BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-03-16 6:08 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Stuart-Glad to hear you're getting in some good rides!

Nancy-there's nothing like a good pool workout to make you feel like all the training is worth it!

I had a pretty good weekend of training. I did a swim Friday...and it was terrible. I felt weak, and almost a little shaky toward the end. I just shrugged it off, came home and decided to go for a run...and felt worse than I have in a long time. I cut the run short after 2.5 miles and told myself I needed a good night's sleep! Luckily, that feeling went away, as it didn't reoccur the rest of the weekend. I did a 75-mile ride on Saturday, with plenty of hills! It took most of Saturday, and I made sure to stick with my planned nutrition: I mixed a 4-hour bottle of Perpetuem and supplemented with water. I'll admit I felt a little loopy after the ride (if you know how my IMLou race went, you'll know that's what I'm trying to avoid!), but I think it's fixable. I only used one scoop per hour, which is about 130 calories, so that's what I took in per hour. I think I can increase that, since that isn't very much to take in. I did really well on the ride, averaging just about 1 mph faster than the same ride last year, which I'm happy about since I didn't work any harder.

Then, this morning I did a 13.1 mile run, and felt amazing. I really couldn't believe how fresh my legs felt after yesterday. I don't know what I did right, but I felt fresh the whole run, and managed to push the whole run a little. I'm really happy with pace, considering it was cold and raining the entire time. I'm also happy since I've cut down on my run mileage, but I think the quality is better than last season. I've got my first race next weekend, a Sprint, and I'm looking forward to starting the season.

2014-03-16 7:44 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
South Alabama

OK gang, here is a question for the group. Looking ahead, what is the one goal you would like to achieve this season? The most important thing on your goal list? It may be finishing your first triathlon, beating your previous PR in an event, a specific finishing time in an event....etc?  

I have several goals, as do most of you, but right now I would have to say my A++ goal would be to qualify for Team USA at USAT AG Nationals. The 2015 World Championships will be in Chicago in 2015 and I think that would be a great experience. 

So, lets put it out there....the season is right around the corner! Don't be shy.   

Edited by slornow 2014-03-16 7:49 PM
2014-03-16 8:16 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
If the weather cooperates, my goal is to finish Augusta 70.3 in under 6 hours. I finished last year in 6:31 with a crap run and 2 tea parties in transition, so I think it's doable.
2014-03-16 8:17 PM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Great question Randy. Some of the smaller more obvious ones include keeping up with the new nutrition plan, staying healthy, training consistently, etc.. I think the most ambitious one is to PR at every distance. 5k, 10k, Sprint, HM, HIM, and Marathon. It's my 3rd year of Tri's and probably 5th year of running so I think it's still early enough in my career to make it happen.

Today after 4 weeks on the trainer I decided it was time for a FTP test. +22 watts according to Trainer Road. The bad news is now my workouts are going to hurt even more. I'm on a new trainer this year so I really can't compare the number to last year which is kind of a bummer. I guess I'll have to wait to find out once I can get outside. Probably 4th of July weekend the way this winter is going.

Edited by GoldenSprocket 2014-03-16 8:26 PM
2014-03-16 8:34 PM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Oh boy Randy...you had to do this didn't you.

O.K., well I could take the easy way out and say, "...to finish my half iron distance race", but that is not really how my brain works. So here it is, my BHAG is 5:30 at MiTi in August. Ughh, now its out there in black and white.

It's going to be pretty tough to do if I have to wait for the breeze to blow me around the swim course while I float on my back, which is my current swim strategy!
2014-03-16 8:36 PM
in reply to: 43YORook

User image

Master

Here is one of my favorite video's on Motivation and Goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3g-RvC-iA

2014-03-16 8:50 PM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
So, my training plan that I made with the custom plan creator here on BT for my August HIM starts on Sunday the 23rd. I am using this week to start to transition my schedule to the way it is set up in my training plan. That meant my long run was tonight and it went “ok”. I forced myself to keep it really slow and never let my HR go over Z2 at all. It did help my knee feel better than it has while adding distance up to this point.

Here’s a funny story from “The One Who Knows All (TOWKA)”, otherwise known as my wife tonight. I am struggling with some of the things in my upcoming training plan that don’t make a lot of sense to me and I was thinking about them a lot on my run tonight. So, I get back from the run and I say to TOWKA, “Maybe I should just get a coach.” TOWKA, who has a very good memory and certainly has recollection of the days when I was a cocky, stupid, immature, over-talented but un-coachable runner simply busts out laughing. I found this a little disconcerting and then she says, “Whoah there cowboy. How about you actually complete one of these things before we go all crazy?” I think she can tell by the look on my face that I’m a little taken aback and so she follows up with the knockout blow and says, “Didn’t you spend about the first three years we knew each other telling me how you knew more than any of the coaches you had and they should all just let you train how you want.”

Damn, my own words used against me…

I guess I’ll just keep working off the plan I have for now.
2014-03-16 9:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by slornow

OK gang, here is a question for the group. Looking ahead, what is the one goal you would like to achieve this season? The most important thing on your goal list? It may be finishing your first triathlon, beating your previous PR in an event, a specific finishing time in an event....etc?  

I have several goals, as do most of you, but right now I would have to say my A++ goal would be to qualify for Team USA at USAT AG Nationals. The 2015 World Championships will be in Chicago in 2015 and I think that would be a great experience. 

So, lets put it out there....the season is right around the corner! Don't be shy.   

You can definitely make that goal, Randy! I also think that Chicago would be pretty amazing...I'd go ahead and start looking at hotels if I were you

As far as my goals go, I don't have any particular time goals. Just based on where I am in training, I honestly expect to PR every race I enter, just because I'm faster and stronger than I was a year ago. So, really, my only true goal is to "race" IM Chattanooga. I finished IM Louisville last year, but it was anything like what I think I can do if I train, physically and nutritionally, properly. Here's hoping!
2014-03-17 10:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Ok Randy here you go. I want to finish an Oly this year. It will need to be late in the season since I am still not released to run but I think I can do it. I know its not as exciting as most but where I'm at.
2014-03-17 10:55 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

To finish my first HIM in under 7 hours.

Of course, I have to survive the 4 for weeks first
CARRY ON!
2014-03-17 11:01 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by Catwoman

Here is one of my favorite video's on Motivation and Goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3g-RvC-iA

Very cool video. Thanks Rene....the queen of You Tube.

2014-03-17 6:47 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Stuart...knowing what you've overcome in the last year, I think your Oly goal is exciting! I'm rooting for your success.

Randee....I think you'll meet that 7 hour goal easy peasy.
2014-03-17 6:55 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Goal number one, finish American Triple T upright and not feeling like death. More to come on this......

Goal number two, qualify for 70.3 world championships, either 2014 in Quebec or 2015 in some yet to be determined location.

Goal number three, break ten hours at IMAZ. I am not sure that I can make it but I'm going to try. Should be interesting and fun.

Goal number four, not completely alienate my wife and kids while chasing 1-3.
2014-03-17 7:01 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Here's my IM motivation video (sorry, there is some bad language in it if you are at work or around your kids):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8htb5GJLQ98

I can't watch it and not want to go out and train some more. My favorite HTFU song as well. Sometimes I put it on repeat for an entire bike test.

"I will not fall, I will stand tall, until my legs give out this time......."
2014-03-17 7:13 PM

User image

Master

Jason- I love that video..

This next video has a very special meaning to me. During my first few Ironman build's our son was still living at home. Our computers sit side by side on a large desk. The poor kid was subjected to having to listen to this video multiple times over the years.

Fast forward to Ironman Texas11 race day. I had a horrible race and became really dehydrated and delirious to say the least. At one point on the run course my son started running along side me saying the opening sentences from this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF7k1Dw2A7w

There are really just two kinds of people. Those that say I can't and those that say I can.........

This is also about limits..

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-17 7:18 PM
2014-03-17 7:20 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster Here's my IM motivation video (sorry, there is some bad language in it if you are at work or around your kids): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8htb5GJLQ98I can't watch it and not want to go out and train some more. My favorite HTFU song as well. Sometimes I put it on repeat for an entire bike test. "I will not fall, I will stand tall, until my legs give out this time......."

I'll do the same thing for short, up to 10 min tests, find a song that gets me going and listen to it over and over until I finish the time. That is definitely a good one. There are a few other Eminem "songs" that always get me pumped up. 

2014-03-17 7:28 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
So here is truly my favorite IM video.........

Because at 2:14-17 of the video, I am the dork walking across the screen with my goggles around my neck. I was the only one smiling. The guy who marked me in body marking (Axteraa here on BT) told me I was the happiest guy he had seen all morning. How could I not be, racing my first IM at Kona?

Enjoy my 3 seconds of fame (about six people called me to say they had seen me on TV):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re9RBoiGSos
2014-03-17 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by wannabefaster

So here is truly my favorite IM video.........

Because at 2:14-17 of the video, I am the dork walking across the screen with my goggles around my neck. I was the only one smiling. The guy who marked me in body marking (Axteraa here on BT) told me I was the happiest guy he had seen all morning. How could I not be, racing my first IM at Kona?

Enjoy my 3 seconds of fame (about six people called me to say they had seen me on TV):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re9RBoiGSos

Well, Jason, you just won the best inspirational video contest!
2014-03-17 8:44 PM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by wannabefaster So here is truly my favorite IM video......... Because at 2:14-17 of the video, I am the dork walking across the screen with my goggles around my neck. I was the only one smiling. The guy who marked me in body marking (Axteraa here on BT) told me I was the happiest guy he had seen all morning. How could I not be, racing my first IM at Kona? Enjoy my 3 seconds of fame (about six people called me to say they had seen me on TV): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re9RBoiGSos

You are a star!

2014-03-17 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Jason I think that video does fall into the category of: Why is this man smiling?

Chris my wife and I will be married 40 years this August. Want to know the secret to our longevity? I figured out 39 years ago who was TOWKA.

Randee good goal 7 hour. You got this one!

Nancy thanks for the words of encouragement.

2014-03-18 5:00 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by Stuartap

Jason I think that video does fall into the category of: Why is this man smiling?

Chris my wife and I will be married 40 years this August. Want to know the secret to our longevity? I figured out 39 years ago who was TOWKA.

My wife reads along on the thread. Last night she referred to herself as TOWKA. I nearly spit out what I was eating.

2014-03-18 6:33 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Originally posted by Stuartap

My wife reads along on the thread. Last night she referred to herself as TOWKA. I nearly spit out what I was eating.

Hahaha...oops. Now I went and gave the ladies even more encouragement of what we all know to be true, even though we (men) often deny it. I suppose a rose by any other name is still a rose, right?

So, work was out of control yesterday and the plan of trying to transition to my schedule for the training plan next week got a little messed up. Monday nights have typically been a run for me for the last couple months but now in the new plan Monday is a swim/bike day. I got the short swim in at lunch and then was working until after 9:30 last night and just didn't get on the bike. It put me in a terrible mood and I'm still mad I missed it this morning. Ughh...probably shouldn't be that big of deal but it really bothers me. FYI...TOWKA told me about 11:00 last night to either go get on the bike or STFU and go to bed but she wasn't putting up with my bad mood. (Perspective Chris, perspective...)

It's weird to me how I went twenty years without any structured workouts in my life and now it completely throws me for a loop to miss something I planned on doing.

2014-03-18 7:06 AM

User image

Master

Chris-

You should have some flexibility in the plan to arrange the workouts to your schedule. I'm sure that there is someone on here that could help you (if you needed it) redo the basic structure of the workouts so you could run long on Monday night. 

One other hint- Don't off your support system this early in the training plan. There will be plenty of time for that later.

I slept in this morning because I stayed up too late with my "sponsor" last night. Since I only have an easy bike today it wasn't that big of a deal. Sponsor is happy. He's also going out of town for a few days so I can go to bed early tonight.

2014-03-18 7:36 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Originally posted by Catwoman

Chris-

One other hint- Don't off your support system this early in the training plan. There will be plenty of time for that later.

Yes, I know this...just have to keep reminding myself. My wonderful, amazingly patient, and very intelligent wife (you never know when she might read this) has been down this road before with my competitive nature. I think most days she just shakes her head and laughs!

As for the plan, I actually moved the days around for each session in the plan builder. ie.) I picked the day for long run, long bike, long swim, etc... Sunday, in general, is a good day for the long run for me and it wouldn't have mattered yesterday whether it was long run or long bike, life just got in the way and I was surprised by how it affected me.

That being said, can other people go into a training plan on BT like they can see my training log? Because if they can I would welcome any feedback on the plan that the system "created" for me. Some of the things I am looking at modifying on my own are, I doubt I will do bike sessions shorter than an hour, I will likely use some Trainer Road sessions instead of the "intervals' set up in the plan for the bike, and I may add in a 4th run at least every other week. Any other feedback or suggestions that anyone has would be absolutely welcomed. I don't think I can do the swim workouts 100% as they are structured right now but, knock on wood, I do feel like there has been some progress and I hope to catch up to the plan in the next 4-6 weeks.

2014-03-18 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Originally posted by 43YORook

That being said, can other people go into a training plan on BT like they can see my training log? Because if they can I would welcome any feedback on the plan that the system "created" for me. Some of the things I am looking at modifying on my own are, I doubt I will do bike sessions shorter than an hour, I will likely use some Trainer Road sessions instead of the "intervals' set up in the plan for the bike, and I may add in a 4th run at least every other week. Any other feedback or suggestions that anyone has would be absolutely welcomed. I don't think I can do the swim workouts 100% as they are structured right now but, knock on wood, I do feel like there has been some progress and I hope to catch up to the plan in the next 4-6 weeks.

I can see your log and calendar, but it doesn't show any of the planned workouts. I used the same plan customizer until I found a 12 week plan that fit my goals a little better.

I think my goals for this year are like what Jamie said; because I'm stronger and faster I expect to do better in all my races. I have some specific times I'd like to hit in my Oly race in June but my race specific training doesn't start on that until Monday, so once I'm a bit deeper in that I'll have a better idea of numbers. If I had to put a number to it, I'd like to be right under 2:40 for the race. 30 min swim, 1hr 20 minute bike, 50 minute run. I think I can smash those numbers but since it's my first Oly distance I want to be conservative. Also, those are my public numbers, I have some numbers in my head I'm shooting for, but those stay in my head
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.