BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-08-07 9:06 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Man, today was just great. I'm at the beginning of my taper for IM Lou, and I've wondered how I'll handle it. Fortunately, this week isn't all that much of a change, but the little differences are nice. Today, for instance, I had a :45/:30 transition workout, which is a change from :60/:30. Honestly, I can't believe I ran 35 miles and biked 110 miles last weekend, my legs just felt fresh the whole time. It was one of the best runs I've had in a long time, just effortless with a good HR. It was actually fun. I just missed the rain, which is a rarity nowadays. However, I'll definitely take 80s and cloudy in Louisville!

Glad to hear it, but just be careful! Tapering can have a funny way of messing with your mind. Posted by ChrisM on another thread:

2013-08-07 9:51 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Love it, Michael!

I also read an Ironman Taper Motivational Story (http://iamtri.com/group/ironman-louisville-2013/forum/topics/ironman-taper-motivational-story) over on iAmTRI. It's a little overly dramatic, but I'll admit, it got me worked up.
2013-08-07 10:36 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-great report. Any chance you can swing down to Milwaukee and race for me Saturday and Sunday.....I could use your speed!

Jamie-you have done it right from the beginning. Consistent gradual build to this point. I suspect during the taper you will feel fantastic somedays and flat on others. Just part of taperitis. Be confident in your preparation and you will have a great day in Louisville.

First leg of my drive to Milwaukee in the books. Mobile to just North of Nashville this evening. On to Milwaukee tomorrow. Kind of a "Perfect Storm" at work this week had me doubting whether I should leave but work will still be there when I get back. Can't wait to feel what 60 degree temps are like again! 

2013-08-08 8:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Experior

Glad to hear it, but just be careful! Tapering can have a funny way of messing with your mind. Posted by ChrisM on another thread:

I started reading this and said to myself "how could you possibly come up with 137 things for your special needs bag?"

OOOOHHHH I get it! LMAO! Good stuff!!

Slept like crap last night so I took today off - it's raining anyway. And I have to work a little late because it's my last day in the office for a week WOO HOO!!

SO have a good week everyone - good luck to our team racing - represent!!

And stay safe.

oh one more thing..... at the Sunday Tri, the pro photographer put up a few freebies on Facebook for the taking. Got a great shot of me that I'm really happy with and my FB page is blowing up over it. NOW I HAVE ARRIVED!!

sorry it's so BIG LOL

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-08-08 8:17 AM

(Greenfield Tri pic.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Greenfield Tri pic.jpg (50KB - 17 downloads)
2013-08-08 11:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

Love it, Michael!

I also read an Ironman Taper Motivational Story (http://iamtri.com/group/ironman-louisville-2013/forum/topics/ironman-taper-motivational-story) over on iAmTRI. It's a little overly dramatic, but I'll admit, it got me worked up.

It may sound overly dramatic, but to be honest, it pretty much represents my two experiences of IM racing...

My favourite quote is this: "Smile when they cheer for you - your body will get just that little bit lighter." I found that to be so true. Just keep smiling :-)
2013-08-08 5:15 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by chapfallen
Originally posted by WoodrowCall Love it, Michael! I also read an Ironman Taper Motivational Story (http://iamtri.com/group/ironman-louisville-2013/forum/topics/ironman-taper-motivational-story) over on iAmTRI. It's a little overly dramatic, but I'll admit, it got me worked up.
It may sound overly dramatic, but to be honest, it pretty much represents my two experiences of IM racing... My favourite quote is this: "Smile when they cheer for you - your body will get just that little bit lighter." I found that to be so true. Just keep smiling :-)

I couldn't agree more.  I find when I do this during races and hard training days it helps.  In fact, I'm doing it now because...

I'm free!  Had my last doctor's appointment today, 6 doctors in 4 days.  I find myself thankful for the care I received.  Living in Madison with access to the University Hospital gives me access to some great doctors.  As a result, I can OWS tomorrow and I can actually ride my bike for a little bit on Saturday.  Woo-Hoo!  Your advice helped me and for that I am thankful too.  IM is ahead of me once again.

Enjoy your weekends!

2013-08-08 5:26 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
I've had issues with mild to moderate jaw pain most of my adult life. It tends to get a little painful when I'm seriously stressed out, which then causes me to grind my teeth. Generally, though, I have no pain most days, just a little clicking in my left temporomandibular joint on my left side which doesn't bother me in the least.

Well...I've been having some major right side jaw pain over the last month. At first, I assumed is was the stress of going back to school. I did a lot of icing, hot compresses, my little stretches, wore my bite guard like a good girl, etc. It just kept coming and going...would almost be normal, then, boom...back to square one, unable to bite down with my molars on the right side and painful. Then a few days would go by and ...boom...here we go again.

After keeping a log for two weeks, I have come to realize that this is being exacerbated by my swimming. I was pain free on Sunday, swam a mile on Monday afternoon, was in pain and couldn't bite on Tuesday morning. Got better Tuesday and Wednesday, was feeling a lot better today, just swam and, blammo...tight, tense and painful.

When I swim, I honestly don't feel as though I have stress in my head and neck. It's possible that I may be trying to look ahead a bit more than I need to, but I really do a good job (according to my swim coach), of keeping my head/neck flat and looking down. My head doesn't ride high, I don't scrunch my shoulders, I don't clench my teeth.

It's possible that it is just associated with fatigue in my shoulder/neck area, but was wondering if anyone who knows more about swimming biomechanics could offer some thoughts or suggestions.
2013-08-08 8:56 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
I have an issue which might be the same. First time I felt it (over 20 years ago) I thought I had an ear infection, but was told it was some sort of TMJ disorder. Stress definitely brings it on.

Did you grow up swimming? I didn't. (I knew how not to drown, but not how to swim.) As a result, I definitely can have a lot of tension when I swim even when I think I don't, and I have experienced this bringing on the TMJ pain. I don't think it is really a swim technique issue (head/neck position), but just a stress issue.
2013-08-08 9:50 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hey folks! Made it to Milwaukee around 4:30pm. Traffic going through Chicago was a mess. Went straight to the race venue and got packets for both races. Downtown is really pretty and it looks to be a good race venue. Plan to go to the practice swim tomorrow, get a short spin in on the bike and drive the bike course. Weather looks great for the weekend...maybe a little cool overnight...in the 50's. Should be fun once I get over the usual pre-race nerves. Got in a short run this evening and feel good. The cooler temps really make a difference.

Who else is racing this weekend?

2013-08-08 10:21 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Good luck Randy!

I grew up in Madison, not too far from you (but a very different city). Milwaukee used to be Nasty-ville but it has come a long way and is a nice place now. You will enjoy your time there -- maybe that's a given since the temps are 20-30 degrees lower... It's 11:00pm here and still about 80 degrees...
2013-08-09 5:47 AM

User image

Champion

Originally posted by Experior Good luck Randy! I grew up in Madison, not too far from you (but a very different city). Milwaukee used to be Nasty-ville but it has come a long way and is a nice place now. You will enjoy your time there -- maybe that's a given since the temps are 20-30 degrees lower... It's 11:00pm here and still about 80 degrees...

you grew up in Madison?  where?  I did too and I moved back 12 years ago.

The temps here are signficantly cooler and I expect Milwaukee will be even more so due to the lake.  Perfect racing weekend according to the forecast!

2013-08-09 9:59 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Randee. That is like that picture that made the rounds about a year ago of, "the ridiculously photogenic runner." You should submit that to be used on the BT front page. Certainly frame-worthy.

Randy. Good luck with both of your races this weekend. You certainly don't need my help to do a blazing fast time.
2013-08-09 10:09 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Suzy - that's great news that you're getting back to it. Keep the faith.

Randy - have a great weekend racing.

All this talk about people's races coming up is making me wish I'd got something else on my race calendar this year. But I looked and there just weren't any races that fit with my schedule. I guess I'll just have to live/race vicariously through you lot!

Despite the fact that my training log for this week looks like I've done almost nothing, my legs are completely fried. I guess I need to figure out the balance between working hard to try to get stronger, and getting enough recovery to allow that process to happen. But on the positive side, I did a time trial at the track on Wednesday (we do them every couple of months to get an up to date Vdot) and was nearly 20sec faster (over 3.2km) than the previous one. I was expecting to be slower because I'm really just getting back into my running after Outlaw. So I was really pleased as that's a PB for me. So normally at this time of year I'm struggling to motivate myself to run, but that's really made me feel like I want to continue to work on my run. Especially as I came in at 15min03sec, so now I want to see if I can get below 15min for the next one... It's good to have a goal, even if it's just to improve by 3 seconds!
2013-08-09 4:52 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I'm excited for this weekend I have a sprint on Sunday that really falls in to my strengths, it's yet again another reverse it's a 5K followed by a 15 or so mile ride (nobody has really figured this out yet) and then only a 325 yard swim, so with my decent run and a long ride I think I have a real shot at winning my age group. Plus this race USAT age groups so it's only 5 years instead of the 10 year groups we've had. Everyone have a good weekend.
2013-08-10 1:06 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
South Alabama
Hey guys. 2:15:40. Olympic. Some really fast old folks up here. 30/170 AG. Swim could have been better but good run and bike.
2013-08-10 6:35 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Hey guys. 2:15:40. Olympic. Some really fast old folks up here. 30/170 AG. Swim could have been better but good run and bike.

That is a fast time for the young folks too.

Nice work. Way to represent yourself and our little triathlon group

2013-08-11 3:47 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Veteran
Denton

Randy - Looking at your splits makes me sick! Wow ... just blazing fast!

I was watching the live feed on usatriathlon.org and I have to say ... it sucked. It was so bad watching it. They really need to get that fixed and spend some money for more bandwidth. 

Randy - Olympic Individual
Swim: 26:18 
T1: 2:21 
Bike: 01:02:45 
T2: 1:15 
Run: 42:58 (Sorry but that is a crazy 10k time in my books no matter the age)
Total Time: 02:15:40

Randy - Sprint Individual
Swim: 13:49 
T1: 2:12 
Bike: 32:40 
T2: 1:13
Run: 20:21
Total Time: 01:10:18

I finished a 53 mile ride this morning and feel great. I think I have my race nutrition dialed in. Amrita bars and Generation UCAN for the win. 

2013-08-11 5:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by SSMinnow

I'm free!  Had my last doctor's appointment today, 6 doctors in 4 days.  I find myself thankful for the care I received.  Living in Madison with access to the University Hospital gives me access to some great doctors.  As a result, I can OWS tomorrow and I can actually ride my bike for a little bit on Saturday.  Woo-Hoo!  Your advice helped me and for that I am thankful too.  IM is ahead of me once again.

Enjoy your weekends!

Congrats on the release. I'm jealous!
2013-08-11 5:31 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Looks as though everyone had some positive weekends. Glad to hear it.

It's SO blazing hot here in the "Georgialina" region that anything outside is just sheer misery.

Open water swim this afternoon up at the dam. Thurmond Lake, in total, is 71,000 acres, so when it gets windy, the surface can get pretty nasty. Today was the hardest conditions I've swam (swum?) in up there. It felt like being in a washing machine. To add to insult to injury, just as I was opposite the dam (which is the 1/2 mile across point where I turn around), they sounded the alarm that they were going to start pulling water out of the lake to run through the turbines at the dam. Where we swim across is only about 500 yards from the dam. Now, you can't feel it happening, but it's just unsettling knowing that there's almost 150 feet of water underneath your feet and they're going to to let a bunch of that out at the bottom of the dam.

Anyhow...did get my full mile+ in, and while it was hard, and I did switch to breast stroke as needed when I started getting queasy (from being tossed around), I did my job.
2013-08-11 6:42 PM

User image

Champion

Congrats to Randyx2!, Nancy and Michael for great efforts this weekend.  I had so many friends doing USAT Nationals that I wished I was there too.  Gotta figure out how to participate next year.  It probably starts with actually doing an Olympic distance race!

Here's to a good week for all of us!

2013-08-11 8:54 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Nancy-good job on the swim...that would be a really strange feeling swimming with the alarm going off knowing what that means.

Michael-thanks for checking up on me at Milwaukee.

Legs definitely felt Saturday's race today. Quads were killing me on the the bike. Really pleased with my run as I thought it would suffer from having raced the day before.  While I have improved on the swim over the last couple of years and my comfort level in OWS/race swims has gotten better there is still alot of room for improvement. I gave up 2-3 minutes on the top 10 guys in the AG on the swim today.....thats just too much of a head start heading into T1.  I think a significant portion of the problem is my navigation....too many extra yards. Glancing at results looks like my bike and run splits were top 10. Exciting news is that with a 16th place finish I qualified for USA Team for my AG to compete at 2014 AG World Championships in Edmonton Canada next year.  Really doubt I'll go. I think any vacations for awhile need to be more spouse than triathlon related. But, I'll be curious to see the details...you never know    

2013-08-12 8:51 AM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Randy- Great races this weekend, you my friend are fast.

I had an interesting race this weekend, my swim was without a doubt horrible, it was a reverse so I had no legs left and was dragging them behind me. Also to add to the highlights of my race career I got crop dusted, litterally sprayed with something about 2 miles into the bike. It was really not a great day but oh well, stuff like that happens in the middle of rural Nevada.

Here is my RR

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-08-12 9:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Nancy-good job on the swim...that would be a really strange feeling swimming with the alarm going off knowing what that means.

Michael-thanks for checking up on me at Milwaukee.

Legs definitely felt Saturday's race today. Quads were killing me on the the bike. Really pleased with my run as I thought it would suffer from having raced the day before.  While I have improved on the swim over the last couple of years and my comfort level in OWS/race swims has gotten better there is still alot of room for improvement. I gave up 2-3 minutes on the top 10 guys in the AG on the swim today.....thats just too much of a head start heading into T1.  I think a significant portion of the problem is my navigation....too many extra yards. Glancing at results looks like my bike and run splits were top 10. Exciting news is that with a 16th place finish I qualified for USA Team for my AG to compete at 2014 AG World Championships in Edmonton Canada next year.  Really doubt I'll go. I think any vacations for awhile need to be more spouse than triathlon related. But, I'll be curious to see the details...you never know    

Randy, great job on the race finishes! Even if you don't go, it's got to feel great to qualify for the WCs! And, like you said, you never know what can happen in a year...

This weekend was pretty exhausting, but good. I did a 75-mile ride on Saturday, with my new nutrition plan. I've switched to taking the Gu Roctanes just once an hour, but I'm also using Ironman Perform. I ordered some mix and used their recommended mixing strength, which works out to about 210 calories/24oz bottle. I also really focused on hydration, much more so than ever before. I've never really had to pee on during long rides before, but I had to stop and pee about 4 times on this one. Long story short, I did a 75-mile bike, followed by a 1/2 hour run and felt great the whole time, even afterward. I think the Perform/Gu Roctane plan is a keeper!
Then, Sunday morning, I met up with a group doing a 10k run downtown, which was fun, but much faster than I'd planned. I thought that we'd stay as a group, but it was pretty much either run with the really slow people in the back, or the fast guy in the front, so I stuck behind him. After lunch, had a 2-hour long run, which was just a sufferfest. The legs were tired, but I got it done!

Overall, I'm feeling much, much better about my nutrition heading into Louisville. Oh, I also tried taking a couple Pepto Bismol pills before my long run/ride. I don't know if it helped, but I looked at the side effects, and figured it couldn't hurt. I didn't feel anything bad, so I think I'm going to plan on taking a couple in T1, then again in T2 to help my stomach settle during the race.
2013-08-12 1:39 PM

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
So I need some opinions if everyone doesn't mind. I had a race Sunday and finished well, however, I almost bonked, I mean I was completley out of gas at the end. Maybe it was the 2 weeks of races in a row and maybe the lack of training for the last 2 weeks before that. I'm trying to stay in maintainence mode, but I'm exhausted, usually I'm and 8-9 hours of sleep a night person, lately due to work and the ever changing sleep habits of a 2 year old its been more like 6-7 hours. Should I just push through my training and try to get 8 hours or so a week, I have 2 weeks of races left in a row, this week is really the most important, or should I focus on getting some rest and doing some lower intensity stuff (swim, bike, not so much run) 5 days between races doesn't give much time for both.
2013-08-12 5:26 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by mrajki

So I need some opinions if everyone doesn't mind. I had a race Sunday and finished well, however, I almost bonked, I mean I was completley out of gas at the end. Maybe it was the 2 weeks of races in a row and maybe the lack of training for the last 2 weeks before that. I'm trying to stay in maintainence mode, but I'm exhausted, usually I'm and 8-9 hours of sleep a night person, lately due to work and the ever changing sleep habits of a 2 year old its been more like 6-7 hours. Should I just push through my training and try to get 8 hours or so a week, I have 2 weeks of races left in a row, this week is really the most important, or should I focus on getting some rest and doing some lower intensity stuff (swim, bike, not so much run) 5 days between races doesn't give much time for both.

The training that you do in the next two weeks is not going to make you a lot more fit for your races. If you are feeling exhausted it might be wise to ramp back the intensity and just keep things pretty relaxed. I would definitely not stop training altogether because deconditioning can start pretty quickly. Try to train and add in some small doses of intensity but not a lot of huge, intense workouts. If you are feeling totally wiped out, ease way back or cut out a session and get in a nap instead.

If your season were not going to end for another month or more my advice would be very different. Two weeks is just a very small window to make any appreciable physiologic gains.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88