BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-01-26 1:30 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed

Hey all!

Got a quick swim in at lunch and hoping to do my trainer ride tonight (was supposed to do it last night) and push tonights run to tomorrow.  We have received a lot of rain and looks like we will get a few day break.  We got a lot of rain and a few clear days will allow the ground to soak it up, we need it.

Texas - The super sprint will be a good race for you.  I will be there hopefully as I signed up for the series.

Glad to see the thread busy, everyone needs to get used to posting workouts, issues, etc.  We want to hear it!

2012-01-26 2:20 PM

Veteran
Swam at lunch today. Second time back in with my masters group. But it was absolutely ridiculous -there were 7, yes 7, people in my lane! I usually leave practice very relaxed but today I'm still stressed out from swimming with that many people. Ugh. If it stays this busy I'm going to have to swim at another time. I thought about going down a lane, but that lane had 5 already and I would have made 6, which isnt much better than 7. Feel much better just venting. I'll go again next Tuesday and see how it is.
2012-01-26 3:54 PM
in reply to: #4010139

User image

Regular
Kansas City
motoxmom1 - 2012-01-25 10:09 AM
ccoffin - 2012-01-25 6:34 AM

That kind of training will pay off. Try to get in a busy lane on a regular basis.  It will get you used to swimming in close proximity to others. I grew up swimming on a local team and thought I had the swimming part covered. At my first tri the swim was the worst part for me! I was not used to having people kick, hit, or swim over the top of me! I got kicked hard in the ribs about 25 yards off shore and it took the wind right out of me! I thought I was going to drown as the air went out and the lake water came in. I learned some valuable lessons that day! I have also done a couple of tri's that had pool swims so that lane sharing will come in handy! Keep up the good work!

Oh for sure, it was a great workout.  I worried the entire time about being in the way and actually ended up swimming harder than I normally do so I wouldn't slow anyone down.

Got a 5k in today @ 28:45, that felt a little labored.  Because of the discussion on socks last week, I decided that tonight I'm ordering a new pair of running shoes and some running socks.  If that isn't going to take me sub 25, I don't know what will.

Swim workout tomorrow has me a little nervous.  Have never been over 200M before, and tomorrow's work out calls for 2 100's, 1 200, and 1 300.  I'll let you all know how it goes, if I don't drown.

2012-01-26 4:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks
I decided to take tonight off. I've been fighting something off all week. A little short of breath during workouts and quite a bit of sinus drainage. I've worked out all week, with the exception of Sunday, when we were out of town for my GrandDaughters 1st Birthday party. I know they always say it's ok to exercise if it 's from the neck up, but I just feel like I need a break tonight!
2012-01-26 5:35 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Its easy to feel guilty about missing a workout but in reality, except maybe a few key workouts building for a race, it never really matters.  Take the SRD, heal, and hit it hard next workout.

There was a question on multi vitamins.  Not sure what brand I take, I think Centrum.  I started taking multivitamins as I was having some horrible foot cramps at night and banana's or Orange juice (basically anything with potassium) cured them.  I found multivitamins were just easier (kids kept eating all of my banana's and polishing off the OJ).  I always look for the one with the most potassium.  Tried straight potassium pills but the side effects were not enjoyable.

I ended up picking up the Total Immersion deal for $40.  After I have gone thru it I can lend it to anyone that wants to view it.

I need to pickup an underwater video camera to analyze my stroke.  I have an old Tivo box and monitor so just need a camera.  My guess is the cost to purchase one is too expensive.

2012-01-26 6:42 PM
in reply to: #4011837

User image

Expert
dwpiggott - 2012-01-26 9:30 AM

Sparta. My first tri was GH last year. We'll have to do a ride together when the weather breaks.

[I am in Spring Lake.  Where are you?  I am also doing the RBR 25k.  See you there]

A ride outside sounds great. 

2012-01-26 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
In Frederick, MD on business till Monday. Hoping to get a little outdoor running in, but gonna be tough working 10-12 hour days here. Anyone in the group in this area?
2012-01-26 11:40 PM
in reply to: #4013147

User image

Expert
Hammond
GaryRM - 2012-01-26 5:35 PM

Its easy to feel guilty about missing a workout but in reality, except maybe a few key workouts building for a race, it never really matters.  Take the SRD, heal, and hit it hard next workout.

There was a question on multi vitamins.  Not sure what brand I take, I think Centrum.  I started taking multivitamins as I was having some horrible foot cramps at night and banana's or Orange juice (basically anything with potassium) cured them.  I found multivitamins were just easier (kids kept eating all of my banana's and polishing off the OJ).  I always look for the one with the most potassium.  Tried straight potassium pills but the side effects were not enjoyable.

I ended up picking up the Total Immersion deal for $40.  After I have gone thru it I can lend it to anyone that wants to view it.

I need to pickup an underwater video camera to analyze my stroke.  I have an old Tivo box and monitor so just need a camera.  My guess is the cost to purchase one is too expensive.

Gary,

I'd love to watch the vids when your done with it. The instructor I learned from taught TI but I'd love to go through it again.

And I have a camera that is an underwater camera. It also takes videos. I'd be glad to let you borrow it. Not sure of the quality because I don't use it for video. It's a cannon that takes awesome pics and is waterproof so I'd think the video is pretty decent as well. It's waterproof to 33ft.

Just let me know and we can figure out a way to meet and get it to you and then back to me when you're done with it.

Shelly

2012-01-27 7:06 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Shelly - Thanks, will PM you on the camera and definitely get you the DVD

DW - good luck getting a run in

55 mins on the trainer last night with a swim and a run today.  But based upon this weekends schedule may ride today instead.  Tomorrow may be a USRD.  Not a great week for workouts!

Edited by GaryRM 2012-01-27 1:04 PM
2012-01-27 9:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

I feel like a new woman today! Last night I decided I would skip my Friday am run as well and did not set my alarm. I will go to a 1hr spin class this afternoon. We have two rides planned this weekend. A shorter 25-30 mile ride Saturday and around 50 miles Sunday. Looks like I should be able to get some good long rides in Monday and Tuesday as well with the highs temps being around 60. I try to take advatage of the weather when it's warm to focus on cycling and let the others side a bit.

I looked at the interlibrary loan system at my local library and it looks I can get the Total Immersion. I will stop in today and have them put it on order. I've heard people on BT sing it's praises for sometime so I better check it out.

2012-01-27 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Glad you're feeling much better!

I got my swim in this morning as was pretty well surprised at how good it went.  I have mostly been following an interval training program, and this was the first workout it asked me to log some distance with a 900M ladder.

100M warm up, 200M swim, 300M swim, 200M swim, and a 100M cool down.

I'll finish up my first month of the program this Sunday, and believe I'll tailor a program for myself from there, which would include at least 1 work out a week with some long swims.  Race is only a 500M swim, so I feel like I'm at least half way there.

Ordered some shoes and socks last night too.  No more Hanes.

2012-01-27 6:54 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
LOL, Moto I just noticed that you are in Manhattan, KS.  Actually lived there for a year (worked in Topeka) when my wife was doing an large animal internship at KSU.  It was the year K-State went to bowl (copper maybe) for the first time in a long time.
2012-01-27 8:38 PM
in reply to: #4015267

User image

Veteran
Manhattan, Ks

GaryRM - 2012-01-27 6:54 PM LOL, Moto I just noticed that you are in Manhattan, KS.  Actually lived there for a year (worked in Topeka) when my wife was doing an large animal internship at KSU.  It was the year K-State went to bowl (copper maybe) for the first time in a long time.

Small world! Copper Bowl means you would have been here around 1993. Coach Snyder took us to 11 consecutive bowl games starting that year. He came out of retirement to coach KSU again in 2009 and were back in the bowl business. I'm not sure you would recognize the town anymore, it has grown by leaps and bounds. Several areas near the center town were taken by Eminent Domain and turned into commercial areas. Best Buy, Dicks, Olive Garden, Petsmart, Super Walmart, Super Target the list goes on and on. Too many new neighborhoods to count. They have mainly sprung up on the north and west sides of town and extend far out into what was once rolling pasture and farm land. KSU has many new buildings, alot just north and west of the vet med complex. A big deal that has been in the national news the past year was the announcement that the NBAF Lab (National Bio and Agro Defense) will be re-locating from Plum Island in NY to Manhattan. They estimate the town will double in population when the new facility is complete. My husband is a Real Estate Appraiser and Manhattan has also been in the national news for having one of only thriving housing markets in the nation. Seems they can't build them fast enough around here. I sometimes wish we had our "smallish" college/military town the way it used to be!

2012-01-27 10:04 PM
in reply to: #4013990

User image

Expert
Hammond
motoxmom1 - 2012-01-27 9:24 AM

I feel like a new woman today! Last night I decided I would skip my Friday am run as well and did not set my alarm. I will go to a 1hr spin class this afternoon. We have two rides planned this weekend. A shorter 25-30 mile ride Saturday and around 50 miles Sunday. Looks like I should be able to get some good long rides in Monday and Tuesday as well with the highs temps being around 60. I try to take advatage of the weather when it's warm to focus on cycling and let the others side a bit.

I looked at the interlibrary loan system at my local library and it looks I can get the Total Immersion. I will stop in today and have them put it on order. I've heard people on BT sing it's praises for sometime so I better check it out.

Glad you are feeling better. I just have to laugh when you post about the weather being warm at 60, for me that's still a tad on the cool side. Not what I'd call cold especially for training but definitely not what I'd call warm- lol. I'm spoiled with this warm Southern temperature.

Hope you enjoy your riding.

Shelly

2012-01-27 10:08 PM
in reply to: #4014121

User image

Expert
Hammond
ccoffin - 2012-01-27 10:14 AM

Glad you're feeling much better!

I got my swim in this morning as was pretty well surprised at how good it went.  I have mostly been following an interval training program, and this was the first workout it asked me to log some distance with a 900M ladder.

100M warm up, 200M swim, 300M swim, 200M swim, and a 100M cool down.

I'll finish up my first month of the program this Sunday, and believe I'll tailor a program for myself from there, which would include at least 1 work out a week with some long swims.  Race is only a 500M swim, so I feel like I'm at least half way there.

Ordered some shoes and socks last night too.  No more Hanes.

Sounds like you're doing awesome with your swimming. Great workout!

Shelly

2012-01-28 8:03 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Moto- yep, '93 was the year.  My wife keeps in contact with some of the folks that either work there or recently left there and they basically said its become a quite the city.  Kinda liked it as it was but everything changes.

Off to a Pony Club annual meeting in NOLA.  Hoping to get another ride in tonight, hopefully on the road if we get home soon enough.

Later all!

2012-01-29 1:01 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

Yesterday turned into a rest day with today being a longish run.  Temps are a little cool but sunny and actually warm when no wind.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

Mike - did you do the virtual 5k this weekend?

2012-01-29 3:32 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Weather was great here today too.

Took advantage of it and got in a 6.6 mile bike.  Found a 3.3 mile loop from my house that had a lot of different climbs.  A half mile gradual climb, and several roughly 200 yard very steep climbs.  So since I'm only half insane, I decided to ride it twice.

Note to self:  next time don't forget your water.  Forgot it for yesterday's spin class too.

Got a 900M swim in this afternoon as well.  All my swims for the month are in and I broke the 10k yard mark.  Don't know how it ranks, but considering I had total 0 the previous entire life, I'm feeling pretty good about it.  Shooting for 15k this month.

Edited by ccoffin 2012-01-29 8:13 PM
2012-01-29 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4017080

User image

Master
St. Louis
GaryRM - 2012-01-29 1:01 PM

Mike - did you do the virtual 5k this weekend?

I did, kind of.  My race report is here . My original plan was to run a 5k from my house Sunday with a couple friends then have a cookout, but those plans fell through.  I ended up running with some people from our local tri club and doing 8 miles on the trails.  99.9% of my training is alone but I really had fun running with a group.  I might try to become a little more social :-).

2012-01-30 2:40 AM

User image

Expert

So I have been swimming at the same pool since 2008.  I have always thought it was a 25M pool.  Who builds a new competition pool in 2008 in yards not meters??

I was on their website today and it is apparently 25yds and not 25M.  WTF?  Now all of my swims have been reduced by about 9%.  I feel cheated. 

Just venting.  Otherwise all is well.  Week 1 in the bag and looking forward to ramping up the miles.

Going to Florida for a few days.  Can't wait to run outside in shorts. 

Cheers

Rob

2012-01-30 7:24 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Morning all!

Got a great run in yesterday around the lakes with one of the miles being sub 9.  Nice to know I have a little bit of speed left in my.  Unfortunately by mile 8 my right knee was sore again.  I am going to have to start doing a run walk for my HM distance.  Funny enough is that at Austin my knee never bothered me.  Ride tonight on the trainer.

Rob - lol on the pool!  Have fun in Florida

Mike -will have to check out your RR.  Nice job on the 8 and have to agree I like running with others (if they are not too much faster than me) but I train mostly alone.

Looks like I will be leading a couch to 5k group at my church.  Not sure if anyone will join but as part of helping out the LA Skeeter run (part of the Imagine No Malaria program) I thought I would help another person from my church get this going.

Okay, Garys weekly question: What kind of tire pump do you use (brand)?

Me: I bought a Zefal HP - supposedly a good brand and has a very solid base.  Bought at my LBS using my Tri group discount to make the price reasonable.

2012-01-30 9:52 AM

Veteran
Sounds like everyone had a great weekend. I did my LTHR running test on Friday and it sucked, but then went for a nice/muddy/icy run with lots of creek crossing on Saturday that was super fun. I was supposed to ride on Sunday but we ended up spending the whole day up on the mountain. And (I need to brad a little) both boys did their first unassisted runs down the mountain. It was awesome! So today instead of strength training, i'm going to go to a spin class and make up the part of the cycling time.

Group question: What do you do when you miss a workout? Do you try and make it up? Or just go on? On my new plan, Mondays are my easy day but since I didnt do anything yesterday I feel like I should ride today and skip strength training this week. What do you think?

Tire pump: I have absolutely no idea. Whatever my husband bought and is in the garage. Ditto for the CO2 one on my bike.
2012-01-30 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

Hi all ... got back in over the weekend from skiing all of last week at Big Sky, Mt  .  What a week! Conditions were great and I skied pretty well - thanks to the training and conditioning from all of the triathlete work over the past year. 

With all of the new members to the group - again I wanted to say "welcome" - and to pass on some info related to cycling rules ... yes there are rules: http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/  

Enjoy

2012-01-30 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I read this post over lunch today and wanted to pass along.  It's a really great post, and hits home with me being as this is only my second year with competing and such.  I seldom ask the trainers at my club anything, as any more as it seems the only way to get help is via 'extended services', swiping a credit card, etc. 

The site here provides easy and great advice on the sport, on fitness and people's health in general ... priceless.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=419113&posts=58&start=1

2012-01-30 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4018397

User image

Master
St. Louis

elizabethk - 2012-01-30 9:52 AM

Group question: What do you do when you miss a workout? Do you try and make it up? Or just go on? On my new plan, Mondays are my easy day but since I didnt do anything yesterday I feel like I should ride today and skip strength training this week. What do you think?

I try to make up a missed workout but don't fret about it if I don't.  You just don't want to miss too many key workouts.  You have to decide what key workouts are for your goals.  For me, they are the long rides and runs since my A race is a HIM.  If my A race was a 5k or shorter, my key workouts would be intervals or sprints.

My bike pump is a Schwinn Air Driver that I have used for about 10 years.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115