BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-07-31 5:22 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Originally posted by glfprncs Anybody other than me really dislike recovery weeks? My BT HIM training plan has a recovery week every 4th week. I have a really hard time motivating myself to do the short 30 minute workouts, but if it said 90 minute run, I'd be all over it. Also...another thought. When I trained for half and full marathons, I always trained by miles, not time. My HIM training plan uses time, which, if you're a relatively slow runner, swimmer or cyclist, could be a disadvantage. A 60 minute run for me is right around 6 miles, whereas someone who runs 7 or 8 minute miles clearly will run farther than me in training (or ride farther in the 2 hour or 2.5 hour rides). I hope this won't bite me in the butt on race day. I'd really like to have some gas in the tank at mile 10 of the run.

I used to loathe recovery weeks, but now I really embrace them.  Mine drop the volume, but usually have a testing component to them (LT test on the bike or a 30' track test) to keep me motivated.  I also find the rest really helps me both mentally and physically.

I have raced by time for the bike and the run ever since I started doing triathlon. Swimming is still by distance.

2013-07-31 7:46 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Melissa and Stuart, great to have you back. Stuart, I am glad to hear you are making slow but steady progress. It is huge to be back swimming, biking and running (crutching ) Melissa, tri trainig during residency will be an exercise in time management but the physical activity will help to maintain your sanity.

Nancy, I am not sure what to tell you about training by time versus distance.

Like Suzy, all of my pool time is by distance.

Cycling is by time. The rides keep getting longer and longer until I am in the saddle on training rides for close to my projected IM cycle time. Usually that puts me pretty close to 112 miles so I feel some confindence that it wouldn't make much difference if I switched to training by distance on the bike.

My running is a hybrid. I will never run as long in training as my projected IM run time but I will run up to 2.5 hours at goal IM pace. My coach also puts a lot of shorter (distance based) intervals in during my runs. A long run might be something like this: 1:45 running. Warm up for 15 minutes. Goal pace 7:10-30/mile. Within the run do 6 x 1 mile repeats at 6:45/mile on choice rest (rest is at the 7:10-30 pace. So a little bit of distance and a little bit of time.

I would probably be a little bit nervous if my pace were leaving me well shy of race distances....... But, these plans are put together by smart folks who have trained a lot of people to go the distance. I would repeat what I often say, trust the plan.
2013-07-31 8:12 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Stuart/Melissa-great to have you checking in. Sounds like lots of hard work ahead for you both!

Nothing too exciting here. Starting to put together a mental list of what I will take with me to Milwaukee when I leave next week. Plan is to race olympic on Saturday and sprint on Sunday so that will mean extra race clothes...fortunately I have 2 team kits so all should be good. Should be a wetsuit swim (WooHoo!) and much nicer temps.

Swim and run on tap for today.

2013-07-31 9:08 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Master
South Alabama

I always assume that there are better ways to do things than the way I do it so here is a question for the group.

How do you organize you race gear/stuff between races? Not really worried about the clothes but more of the gear....always seems there is so much stuff we "might" need as compared to what we really need. I'm trying to get better about not taking the whole garage with me but still overpack. Here is my "system."

I will use several gallon zip locks to break up the various race gear.

#1 Swim related-goggles and at least one spare, ear plugs, Foggle (anti fog wipe), extra neoprene ankle strap in case the one provided with the timing chip is falling apart.

#2 Body related-Aquaphor tube, Body Glide and sunscreen  

#3 Electronics-Garmin for bike and Garmin watch...will usually put my race belt in this bag since there is lots of extra room, smaller plastic bag to put keys,license and phone in.

#4 Food-gel for pre race and a spare and package of penut butter crackers in case stomach starts rumbling before the race.

#5 Tool/fix it bag-rarely use this but more for piece of mind. roll of electrical tape, couple of zip ties, small mulit-tool

Transition bag-bike shoes, towel for transition mat,  an extra small towel, sunglasses in their case, wetsuit and/or swimskin, bottle/bottles with mix in them (I'll add water when I get to the race site)  and a pair of socks (just in case).

Will usually wear my visor, running shoes and race kit. I try to pre-pack my bento box thing that goes on the top tube and have it on the bike to avoid having to do it at the race. Same with my race belt for longer races.

I always take a "bike repair kit" with me but don't take it to transition. I'll keep it in the car so its there in case of an emercency. In there I will have 2-3 spare tubes with valve sizes to fit race wheels, spare valve extender, tire levers, 3 pronged hex tool, duct tape....and some other small stuff I can't recall. I keep all of this in a small, plastic clear Rubbermaid container with a locking lid. I keep it stocked and just grab it when I go to races. I'll pump the tires to correct pressure before leaving the car.

So, like I said its alot of stuff. What I like about the big ziplock bags is after the race, once everything has been cleaned up I can just put most of the bags away with the stuff in them and they arre essentially ready for the next race. Of course, I'm pretty OCD so I may check everything 1,2......6 times before I leave but I feel more prepared. Really when I get to transition it is not that much stuff and the good thing is if I'm not using something it just stays in its bag.

Open to suggestions....

2013-07-31 10:00 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

I always assume that there are better ways to do things than the way I do it so here is a question for the group.

How do you organize you race gear/stuff between races? Not really worried about the clothes but more of the gear....always seems there is so much stuff we "might" need as compared to what we really need. I'm trying to get better about not taking the whole garage with me but still overpack.

We are an organized bunch, aren't we?! I actually have a spreadsheet with everything I could possibly need and I pack using it. I have pretty much everything you have - including the tools to leave in the car! I do not, however, wear my sneakers to the event. I wear my crocs or flip flops - something I can walk around in before the event while my stuff is neatly laid out waiting.

We have utility room in the basement that gets pretty warm because our furnace is in it. There's a table in it so when I get home I pretty much dump my bag out on the table, wipe off dirt, spray febreze and let it dry - generally by the next day. And then I pack it back up.

Happy HUMPDAY! Have you seen that commercial? cracks me up! In case you haven't http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWBhP0EQ1lA

Had a great sprint tri last night. Took 2 minutes off my bike time and 2 minutes off my run time! (Of course, so did everyone else which I'm attributing to the perfect weather conditions LOL). No matter. I feel great about it 2 more of these weeklies to go - it's tough doing those after a full day of work!

Get back to work, slackers. LATER.

edited to add: if anyone wants my list, let me know and I'll email it to ya

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-31 10:02 AM
2013-07-31 10:12 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama
Randee-nice job on the race!  What's a spreadsheet??  

2013-07-31 10:48 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

Randee-nice job on the race!  What's a spreadsheet??  

it's something us accountants use for everything including daily life. you know, rows, columns, data......l organize data, sort data.....obsess over data.....

HEH

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-07-31 10:49 AM
2013-07-31 12:46 PM

User image

Champion

Over the years, I've streamlined what I take to races because I found I didn't use much of it and it was a pain to have to unpack when I got home. For example, I use to take a tub to fill with H20 to rinse my feet after the swim....silly!

I use plastic grocery bags and make one for SWIM, BIKE AND RUN.  Everything I use for swimming is in that one bag (two pair of goggles, ear plugs, bodyglide, second swim cap to go under the one the race gives you, throw away flip flops if there is a long walk to the swims tart).  Wetsuit is kept in a separate compartment of my transition bag. Bike is pretty limited-shoes, helmet and my Garmin 510 (still working on carrying that tubular tire). Run really limited- race belt, Powerbar blasts in a snack baggy and my Garmin 310XT.  This assumes I wear my race kit, sunglasses and running shoes to the event.  I also have a cooler that I keep in the car that has my H20 and Infinit pre-mixed.  Lastly a small towel.  I don't carry tools because I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them.  I do have a change of clothes in the car so I can switch out of my sweaty duds for the drive home.

The camel commercial is my husband and my favorite.  In fact, my husband played the camel this morning since it was Wednesday!

2013-07-31 7:21 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

July is in the books:

Swim:  38,216 yards           12hours 2min

Bike:    402.46 miles           18hours 40min 

Run:     101.75 miles            13hours 55min

2013-08-01 6:12 AM

User image

Champion

July is done!  IM build is a little different this year, intensity is up and volume is down.  No wonder I'm tired.

Swim: 15h 40m 21s 

Bike: 41h 20m 21s - 748.3 Mi

Run: 18h 44m 15s - 126.59 Mi

2013-08-01 8:27 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Here are my numbers for the month of July:

Swim: 11h 54m 37s - 31248.16 M
Bike: 28h 02m 36s - 450.85 Mi
Run: 27h 59m 31s - 182.8 Mi

I'm really happy with where my training has gotten me, and I'm still really happy to say that since Jan. 1, I haven't missed a day of scheduled training, except for one long bike day I skipped for a Sprint race. I also have to step back and just appreciate those numbers; a year ago, I would have doubted if it were physically possible to train at this level. If I can finish this week out, which is going to end with a pretty brutal weekend, it's onto taper time!

2013-08-01 8:31 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
As far as gear management goes, I have a pretty basic/unorganized system. On a race morning, I put everything I will need for the race in a small tote bag, and then everything else goes into a larger bag that I use for all my training. That is my go-to bag for everything tri-related, really. I have a Ziploc with all my nutrition in it, and then I just use little tricks, like putting my sunglasses into my bike shoes so I'll remember them. I'm open to a better system!
2013-08-01 11:15 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jamie. Nice running last month. You killed it on the mileage.

My training for July:

Swim 13:36 43,720 yards

Bike 25:21 573.5 miles

Run 9:25 77.62 miles The streak is broken! August will have to start a new one......

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-08-01 11:16 AM
2013-08-02 7:46 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning-up early to get my swim out of the way. Heading to the beach for the weekend this afternoon. Maybe the rain we have had all Summer will take a break

Who is racing this weekend? I know Jason is headed to Boulder for the 70.3 there on Sunday. Looking forward to seeing him have a fast race there. Anyone else? 

2013-08-02 1:07 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
MORNING ALL!!

7 mile run with DH today. My longest, um maybe ever?! YAY!

Sprint tri on Sunday. Not sure I would call it a race for me. More like a race to finish so we can get to breakfast!

Have a good weekend all!
2013-08-02 3:21 PM

User image

My first Oly this sunday Don't think I've trained enough but oh well, let's see how it goes

2013-08-02 4:20 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Champion

Good luck to our three racers!!!!  Stay tough to the finish!  

I'm at our lake house solo and so far the weather has been AWESOME!  Big double brick training day for me tomorrow.

2013-08-02 6:34 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
July's totals

Swim: 7h 32m - 22725 Yd
Bike: 10h 17m 07s - 186.91 Mi
Run: 7h 45m 07s - 52.03 Mi

Seems like I didn't train enough but we will found out Sunday I have a sprint, probably a small one but I'm looking forward to it.
2013-08-02 9:36 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Good luck to everyone racing this weekend; I hope the weather's great!
2013-08-03 8:55 AM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
July's totals...for some reason I thought my volume was higher than that. Things get a little serious this month.

Swim: 5h 04m 36s - 12366.17 Yd
Bike: 19h 12m 16s - 296.2 Mi
Run: 10h 23m 05s - 60.58 Mi
2013-08-03 9:24 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
last minute food question:

tomorrow's event is 1.5 hours from home. we have to leave at 5 and my wave doesn't go off until 8:40. I like to eat about 2 hours before kickoff. What can I throw in the car to eat - other than a prepackaged bar or something. Like real food. Or what do you guys do for breakfast on game day?

THANKS!

2013-08-03 9:40 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Prepackaged peanut butter crackers are my go to race day snack. Easy on the stomach with some protein and carbs. Good luck racers!!!
2013-08-03 1:40 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

tomorrow's event is 1.5 hours from home. we have to leave at 5 and my wave doesn't go off until 8:40. I like to eat about 2 hours before kickoff. What can I throw in the car to eat - other than a prepackaged bar or something. Like real food. Or what do you guys do for breakfast on game day?

THANKS!

I eat the exact same breakfast, regardless of what day it is. 1/4 cup (dry measure) of organic cream of rice cereal, made with 3/4 cup almond/coconut milk (unsweetened and unflavored). Once cooked, add a handful of blueberries and some toasted walnuts.

Might be kind of tough to put that together in the car, though.
2013-08-03 1:57 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

THANKS!

I eat the exact same breakfast, regardless of what day it is. 1/4 cup (dry measure) of organic cream of rice cereal, made with 3/4 cup almond/coconut milk (unsweetened and unflavored). Once cooked, add a handful of blueberries and some toasted walnuts.

Might be kind of tough to put that together in the car, though.

Actually I started thinking about it. I might put some irish oats in the crock pot before I go to bed and in the am throw some in a container with blueberries. It'll probably stay warm enough if I seal it an hour later to eat in the car.

thanks!
2013-08-03 2:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow!

I'm in maintenance mode at the moment, except for my cycling. It's quite weird, but I'm enjoying having a lot more flexibility in my training. I feel like I'm getting better on the hills already, although it's probably just that I'm doing shorter rides, which lets me push harder. Hopefully the improvements will continue.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88