BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-08-03 5:14 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Had the worst run ever today. Was only supposed to be a mere 6 miles....got to 4.5 and was just gassed. Managed 5.1 and called it quits. Got home, my upper back seemed to tighten, I got nauseous,almost passed out. I'm sure it was a combination of.heat, humidity and going out too fast.

Riding 60+ tomorrow. Definitely getting an early start and really going to be focused on proper hydration and fluid intake.

2013-08-03 6:56 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
We are in Boulder and all checked in. It sure is beautiful out here. The roads are fabulous for cycling. I can see why so many triathletes live here. Got together with my coach and a bunch of 'his' athletes this morning for a 17 mile ride and a very short run session. It was really pleasant. We passed Cameron Dye while riding. I can guarantee that is the only time I will ever be going faster than him on a bike.

Rene, from a previous mentor group, is out here racing also and was on our ride. It as fun to finally meet her in person after more than a year of Internet friendship. We are getting together tonight for dinner (with our spouses so everything is on the up and up ). Now I need to sign up for a race with Randy so we can meet up in real life.
2013-08-03 8:59 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Jason-So jealous you're out in Boulder! I'm seriously thinking about trying to move out there in the next couple years.

Ok gang, today was a long one: 7 1/2 hour, 110 mile ride with a 1 hour run after. This was the last truly long ride before taper begins. It was a good day, all in all, but I'm having stomach issues. I posted this in the IM Training forum, so I'll just repost here:

I just finished up my last long ride before IM Louisville. I've been training since Jan. 1, and I'm feeling really good heading into the race...except for one thing, stomach issues! I'll use my long ride today as an example: 110 miles in 7 1/2 hours (it was into and then out of some pretty hilly terrain) with a 1 hour run afterward. I drank only water, and started out with Gu Roctanes every 1/2 hour for the first half of the ride. I was feeling nauseated after the first half, so I switched up to basically every hour after that. My stomach felt bloated, and I didn't really want to eat anything. I felt the same way on the run, but my whole stomach feels tense, like I'm clenching my stomach muscles. This only seems to happen when I'm going really long. It happened today, and I felt pretty similarly in Ironman Raleigh 70.3. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I take in less calories, maybe a Gu every 45 minutes of 1/2 hour? Or, is my core just weak as crap? I'm open to any and all help, thanks!

I know we talked before about an all-liquid diet, but I felt like I was too close to the race to experiment with something like that. My legs feel solid during the workout, it's just nausea and then serious tightness, not quite cramping, in my whole stomach; it's not a side stitch or pain in my ribs. Also, I guess this could just be the suck that goes along with IM-distance training, in which case, just tell me to suck it up and embrace it!

Good luck again to everyone racing this weekend!
2013-08-03 10:49 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Jason-So jealous you're out in Boulder! I'm seriously thinking about trying to move out there in the next couple years.

Ok gang, today was a long one: 7 1/2 hour, 110 mile ride with a 1 hour run after. This was the last truly long ride before taper begins. It was a good day, all in all, but I'm having stomach issues. I posted this in the IM Training forum, so I'll just repost here:

I just finished up my last long ride before IM Louisville. I've been training since Jan. 1, and I'm feeling really good heading into the race...except for one thing, stomach issues! I'll use my long ride today as an example: 110 miles in 7 1/2 hours (it was into and then out of some pretty hilly terrain) with a 1 hour run afterward. I drank only water, and started out with Gu Roctanes every 1/2 hour for the first half of the ride. I was feeling nauseated after the first half, so I switched up to basically every hour after that. My stomach felt bloated, and I didn't really want to eat anything. I felt the same way on the run, but my whole stomach feels tense, like I'm clenching my stomach muscles. This only seems to happen when I'm going really long. It happened today, and I felt pretty similarly in Ironman Raleigh 70.3. Anyone have any suggestions? Should I take in less calories, maybe a Gu every 45 minutes of 1/2 hour? Or, is my core just weak as crap? I'm open to any and all help, thanks!

I know we talked before about an all-liquid diet, but I felt like I was too close to the race to experiment with something like that. My legs feel solid during the workout, it's just nausea and then serious tightness, not quite cramping, in my whole stomach; it's not a side stitch or pain in my ribs. Also, I guess this could just be the suck that goes along with IM-distance training, in which case, just tell me to suck it up and embrace it!

I understand what you are saying about not changing things up now. But.... Is it really working? Will it work on race day?

How about squeezing your gels out in to a water bottle and then diluting it with water, essentially creating your own electrolyte drink. You are still taking in the same things, in the same ratios, but metered out differently. It might be worth trying.
2013-08-03 11:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Calgary, AB

Hey folks -- quick check-in -- happy to report some good training progress.

First -- yesterday I ran an outdoor 5K training run (first one in a while that wasn't a race situation) -- and managed to lay down a 27:09, which is (a) nearly a minute better than my previous best 5K, and (b) checks off another one of my 2013 goals.   Next stop 25:00!

And today -- I had an inadvertent "tri day" today -- kind of patched together the world's strangest tri without realizing it....

- My wife and I did open-water swim practice up in the mountains -- nothing long, but a good ~500m practice before my last tri of the season in September.  Kids played in the sand while my wife and I swapped turns.

- Then, I took the kids on a short hike while my wife did her bike workout (Canmore to Banff and back again -- right in the middle of the mountains -- can't imagine a prettier ride!)

- Finally, I capped the day off with a 3hr ride.  Took advantage of the late sunset -- left after dinner (6:45), returned home at 9:45 right as darkness was encroaching.  Legs are a bit crispy now but very happy to get it done.

So to recap -- my "tri" today was 20 minute swim, 30 min run, 3 hr bike.  With T1 of ~1 hour and T2 of ~4 hours plus a roast beef dinner.  And a cookie break during the run.    

Anyone wanna sign up for next year?  Laughing

Edited by Hoos 2013-08-03 11:53 PM
2013-08-04 5:32 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Jamie--does that mean you're taking in 14-15 gels on the bike?  Ewww.  I agree with Jason, I wonder if you're not diluting them enough with H20 during consumption.  I use concentrated Infinit on the bike (one sip every 10' chased with a sip of h20--basically 5-6 CHOs every 10').  I also consume H20 between feedings.  If I don't my stomach bloats and cramps up from too many concentrated CHOs.

One other thought, what is the sugar source in GU Roctane?  I know I personally had a problem with straight malodextrin.  Once I went to a combination sugar source my stomach was much less bloated and gassy.

2013-08-04 5:34 AM

User image

Champion

My epic weekend workout is behind me, 3:15 bike, 5m run at 8:26 pace, 2:30 bike, 5m run at 8:26 pace.  That last part of the ride in 20mph winds and the whole last run reminded me how hard it is to do an IM well.  Holy Cow.   I need a little more MOJO in 6 weeks!

The good news is nutrition is where it needs to be and no body pain.

2013-08-04 9:55 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I understand what you are saying about not changing things up now. But.... Is it really working? Will it work on race day?

How about squeezing your gels out in to a water bottle and then diluting it with water, essentially creating your own electrolyte drink. You are still taking in the same things, in the same ratios, but metered out differently. It might be worth trying.

That's a pretty good idea. I hadn't thought of that. I'm worried about it happening on race day; I don't think it would keep me from finishing, but I do think it'll really slow me down and make me have a worse day. I have a 4-hour ride next Saturday, so I think I'll try the Gu/water bottle then.
I also think that it might be a bike thing. I don't seem to have any problems with my stomach on long runs; I can take in a Gu every 1/2 hour on a 3-hour run, and I've never had stomach issues. I'm guessing I just don't digest well on the bike.
2013-08-04 10:28 AM

User image

New user
Hi guys, haven't been on in a while. Life stuff has had me very busy.
My Mom fell and broke her hip several weeks ago. She is 93 and was very mobile so hopefully she can return to that. She is doing well in rehab.
Then a week ago my brother in law passed away so I just returned from Orlando yesterday.

I have managed some training, 5k's and a tri around and between all of this.
First time I have ever run with palm trees for a view!

My running distance has really stepped up, with no injuries but more soreness than the biking or swimming bring. I have progressed slowly since January, today is my long run. 5.7 miles which is the longest ever for me.

I will have to catch up on our forum and see what everyone is up to!

Mary
2013-08-04 12:56 PM
in reply to: Chunga

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jason is having a great day at Boulder. Should be a nice PR for him. Right around 7 min pace through first half of the run.
2013-08-04 1:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Jason really knows how to crush it! A 1:32 run is amazing.

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-08-04 3:49 PM

2013-08-04 3:25 PM

User image

I completed my Oly today!!!!
I'm really happy with my time (3:10:29) even though there was only a couple of people behind me and the course is flat. Still, DELIGHTED I completed it and finished smiling, having a great time.
I think my transitions were a bit slow and I think I done brilliant on the swim, but they haven't put out the full results yet, when they do I'll write my RR. For now hubby has snacks and a few cold beers in store...
2013-08-04 3:43 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Jason - I can't wait to hear how you did - and I'm curious to know how the altitude affected you, if at all. Although I don't know what altitude you live at......

Jamie my husband cannot stomach gu products at all. I'd hate to change right before game day but you gotta be comfortable! Stomach pain is the worst. Good luck.

Mary - life has a way of throwing curveballs right when everything is going great. Hopefully things will settle down and get back to "normal" soon. Way to keep up the training in the meantime and congrats on your run!

Tat - congratulations! best of all - you had a good time!!

I had another sprint today. and TA DA although my swim and run times were at the end of the spectrum, my bike time was fast enough to carry me to 3rd in my AG! HOORAY!! LOL And today I was only bottom of the middle third so we're making progress!!

This winter I'm committed to improving my swim and run. Already looking forward to next year....and....I think I have my first HIM distance picked. I don't want to jinx it though so more details on that later.

Just enjoyed an 1.5 nap. AAHHHH

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday all.
2013-08-04 3:46 PM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Champion

Originally posted by tatous I completed my Oly today!!!! I'm really happy with my time (3:10:29) even though there was only a couple of people behind me and the course is flat. Still, DELIGHTED I completed it and finished smiling, having a great time. I think my transitions were a bit slow and I think I done brilliant on the swim, but they haven't put out the full results yet, when they do I'll write my RR. For now hubby has snacks and a few cold beers in store...

Woo-Hoo!!!  Awesome job.  Can't wait to read the RR!

2013-08-04 4:08 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Just got home from my race today, 3rd overall out of about 20, small race but hey you can't beat a $15 entry fee, 2nd in my AG out of who knows how many but not a lot maybe 7. Had a good run a great bike and a bad swim, the bike put me in position just to hang on to 3rd by about 90 seconds, it was a reverse, here is the race report if anyone is interested.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-08-04 4:19 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
That was hard but so satisfying. I feel like I had the race I wanted to have at Tremblant.

I don't know if I could execute a race any better than this on my current fitness.

It was curious that I didn't feel much effect from the altitude on the swim or bike but I felt a little oxygen starved on the run. I really wanted to be sub 1:30 but that was all I could do given the altitude, the course and the heat.

I will give a much more detailed run down of things when I have an actual keyboard.

My coach won the overall AG race. Guy is crazy fast.

Tay-congratulations on your Olympic success.

2013-08-04 4:56 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-really fantastic performance. Well done!

Tay-good work at the olympic.

Mary-sorry for all of the family difficulties. Glad you have been able to get some training in. Nice to have you checking in.

Jamie/Suzy-good work on the big training weekends.

2013-08-04 5:08 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Wow, looks like we had some great races this weekend! Good job, everybody!
2013-08-04 8:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Today I got in my 3-hour long run, just under 18 miles. My legs were pretty fried from yesterday, but I felt better than I expected. My times were slow, but it was about 90 degrees (I'm trying to train in the hurt/heat to get ready for Louisville). I also think that the bike has a lot to do with my stomach issues. I took in Gu's, not as many as yesterday, and didn't really seem to have any real discomfort. So, I ordered some Ironman Perform, since that'll be at the race, and I'm going to try and mix that in. That'll give me primarily water, then a Perform every hour, with a Gu every 1 1/2-2 hours. I'm going to try that out this weekend on my next long ride. Congrats again to all you PRing racers out there!
2013-08-04 8:24 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jamie-good job on the run. I know you don't want to monkey with your nutrition much at this point but maybe adding some solid food on the bike might help your stomach. On long bike rides I'll eat a Honey Stinger waffle or a couple of peanut butter crackers. Keeps my stomach from rumbling and makes me feel like I am mixing it up a bit. 
2013-08-04 8:58 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
First -- sorry for crashing the group. I was going to post this in the TT forum, but when I looked around (after many months' absence) it looked, well, the same. And really anybody who might care about this post is on one of a few mentor groups anyway).

It's been a crazy many months, but I'll keep it short: our new, bigger, family is settled and happy. We're used to having little ones again and loving their energy. I've been running but no S/B. I have the green light to take a crack at IM Coeur D'Alene next summer, so if it is still open (haven't checked and I get paid next week so irrelevant until then...) I will sign up and start S/B in a couple of weeks.

Thanks to all those who gave well wishes those many months ago, and apologies to those who sent messages in the meantime -- I had to go cold turkey from BT (and many other things) to get my life in order. Mission accomplished.

2013-08-04 10:42 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Michael. You know you are always welcome here.

It is great to hear you may be returning to the world of triathlon.

It is even better to her that things are going well with your expanded family. Congratulations on making good decisions and doing the right thing.

Welcome back.
2013-08-05 5:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Wow, some great results this weekend! Congratulations to everyone.

Jason - great negative split on your run. I look forward to reading the full race report.

Scott - your "tri" sounds like a lot of fun. They're the days I like, where it just sort of happens...

Michael - I don't know the details of what you've been going through, but welcome back to the world of tri. It's here waiting for you whenever you're ready.

Jamie - from what you've described about your "digestive" issues on the bike, it sounds like you may be working a little hard? If you're fine with the gu on the run, but not the bike that's the most likely reason. I had a lot of bloating on the bike last year from using sports drinks because I was worrying about drinking enough, so I switched to solid food so that I could deal with hydration and nutrition separately, and that worked a lot better for me this year. I still had a few issues on the run, but I think I was trying a little too hard to stay on top of it, and got carried away. It's still a work in progress...
2013-08-05 5:20 AM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Had a 66 mile ride with a friend yesterday (rode all around Lake Thurmond). Was a beautiful ride, and one of those that doesn't seem too challenging as you're riding it, but when you finished you realized what a butt kicking you just had. No huge hills (though there were plenty of rollers), but you never seemed to get that nice downhill break where you could rest your legs and lungs, and we had a pretty good headwind the entire way around the lake (go figure). My friend is training for IMFL, so it was a good training ride for her in preparation for non stop pedaling for 100+ miles.

Had a rough time from miles 45-56. Really ran out of energy miles 53-56, so we had a little break at an old train station, I got some extra water and food in me, and then was able to ride pretty hard on the way back in. I only carry two bottles on my bike (we stopped at gas stations so I could refill water at mile 25 and again at mile 45). I really needed to refill every 17 miles. I may need to rethink my hydration and add a behind the seat bottle.
2013-08-05 8:35 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Veteran
Denton

Michael - Glad to hear everything has settled ... good to hear you are getting back to the S/B

I finished a 30 minute run on the treadmill this morning. My coach has me doing a whole bunch of two-a-days this week. 

Congratulations to all the racers out there ... great way to kill it .. .

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88