  I talk about my BT family to everyone all the time.  Guess that truly shows where things stand with me   Off to work on those papers

are the papers about us!? hehe

2008-04-23 12:49 PM
in reply to: #1353894

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

medic0020 - 2008-04-22 6:27 AM I've been getting harassed for links/copies of last week's news story.  It never was posted on their website but you can just google-eric morrison, paramedic, charlotte--for all kinds of fun tidbits.  I'm pretty famous 

what? you have always been famous.....especially to us on your mentors team....didn't take a fox news story to tell us that!!!

2008-04-23 12:50 PM
in reply to: #1353979

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
medic0020 - 2008-04-22 7:01 AM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-21 10:56 AM
amy mutz - 2008-04-21 7:37 AM
crea0029 - 2008-04-20 9:40 PM

Dee, are you post padding again?    Nice to see you around again...I take it werk has been bad.

Well I had a very unproductive weekend and now have a couple of papers to get done early this week.  Hope everyone had a good weekend... looks like everyone was busy.  I got to lay out in the sun for a bit so I don't burn so bad when I start doing really long training segments outside.  I have less than 3 months till the HIM...boy that makes me scared!  What is everyone's next race? 

Me and Hubby do the Louisville Derby Mini Marry this Sat... This will be my first. Good-luck with the papers. Didn't the sun feel great! Amy IN

I have my VERY first tri this weekend! it is 500m 14+mile bike ride and a little over 3 mile hilly run! I am very ready....I have ran and biked the course twice now....and you know where I will be nervous...that is the swim portion! but it is in a pool and I will just plug along! my times in the pool will suck, but I will just have to make up for it on the bike and run portions!

It's about time that we're finally going to be able to crown Julie an official triathlete   I'm sure you'll do great this weekend!

ew ew ew! I get a crown! now I am really going to go fast!

2008-04-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1356441

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
mman - 2008-04-23 6:47 AM

Hey all,

Just taking a minute to check in. Stef was supposed to be out all week, but things changed. One of her blood levels dealing with the pancreas is through the roof - 5x above normal. So they weren't going to start the new med, then they were going to start it, then yesterday after 6 hrs at MDA they decided to not start it after all. Been a roller coaster. Right now, there is no explanation of why her level skyrocketed like it did. Strange thing is she should be experiencing pancreatic pain and she's not (thankfully but strange). They are guessing that the med she's been on for 2 weeks is causing the reaction but since it's experimental, there isn't much data to go on.

We also had a blow that one of our friends and neighbors died of complications from lung cancer. She was one of the families we honored at the triathlon last year. It wasn't unexpected - she's been going downhill. They had to rush her to the ER early Monday morning and she died that afternoon. She was 44 and has a 7th and 5th grader - both girls. It has brought up a lot of questions with our kids (if mom dies, will she die at home, etc). Another man we supported in the triathlon is in hospice right now and will pass at any moment. We are good friends with his sister. So looks like 2 funerals that are hitting way too close to our situation. 

I can't wait to read race reports from the upcoming weekend! I hope you are all doing well.

Greg

p.s. If you care to follow Stephanie's blog, she has it on carepages.com. When you register with carepages, go to the carepage pray4stef.  

I am soooo very sorry Greg! boy when the poop hits the fan...it hits hard and very close to home! I will be praying for all you listed...hang in there and tell Stephanie that I am sending lots of love and care from Cali to my home town of Houston Texas! give her a big kiss for me!! I may be making an impromtu trip to Houston....my dad is not doing very well and i really want to go spend some time with him! so, who knows I may be calling you soon! take care....and keep that chin up....remember that Steph really needs you now!! Please call me if you ever need a shoulder! I am a very good listener!!! take care!!!

2008-04-23 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1357199

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-23 12:48 PM

crea0029 - 2008-04-21 6:37 PM Amy, I think my friends and family are getting sick of hearing about you guys too... I'm the same way. I talk about my BT family to everyone all the time. Guess that truly shows where things stand with me Off to work on those papers

Unless you are abnormal, child psychology subjects... no... though I could write about how OCD we triathletes are. 

2008-04-23 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Good evening tri friends/family... I'm done with work, well as done as I will get today. I was planning a long walk with my poochie and hubby but I took a shower and I'm going to do "NOTHING" I tired. I will just say it for my taper for the mini marry this weekend...hhmmm

Julie - looks like you got some computer time going on...do you have a laptop in bed???? I'm like you girl, when I'm talking about the group my husband will say...ooohhh that's Julie in CA. right....hahahahaha yep! thats her. It's sorta weird getting close to people this way, but it is oh sooooo cool!!!

Well my hubby is done grilling chicken so it's time to go eat...

Oh, I might get to meet Eric in Dec., my nephew lives in North Carolina and it's only 45 min from his house....cool.

Hey Pam don't stay up to late with those psychology papers it will drive you "nuts"...oh yeah I'm soooo funny or slap happy. I better say good-night.

Hey Dee you can have a taper evening too
2008-04-23 7:02 PM
in reply to: #1358115

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
crea0029 - 2008-04-23 3:21 PM
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-04-23 12:48 PM

crea0029 - 2008-04-21 6:37 PM Amy, I think my friends and family are getting sick of hearing about you guys too... I'm the same way. I talk about my BT family to everyone all the time. Guess that truly shows where things stand with me Off to work on those papers

Unless you are abnormal, child psychology subjects... no... though I could write about how OCD we triathletes are. 

LOL! good one Pam!!

2008-04-23 7:06 PM
in reply to: #1358208

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-04-23 4:12 PM Good evening tri friends/family... I'm done with work, well as done as I will get today. I was planning a long walk with my poochie and hubby but I took a shower and I'm going to do "NOTHING" I tired. I will just say it for my taper for the mini marry this weekend...hhmmm Julie - looks like you got some computer time going on...do you have a laptop in bed???? I'm like you girl, when I'm talking about the group my husband will say...ooohhh that's Julie in CA. right....hahahahaha yep! thats her. It's sorta weird getting close to people this way, but it is oh sooooo cool!!! Well my hubby is done grilling chicken so it's time to go eat... Oh, I might get to meet Eric in Dec., my nephew lives in North Carolina and it's only 45 min from his house....cool. Hey Pam don't stay up to late with those psychology papers it will drive you "nuts"...oh yeah I'm soooo funny or slap happy. I better say good-night. Hey Dee you can have a taper evening too

nite...I am seeing double from the nyquil and did a shot of whiskey with lemon! taste terrible...but boy does my throat feel better! have a good evening everyone!  nite! well it is still very light out...but is lights out for me! nite all!

2008-04-24 9:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Gads, I get busy for a few days and you guys get real busy...

Dee, I hope you are alright!!!

Eric, I did google you and it is good of you to make such a difference your community.  I am proud to be in your group.  What a difference you are making!

Amy CA, good to see a fly by note from you.  Yes, I cannot wait to be a grandfather.  I loved being a parent... This will be even better.

Amy IN, I still marvel at your generosity with your hair.  When my mother was bald from her chemo it made a big difference.

Pam,  You will do well in your HIM!  Your swimming and biking is fine, I will be there for you on the run!

Julie, good luck on your race.  I will call you when I am done.  Your cell is now programmed into mine...

Gregg,  our prayers are with you.  I know how frustrating this must be for you and Steph.  You are a brave man and we are all here for you.

Off to pack as I leave for CA in the AM.  Mr. Southwest Air is taking me to San Jose and then I am driving to Aptos for the evening.  Thanks for all the encouragement.  I do much of this alone and you are a fine family!! I appreciate what Pam says... I talk with and about you guys more than the Knowles family... And, you guys are worth it!

Be well all... Emerson

2008-04-25 2:19 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Hey guys,

Just checking in. I've been reading the posts but decided it best for me not to post this week. Thank you for the kind words! Too much crap going on this week - I don't want to bring everyone down. This too shall pass.

Julie, will be thinking about you this weekend as you rock at your triathlon.

Emerson, you've got a mary if I remember right. I smell a PR.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Reading the upbeat stuff has been my lifeline this week. Thanks to all!!!

Greg 

2008-04-25 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1362348

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
mman - 2008-04-25 12:19 PM

Hey guys,

Just checking in. I've been reading the posts but decided it best for me not to post this week. Thank you for the kind words! Too much crap going on this week - I don't want to bring everyone down. This too shall pass.

Julie, will be thinking about you this weekend as you rock at your triathlon.

Emerson, you've got a mary if I remember right. I smell a PR.

Hope everyone else is doing well. Reading the upbeat stuff has been my lifeline this week. Thanks to all!!!

Greg 

talk brother...that is why we are here! It is better to talk about it then hold it in and then have it all crash down on and around you! so, we are here for you!....you will not bring us down! I know that I would not have made it thru a lot of my episodes with my brother and his loss and my dad and his health without the kind words and encouragement that I have received from all of you! Greg do you still have my phone number! I do not have yours and would like it! I really want us to chat on a regular basis! and as much as I tell you to be strong...I do not mean for you to try and take this all on by yourself! we all love you like a brother and want to be there for you in this great time of need! tell Steph that we love her and that not a day goes by that I do not say many MANY prayers for her! she is constantly in my thoughts....as are you! take care...and PLEASE DO NOT HOLD BACK! we are here for you!!! I may not know the right things to say but I am a very good listener and hope that I can bring a little comfort to you!!

2008-04-25 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Well we are here at Louisville and the hoopla has started...racing is in the air, they are blocking off the streets, the pasta dinner is in full swing, and they are selling running wear like crazy.

Ok, Julie I'm on my laptop so I will check your blog later tomorrow hopefully you will have some time to put in your race overview. Have fun, I'm so excited for you.

Emerson - I'm glad you running the full marry tomorrow and I'm running the mini....Good-luck!

Greg- My heart goes out to you and Stef and the kids, "No" person should have to suffer that way, hopefully it will give you just a tad bit of comfort to no we are all thinking of you and praying for strength for Stef and you... I'm sorry you bear this heavy weight of so many challenges and obsticles at your young age...this group is not by chance, it is by design to let each one of us share our load and maybe get some comfort. We are here if you need us.

My husband pulled up some headlines on our laptop and one of them was triathlet gets attacked by shark in San Diego Co....Julie do you have any information on this????

Well that's all for tonight, it is time to enjoy time with my husband, a great guy!

I will check in tomorrow after my race.

Amy in Louisville, KY
2008-04-26 12:57 PM
in reply to: #1362964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

IMPORTANT MESSAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I justed talked to Julie and she was AWESOME in her race.  Kicked Butt, Rocked, took no prisoners and was fantastic!  I will leave it to her to share her place and details but keep checking back...  She owned her race...  She is our hero of the day!!!!

JULIE YOU ROCK, ROCK and then ROCK some more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Emerson

2008-04-26 1:01 PM
in reply to: #1362964

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

amy mutz - 2008-04-25 5:42 PM  My husband pulled up some headlines on our laptop and one of them was triathlet gets attacked by shark in San Diego Co....Julie do you have any information on this???? 

Amy in Louisville, KY

Amy, sadly the fellow died.  Two other swimmers swam out and pulled him in -- during the attack -- as a brave and selfless act but he died on the beach.  I am in Aptos, just south of Santa Cruz at the moment and it is front page news.  EK

2008-04-26 2:01 PM
in reply to: #1363505

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
etknowles - 2008-04-26 1:01 PM

amy mutz - 2008-04-25 5:42 PM My husband pulled up some headlines on our laptop and one of them was triathlet gets attacked by shark in San Diego Co....Julie do you have any information on this????

Amy in Louisville, KY

Amy, sadly the fellow died. Two other swimmers swam out and pulled him in -- during the attack -- as a brave and selfless act but he died on the beach. I am in Aptos, just south of Santa Cruz at the moment and it is front page news. EK

You can also find info online. Summary is that he was a 66 (?) yr old retired veternarian. Swimming with his tri club in a place they routinely swim when a large shark attacked him. They said the bite marks appear to be a great white from 12-17' long -- they marks were 22" across and went from his thighs to his calves on both legs. Very tragic and sad. 

2008-04-26 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1363565

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
mman - 2008-04-26 2:01 PM
etknowles - 2008-04-26 1:01 PM

amy mutz - 2008-04-25 5:42 PM My husband pulled up some headlines on our laptop and one of them was triathlet gets attacked by shark in San Diego Co....Julie do you have any information on this????

Amy in Louisville, KY

Amy, sadly the fellow died. Two other swimmers swam out and pulled him in -- during the attack -- as a brave and selfless act but he died on the beach. I am in Aptos, just south of Santa Cruz at the moment and it is front page news. EK

You can also find info online. Summary is that he was a 66 (?) yr old retired veternarian. Swimming with his tri club in a place they routinely swim when a large shark attacked him. They said the bite marks appear to be a great white from 12-17' long -- they marks were 22" across and went from his thighs to his calves on both legs. Very tragic and sad.

That is really sad and a little scary especially for all our friends that swim in the ocean.  I know it doesn't happen much but still.  Makes me glad I am swimming inside today. 

2008-04-26 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1363503

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
etknowles - 2008-04-26 12:57 PM

I justed talked to Julie and she was AWESOME in her race. Kicked Butt, Rocked, took no prisoners and was fantastic! I will leave it to her to share her place and details but keep checking back... She owned her race... She is our hero of the day!!!!

Emerson

Julie!!!!  Congrats!!!!!!!  We want the dish!! 

2008-04-26 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1363625

User image

Champion
Taser-World
crea0029 - 2008-04-26 4:14 PM

I justed talked to Julie and she was AWESOME in her race. Kicked Butt, Rocked, took no prisoners and was fantastic! I will leave it to her to share her place and details but keep checking back... She owned her race... She is our hero of the day!!!!

Emerson

Julie!!!! Congrats!!!!!!! We want the dish!!

CONGRATULATIONS, JULIE!!!!!

2008-04-27 12:04 AM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hello my friends!  Tomorrow is the big day... day 2 of the masters swim meet.  I survived day one actually doing pretty well.  But tomorrow well tomorrow I have to swim a 1650 yd, straight....with flip turns.  I have done the 1650 before... but not after a full day of swimming the day before and not with flip turns.  I am nervous.  I want to do well.  Wish me luck and I hope everyone else's races are going well this weekend!!!
2008-04-27 3:04 PM
in reply to: #1364177

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Good Luck Pam!!! This is our weekend!  I think Amy of IN has a run today, Julie kicked butt yesterday and I just PR'd the Big Sur with a 4:18....  Look out, Eric's team is coming through!!!! 

More to come later, off to lunch -- I am hungry after the run...

2008-04-27 4:11 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Wow--you guys are kicking butt this weekend. 

Emerson-great job on the pr. We'll be looking forward to the race report

Julie--we've heard you did awesome---now we want to hear all about it

Pam--hope your race went well. I'm sure you did great.

I'm T minus 6 days to my first HIM and I'm getting nervous.  I think my training has been pretty good although I could have done more long bike rides, but the nutrition is my big concern.  I'm just hoping I can get thru the day strong.

**I was following the breaking news on Fri about the shark attack.  We all get complacent sometimes in our routines and forget about the inherent risks involved in this sport until something like that smacks us in the face.  Thoughts and prayers to his family as well as the Tri Club of San Diego.  I can't imagine how the other swimmers from his Friday training group are feeling like right now.

2008-04-27 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1363505

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
etknowles - 2008-04-26 11:01 AM

amy mutz - 2008-04-25 5:42 PM  My husband pulled up some headlines on our laptop and one of them was triathlet gets attacked by shark in San Diego Co....Julie do you have any information on this???? 

Amy in Louisville, KY

Amy, sadly the fellow died.  Two other swimmers swam out and pulled him in -- during the attack -- as a brave and selfless act but he died on the beach.  I am in Aptos, just south of Santa Cruz at the moment and it is front page news.  EK

His name was Dave Martin, he was 66 and a retired firefighter. He lived with two of his grown kids and the entire family showed up to the beach when this happened. He was in a tri-group who were out swimming. He was trailing the group and the two swimmers in front heard him yell SHARK ATTACK! and they immediatly swam back to him and pulled him to shore! This is where many people swim from and although there has not been a shark attack there in 50 years, they say that the sharks head to Southern California this time of year to have their pups/babies and that he probably thought it was a sealion or seal and as soon as he realized it wasn't he retreated! poor guy! what a shame! I did not know of him, but there are many on the BT site that knew him and said he was a remarkable man...very mellow...yet the first to greet a newcomer to the OWS or to triathlons...what a travesty!!!

2008-04-27 4:19 PM
in reply to: #1363503

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
etknowles - 2008-04-26 10:57 AM

I justed talked to Julie and she was AWESOME in her race.  Kicked Butt, Rocked, took no prisoners and was fantastic!  I will leave it to her to share her place and details but keep checking back...  She owned her race...  She is our hero of the day!!!!

Emerson

Still waiting on OFFICIAL results to be posted...but let me just say that I had a blast...felt really strong in all areas but the darn pool...but that will change as I am going to be spending much more time there!

NOW FOR ANOTHER IMPORTANT MESSAGE!!!!

EMERSON ROCKED HIS MARATHON! we all knew he would...but he had a personal best time, and this was one of the hilliest courses he has ran! all those runs in the Arizona desert hills have paid off! CONGRATS EMERSON!! you go boy! see you tomorrow for breakfast or lunch!! woo hoo!

2008-04-27 4:21 PM
in reply to: #1363625

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
crea0029 - 2008-04-26 1:14 PM

Emerson

Julie!!!!  Congrats!!!!!!!  We want the dish!! 

Thanks Pam...you guys will be the first to know...as soon as I do...I know I finished strong and had a great race! my personal best....since it was my first! will be back with all the details hopefully by tomorrow! still waiting on those slackers to post them! hehe! you would think they are tired from putting on a race or something!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73