BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-04-29 5:56 AM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Eastern PA
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed
I will really be set adrift if this mentor group closes.

I hope there is a plan to continue.

I want to hear how everyone's season goes!!!!

Leticia

2008-04-29 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

I'm here!

I guess we should just keep this thread going. I saw that there are some groups from last year that are still active but are in the archives.  I don't think they will make us go underground!

I did find another mentor group.  (don't be sad, I'm not giving up on this one!) I just felt like I still needed to have some more coaching type support from an experienced mentor. He's already helped with my swim.

I've been getting some help with my bike. One of the guys I work with is an experienced cyclist and is incredibly helpful.  I went with him last week and had a good ride. We went today and had one of the best rides I've had. He had me going up a long hill at 13 mph. I haven't known much about cadence and I don't know enough to explain it but I just matched what he was doing and It really helped. The 19 mile ride today was at 18mph! Fast!

I'm tired! 

Les 

2008-04-29 9:34 PM

User image

Veteran

Well share the info, Les!!!  God knows I can use every bit of swimming advice I can get. 

2008-04-29 10:23 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

Of Course! (duh) Here are the best parts but feel free to lurk the group is: lrobb's group I've quoted Lee here:

Six-Time Ironman Champion Dave Scott demonstrates several techniques to help ensure you're getting the most from your swim strokes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYt8x_7uL48&NR=1

http://www.totalimmersion.net/2005articles/february/breathing.html

his is how a certain coach that has trained Olympic gold medalists and professional triathletes teaches age groupers how to swim: Get a big fat pull buoy, get some really small handle paddles, and start swimming 25s & 50s with a lot of rest in between. The pull buoy is going to set your body in the right position, and the paddles are going to help you get a feel for setting up a proper catch - get one just the size of your palm though, you don't want to fry your shoulders. Only use the finger straps too - you want them to fall off if you start dropping your elbow, etc.. Get some big fins and do the same, then try a few w/o the equipment.

Ideally you could find someone to watch you though - I've been doing some drills for several years, thinking I was doing them correctly, but recently had a masters coach point out little, tiny things that made a huge difference.

How I'd approach teaching my wife how to swim - she can do a few laps with her head out of the water.

step 1 -- get used to having your head in the water
tools -- big fins, arms out overhead. kick a length with your face in the water, raise your head to breathe as necessary. do this until it feels natural.

step 2 -- get used to breathing on our side
tools -- same as above, except this time instead of lifting our head, we're going to drop an arm and turn our head to the side to breath. do this until it feels natural.

step 3 -- rolling to breath
tools -- same as step 2, except this time we're going to concentrate on keeping one goggle in the water when we turn to breath, ear to shoulder, and trying to keep our hips in line with our head. rolling to breath instead of turning the head.

step 4 -- developing a catch
tools -- pull buoy & paddle. really simple, just use the techniques above, but this time concentrate on getting the paddle vertical in the water and pulling back.

step 5 -- putting it all together. using those techniques in the Dave Scott video above.
tools -- short efforts of 25/50 yds/meters, concentrating on perfect form. Adequate rest on the wall : although we'll get some aerobic conditioning, the purpose is to ingrain proper form.

Just some general ideas. Hard to give specific advice w/o knowing where you're coming from and seeing your current stroke.

Pretty good!

Les 

2008-04-30 11:01 AM
in reply to: #1371211

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Thanks for that, Lesley. FYI - I saw where a few of us have joined another group, too. Can one really have too many mentors?? :-) I'll be happy to share any info I get there as well. or check it out yourself. It's jsnowash group. I wonder if April mentor groups will then evaporate in July? May just be how this mentor group thing works, I figure.

Hope you're all doing well in your training. I'm a little low emotionally and physically, too. After doing a tri on 4/20, which I was so pumped up for and then the 1/2 mary last week. I think I may have issues getting up for Sunday's super-sprint. It's really short distances and my initial thought was to use it as a training day more than anything. I haven't been on my bike in a week or more. Maybe this is normal. It really takes a combined effort of mental, physical and even spiritual fortitude. I think I may have gotten a little dehydrated after the 1/2 despite all my efforts to hydrate a lot before and after. I was actually a bit dizzy on Monday (more so than normal LOL). Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a bit. I appreciate ALL of you. You are very inspiring and supportive and truly the best BTers!

Lynn 

2008-04-30 11:31 AM
in reply to: #1372320

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
lmscozz - 2008-04-30 11:01 AM

Thanks for that, Lesley. FYI - I saw where a few of us have joined another group, too. Can one really have too many mentors?? :-) I'll be happy to share any info I get there as well. or check it out yourself. It's jsnowash group. I wonder if April mentor groups will then evaporate in July? May just be how this mentor group thing works, I figure.

Hope you're all doing well in your training. I'm a little low emotionally and physically, too. After doing a tri on 4/20, which I was so pumped up for and then the 1/2 mary last week. I think I may have issues getting up for Sunday's super-sprint. It's really short distances and my initial thought was to use it as a training day more than anything. I haven't been on my bike in a week or more. Maybe this is normal. It really takes a combined effort of mental, physical and even spiritual fortitude. I think I may have gotten a little dehydrated after the 1/2 despite all my efforts to hydrate a lot before and after. I was actually a bit dizzy on Monday (more so than normal LOL). Anyway, thanks for letting me vent a bit. I appreciate ALL of you. You are very inspiring and supportive and truly the best BTers!

Lynn

You have been going at it pretty hard. I rested a lot the week before my sprint, and hadn't done much the week before! See how you feel Saturday.  Don't squeeze all of the fun out of it by pushing yourself to where it is a chore.  We'll still think you are super cool if you decide to take care of your body if you need to.

Les 

2008-04-30 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1372406

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Well, as long as I'm still cool. ;-) LOL  I'm feeling more energized today. Planning a bike/run brick tomorrow after work. I think I just needed some down time emotionally. You are really kicking it on the bike, Les. Thanks for the advice on enjoying it -- that really is the point after all. Hope all is well with everyone else.

2008-05-01 8:20 AM

User image

Veteran

Thanks for the swim info, Les!! 

2008-05-01 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio

What's Up everybody? Who is racing, who is doing something interesting? How is your training going?

I'll see you guys (online) after our beach trip.

GOOOO LYNNNN!!! 

Edited by denny.l 2008-05-01 9:11 PM
2008-05-05 10:02 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Very happy with my first 5k.. my husband and I got 4th place in the open group team, 1min 30sec shy of an award. But the best part is I bet my goal of 30 minutes by 15 seconds :-). Final time 29m45s. The race atmosphere that Disney puts on was amazing. The music they had going throughout the park really made me keep moving and all the people the dj, just awesome. I can't wait for the danskin next weekend!
2008-05-05 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1381936

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Great job, Heather. I was thinking about you and the Danskin next weekend. I'll look forward to the full report. Elizabeth and I are doing the Danskin in DisneyLAND in June.

Glad you met your goal of under 30!! 

~Lynn 

2008-05-05 11:37 PM

Albuquerque, NM
Hey everyone.... Glad to be checking in. I am hoping to stay in touch with this group too, even tho' I've also found a new group as well. Maybe one day I will actually get my picture posted and you will see I am real. I did a 5K on Sunday. It was a fun day. My time wasn't as good as I was hoping...but I realize it was a very crowded race, which affected my start. I ran as hard as I could once I got going, and it was difficult to push myself so hard. Wow! good mental/emotional/physical challenge in prep for my first tri in JUne (Danskin-Austin).

Hoping to practice OWS in the wetsuit sometime soon.

keep up the good work everyone.

Julia
2008-05-06 10:44 AM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio

Hey, guys.  Sorry so long since touching base with everyone.

Until I get my bike fixed and it's warm enough for me to get in the lake or my sister-in-law's pool, I've been doing nothing but running.  But, hey, at least I'm running - and running with no knee pain.  Praise the Lord!

With this in mind, I've been feeling like a loser/phoney and just haven't been to the site in a couple weeks.  You guys are totally rockin' it and I didn't want to share how I've been feeling because I hate being a Debbie Downer.

My first tri is June 29 and while my running's improving, I haven't been on a bike in months (I just need to simply get the tube replaced) and I haven't been in a pool since December.  I'm one of those people who doesn't work better under pressure - I just actually begin to work under pressure.  Now that I'm feeling the race date, I'll add the other 2 events - albeit starting late, obviously.

Thanks for listening.

Sigh...I feel better already.

2008-05-09 8:39 AM
in reply to: #1384653

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Just wanted to wish everyone who's racing this weekend-- GOOD LUCK!

I know Heather is -- in Disneyworld!! GO HEATHER...Looking forward to a full report.

Have a great time.

~Lynn 

2008-05-10 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Race tomorrow! Sitting in the hotel thinking and making sure I have everything...I think I do. Trying to set my heart rate monitor, probably shouldn't have reset it the night before a race. Anyways, full report after the race! 3:00am will come quickly!
2008-05-14 7:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
race was great!...if anyone still checks this group

2008-05-14 8:30 PM
in reply to: #1403282

User image

Veteran

gator416 - 2008-05-14 7:46 PM race was great!...if anyone still checks this group

Oh comeon...we've been together for long enough we deserve more details than that....tell us about it!!!!!  I'm still around anyways!!!

2008-05-14 10:31 PM
in reply to: #1403282

User image

Master
Vista, CA

gator416 - 2008-05-14 5:46 PM race was great!...if anyone still checks this group

Details, Heather. How was Disney? What was the swim like? Was it in the lagoon? How much of your run/bike was in the park? You are now a triathlete!!! Congratulations.

Lynn

And, when someone posts on this thread, I get an email notification. So keep posting peeps.

2008-05-14 11:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Congrats...now we want details. Curious about Disney, Danskin, etc. I heard the Danskin races are really crowded... did it seem that way? Of course because I am slow I also would like to know if they started the swim in waves? I was spoiled with my tri for the cure as they had so many waves I never felt slow or behind. Now I am petrified I will be holding up the volunteers who need to take down the finish line.

BTW... our leader has been gone for a while (not even a goodbye, good luck, nada) ...but most of us are still here.

Elizabeth
2008-05-15 11:06 AM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Yay! You guys are still here. I posted a race report about the race with all the details. I had so much fun and I am addicted now! We started in waves and I was in the 7th wave. There were about 2 minutes between each wave and it was so crowded! I couldn't even lenghten my body enough to use all the good swimming form I had practiced without hitting poeple in front, behind, or beside me until I got out to the buoy and turned around. But it was atill amazing swimming in bay lake, so many memories growing up and going to Disney and riding the ferry or the little boats in there. The bike was good once I got going and training on hills really made the flat roads a breeze. The run was probably the best part. Since we were in waves by the time we got to the run it wasn't that crowded (or maybe it was because I was in the back of my group :-) ), but anyways it felt like I was all alone in Magic Kingdom at some points, just running, rides going, all the sounds of the park without the people, so cool! And then running through the castle and finishing running down mainstreet was incredible! I started to cry (don't tell anyone) when I ran under the train station and realized I had almost done it! The finish was awesome and so emotional! I held the tears in, but I was shaking and I was so happy! I couldn't believe I did it. Now my hubby and I are training for an olympic distance back at disney in september. After he saw me do it he wanted to experience it as well. So, it was a sucess! 4 months of training and whining paid off! Good luck to ya'll, especially the other danskiners, you will have a blast!! There were all types of women there and it was so laid back, non competitive, help each other out. Sally Edwards, the women with danskin, is a great speaker and really motivational. Anyways, back to work, keep working hard everyone!
2008-05-15 11:33 AM

User image

Veteran

Congratulations Heather!  You had a reason to be emotion...very awesome accomplishment...and sounds like a cool place to experience it at as well.  So what's next?

I have the GearWest Duathlon this weekend (5k/28k/4k) ... was kind of looking forward to no swimming but now that I have trained for this I realize at least with triathlon i could rest my legs somewhat for the first part. 

2008-05-17 4:17 PM

User image

Denver,CO
Well I did my first Tri this morning. It was a mini tri for first time triathletes. Pretty cool so we wouldn't be nervous for our big tri's. I am now a Triathlete.

Congrates all you guys out there racing.

Laura
2008-05-17 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran

Congratulations Laura!!!! That is awesome!

2008-05-17 5:49 PM
in reply to: #1408644

User image

Master
Vista, CA

shanaspree - 2008-05-17 2:17 PM Well I did my first Tri this morning. It was a mini tri for first time triathletes. Pretty cool so we wouldn't be nervous for our big tri's. I am now a Triathlete. Congrates all you guys out there racing. Laura

Way to go Laura! So glad you posted on this forum. We all need to keep tabs on each other as the season progresses. You're a triathlete, pretty cool!

~Lynn 

2008-05-18 8:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Congratulations Laura! What's next?? :-)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52