BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-08-05 10:44 AM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
URGH MONDAYS.

2nd to last day in PT. I'm kind of stretching it out. Big party on Wednesday! YAY!

Still wiped out from my little sprint yesterday but here's the RR for your viewing pleasure
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Off road sprint series tomorrow. As the weeks go on I move more to the EXCITED end of the sliding scale and away from the APPREHENSIVE end.

Have a good day all.

2013-08-05 1:49 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by chapfallen
Jamie - from what you've described about your "digestive" issues on the bike, it sounds like you may be working a little hard? If you're fine with the gu on the run, but not the bike that's the most likely reason. I had a lot of bloating on the bike last year from using sports drinks because I was worrying about drinking enough, so I switched to solid food so that I could deal with hydration and nutrition separately, and that worked a lot better for me this year. I still had a few issues on the run, but I think I was trying a little too hard to stay on top of it, and got carried away. It's still a work in progress...

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't think I'm working too hard on the bike, well, let me re-phrase that. When I'm normally riding, I follow my HR and don't work too hard. Now, on Saturday's ride, I gained a few thousand feet and there were some tough climbs, so that was definitely a factor.

Can I ask what solids you use during your race?
2013-08-05 6:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Denton

My #1 choice are Amrita bars ... Raw, Plant-Based, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, Nut-Free, Soy-Free, Non-GMO

http://amritahealthfoods.com

My #2 choice are Larabars

Both of those are easy on the stomach and taste good!

Edited by d3term1ned 2013-08-05 6:26 PM
2013-08-05 6:29 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I like Bonk Breakers, too. The almond butter one is yummy.
2013-08-06 6:36 AM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Morning Gang.

I'm in a funk.  Went to the doctor yesterday with what I thought was a simple issue that would require antibiotics.  Instead I was referred of to a second doctor and had a procedure that requires me to be out of commission for a minimum of 4-5 days while I heal up.  This is one of my biggest volume weeks leading into IM WI and to top it off I had my only Olympic distance race this weekend.  I'm feeling very behind in OWS and it is the one thing that the doctor stressed I must not do until things are fully resolved for fear of a worse infection. I'll listen to that advice for sure, but part of me is weighing whether I do the IM or just focus on getting healthy and getting ready to head to Africa which is two days after the race.  Ugh.  Not what I hoped to be doing during this time.

On the topic of solids, I did try to introduce a Nature Valley Granola Bar or Cliff Bar into my training rides again this year because I was getting hungry the last half.  I didn't like how they sat in my stomach even with extra water so I am back to 100% liquids for the whole race.

2013-08-06 7:16 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Suzy,

Sorry to hear about the health issues.

If there is one thing that this last month has taught me, sometimes a forced few days off, even during what is supposed to be a huge training week, might be a good thing. I was so bummed when I could not train because of my neck but the few days of forced inactivity helped my body to heal, my brain to get back in to it, and for me to realize how much I enjoy doing this. It also reset my expectations heading in to last Sunday which I think helped me have a better race.

I guess what I am trying to say (and I don't really know how serious your health issue is), don't give up on the IM quite yet. Your overall body of fitness is going to get you to the start line in shape to do this race. If you can't do the race, at this point there is no difference between pulling the plug now versus just a few days before the race, unless of course you can still get a lodging refund.

I hope you heal up soon.

2013-08-06 7:37 AM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Suzy, so sorry to hear about your medical issues. I feel totally unqualified to give any advice on whether or not to push for your IM, but I completely sympathize and hope things clear up well!
2013-08-06 7:38 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Michael & Nancy, thanks for the suggestions on solid foods. I'll definitely check those out!
2013-08-06 8:12 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by wannabefaster

If there is one thing that this last month has taught me, sometimes a forced few days off, even during what is supposed to be a huge training week, might be a good thing. I was so bummed when I could not train because of my neck but the few days of forced inactivity helped my body to heal, my brain to get back in to it, and for me to realize how much I enjoy doing this. It also reset my expectations heading in to last Sunday which I think helped me have a better race.

I guess what I am trying to say (and I don't really know how serious your health issue is), don't give up on the IM quite yet. Your overall body of fitness is going to get you to the start line in shape to do this race. If you can't do the race, at this point there is no difference between pulling the plug now versus just a few days before the race, unless of course you can still get a lodging refund.

I hope you heal up soon.

So sorry Suzy - heal up.

I don't have any real advice (no experience yet with that level of training) but this advice seems to make sense to me. If you can still do it, I would - just maybe change your expectations a bit. If nothing else, just doing another IM for the experience sounds like a good idea to me.

For now get the procedure done, rest up and think about it
2013-08-06 8:29 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Suzy-I think Jason is right. A few days will not make a difference in the big picture. I was off for 3-4 days due to a bike wreck 10 days out from my 70.3 "A" race and was fine come race day. Same with Jason recently with his neck issues and he killed it in Boulder. If you can get this behind you I think you will be more than ready for IM.  I know that I get so obsessed with getting my workouts done and hitting certain intervals that I forget that it is the weeks, months and years of training that carry us through on race day. You are an experienced triathlete and you will be ready. 

Crazy busy week for me so far. Work and trying to get ready to go out of town for race this weekend.

2013-08-06 8:36 AM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Suzy -- I hope you don't mind me butting in here. I had issues leading up to IMWI last year that forced less prep than I would have liked. I did the race and I'm glad I did. My one regret is that I did not appropriately downgrade expectations and, more important, did not adjust properly to my new-found nutrition problems, and as a result I had some very very dark moments during the race. But I was thrilled by the end, and so glad I did it.

Of course, don't seriously jeopardize long-term health, but that's an issue for you and your doctor. If it's just a matter of race preparation, I'd do the race. You know what you're in for. (If you were an IM newbie it might be a different matter.)

2013-08-06 10:49 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Expert

Hello all, been away for a bit. I am unfortunately unable to do IM WI next month due to unforseen circumstances. I agonized over this last month and have now mentally put it behind me (well as best I can). I was forced to make some tough decisions. I will do some smaller events and group rides to take its place this fall. I was on pace with great training up to a few weeks ago. Fortunately I am still maintaining a good base and will focus my energies on IM AZ. I wish we did not have to sign up a year in advance for these things!!!

Sorry I have been away so long! I miss you guys! Jim
2013-08-06 10:52 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jim-sorry to hear about IMWI. Glad to have you checking in.
2013-08-06 11:04 AM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by jimmyb

Hello all, been away for a bit. I am unfortunately unable to do IM WI next month due to unforseen circumstances. I agonized over this last month and have now mentally put it behind me (well as best I can). I was forced to make some tough decisions. I will do some smaller events and group rides to take its place this fall. I was on pace with great training up to a few weeks ago. Fortunately I am still maintaining a good base and will focus my energies on IM AZ. I wish we did not have to sign up a year in advance for these things!!!

Sorry I have been away so long! I miss you guys! Jim

We missed you too. Hope everything is ok and back on track for you.

Fall is my favorite time of year for outdoor activities. Enjoy your rides and events.

So it's Tuesday and the 2nd to last of my offroad tri series. The weather is beautiful and I'm psyched. I'm pretty easily distracted at work - and Tuesdays are the worst

Have a good day all!
2013-08-06 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Jamie - from what you've described about your "digestive" issues on the bike, it sounds like you may be working a little hard? If you're fine with the gu on the run, but not the bike that's the most likely reason. I had a lot of bloating on the bike last year from using sports drinks because I was worrying about drinking enough, so I switched to solid food so that I could deal with hydration and nutrition separately, and that worked a lot better for me this year. I still had a few issues on the run, but I think I was trying a little too hard to stay on top of it, and got carried away. It's still a work in progress...

Thanks for the suggestion! I don't think I'm working too hard on the bike, well, let me re-phrase that. When I'm normally riding, I follow my HR and don't work too hard. Now, on Saturday's ride, I gained a few thousand feet and there were some tough climbs, so that was definitely a factor.

To go completely against what most people do, I used "real" food. I mostly ate Hobnobs, which are a kind of oat based cookie (I'd call it a biscuit, but that would probably confuse you!). And then I had some vegemite sandwiches (vegemite is yeast extract - it's very savoury, so a good break from all the sweet you get in sports nutrtition) and I also had a couple of half bananas from the aid stations.

The hobnobs happened because I had a long ride after we'd been away for a week and hadn't quite got on top of the grocery shopping. I had to go out for a 5 hour ride and they were the only thing we had in the cupboard. I took them with me and had one every 20 minutes. I didn't realise until after the ride that I hadn't been hungry for the entire ride (or for about an hour after including a short OWS) and hadn't run out of energy at any point. So what had been an emergency food option turned into my race nutrition plan. It was all a it last minute, so I hadn't figured the amounts out as well as I could have, but it seemed to work well for me on the day.
2013-08-06 11:56 AM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by slornow

Suzy-I think Jason is right. A few days will not make a difference in the big picture. I was off for 3-4 days due to a bike wreck 10 days out from my 70.3 "A" race and was fine come race day. Same with Jason recently with his neck issues and he killed it in Boulder. If you can get this behind you I think you will be more than ready for IM.  I know that I get so obsessed with getting my workouts done and hitting certain intervals that I forget that it is the weeks, months and years of training that carry us through on race day. You are an experienced triathlete and you will be ready. 

Crazy busy week for me so far. Work and trying to get ready to go out of town for race this weekend.

Suzy - I agree completely with Jason and Randy. I took a week off work to get some high volume training in, and was going to run every day to get my mileage up. Then I hurt my foot and couldn't run at all that week. I felt like I'd lost my one chance to get my running up to standard. But the rest obviously did me some good because when I got my foot sorted and got back into it I was actually running better than I had before the break. It's so easy to feel "behind" in IM training, but as Randy says, it's the total of your training that gets you through on the day, not the individual sessions or weeks. Think of this period as a mini taper, to allow you to prepare for the rest of the hard training you have ahead. And you WILL be ready.

2013-08-06 4:58 PM

User image

Suzy, I wouldn't worry too much about having to stop a few days, it's for your health and you 'kinda' don't have a choice so might as well enjoy the break without stressing out too much.

Finally wrote my RR http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/Races/Reports/link-details.aspx?i...

Went to my swim today and ha another 'moment' when something clicked about my body moving in the water and I actually started to feel like I was gliding without putting that much effort in. It happened when we were doing 4x 50m at a fast pace and I asked the coach what would be the best way to speed up without losing form and he said something along the lines of:: you can increase your turnover slightly but think about it like the bike, if you want to go faster you change gears and the power feels different. Just really worked for me
2013-08-06 8:27 PM

User image

Expert

Originally posted by slornow

Suzy - I agree completely with Jason and Randy. I took a week off work to get some high volume training in, and was going to run every day to get my mileage up. Then I hurt my foot and couldn't run at all that week. I felt like I'd lost my one chance to get my running up to standard. But the rest obviously did me some good because when I got my foot sorted and got back into it I was actually running better than I had before the break. It's so easy to feel "behind" in IM training, but as Randy says, it's the total of your training that gets you through on the day, not the individual sessions or weeks. Think of this period as a mini taper, to allow you to prepare for the rest of the hard training you have ahead. And you WILL be ready.

Words I need to listen to. I always feel behind in IM training. I struggle getting in high volume weeks, just doesn't work with the rest of my life. One thing I do have on my side, however is consistency. This is a good and needed reminder for me.

I PR'ed my personal course tonight. Avg 20.6 for 45 miles! Mix of rolling hills and a few long climbs. Definitely making progress, I need nights like this. Funny thing is I was off work all day and felt like crap for most of the day. Napped all afternoon and my muscles felt achy, Little did I know I had this ride in store. I guess I don't always know how to read my body.

2013-08-07 1:24 AM

User image

Calgary, AB

Originally posted by chapfallen To go completely against what most people do, I used "real" food. I mostly ate Hobnobs, which are a kind of oat based cookie (I'd call it a biscuit, but that would probably confuse you!). And then I had some vegemite sandwiches (vegemite is yeast extract - it's very savoury, so a good break from all the sweet you get in sports nutrtition) and I also had a couple of half bananas from the aid stations. The hobnobs happened because I had a long ride after we'd been away for a week and hadn't quite got on top of the grocery shopping. I had to go out for a 5 hour ride and they were the only thing we had in the cupboard. I took them with me and had one every 20 minutes. I didn't realise until after the ride that I hadn't been hungry for the entire ride (or for about an hour after including a short OWS) and hadn't run out of energy at any point. So what had been an emergency food option turned into my race nutrition plan. It was all a it last minute, so I hadn't figured the amounts out as well as I could have, but it seemed to work well for me on the day.

Three cheers for real food!  (though Rachel kind of undermined her own point by counting vegemite as real food...)

I'm not going nearly as long yet (3 hrs max), but have been using Nature Valley granola bars, mixed nuts, and even Oreo cookies Smile    What can I say, I have a sweet tooth...    The granola bars are my go-to food -- completed my Olys with them -- no GI issues.  I was slow, but can't blame the food for that.   Only caution I took was to finish the bars at least 10-15 minutes before T2.

Scott.

2013-08-07 5:51 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by tatous

Went to my swim today and ha another 'moment' when something clicked about my body moving in the water and I actually started to feel like I was gliding without putting that much effort in. It happened when we were doing 4x 50m at a fast pace and I asked the coach what would be the best way to speed up without losing form and he said something along the lines of:: you can increase your turnover slightly but think about it like the bike, if you want to go faster you change gears and the power feels different. Just really worked for me

Love the A HA moments!

btw, Suzy - I know you said you are going to Africa - I don't know what airport you are flying into but please use caution!!
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/world/africa/kenya-airport-fire/

Had my 2nd to last off road tri last night. It was usual, slow swim, fast bike, slow run. Oh well. I love the bike portion so I keep beating myself up - literally because MAN am I sore today. edited post to add my RR http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Next event is a 5K on Saturday while on vacation. I'll be away from Friday through Tuesday. Behave while I'm gone! 2 more work days!

Have a good Wednesday. Oh and I graduate from PT today. YAYAAAAAAAA

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-08-07 10:01 AM
2013-08-07 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk
Originally posted by tatous Went to my swim today and ha another 'moment' when something clicked about my body moving in the water and I actually started to feel like I was gliding without putting that much effort in. It happened when we were doing 4x 50m at a fast pace and I asked the coach what would be the best way to speed up without losing form and he said something along the lines of:: you can increase your turnover slightly but think about it like the bike, if you want to go faster you change gears and the power feels different. Just really worked for me
Love the A HA moments! btw, Suzy - I know you said you are going to Africa - I don't know what airport you are flying into but please use caution!! http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/07/world/africa/kenya-airport-fire/Had my 2nd to last off road tri last night. It was usual, slow swim, fast bike, slow run. Oh well. I love the bike portion so I keep beating myself up - literally because MAN am I sore today. Next event is a 5K on Saturday while on vacation. I'll be away from Friday through Tuesday. Behave while I'm gone! 2 more work days! Have a good Wednesday. Oh and I graduate from PT today. YAYAAAAAAAA

Hi Gang!

Thanks for passing the info along on the airport.  We are flying into Johannesburg so at least we won't have that to worry about.

Really appreciate all of the advice from the group on how to move forward with IM training.  Had doctor appointment #4 today and things are moving in the right direction, but I need to remain patient.  I have been cleared to run and maybe OWS over the weekend. Biking is still out until I am thoroughly healed.  Once I have a sense of that timing, I think I can move forward with a plan.  There is something freeing about revising a goal based on circumstances, but I am reluctant to give up my sub 13 after having a mechanical in '11 and kidney issues in '12 where it was a real possibility.   I know I have it in me and I want to lay it out there since there will be no IM in my plan for next year. Hope that makes sense to more than just me.  

One more appointment tomorrow and then we're off to start our shortened Minocqua vacation!! 

Edited by SSMinnow 2013-08-07 9:21 AM

2013-08-07 4:04 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am currently in Northern Michigan. We were home for less than 24 hours from Boulder before we headed up North. It is pretty darn fantastic up here and I am planning on training like mad until we return home.

This morning's bike ride was pretty spectacular and I swam well over a mile in Lake Michigan this afternoon. For the first time in a long time I feel like my body is ready to really push. It is amazing what exceeding your own expectations in a race can do for your psyche. I don't think anything has changed from a week ago but I feel so much better--just like after my subpar Tremblant performance had me rethinking triathlon participation.

Sometimes it is so hard to ride out the highs and lows of training and racing. The big picture of triathlon as a way of life is sometimes easy to lose sight of when the results aren't what we want or an injury comes along. But I identify myself as a triathlete now and no matter how much I occasionally moan and groan, I am in this sport for the long haul.
2013-08-07 5:08 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
2013-08-07 6:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Boulder 70.3 race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Two things:
1. Lesson learned: Is over-drinking a new pre-race technique? You could pioneer it.
2. I simply can't believe you ran a 1:32 in a HIM. That's just mind-boggling to me. Seriously, I bow down.
2013-08-07 6:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Man, today was just great. I'm at the beginning of my taper for IM Lou, and I've wondered how I'll handle it. Fortunately, this week isn't all that much of a change, but the little differences are nice. Today, for instance, I had a :45/:30 transition workout, which is a change from :60/:30. Honestly, I can't believe I ran 35 miles and biked 110 miles last weekend, my legs just felt fresh the whole time. It was one of the best runs I've had in a long time, just effortless with a good HR. It was actually fun. I just missed the rain, which is a rarity nowadays. However, I'll definitely take 80s and cloudy in Louisville!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88