BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 85

2013-03-25 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4673697

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED

rrrunner - 2013-03-25 1:52 PM Oh, for those who want to track me beyond the IM site I will be wearing a tracker by My Athlete. There are iPhone and Droid apps called My Athlete and the website is www.myathletelive.com where you can look for Ironman California and then my name (TJ Lato). The race starts at 6:30 PDT and my wave starts at 7:21. I won't be wearing the tracker for the swim so it'll start moving when I hop on my bike.

Saweeeet! Heck yes! I am so excited for you. 

2013-03-25 1:56 PM

User image

Melon Presser

rrrunner - 2013-03-26 3:52 AM Oh, for those who want to track me beyond the IM site I will be wearing a tracker by My Athlete. There are iPhone and Droid apps called My Athlete and the website is www.myathletelive.com where you can look for Ironman California and then my name (TJ Lato). The race starts at 6:30 PDT and my wave starts at 7:21. I won't be wearing the tracker for the swim so it'll start moving when I hop on my bike.

Another piece of excellent news!

Ooooh and your full name. I am *really* going to stalk you now.

2013-03-25 1:58 PM
in reply to: #4673393

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 11:17 AM

So, as you said, doing the run/walk is a pacing strategy. Does this mean it's something you want to practice throughout all of your different workouts or is it something you more just want to use in a longer run/race?

I guess I really don't know much about it other than when it's used as a longer distance race strategy (IE walking through the water stations.)

Maybe someone can point me to something that discusses the philosophy?

Well this is Galloway's website, but I don't see anything succinct that describes his method. I also have his marathon book, and basically his philosophy for that distance is that by employing a run-walk strategy, you increase the amount of time you can be on your feet. You use different muscles for each, so you rest the "run" muscles while walking and the "walk" muscles while running. Over 9 miles, lets say for the simplicity of math because I suck at it, if you use a 2-1 run/walk, you actually end up running just 6 miles instead of 9, while still covering 9 miles.

So it's more than just pacing.

The ratio can change for each runner. He talks about some speedy marathoners using a modified run/walk. They basically run fast, and then every mile or so "glide" for a short distance. (I can't remember now what that distance is -- 100m?) It's just another way of giving one group of muscles a break while still moving.

He is not a proponent of coming to a full stop. Ever. He argues that if you stop, or heaven forbid, sit down, you are basically done.

It's intriguing, especially the argument about resting muscle groups while still maintaining forward motion.

ETA: To answer the other part -- you have to practice it because you need to build up endurance in your walk muscles just as we do for the run muscles.

Edited by KansasMom 2013-03-25 1:59 PM
2013-03-25 2:01 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

rrrunner - 2013-03-25 1:52 PM Oh, for those who want to track me beyond the IM site I will be wearing a tracker by My Athlete. There are iPhone and Droid apps called My Athlete and the website is www.myathletelive.com where you can look for Ironman California and then my name (TJ Lato). The race starts at 6:30 PDT and my wave starts at 7:21. I won't be wearing the tracker for the swim so it'll start moving when I hop on my bike.

This looks awesome! Have you used it before? I may have to rent one for Galveston for my wife

2013-03-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4673712

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2013-03-25 1:58 PM

So, as you said, doing the run/walk is a pacing strategy. Does this mean it's something you want to practice throughout all of your different workouts or is it something you more just want to use in a longer run/race?

I guess I really don't know much about it other than when it's used as a longer distance race strategy (IE walking through the water stations.)

Well this is Galloway's website, but I don't see anything succinct that describes his method. I also have his marathon book, and basically his philosophy for that distance is that by employing a run-walk strategy, you increase the amount of time you can be on your feet. You use different muscles for each, so you rest the "run" muscles while walking and the "walk" muscles while running. Over 9 miles, lets say for the simplicity of math because I suck at it, if you use a 2-1 run/walk, you actually end up running just 6 miles instead of 9, while still covering 9 miles.

The ratio can change for each runner. He talks about some speedy marathoners using a modified run/walk. They basically run fast, and then every mile or so "glide" for a short distance. (I can't remember now what that distance is -- 100m?) It's just another way of giving one group of muscles a break while still moving.

He is not a proponent of coming to a full stop. Ever. He argues that if you stop, or heaven forbid, sit down, you are basically done.

It's intriguing, especially the argument about resting muscle groups while still maintaining forward motion.

ETA: To answer the other part -- you have to practice it because you need to build up endurance in your walk muscles just as we do for the run muscles.

Well, you are still using the same muscles while maintaining forward motion. It's not like marathon pace is us all out running.  I'd see it more as a break aerobically. 

2013-03-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: #4651276

User image

Seattle

I got a big packet of Boston information this weekend. They said that people can get cell phone updates for the 5K, 10K, HM and 30K splits.

THey said I needed to bring the phone numbers of the people who want to track me when I pick up my bib. Not sure if there is an option other than that or not?

THe packet of information is ca-raaazy. They've obviously been putting this marathon on for a while Wink

2013-03-25 2:08 PM
in reply to: #4673430

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Muskrat37 - 2013-03-25 11:39 AM

Running Question...

I am now following my "planned training" and have been swimming / biking / and running.  Had a great week of training - and am running further than my plan calls for (comfortably) and cycling a bit more also.  No worries there.  

I want to run my final pure running race (The Eugene 1/2 marathon) on 4/28/13.  This race finishes at Hayward Field (home of the Olympic Trials) on the University of Oregon Campus.  Since I bleed Yellow & Green, I've been looking forward to this race for a while. I plan to try and PR this race.  

I have put together the following RUN training plan.  I will be doing this along side my bike and swimming workouts that are scheduled in my "planned" workouts.  I need to know if this is plan I put together is crazy (builds to fast), or doable... Thanks for your help.  

Week of:MonTuesWedThursFriSatSundayTotal Miles

3/18/20132.54.66 4.12 6.4 17.68
3/25/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 825
4/1/20134 (recovery)5 4 (strides)4 926
4/8/20134 (recovery)6 2 (speed)6 1028
4/15/20135 (recovery)6 3 (speed)5 1231
4/22/20133 (recovery)4 32 Race Day12

You have the long run building from 8, 9, 10, and 12, and then 13.1 on race day. You're younger than I am and maybe can do that, but I find that I need to build for two weeks and then step back and then build again. So, using your numbers,  the increase in the long runs would look something like this: 8, 9, 7, 9, 10, 8, 10, 11, 9, 11, 12, 10, etc . . . Granted, to get up to 13.1, you'd need more time doing it that way.

I also agree with Salty that optimum training would be to have a long run longer than 13.1. I haven't had the luxury of doing that yet (time, illness, etc), but I see the wisdom in it. Galloway, in the marathon book I have, points out that it's not a coincidence that runners hit "the wall" precisely at their longest training run, which is why he is critical of marathon plans which have 23 or 24 miles as the longest training run. (I will also add that the Hal Higdon novice half marathon plan has a long training run of 10 miles -- right where I usually hit some kind of wall at the 13.1 distance.)

2013-03-25 2:08 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

rrrunner - 2013-03-25 2:52 PM Oh, for those who want to track me beyond the IM site I will be wearing a tracker by My Athlete. There are iPhone and Droid apps called My Athlete and the website is www.myathletelive.com where you can look for Ironman California and then my name (TJ Lato). The race starts at 6:30 PDT and my wave starts at 7:21. I won't be wearing the tracker for the swim so it'll start moving when I hop on my bike.

I am installing the app now. I can't wait to "see" you in action!!!

2013-03-25 2:12 PM

User image

Elite
The Galloway method is what I used in my last marathon and ever since for all distances. For me the mental element is what I love in that I only ever have to run for x mins before I get to walk again! Now riddle me this Pete Jacobs is doing the Boston marathon and Maccas coach says its crazy as the damage done in a marathon is way harder to recover from than an IM or HIM? He said Pete will need 8 weeks to recover fully. Wonder what the theory is behind that...
2013-03-25 2:14 PM
in reply to: #4673723

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 4:02 AM

Well, you are still using the same muscles while maintaining forward motion. It's not like marathon pace is us all out running.  I'd see it more as a break aerobically. 

That's the thing. It's what Jeff claims, but there just isn't any good science to back it up.

That doesn't mean it isn't possibly true, but it would be for other reasons. It IS a very well-defined effort break and mental break.

Also, most beginner runners--and some intermediate-ish runners, like me--pretty much have one run pace. Slow. Physiologically, my running pace, if it were any slower, would be a walk. I can actually run a 17-minute mile. Especially if it's slidy slippery gravelly rocky ground going uphill. But even if not.

2013-03-25 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4673501

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 12:16 PM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:07 PM
bcraht - 2013-03-26 1:52 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 9:17 AM

This  is from Galloways website.  I guess I am just a little bit at a loss of where to go/start.  Other than when I first started running, I have never been away from running this long (so that I feel like I am starting completely from the beginning).  I did a program through the Running Room for my first (well, only) marathon, and they do run 10/walk 1 min for all runs (their take on run/walk).  I took a bit of time off after the mary, then when I went back to training, I sort of 'forgot' about the walk breaks and ran only.  That worked fine.  Now coming back from injury, my PT wanted me to start back with run/walk just to ease in.  She is fine with going to full runs ultimately, but I did pretty well with run walk so am considering going back to it.  I dunno.  

I would like someone to send me to the website www.kirstenscomingbackfrominjuryrunprogram.com

So start back with run/walk. Do whatever kind of a ratio lets you do the whole distance/time easy, doing the run part easy and the walk part easy to moderate. The exact ratio really isn't important (unless you are truly doing a Galloway plan for a specific race to the T, which you're not).

This part I do agree with Jeff on, though; if you're going to do a run/walk ratio that can be broken down to a shorter-run but equivalent whole-minute ratio, then do the shorter-run one.

For example: rather than 10:2, do 5:1. (I don't think I saw any of those in your examples though).

His programs just seem SO minimal. 

I get what he is saying about the walk breaks/ratios. And that is totally fine. But I don't think he is setting anyone up for success. If he spent more time having you actually run, I doubt you would need as much walking. I dunno ... I don't like it at all. If you are not ready to commit to the demand of marathon training time, don't do a marathon. 

Kirsten, I am not speaking to you. Just to his marathon plan. So don't get me wrong.

You need to do what you need to do in order to stay healthy and progressively ramp up your volume.

I've thought about it like that as well, but actually, because his marathon plan calls for something like a 30 mile training run/walk, that's serious time, especially with the walking. He's all about covering the distance, without injury. So, for Kirsten or anyone else being cautious or coming back from an injury, I think he is spot on.

Otherwise, and this is from reading his book, I think that some of the issues he brings forward can be taken care of with proper pacing. By "proper" I mean, pacing that is appropriate for a particular runner. For instance, my 12 year old and I can both easily run a 10 minute mile. I run the whole thing. He sprints, then walks, then sprints, and walks. I keep harping on him: pacing, pacing, pacing.

That being said, I still walk quickly through water stations on long runs (although not in training very much), not so much for the rest but because I don't want water poured all over myself. I am not very graceful.

2013-03-25 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4673739

User image

Melon Presser

jobaxas - 2013-03-26 4:12 AM The Galloway method is what I used in my last marathon and ever since for all distances. For me the mental element is what I love in that I only ever have to run for x mins before I get to walk again! Now riddle me this Pete Jacobs is doing the Boston marathon and Maccas coach says its crazy as the damage done in a marathon is way harder to recover from than an IM or HIM? He said Pete will need 8 weeks to recover fully. Wonder what the theory is behind that...

The Galloway method? Or just run-walk?

2013-03-25 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4673528

User image

Master
Central Kansas
rrrunner - 2013-03-25 12:29 PM

JANYNE IS A ROCK STAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't get to try the Clover coffee because of a snowstorm in Denver Yell

I didn't get to run this weekend because of a snowstorm in Denver Yell

I am in a lousy taper-PMS mood Yell

I would love some yummy Indonesian coffee Frown

I leave for O'side in 3 days Undecided

My MIL is a saint

Well, better PMS now than later, I guess.

I hate tapering. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

I am very excited about Oceanside for you. It is going to be amazing!!!

2013-03-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4673732

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
KansasMom - 2013-03-25 3:08 PM

Running Question...

I am now following my "planned training" and have been swimming / biking / and running.  Had a great week of training - and am running further than my plan calls for (comfortably) and cycling a bit more also.  No worries there.  

I want to run my final pure running race (The Eugene 1/2 marathon) on 4/28/13.  This race finishes at Hayward Field (home of the Olympic Trials) on the University of Oregon Campus.  Since I bleed Yellow & Green, I've been looking forward to this race for a while. I plan to try and PR this race.  

I have put together the following RUN training plan.  I will be doing this along side my bike and swimming workouts that are scheduled in my "planned" workouts.  I need to know if this is plan I put together is crazy (builds to fast), or doable... Thanks for your help.  

You have the long run building from 8, 9, 10, and 12, and then 13.1 on race day. You're younger than I am and maybe can do that, but I find that I need to build for two weeks and then step back and then build again. So, using your numbers,  the increase in the long runs would look something like this: 8, 9, 7, 9, 10, 8, 10, 11, 9, 11, 12, 10, etc . . . Granted, to get up to 13.1, you'd need more time doing it that way.

I also agree with Salty that optimum training would be to have a long run longer than 13.1. I haven't had the luxury of doing that yet (time, illness, etc), but I see the wisdom in it. Galloway, in the marathon book I have, points out that it's not a coincidence that runners hit "the wall" precisely at their longest training run, which is why he is critical of marathon plans which have 23 or 24 miles as the longest training run. (I will also add that the Hal Higdon novice half marathon plan has a long training run of 10 miles -- right where I usually hit some kind of wall at the 13.1 distance.)

I think it is important to keep the plan's objective in mind. I did Higdon novice a couple of times, which will get you to the finish of a HM. I then went plan free after that, well, not really, just home grown/halfa$$ from a few other plans. This last race had the most planning and prep. I did a number of 10 & 11 mile runs in my build, with my longest pre race run at 12 miles.  I can see the value in longer runs, especially depending on your goal.

For me, the only goals in the past two years have been improvement and enjoyment. It has really been 2 years of base building for me.  So any advice you hear from me is tempered with that as my point of view.  Although, I do find all of the discussions interesting.

2013-03-25 2:18 PM
in reply to: #4673747

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2013-03-25 2:15 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 12:16 PM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:07 PM
bcraht - 2013-03-26 1:52 AM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-25 9:17 AM

This  is from Galloways website.  I guess I am just a little bit at a loss of where to go/start.  Other than when I first started running, I have never been away from running this long (so that I feel like I am starting completely from the beginning).  I did a program through the Running Room for my first (well, only) marathon, and they do run 10/walk 1 min for all runs (their take on run/walk).  I took a bit of time off after the mary, then when I went back to training, I sort of 'forgot' about the walk breaks and ran only.  That worked fine.  Now coming back from injury, my PT wanted me to start back with run/walk just to ease in.  She is fine with going to full runs ultimately, but I did pretty well with run walk so am considering going back to it.  I dunno.  

I would like someone to send me to the website www.kirstenscomingbackfrominjuryrunprogram.com

So start back with run/walk. Do whatever kind of a ratio lets you do the whole distance/time easy, doing the run part easy and the walk part easy to moderate. The exact ratio really isn't important (unless you are truly doing a Galloway plan for a specific race to the T, which you're not).

This part I do agree with Jeff on, though; if you're going to do a run/walk ratio that can be broken down to a shorter-run but equivalent whole-minute ratio, then do the shorter-run one.

For example: rather than 10:2, do 5:1. (I don't think I saw any of those in your examples though).

His programs just seem SO minimal. 

I get what he is saying about the walk breaks/ratios. And that is totally fine. But I don't think he is setting anyone up for success. If he spent more time having you actually run, I doubt you would need as much walking. I dunno ... I don't like it at all. If you are not ready to commit to the demand of marathon training time, don't do a marathon. 

Kirsten, I am not speaking to you. Just to his marathon plan. So don't get me wrong.

You need to do what you need to do in order to stay healthy and progressively ramp up your volume.

I've thought about it like that as well, but actually, because his marathon plan calls for something like a 30 mile training run/walk, that's serious time, especially with the walking. He's all about covering the distance, without injury. So, for Kirsten or anyone else being cautious or coming back from an injury, I think he is spot on.

Otherwise, and this is from reading his book, I think that some of the issues he brings forward can be taken care of with proper pacing. By "proper" I mean, pacing that is appropriate for a particular runner. For instance, my 12 year old and I can both easily run a 10 minute mile. I run the whole thing. He sprints, then walks, then sprints, and walks. I keep harping on him: pacing, pacing, pacing.

That being said, I still walk quickly through water stations on long runs (although not in training very much), not so much for the rest but because I don't want water poured all over myself. I am not very graceful.

I still am not sold. But we can agree to disagree. I'd never ever recommend one of his plans other than the case that Yanti stated about long enduro-marches and maybe within an IM plan. 

2013-03-25 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4673545

User image

Master
Central Kansas
cdban66 - 2013-03-25 12:36 PM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:45 PM

Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 1:37 AM Sooo, I'm starting a gradual 3 week taper. I am asking you all to help me make GOOD decisions and not be tempted to fill my extra time with things like mountain climbing, snowboarding and all night dance parties. With the exception of this coming weekend, I get a free pass. 

So where's my invite to the all-night dance party then?

Actually, it is a dance party, mountain climbing, snowboarding invite that you should be receiving.

It is probably in the mail

The mom in me is quite displeased with these two ideas for Adrienne at this time. Dance party, I give my approval.

2013-03-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: #4673754

User image

Seattle
cdban66 - 2013-03-25 2:18 PM
KansasMom - 2013-03-25 3:08 PM

Running Question...

I think it is important to keep the plan's objective in mind. I did Higdon novice a couple of times, which will get you to the finish of a HM. I then went plan free after that, well, not really, just home grown/halfa$$ from a few other plans. This last race had the most planning and prep. I did a number of 10 & 11 mile runs in my build, with my longest pre race run at 12 miles.  I can see the value in longer runs, especially depending on your goal.

For me, the only goals in the past two years have been improvement and enjoyment. It has really been 2 years of base building for me.  So any advice you hear from me is tempered with that as my point of view.  Although, I do find all of the discussions interesting.

Yeah, and all of the advice I gave was definitely with the "I want to PR" lens. 

2013-03-25 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4673760

User image

Seattle
KansasMom - 2013-03-25 2:19 PM
cdban66 - 2013-03-25 12:36 PM
TriAya - 2013-03-25 12:45 PM

Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 1:37 AM Sooo, I'm starting a gradual 3 week taper. I am asking you all to help me make GOOD decisions and not be tempted to fill my extra time with things like mountain climbing, snowboarding and all night dance parties. With the exception of this coming weekend, I get a free pass. 

So where's my invite to the all-night dance party then?

Actually, it is a dance party, mountain climbing, snowboarding invite that you should be receiving.

It is probably in the mail

The mom in me is quite displeased with these two ideas for Adrienne at this time. Dance party, I give my approval.

Heh heh, thanks mom! Nah, I won't be doing those things ... or I will try not to. But I do have a bday celebration so the dancing is a must. 

I seriously do get all caught up during taper though. I think, "Oh I have all this extra time! I should make up for all the stuff I have had to say no to ..."

2013-03-25 2:23 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Crap, Salty. I keep replying to your texts so some poor (or lucky) sap in Tonga or San Francisco or Malta is getting the highly inappropriate scantily-if-at-all clad pics.

That was too hard and long to write in lolspk so I posted it here.

2013-03-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: #4673772

User image

Seattle
TriAya - 2013-03-25 2:23 PM

Crap, Salty. I keep replying to your texts so some poor (or lucky) sap in Tonga or San Francisco or Malta is getting the highly inappropriate scantily-if-at-all clad pics.

lolz

Welp, gotta make SOMEONE's day. May as well be a Tongan! 

2013-03-25 2:30 PM
in reply to: #4673744

User image

Master
Central Kansas
TriAya - 2013-03-25 2:14 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 4:02 AM

That's the thing. It's what Jeff claims, but there just isn't any good science to back it up.

This. I don't know. Like I said, I am also a bit skeptical. I still read the book, but I'm not sure I bought the philosophy a hundred percent as a way of running life. (Well, obviously, I didn't because I don't train using his method.) For injury prevention and for just getting out there and finishing with a group of friends . . . I think it could work. But personally, I don't like to walk if I don't have to (like drinking water -- see previous comment about gracefulness.)

2013-03-25 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4673758

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 4:18 AM

I still am not sold. But we can agree to disagree. I'd never ever recommend one of his plans other than the case that Yanti stated about long enduro-marches and maybe within an IM plan. 

BTW I would not (I can't say never, but mostly not) recommend a Galloway plan for the run part of triathlon training, especially distance. His plans are (basically, but with a lot of very important provisos) two 30-45min training runs per week and one progressively longer (with some cutbacks esp. once into the teens) run each weekend, going up to 26mi for the marathon-prep long run.

Way too much recovery required from those long runs.

He does allow for cross-training, but basically it'd be just enough to "just finish" sprint distances of S/B, although truth be told if one can swim in the day's conditions and bike, one can probably "just finish" an Oly, maybe even an HIM without really training.

Run:walk is another thing altogether.

2013-03-25 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4673778

User image

Melon Presser
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 4:27 AM

lolz

Thongin' for the Tongan.

2013-03-25 2:36 PM

User image

Seattle

Have we totally screwed up your RR writing with all this talk?

If not, we can always move on to the Hanson's Method Wink

2013-03-25 2:37 PM
in reply to: #4673795

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
TriAya - 2013-03-25 3:34 PM
Asalzwed - 2013-03-26 4:27 AM

lolz

Thongin' for the Tongan.

OK, now I gotta make sure some people have my cell #!!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mental Manatee Mentors Part 3--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 85