BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-08-12 6:14 PM
in reply to: mrajki

User image

Master
South Alabama
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED

Mike-good job on the race. Sounds like you have a tough race schedule that is complicated by lack of sleep/fatigue. I would adjust my workout schedule and get more rest. It doesn't matter what training you do if your body isn't ready to handle it. Better to go into a race feeling fresh than overtraining. You are getting some higher intensity work done by racing and it takes time for your body to recover after those types of efforts.

Jamie-the hay is in the barn. Don't burn down the barn! You have put in the hard training...its time to let your body recover and recharge. Absoulutely agree with Jason on the training. Cut back on volume but keep some short doses of intensity just to keep you familiar with pushing it....even though there shouldn't be much intensity on race day in an IM. Thought about you and Nate as I crossed the bridge over the River in Louisville.....less than 2 weeks!

Finally made it home this afternoon. 2100 miles of driving since last Wed. afternoon. Pretty whipped but worth the trip. Plan on going back again next year. Should be an even more competitive field next year as top finishers will qualify for the 2015 World Championships that will be held in Chicago.   

2013-08-12 8:49 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

Jamie-the hay is in the barn. Don't burn down the barn! 

Love this saying, thanks for the advice!
2013-08-14 6:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

Nancy-good job on the swim...that would be a really strange feeling swimming with the alarm going off knowing what that means.

Michael-thanks for checking up on me at Milwaukee.

Legs definitely felt Saturday's race today. Quads were killing me on the the bike. Really pleased with my run as I thought it would suffer from having raced the day before.  While I have improved on the swim over the last couple of years and my comfort level in OWS/race swims has gotten better there is still alot of room for improvement. I gave up 2-3 minutes on the top 10 guys in the AG on the swim today.....thats just too much of a head start heading into T1.  I think a significant portion of the problem is my navigation....too many extra yards. Glancing at results looks like my bike and run splits were top 10. Exciting news is that with a 16th place finish I qualified for USA Team for my AG to compete at 2014 AG World Championships in Edmonton Canada next year.  Really doubt I'll go. I think any vacations for awhile need to be more spouse than triathlon related. But, I'll be curious to see the details...you never know    

That's really cool. Great job. We had the debate with a friend of ours who qualified for Beijing, about whether it's worth the time/money to go. In the end he went. For those of us who are never going to qualify, it's nice to have friends who do, so we feel like "one day" we might...

Of course this year it's in London, so everyone I know has been trying to qualify. I only know one person who succeeded and she's in the F60-64 category, which isn't very competitive. There's also a race the day before that had a ballot for entry and I know a few people who got into that.
2013-08-14 7:02 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
I'm back! Didja miss me?!

Randy - solid performance - nice job on both! And congrats on the (probable) USA team!!

Nancy - nice swim on the 11th. That would have totally freaked me out!

Jamie - looking good for Louisville!!

I went to Martha's Vineyard for a long weekend. Did a 5K on Saturday - almost a PR (and on a hilly course too) and did my longest run (ever) at 8 miles in Katama around the airport. And of course we ate frozen yogurt every day and did a ton of shopping, sailing, stand up paddle boarding and general hijinx and mayhem. It was a good time.

Last night was my last of the local tri series. I did 6 out of 10. Next year I'm going for all 10! Fun but I'm kind of glad it's over - I'm exhausted http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

Day off today to do laundry and recover and then it's a 2 day work week!

I'm on the fence for doing another sprint this weekend.

What have you got going on?

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2013-08-14 7:17 AM
2013-08-14 7:46 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-great job on the race. You are getting some great experience by doing these races and it will pay off down the road. I can tell by reading your reports that your comfort level, especially on the swim, has improved.

Rachel-I had a friend that went to Bejing with Team USA and had a great race. Also met a guy in the 60-64 AG in Milwaukee that is going to the race in London. I'll be curious to see the info from USAT to get an idea of the projected costs etc.

No training the last 2 days for me. Feel pretty good other than some soreness in my quads. Hoping to get an easy swim and bike done today. 

2013-08-14 7:52 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Randee-great job on the race. You are getting some great experience by doing these races and it will pay off down the road. I can tell by reading your reports that your comfort level, especially on the swim, has improved.

Thanks - you're absolutely right about the swim comfort. Now I just have to figure out how to get faster. I guess that's what the winter is for

2013-08-14 3:47 PM

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Thanks - you're absolutely right about the swim comfort. Now I just have to figure out how to get faster. I guess that's what the winter is for

I'm actually looking forward to the winter exactly for that reason (only for me it's the bike). I love the idea of re -emerging much faster when spring comes

My weekend was still recovering/ enjoying having done my A race, it was also my daughter's and my birthdays, so plenty of celebrations and no training. Monday done intervals, tuesday after the swim was going for a bike ride with a friend but fell after a false start (and the effing clipless pedals), broke the gear derailleur and the ride was over before it started. Ran again today and will try another ride tomorrow after the swim, but I'm nervous about the pedals...
2013-08-15 7:51 AM
in reply to: tatous

User image

Master
South Alabama

Good morning all! Well, first race report from last weekend is done.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=498052&posts=2&page=1

Who is racing this weekend?

Hard to believe the Summer is drawing to a close. My son went back to college late last week and we take my daughter late next week....soon to be empty nesters! 

2013-08-15 9:12 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama
Jamie-I'm headed up to Greenville next Thursday to drop daughter off at Furman. Staying downtown at Hampton Inn. Any suggested run routes? How about some inside scoop on your favorite places to eat?  When are you headed to Louisville?
2013-08-15 9:28 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Sorry to be posting so much but just saw where it is offical that the new IM event will be in Chattanooga!

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanooga/course.aspx#axzz2c31lQnyp

This will be a great venue. I spent a good bit of time in Chattanooga over the last 4-5 years and have done the olympic race there several times. Beautiful area with a great downtown. One of the top cities in the country for outdoor activities. The swim will be a downriver 2.4 mile swim. It will be a fast point to point swim.  Any of you that are looking at an IM for next year I would encourage you to consider Chattanooga.  

2013-08-15 10:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Denton

Sorry to be posting so much but just saw where it is offical that the new IM event will be in Chattanooga!

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/chattanooga/course.aspx#axzz2c31lQnyp

This will be a great venue. I spent a good bit of time in Chattanooga over the last 4-5 years and have done the olympic race there several times. Beautiful area with a great downtown. One of the top cities in the country for outdoor activities. The swim will be a downriver 2.4 mile swim. It will be a fast point to point swim.  Any of you that are looking at an IM for next year I would encourage you to consider Chattanooga.  

I think I might have found the site for my first full Ironman :-) MAYBE@!

2013-08-15 12:26 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by d3term1ned

I think I might have found the site for my first full Ironman :-) MAYBE@!

"LIKE!"
2013-08-15 8:40 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I had to promise my wife not to do a full IM next year. This would have been kind of cool.... Do the inaugural IM Tahoe in 2013 and the inaugural IM Chattanooga in 2014
2013-08-15 9:02 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Chattanooga is going to be very tempting! I'm really going to see how Louisville goes, and then I'll have to look at my calendar (and my budget) and make a decision. I really liked doing IM Raleigh 70.3 as an inaugural race, so it would be awesome to be one of the first ones on a new full course. Decisions...decisions...

Randy, here are my tips on Greenville:
-As far as running goes, you can't beat the Swamp Rabbit Trail. It runs from downtown Greenville about 14 miles north to Traveler's Rest. About midway through, it literally runs right through Furman. You can hop on/off at a lot of different places, but I usually start a place called the Swamp Rabbit Cafe. It's a great organic/local grocery & cafe. I know the owners, who are great, and it's become a pretty popular place. If you run north from the cafe, you'll be at Furman in just a few miles. Here's a link to the website for the trail: http://greenvillerec.com/swamprabbit/maps.
-Places to Eat: Basically, just go down Main Street. Greenville is just big enough that there are plenty of places to eat, but it's still easy to find parking and you can see just about all the cool downtown spots just by walking down Main. Here are the highlights, starting up on Main and walking down to Reedy River Park, which also runs right into the Swamp Rabbit Trail.
Blue Ridge Brewery-good food, and they brew their own beer, three varieties from light to dark. They have a good wild game sampler, and a great brunch if you're there on Sunday.
Roost-a little expensive, but nice. It has pretty typical American-style food, but tries to be local and all that.
Sticky Fingers-my all-time favorite bbq place. Cheap and tons of food, but I wouldn't eat there before a run!
Barley's Taproom-downtown, just off Main street on Washington. They have pretty good pizza, and about a million beers.
There are some good ethnic places: Lemongrass (Thai), Takosushi, Saffron's. They're all good, if you want something a little different.
If you want a burger, there's Grill Marks that makes GREAT burgers.
If you want nice, and a little expensive, there's Soby's or American Grocery. They're both good, and not cheap.

Make sure you walk around Reedy River Park, it's really what makes coming to Greenville worth it.

There are more places, so let me know if you want anything in particular! I'm heading out Friday morning, so I'll be here through Thursday night; let me know if you'll be free Thursday, and maybe I could show you around a bit before I leave.
2013-08-15 9:42 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Of the finalist towns Chattanooga was clearly the best, I love Asheville, and a bike ride there could be truly epic (I've done many in that area -- highest point east of the MI is nearby and the climb is pretty incredible), but I don't think it's a great place for an IM.

If it's still open when I have money, I'm going to do IMCdA next summer. But Chattanooga is really really tempting. Both Randy and I have done the big Oly (actually a little longer than Oly on the bike) more than once, and that is a fantastic race. For some reason I always bike that course very well, which makes me want to do IM there!

Jamie: What Randy said!
2013-08-16 8:54 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Morning all!!

Who's racing this weekend? (not me, btw)

Question: I think I'm going to do the pumpkinman in Maine next year for my first 70.3. It's in September so I have a good amount of time to prepare. I have this book: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1931382921/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_...
and her 70.3 training plan is 27 weeks. 6 Months just seems like such a long time to wrap my head around! How long are the training plans you follow for your halfs?

This would put me starting at the beginning of March so essentially my off season would be December, January and February because I have events through the first week of December - all varying types and lengths - a few du's, a 5k, a 5miler etc

Have a great day and a great weekend all!

2013-08-16 1:47 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama
2013-08-17 5:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I got in a 2-hour ride, followed by a 30-minute run today. It's ridiculously cool outside, which made things really nice.

So, all you people with long course experience, I'm officially one week away from IM Louisville. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to share for the week leading up to the race? I'm going to focus on staying hydrated and eating pretty clean food, nothing too heavy. Anything else?
2013-08-17 9:34 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I got in a 2-hour ride, followed by a 30-minute run today. It's ridiculously cool outside, which made things really nice.

So, all you people with long course experience, I'm officially one week away from IM Louisville. Does anyone have any tips or tricks to share for the week leading up to the race? I'm going to focus on staying hydrated and eating pretty clean food, nothing too heavy. Anything else?

Don't be so nervous that you don't enjoy it. I was so anxious in the week before my first that I missed out on all of the fun stuff leading up to the race. You have done the work. You are prepared and will do great. Enjoy the days leading up to the race.
2013-08-17 9:52 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Life has been crazy busy so I have been remiss in forum activities. This will be a bunch of short updates.

For the first time ever, I am not doing a race that I signed up for. Tomorrow's race is in Northern MI, over four hours from where I am sitting right now. Family stuff has dictated that I not do this race (another streak ended-wahhh) so I am not doing the race.

Put compact cranks on my bike and I am loving them. I wish I were blinded to the new cranks so I could tell if the 'effect' is real or not. So far they seem like they will be everything I hoped they would be.

I rode 90 miles today and had a pretty good ride, except........... About 90 minutes in to my ride I was really pounding away during an interval and I wasn't paying enough attention...... My front wheel ended up in a groove/crack in the pavement and the bike bucked me off so fast I never saw it coming. I hit the pavement at about 22 mph and left a lot of skin and a big piece of my favorite Tri shorts behind. It was shocking to say the least. After I got myself together I almost bailed on the ride but then I opened up a can of HTFU and finished the ride. I will be sore tomorrow. Bike has a couple scratches which makes me sad because I had kept it pristine for the last 18 months. The shop has already looked at it and given it a clean bill of health. All the bike's wounds are cosmetic. Mine are about the same.

My fitness seems to be increasing all of a sudden. I hope I am getting off of this plateau that has seemed to go on forever. Essentially four hard weeks of training left this season

Enough for now. I will try to catch up on everyone's race reports over the next couple days.
2013-08-17 9:56 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

Sounds like you are being wise. Here are my personal 'top ten' things that you surely know, but it is probably a good idea for all of us to be reminded:

1. Don't do anything dramatically new with nutrition or training or general routine, except that if you are not an early riser, it *might* be a good idea to slowly adjust to getting up early. I say *might* because if making the adjustment will cause you an overall loss of sleep, don't do it. Your sleep the night before race day is almost meaningless (and might be nearly non-existent), but your sleep during this week is important.
2. Stick to the plan -- resist the temptation to deviate.
3. Get the bike 100% ready to roll tomorrow, if it isn't already. This includes race wheels, etc., if possible. It's OK (indeed, a good idea) to do your last ride or two with the bike race-ready. If you're flying, know *exactly* how to reassemble it. Know this by practicing. Even if somebody else is going to reassemble it for you, you need to know how to do it.
4. Bring more spares than you need. This applies to: tubes, nutrition, CO2s, and other 'expendables' that you will carry on race day.
5. If you are flying, you cannot take CO2s on the plane, so your first order of business is to go to the expo (or a local bike shop) and buy them. They go fast! Before they run out, the price gets high. Buy them early.
6. If you are flying, please remember your pedals. It sucks to unpack your bike and find them missing. Don't ask me how I know this.
7. Stay off your feet as much as possible. This includes not standing around for hours at the expo. A brief visit will be fun and might get you excited about the race, but don't hang out there for hours.
8. Drive the bike course if you can.
9. If they sill have the swim time, do it. You will not see the whole course, obviously, but there is nothing like getting onto the course to get a sense of what it will be like on race day.
10. Will you have family with you? If so, be sure that someone is willing, and able (i.e., knows how to) get your stuff after the race. You will not likely feel like walking from the finish to pick up your bike, etc.

And as a bonus (you didn't ask...), here are my top three pieces of advice specifically about IMLOU, one for each part of the race (but ask any question you want -- IMLOU was my first IM and still emblazoned on my brain):

1. If the swim start is the same as it has been (time trial start, first come first served) do NOT, I repeat do NOT, show up at 5:00am, and when you show up, do NOT walk to the end of the line and stand in that long line. Just hang out near the start and let the end of the line come to you. Unless you are in some kind of danger of missing the cutoff (and you aren't), nothing else makes sense. Don't underestimate the negative effect that standing in that line for 30-45 minutes will have on the rest of your race. We're all racers and we love the idea of being near the front, but in this race, that makes no sense.

2. In addition to the usual advice about the bike (pace properly, do not burn matches on the many hills, etc.), remember this: people get excited about the last 15-20 miles because it is a false flat in your favor (but remember that going out it is a false flat NOT in your favor!) so 'should' be fast. However, the wind is often blowing against you at that time of day. Do not push too hard just because you expected to go XXmph but in fact (because of the headwind) you are not going that fast. Take it as it comes and accept whatever is happening. At least there are no more hills!

3. As you know, the run is two loops. It is flat and boring (except the bridge, if they still do that, but it is right at the beginning). But the worst part is that at the turnaround, you are within a block or so of the finish. And the finish at IMLOU is fantastic, and also quite loud. You will hear it. Hearing it will excite you for a moment. Then you will remember that you are not finishing -- you are turning around for another 13.1. Try to make this realization a positive factor in your race, because otherwise it can be very depressing. Use that exciting finish to motivate you through what is normally the hardest part of the race.

Good luck! I'll try to follow you on race day.

2013-08-18 5:21 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Morning!

Jason, I hope you feel ok today.  That sounds really scary.  As someone who got cosmetic dings to her bike on Day 1 of riding it, I feel your pain.  Mine is going in for a repaint after the season.

Jamie, I think Michael's advice is really good and a reminder for me in a few weeks.  The only thing I would add is if you have a chance to do a little mental health prep by getting away from it all that would be ideal.  I sneak away to our Northern WI house for a couple of days (realize you may not be able to do this!) to sleep more, read passages from books that inspire me and visualize the race from start to finish.  For me, it is very calming.  I also get my packet on Thursday and don't go back around the IM venue until it is time for me to drop my bike and bags off.  Even then, I do it and leave asap.  Too much time on my feet and listening to the fears of other people is not good for me.  You are so ready!!!!

Randy, do you think Chatanooga will be wetsuit legal?

2013-08-18 7:29 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-glad you are OK. Seems our group has had more than its share of crashes over the past few months. Good news of the fitness bump. I don't think a compact crank is needed down in the flat lands of the Gulf Coast but I'm curious to hear of your experience. Sounds positive so far.

Jamie-I'll leave the advice to the IM in the group but Michael's advice seems spot on. The folks that I know that have used the Be Ironfit book and plan to prepare for IM have done really well. Stick to the plan! Maybe one thing to add-at some point this week take a minute and think back on all you have accomplished to get to this point. You have been with our group pretty much since you started training and have done some impressive training/racing to get to this point. It has been fun to follow. I suspect you have already done many things you thought were impossible. Be proud of everything you have done to get to this point and enjoy the race. Very excited for you.

Suzy-Tough to know if Chatt will be wetsuit legal. Chattanooga can stay pretty warm into the Fall. I suspect WTC will "want" it to be wetsuit legal but its hard to know...could be low 70s could be 80 in the water. I would encourage anyone planning to do the race to take a look at the Chattanooga Waterfront race in early July. It will give you a feel for the course and the City. I have had some of my better oly swims at the race since its downriver the whole way. Water quality is not great but the swim is pretty cool going by large bluffs and under 3 bridges to finish downtown. I suspect it will have to be a time trial start given access to the River is limited. I'll be happy to answer any questions about Chattanooga.....I love the City. Remarkable what the City has done to improve itself over the last 15 years.  

Its been a real washout down here this weekend. Did 1.5 hours on the trainer yesterday but going to head outside, in the rain, for my hour run. 

2013-08-18 7:31 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

I know that there are a lot of strong opinions out there about Endurance Nation....... If you have not read their four keys to IM execution, it is well worth the read.

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/team-en/four-keys-of-ironman-exe...

It is a really smart way to look at IM participation/execution.
2013-08-18 8:01 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Rain, rain go away!

Had a big training day planned for yesterday, but the deluge (and my horrid fear of cars when it's raining) changed my plans. Fortunately, one of the Tri Augusta members is also a fitness professional (who is also training for August 70.3) and she offered a FREE 2 hour RPM spin class at the gym where she teaches. Of course, 30 of us showed up thinking, "We've got this. Easy 2 hours on the bike. We're used to riding 3-4 hours at this point."

Holy hell...she damn near killed us! She. Is. A. Beast. The windows in the room were all fogged up, and some people wrote "R.I.P" and "Help us!" with the hope that the people outside the spin room would come to our aid. Nada!

Did 30 minutes of core work afterward, then a 3 mile run on the treadmill.

I was busted after that. I felt like I'd been run over a by a truck. Off to FarmHaus for yummy burgers afterwards.

Writing lesson plans and grading papers this morning. Running 4-5 miles in a few and then to the pool for a long swim this afternoon.

Six weeks to Augusta 70.3. I'm getting a little nervous.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-08-18 8:01 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88