BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-05-18 8:40 PM
in reply to: #1108061

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

I thought the duathlon would be "easier" without the swim leg at the beginning.  I was sure wrong there...this thing was 3x harder for me than the mini sprint i did.  The two runs ended up without about half being trail run...through the trees...through the mud...up and down from the lake.  I knew after the first run that I was in trouble as I haven't done much hill work and I was fried getting on the bike.  That too was way hillier then I've ever trained on.  Whole different caliber of athletes at that...I ended up 292 out of 500...I guess the positive is that I finished...I didn't walk...and I didn't throw up....both of which I strongly considered at various times.

2008-05-18 9:29 PM

User image

Denver,CO
I am working (volunteering) my first sprint tri next month. June is a big dog show month so I don't think I will be able to practice much. Out of town for a few of them. The running will get done. I should get 1 day a week of swimming. we will see.
So July I will hit the training hard.

My big race this year is the Tri for the cure in Aug in Denver. I will have 2 rehersals before that for sprint tri's. So I should be ready.

Then a sprint in Sept. so I should finish the season doing good.

Congrates Aber you finished. When someone asked me how it was my response was I finished it so I am happy.

Laura
2008-05-23 6:14 AM

User image

Eastern PA
Hey! I miss you guys!!!!! My first tri is tomorrow and I hope I do OK!!!
Have a sore right knee and a left hamstring that's bothering a bit... took it easy this week so ready or not, here I come!

Will post afterwards!
thanks to everyone here for your support over the months!
Leticia
2008-05-23 8:12 AM

User image

Veteran

Good luck tomorrow!  You will probably forget all about those problems with the adrenaline of the race.  Have fun!

2008-05-23 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1420798

User image

Master
Vista, CA

teash - 2008-05-23 4:14 AM Hey! I miss you guys!!!!! My first tri is tomorrow and I hope I do OK!!! Have a sore right knee and a left hamstring that's bothering a bit... took it easy this week so ready or not, here I come! Will post afterwards! thanks to everyone here for your support over the months! Leticia

Go Leticia!! I'm excited for you. You'll do great. ice for the knee? Take good care and let us know how it went.

-- Alan -- That bike run thing sounds brutal. Yikes. What's up next for you. I miss our TriOK group. ;-

2008-05-23 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran

I was supposed to be in a tri on 6/1 which was to be my first OWS.  Bought a wetsuit last weekend...went down to the lake to try it out last night....wind was blowing 20mph and the water temp was 56....no thanks....so unless something major changes in the next day or two i'm going to pull out of that.  After that I have a 1/2 marathon on 6/8 in the Black Hills which I understand is a beautiful run.

My training hasn't been as good lately... I blame it on this group falling apart...I liked hearing other peoples struggles with motivation, etc as it kept me going and picked me back up when i was a little off.

What does everyone else (that's still around) have coming up?

2008-05-25 9:04 PM

User image

Eastern PA
Well I did it! I finished my first triathlon! I wanted to post this here to let you all know about it!

I was really glad I had a wetsuit. A super nice friend of a friend lent me his wife's. I might have bailed without it, as the water was REALLY cold. I was in the 9th of 10 waves. I tried hard not to panic and kept telling myself to just swim (I did panic a couple of times and flipped on my back to kick), and I did overtake some of the swimmers from the wave ahead of me, so I figured I must be doing ok. This kept me going....

I totally was confused during the T1. I dried my feet, wet my feet, dried them again.. I have no idea what I was doing!! I had planned this out in my head beforehand but still got confused. I did run my bike to the mounting and got on really well without any mishaps.

I thought I had a good bike leg, but I am not that great on hills. I wanted under an hour and I did it. I was held up by a big truck pulling a flat bed with a helicopter on it... no kidding... how often do you see that?? My dismount was fine, although I was so wobbly! Talk about jelly legs, but I did run to transition.

My T2 was tops! Very happy with that.

I totally couldn't run! I had no legs at all. About 1/2 mile in at least 6 people from my age group passed me. I guess I was doing well until then! I think it was at least 34 minutes to complete. I am very disappointed in a way, but I did my best!

I put my hands up as I crossed the finish line with a smile on my face! That was my goal for my first tri! My husband is really proud of me!

I didn't spend much time looking at the results sheet since it was hard to get to it, so all I know is that I was 11th in my age (45-49) (which I doubt had more than 12 or 13). My time was around 1:53 and I was 123 out of 180 for the women. I hope I was reading the list correctly, it was a mob scene. I am waiting for the website to post the results to see how I did on each leg and the transition times, and make sure I got it correct.

My first reaction was "I am never doing this again" (actually this thought occured to me in the middle of the lake), but this morning I woke up planning all the ways I can improve for next time!!!

Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!!

Edited by teash 2008-05-26 12:06 PM
2008-05-25 10:05 PM
in reply to: #1424054

User image

Veteran
Awesome job Leticia!!! Way to go!!!  You have to be feeling great about your accomplishment by tonight!
2008-05-25 11:25 PM
in reply to: #1424123

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Leticia -- Way to go!! Sounds like an excellent outing and showing for a first triathlon. You ARE a triathlete now! Any pics to post? The swim is a little freaky. I"ve done two OWS and they were each very weird feeling. The jelly legs are understandable, too. How are you feeling today, physically? I had an emotional letdown after both my tris. You may not have the same experience, but just wanted to give you a heads up. :-)

Alan -- Any luck with that wetsuit? I miss this group, too. Glad we're staying in touch though.

2008-05-25 11:28 PM

User image

Veteran
The water got up into the mid 60s today so I did get to do some swimming in the wetsuit.  I love it...cures my biggest problem....my butt and legs dropping.  It was pretty windy and I can see that it is going to take some work to figure out the breathing in big waves.  I had planned on pulling out of my tri next weekend because of the little swimming I've done but now I'm considering it again.  May try to swim in the lake next 3 days and then make a decision.
2008-05-26 4:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Way to go on your first tri. I think the leg thing is normal... I am not even sure bricks help :-) Time to pick out your next race.

Congrats.

Elizabeth

2008-05-26 8:56 PM
in reply to: #1424181

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
aber4 - 2008-05-26 12:28 AM

The water got up into the mid 60s today so I did get to do some swimming in the wetsuit.  I love it...cures my biggest problem....my butt and legs dropping.  It was pretty windy and I can see that it is going to take some work to figure out the breathing in big waves.  I had planned on pulling out of my tri next weekend because of the little swimming I've done but now I'm considering it again.  May try to swim in the lake next 3 days and then make a decision.

Alan,

I would say just do it! The great thing about the wetsuit is if you get tired you just float! The more ows you can do in race situations the better! I had my first race in ow and you don't train for elbows and feet to the face. I had about a 100 yard "fight" with a guy would wanted my line!
2008-05-26 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
"Elbows and feet to the face" .... You are just full of encouragement!!!
2008-05-26 9:30 PM
in reply to: #1425078

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Sorry! lol just part of the race. You can go to the far outside or inside to avoid those issues! How has your training been going?
2008-05-26 9:43 PM

User image

Veteran

I agree with the others that have said they have an emotional downer after an event... I seem to go through that where my training is awful.  I maybe need a bigger gap between events so i can get through the low and then have 3 good weeks of training. 

2008-05-27 5:47 AM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Hi everyone,

I have been lurking since the group closed and even (yes, my confession-feel free to give me penance) joined another mentor group. I have to admit I feel a little like a prodigal daughter, coming back home. (I usually do not use that many religious references, what's up?). I hope you guys will still let me in on your discussions.

Leticia-WAY TO GO!!!! I know that you and I seemed like we were at the same starting points with our training. I am so proud of you! You are my inspiration! June 1 is my first tri.

Alan- I so totally relate to the whole wetsuit thing. I bought one last week and tried it out this weekend, doing a run-through of my first tri with a BTA group. I did not like it. The water was 62 degrees but I felt like I had lead on my arms. I just couldn't get them to move and my butt felt like it weighed a hundred pounds. Putting my face in that cold water was horrendous and I found it very difficult to breathe. I am hoping to get in the water one more time before Sunday and work some of those kinks out.

I miss all of you! I am so excited to hear your experiences. Please let me come back home.

2008-05-28 10:38 AM
in reply to: #1425305

User image

Master
Vista, CA

Welcome back! I think many of us realized how this mentor thing works and the Jan. groups ended officially in April and new ones started. Maybe the current mentor groups will "officially" end in July and new ones will start then??

Anyway -- Jogo -- Did you do a tri? How was it?

Alan, I agree, you should give this weekend a try -- or is it tri? Why not? Just see how the wetsuit works and get a training day in, IMHO.

I hope we're all able to keep tabs on each other over time. I'm still having fun. Dream about triathlons though. Anyone else dream about this stuff?

Lynn 

2008-05-28 4:42 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Thank you for welcoming me back.

My first tri is June 1. I am so excited! I can't wait! I did a run-through last weekend and survived with just a few wetsuit issues (it felt like I had lead on my arms). I'll let you know how it goes. Happy training to all! jo
2008-05-29 8:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Hey guys, just checking in.  Great job Leticia on your tri!! You are officially a triathlete! Alan, you should go for the tri this weekend! You're already all set to go, just do it for fun and experience at least. And I'm with you all on the emotional let down after the race.  The week after was so hard to get back in training. Next up for me is a 10k June 7th.  Not sure when the next sprint tri will be, but I'll do one or two before my first olympic tri sept 21. As for dreaming about tris...I do too.  Although now my dreams are haunted by poor animals in horrible conditons being raised to be slaughtered in horrible ways.  Never thought I would be one of those, poor animals people, who don't eat meat, but what can I say.  I read "Skinny B*tch" and now I just can't bare to contribute to the "growing" and slaughtering of animals. So now I dream about how I can cook without using animal products and still get anough nutrients to train.  So that's what's new with me. Good keeping up with you guys.  Good luck this weekend Alan and jo!!
2008-05-30 12:49 AM

User image

Denver,CO
Hey everyone,

Congrates on becoming a Triathlete. Doesn't it feel good?

Looking forward to reading the posts of how your tri's went this weekend.
I will be dog showing and the bike is in the shop. I guess I could still find time to do a run.
I haven't tried the open water swim yet. It is too cold for me. But my sprint tri isn't until July sometime. so I can wait a couple of weeks before I need to be in the water.

I give you guys credit for going in when it is sooo cold still.

Laura
2008-06-01 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Today, I became a triathlete!!!! Total life highlight!!

It was so awesome. There were about 10-12 BTA forum friends there and it was so nice to meet, compete, and share our successes together.

The experience totally rocked. The race was very well done and organized. I did have to throw my DH out of the transition area so that I could focus and figure out where I wanted things. I was so nervous. I was supposed to do an individual start which they offered and I changed my mind at the last minute and started with my age group. I liked that better, swimming with a group, because I could pace myself. I ended up wearing a wetsuit-water was 65. I was very comfortable with the wet suit and it seemed like the swim was over very quick. My first transition went well and no problems with taking off the wet suit. The bike was good but I relaxed and enjoyed. I didn't push too hard because I knew I still had the run. I didn't stop on the swim or the run, one of my goals was not to stop and keep going even if it was a slower pace but not stop or walk or sidestroke or backstroke. No breaks. I ended up right in the middle of my age group. I was hoping to finish in 1:30 and I finished in 1:24, WOO HOO!!! I ran to my wonderful husband who I spotted in his red shirt about a quarter mile before the finish line. That was the best. I just saw him and focused on running to get to him.

I'm hooked and looking forward to my next one on June 22.

2008-06-01 6:14 PM
in reply to: #1436493

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Jo -- Great job! Congratulations! Happy, happy joy joy. Nice visual of you running into your hubby's arms! :-) Sweet.

Edited by lmscozz 2008-06-01 6:14 PM
2008-06-01 8:45 PM

User image

Veteran

Great job Jo! Congratulations!!!!

As of yesterday I was bailing out of mine...after a small dizzy spell, couldn't catch my breath, panic attack thing earlier in the week I decided not to.

Late last night I realized I was just plain scared to do it and decided for that reason I had to.  I realized I the the one I did earlier in the pool was not going to count for me.  Got up at 3 am and drove to it.  Told myself the whole 3 hours there that if I could just get through this I'd probably just run the rest of the summer as I don't have as much time to train lately.

The swim was kind of like everyone said it would be.  Because I'm not a great swimmer I put myself in the back...BIG mistake.  I actually can swim decent speed for the first 200 or so....spent the first 150-200 try to pick my way through the group....mostly doing side stroke or anything else I could do to keep my head up and see.....kicked in the head a couple times.   Overall I think I would have been fine if I could have gotten some space and didn't want to go WAY outside for that.

Anyways I'll spare you the rest of the details....ended up 432 out of about 800 that finished so I was happy with that.  

...oh yeah...and now I'm looking for the next one....i guess i'm not done

Thanks again to the group (or what's left of it) for pushing me into it! 

2008-06-01 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran

A woman spoke before the race.  She never wore a helmet to train because she hated them.   2 weeks ago she put one on just to get used to it for todays race.  Someone hit her going about 60...never saw her...never even touched the breaks.  Amazing she's alive....even more amazing that she competed today only 2 weeks later!

2008-06-01 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1437232

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Way to Go Alan!

Way to fight through all your fears! You had to feel like you won the race as soon as you got out of the water! Great Job! How long was your swim?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52