BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 121

2010-05-18 10:18 PM
in reply to: #2769226

Expert
Subject: RE: Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED!
thanks josh for the input.

Well it looks like a have an issue with my Psoas. Recomendation is to not do anything that hurts it for at least 7-10 days.  Having a minor freak out here..as these next 6 weeks were my peak training. But i have to remember there are more DNS than DNF..so i need to mkae it to Mirror Lake in 1 piece

2010-05-18 10:46 PM
in reply to: #2867015

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
PennState - 2010-05-18 5:17 PM How was everyone's training today?

Was able to squeeze 1,800 meters in the pool in during lunch. Still pretty exhausted from my trip so was just happy to get the swim in. 
2010-05-18 10:52 PM
in reply to: #2865746

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
WittyCityGirl - 2010-05-18 8:59 AM So, I'm recovering (recovered?) from weirdo groin/ab hurty issues.  I have an oly distance race this weekend and I'm super stoked to just get my feet wet and enjoy the day.  Don't worry, my goal is to do NOTHING stupid!

So, with JUST two months to go to Lake Placid and I've had minimal training of any sort over the last 4 weeks...where should my concerns be?

The swimming will not be an issue.  I'm thinking that I should focus as best I can on biking and transitioning to the run with runs and swims supporting my training.  I really learned my lesson.  I want to finish this race so I'm not going to unnecessarily freak out any more about pace & volume.  Besides, I'll have a better race day showing up not injured than having forced myself through long training sessions.

Sara, 

I would definately focus on the bike.  For first timers the most important thing about an IM is the bike.  Over 50% of your race will be on the bike and no one can predict how their legs will react after a 2.4 mile swim and 112 bike.  While I don't condone walking as a strategy, you have come to terms that you may not have the legs after hours in the saddle.  Getting off the bike and having 8+ hours to finish the run is good insurance.

Good luck, and all you IMLP people remember, do as I say, not as I do...
2010-05-18 11:01 PM
in reply to: #2867015

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-05-18 8:17 PM How was everyone's training today?

I managed a short bike this morning.  The evening was spent finalizing the housing arrangments out here in CA.  Complex includes an olympic size pool so at least I will have that.  Just need to up the hours per week to reach the plan hours!!

2010-05-18 11:23 PM

User image

Expert
I went for a 5k run with the wife last night and my legs felt good after my sprint. Followed it up with a 2.65 mile run tonight on the treadmill at the gym and a 8 mile stationary bike ride. I need to get a bike light/tail light and a new pair of bike shorts so I can get out and ride after work. My training hours have been down the last few weeks because I've been focusing on the 5k run and that is only about 35 min a day. I would like to get my time up to over an hour a day average.
2010-05-18 11:45 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
So this last week has been a mixed bag... 

I started a new 12 week training block, very conservative, and my only goal was to make every workout.  So last week, I do a 2 mile easy run on the treadmill, go for a swim, and I get out of pool and my left achilles just tightened like a knot for 10 seconds.  It pulsed in minor pain the rest of the night but has been okay since.  Still I'm not going to test it.   I was so pissed that after 3 days into my new schedule I'm already hurt.  No more running for 2 weeks.

After that happened I started to get concerned about my 'career' in the sport and if my body is going to let me do another IM.  My achilles and peroneus have been hurting me since October and they just seem to keep coming back.  I was pretty depressed that first night.  It would be one thing going out after finishing an IM but going out this way would not be a good thing.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So then I did some research...

In August I started going to the Chiropractor for neck problems from poor swim form.  He said my hips were misaligned and worked on aligning them.  After he worked on them for about 5 sessions they definately felt realigned (I was in pain the first few times) and he said they were probably out for 20+ years. 

After this realignment I noticed my left foot was landing directly on the ball of the foot each strike, and then I would supinate to the outer part of the foot.  After my 'adjustment' I was landing at a different angle and after 20 years my feet formed to land with crooked hips.  

After doing some Googling, I noticed a correlation between peroneus pain, achilles tendonosis, and landing on the ball of the foot first.  Its what we (we being doctors and know it alls like me) call a Plantarflexed 1st Metatarsal.  Although I'm against orthodics, (or used to be) a Reverse Morton's Extension is used to alleviate this, so I made my own orthotic and so far my peroneus pain is gone.  I'm also hoping there is a non surgical way to realign the feet.  So far no luck.

My wife thinks I'm a moron for doing all this but I told her that no one is more qualified to diagnose a foot than someone who's ran 10,000 miles on them and she seemed to see my point.   I do plan on seeing a podiatrist about this as well.  I'm hopeful this will fix alot of my issues with the run. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than that I've been doing good on the bike, I keep setting PR's on my local course which is good.  Even without the aerobars I've been killing it. I've been putting in a ton of miles and I've been feeling really strong.  I'll start doing group rides once my leg feels right which hopefully will be in a week or 2.

Pretty soon I'll be strong enough to take out Minicapie, a guy I see occasionally who just blows by me like I'm Betty White.  He looks just like George Hincapie, only smaller, hence Minicapie.  The guy is wicked fast though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My stopwatch died but I get the feeling my swimming is getting alot better.  I'm almost perfectly balanced on both sides now I just need to keep my head perfectly aligned and get a better catch.  I really think the drills are helping alot. 

2010-05-18 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2867351

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
dharris13 - 2010-05-18 8:18 PM thanks josh for the input.

Well it looks like a have an issue with my Psoas. Recomendation is to not do anything that hurts it for at least 7-10 days.  Having a minor freak out here..as these next 6 weeks were my peak training. But i have to remember there are more DNS than DNF..so i need to mkae it to Mirror Lake in 1 piece

Just take it easy...you killed it at Wildflower and I'm sure you'll do well at IMLP, 7-10 days will not kill you, just relax.
2010-05-18 11:59 PM
in reply to: #2867398

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
kenj - 2010-05-18 9:01 PM

I managed a short bike this morning.  The evening was spent finalizing the housing arrangments out here in CA.  Complex includes an olympic size pool so at least I will have that.  Just need to up the hours per week to reach the plan hours!!

Remember Ken, if you get bored out there in Temecula there's always Mt. Palomar!
2010-05-19 12:29 AM

User image

Expert
I've been enjoying the Amgen Tour of California on Versus this week. I love to watch road cycling on TV. Brings me back to my high school days when I was on Team Panasonic. Go Levi!!!!!!!
2010-05-19 12:37 AM
in reply to: #2867449

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
phxphotog - 2010-05-18 10:29 PM I've been enjoying the Amgen Tour of California on Versus this week. I love to watch road cycling on TV. Brings me back to my high school days when I was on Team Panasonic. Go Levi!!!!!!!

Same here.  I love cycling, the TdF is probably my favorite event outside the Super Bowl.  The cool thing about todays stage was that my dad lived in San Francisco, and my mom on Santa Cruz.  I would take that route every weekend to visit her, and watching it reminds me of how awesome that area is.
2010-05-19 8:07 AM
in reply to: #2867425

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
furiousferret - 2010-05-19 12:45 AM So this last week has been a mixed bag... 

I started a new 12 week training block, very conservative, and my only goal was to make every workout.  So last week, I do a 2 mile easy run on the treadmill, go for a swim, and I get out of pool and my left achilles just tightened like a knot for 10 seconds.  It pulsed in minor pain the rest of the night but has been okay since.  Still I'm not going to test it.   I was so pissed that after 3 days into my new schedule I'm already hurt.  No more running for 2 weeks.

After that happened I started to get concerned about my 'career' in the sport and if my body is going to let me do another IM.  My achilles and peroneus have been hurting me since October and they just seem to keep coming back.  I was pretty depressed that first night.  It would be one thing going out after finishing an IM but going out this way would not be a good thing.

In August I started going to the Chiropractor for neck problems from poor swim form.  He said my hips were misaligned and worked on aligning them.  After he worked on them for about 5 sessions they definately felt realigned (I was in pain the first few times) and he said they were probably out for 20+ years. 

After this realignment I noticed my left foot was landing directly on the ball of the foot each strike, and then I would supinate to the outer part of the foot.  After my 'adjustment' I was landing at a different angle and after 20 years my feet formed to land with crooked hips.  

After doing some Googling, I noticed a correlation between peroneus pain, achilles tendonosis, and landing on the ball of the foot first.  Its what we (we being doctors and know it alls like me) call a Plantarflexed 1st Metatarsal.  Although I'm against orthodics, (or used to be) a Reverse Morton's Extension is used to alleviate this, so I made my own orthotic and so far my peroneus pain is gone.  I'm also hoping there is a non surgical way to realign the feet.  So far no luck.

My wife thinks I'm a moron for doing all this but I told her that no one is more qualified to diagnose a foot than someone who's ran 10,000 miles on them and she seemed to see my point.   I do plan on seeing a podiatrist about this as well.  I'm hopeful this will fix alot of my issues with the run. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other than that I've been doing good on the bike, I keep setting PR's on my local course which is good.  Even without the aerobars I've been killing it. I've been putting in a ton of miles and I've been feeling really strong.  I'll start doing group rides once my leg feels right which hopefully will be in a week or 2.

Pretty soon I'll be strong enough to take out Minicapie, a guy I see occasionally who just blows by me like I'm Betty White.  He looks just like George Hincapie, only smaller, hence Minicapie.  The guy is wicked fast though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My stopwatch died but I get the feeling my swimming is getting alot better.  I'm almost perfectly balanced on both sides now I just need to keep my head perfectly aligned and get a better catch.  I really think the drills are helping alot. 

Man - that's a lot to be juggling/thinking through.  Good luck!

The timing is bad for it, but sometimes an injury forces us to completely heal up and then start over from scratch in full health.  In my own case, a bike crash meant several months completely off.  Prior to that, I had run for years with lower leg pain (shins, arch, etc).  My outside-shin-muscle was always so sensitive that if you had flicked it I would have collapsed.  The bike crash had nothing to do with that part of my body, but when I returned to running (and for the first time ever it was smart run training) I also had no shin pain.  If it hadn't been for that crash, I believe I would have kept in the same cycle of getting injured, letting it heal only 75% (although it felt 100%) and then starting back up again, and then getting re-injured, letting it heal 75% (although it felt 100%) and then...

It is not uncommon for people to get injured after a noticeable change in footstrike.  That's why I think it's probably good that you try to minimize that change through orthotics or modified running form or something right now... even if your long term goal is to learn to strike naturally with your newly aligned hips.  But doing that will probably require the same patience as if you were starting a running program from being a couch potato right now.  It's not too far fetched to say that some of the muscles/tendons/etc may in fact be couch potatos despite the 10,000 miles you've run not using them.

2010-05-19 9:18 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Sounds like you know what you are doing, but be carefull with the achilles!  I have battled issues with mine (successfully) since I started running again.  Not a triathlon death sentence by any means, but when ever I feel tenderness or soreness it is time for some rest, ice and ibupropen.  Knock on wood, this year has been good so far!

2010-05-19 9:20 AM
in reply to: #2867435

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

furiousferret - 2010-05-19 12:59 AM

Remember Ken, if you get bored out there in Temecula there's always Mt. Palomar!

I am not familiar with that, but I will look it up!  It sounds like an epic climb so I am sure my new riding friends will try and drag me up it at some point!  Thanks!  BTW, if you aren't too far maybe we can get together for a ride sometime!

2010-05-19 9:59 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-05-19 10:00 AM

2010-05-19 10:16 AM
in reply to: #2867946

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
kenj - 2010-05-19 9:20 AM

I am not familiar with that, but I will look it up!  It sounds like an epic climb so I am sure my new riding friends will try and drag me up it at some point!  Thanks!  BTW, if you aren't too far maybe we can get together for a ride sometime!

SoCal is a great place for Tri training.  There is a reason San Diego is basically the Tri Meca of the United States, a lot of pros live and train in the area. 

Mt Palomar is a great ride, also look at riding up and down the PCH, normally a lot of bikes and some good hills as well.  LaJolla has some really good hills / climbs that can be worked into the PCH ride. 

2010-05-19 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2868138

Pro
Canandaigua NY

GRB1 - 2010-05-19 11:16 AM
kenj - 2010-05-19 9:20 AM

SoCal is a great place for Tri training.  There is a reason San Diego is basically the Tri Meca of the United States, a lot of pros live and train in the area. 

Mt Palomar is a great ride, also look at riding up and down the PCH, normally a lot of bikes and some good hills as well.  LaJolla has some really good hills / climbs that can be worked into the PCH ride. 

Thanks for the advice!! I am looking forward to learning my way around out here! 

2010-05-19 1:51 PM

Expert

It sounds like you have done A LOT of research and have a plan. always makes me feel better to have a plan
2010-05-19 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2867452

Expert
furiousferret - 2010-05-18 11:37 PM
phxphotog - 2010-05-18 10:29 PM I've been enjoying the Amgen Tour of California on Versus this week. I love to watch road cycling on TV. Brings me back to my high school days when I was on Team Panasonic. Go Levi!!!!!!!

Same here.  I love cycling, the TdF is probably my favorite event outside the Super Bowl.  The cool thing about todays stage was that my dad lived in San Francisco, and my mom on Santa Cruz.  I would take that route every weekend to visit her, and watching it reminds me of how awesome that area is.

I loved the diversity of the scenery yesterday. The finish at the coast was gorgeous. Not a great sprint set up though. Todays should be good because it is relatively flat and has a great setup for a sprint finish. I  say Cav will win the stage.
2010-05-19 7:29 PM

2010-05-19 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2869661

Pro
Canandaigua NY

PennState - 2010-05-19 8:29 PM Ok just got a quick little ride in and then re-joined in the total immersion swimming thread. Anyone have strong feelings on total immersion? pro or con?

I have the book and have used the drills.  I think they have helped with balance in the water and swimming long (reaching not yardage).  I can't say I am a disciplined TI swimmer though.  I really don't have a strong opinion one way or the other.  I think there are people that have certainly benefitted from it, but I think a lot of that is due to the fact that it is the only structure that they have been given or had access to for the swim.  I have used the masters group I swim with as a resource and they are mostly people that have swam since they were in grade school and learned a different way.

ETA: I am impressed, most mentor threads I have been involved with swimming issues were on the first or 2nd page, it took us 68 to start a discussion!

Edited by kenj 2010-05-19 7:56 PM

2010-05-19 9:45 PM

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
I just finished my first brick of the season. 1.5 hour bike and three mile run.  It went surprisingly well. I really didn't feel any worse running then I usually do so I am happySmile.
2010-05-19 11:26 PM
in reply to: #2869661

Master
Redlands, CA
PennState - 2010-05-19 5:29 PM Ok just got a quick little ride in and then re-joined in the total immersion swimming thread. Anyone have strong feelings on total immersion? pro or con?

I can't knock it too much since I learned to swim with TI.  Once I learned the principles and that I could roll to the side, turn my head up and breathe, I was able to go from struggling at 100 yard to 1000 yards literally overnight.

That being said I do find it hard to believe that you should swim easy all the time, and I think going easy may get you to 1:30/100 with perfect form, to get past that I think actual work needs to be involved.

The fast swimmers I know don't take it easy, when I see them in the pool, they are putting in work.  I have yet to see a fast guy train lackadaisically.  Just my opinion though. 
2010-05-19 11:35 PM
in reply to: #2867946

Master
Redlands, CA
kenj - 2010-05-19 7:20 AM

For sure, I'm not sure how long you will be in the State, but you're about 50 miles south of me.  This weekends no good but I think the next few are okay.  I could probably make it down there or you can make it up here; there are some decent rides out here and some decent ones down there.

2010-05-20 1:15 AM
in reply to: #2869901

Expert
Kath2163 - 2010-05-19 8:45 PM I just finished my first brick of the season. 1.5 hour bike and three mile run.  It went surprisingly well. I really didn't feel any worse running then I usually do so I am happySmile.

Very nice workout today.

Don't know if anyone else has watched these videos on BT but I thought they were great. Patrick McCrann from Endurance Nation talks about race day and how important it is to have a plan. For anyone doing a IM or 1/2 IM I think it is great to hear. There are 2 videos and here is the link to # 1

Video #1

Just did a 45 min swim tonight. I really have to get to Master's and start to work on my non-pull buoy or wetsuit swimming. I have about 4 months to get it together before my next OWS Oly.
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Penn State's mentor group - CLOSED! Rss Feed  

of 121