BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-05-13 5:30 PM
in reply to: #1400418

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS

crea0029 - 2008-05-13 2:25 PM Hi all my friends... life is getting hard right now.  All the parents out here that have grown kids who have left the nest know what is going on when I talk about graduating from college and not sure where my future is.  My mom and dad want me to come home which is 4.5 hours away from where I have gone to college for the past 4 years.  It would be nice to be at home; however, all my friends are here.  I don't want to live without my friends.  I am stuck... so stuck.  Does any of my moms and dads out here have any advice???

find a job where you are and find some of those friends to room with and wella...you get to stay where you are...no living by the parents and their rules and you get your freedom, a job and to stay with your friends. My dd never came home after college....she did not find a great job right off the bat, but was able to maintain enough to pay her bills....then after some real searching she found her job at active.com. She loves it there, makes good money and now has her own apartment a block from the beach

what is your major? and do you have any bites for work anywhere? not sure how big your college town is to your home town, but good luck!!! Hope that this was helpful!  

2008-05-13 7:11 PM
in reply to: #1400249

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-05-13 4:30 PM

and as for Eric, we know deep down that he is a glitter king and loves the sparkly shiny notes! he just has not reached down into those feminine jeans....I mean genes to find them yet!

Hahahaha!

Julie - thanks for enlightening us all about Eric!

2008-05-13 7:12 PM
in reply to: #1400274

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-05-13 4:36 PM

medic0020 - 2008-05-12 11:37 AM Did anyone else notice that Dee has been on BT for at least a year LESS than anyone else on the list? Some of them have been on here for 3-4 years more than her. How sad is that???!!

actually, do I sense a bit of jealousy that she has time! and we dont! you better watch yourself...the glitter is going to come FLYING AT YOU! and from ALL DIRECTIONS!

Eh well, I haven't had time lately.

That said, things are a'changing.... I'm backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk!
2008-05-13 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1400546

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-05-13 6:30 PM

crea0029 - 2008-05-13 2:25 PM Hi all my friends... life is getting hard right now. All the parents out here that have grown kids who have left the nest know what is going on when I talk about graduating from college and not sure where my future is. My mom and dad want me to come home which is 4.5 hours away from where I have gone to college for the past 4 years. It would be nice to be at home; however, all my friends are here. I don't want to live without my friends. I am stuck... so stuck. Does any of my moms and dads out here have any advice???

find a job where you are and find some of those friends to room with and wella...you get to stay where you are...no living by the parents and their rules and you get your freedom, a job and to stay with your friends. My dd never came home after college....she did not find a great job right off the bat, but was able to maintain enough to pay her bills....then after some real searching she found her job at active.com. She loves it there, makes good money and now has her own apartment a block from the beach

what is your major? and do you have any bites for work anywhere? not sure how big your college town is to your home town, but good luck!!! Hope that this was helpful!

Julie - great advice!

Pam - It makes sense that your parents want you "home." It also makes sense that you want to be with your friends. I think that Julie gave you some really good things to think about. If you want to stay where you are now, the first thing to do is find a job (or go to grad school). Good luck!

<-- Not a parent. Nor do I play one on TV.

2008-05-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Extreme Veteran
Don't ever feel stuck, life is your oyster. If you want to stay there, try it, if it is not what you want after a period of time, go closer to home, or take a chance and go somewhere you think you might like to live but you don't know anyone, life is about exploring your options and growing by experiences, and meeting new people.

Looking back to your age as myself. Things I would do differently would be: changing my mindset from a limited version, to a I can go anywhere, do anything version... I limited myself because I didn't realize how strong, smart and adventurous I was. I feel I am now at 46 that person, I don't let any barrier hold me back, I am stronger than I ever knew possible. Just remember that about yourself!

I know you will handle every challenge put before you with integrity and grace... Go have an adventure Pam.

Amy IN
2008-05-14 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1401662

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

amy mutz - 2008-05-14 9:44 AM Don't ever feel stuck, life is your oyster. If you want to stay there, try it, if it is not what you want after a period of time, go closer to home, or take a chance and go somewhere you think you might like to live but you don't know anyone, life is about exploring your options and growing by experiences, and meeting new people. Looking back to your age as myself. Things I would do differently would be: changing my mindset from a limited version, to a I can go anywhere, do anything version... I limited myself because I didn't realize how strong, smart and adventurous I was. I feel I am now at 46 that person, I don't let any barrier hold me back, I am stronger than I ever knew possible. Just remember that about yourself! I know you will handle every challenge put before you with integrity and grace... Go have an adventure Pam. Amy IN

Thanks everyone!  The hardest battle is trying to remember to make the decision for me.  I love my parents to death and sometimes make choices on making everyone happy.  My mom will take any news that I am not doing what she had hoped hard which makes everything else hard.  sigh... growing up is hard! 

2008-05-14 6:24 PM
in reply to: #1402052

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
crea0029 - 2008-05-14 9:46 AM

amy mutz - 2008-05-14 9:44 AM Don't ever feel stuck, life is your oyster. If you want to stay there, try it, if it is not what you want after a period of time, go closer to home, or take a chance and go somewhere you think you might like to live but you don't know anyone, life is about exploring your options and growing by experiences, and meeting new people. Looking back to your age as myself. Things I would do differently would be: changing my mindset from a limited version, to a I can go anywhere, do anything version... I limited myself because I didn't realize how strong, smart and adventurous I was. I feel I am now at 46 that person, I don't let any barrier hold me back, I am stronger than I ever knew possible. Just remember that about yourself! I know you will handle every challenge put before you with integrity and grace... Go have an adventure Pam. Amy IN

Thanks everyone!  The hardest battle is trying to remember to make the decision for me.  I love my parents to death and sometimes make choices on making everyone happy.  My mom will take any news that I am not doing what she had hoped hard which makes everything else hard.  sigh... growing up is hard! 

life is short, Pam...and as much as I would like to avoid conflict, you have to realize that you are living your life, not your moms...and you have to do it for yourself, not your mom or dad..or to please anyone. If you find a good job and you have some nice friends to live with...how can she be upset!? she should be happy....I have to admit that since Steph was my only child...I had the empty nest symdrone....When we dropped her off at her dorm that first year, we took  her to dinner with her new roommate and then just as we were about to drive away, I could feel the river getting ready to gush! Luckily we were able to get down the road...when I just burst into tears....I truly felt as though I had lost my best friend and now what was I going to do with all this time!?!? so, when it was time to graduate...I was sooooo excited for her to come home....she never did! I was a bit sad at first, but I after hearing who she was going to live with and that she had found a full time job right around the corner....I actually got excited for her! I do wish she was closer....but I also know that she would not be half as happy up here as where she is! and I want her to be happy! as, I am sure your mom wants you to be....just break it to her softly and make sure you have a job and place to live lined up...

...summer is around the corner and hopefully your college town has reason to hire summer help....so get on craigslist or pull out your paper and start searching for that job today.....or like Dee said there is always grad school!!  GOOD LUCK!!!

2008-05-14 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Hey Pam,

I'll jump in with from a man's perspective. It sounds like you love your family dearly which is a great thing. But if you move back home you'll still be their little girl. Now is the time for you to develop what they started and become your own person.

Another thing I learned is to not make my decisions based on where my friends are. Friends move. Friendships change. You'll find friends no matter where you go. While that may be a factor, it should be a very small one. 

Now is the time for you to live your life. Don't abandon your family! They are a great thing and wonderful to have in your life. This isn't being selfish. It's growing up and being independent - what they've been preparing you for all of these years.
2008-05-14 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Just a quick Stef update. I had to make a hard decision yesterday and restrict Stephanie's driving. She's very tired and making some mental errors that aren't characteristic of her. She's had 3 accidents in the past 45 days - thankfully all minor and only one involving another vehicle. But now attorneys are involved in that deal, so I may be dealing with that for a while. After a long conversation with a doctor friend of mine, he told me he thought this would be best. He described it like early stage Alzheimers - the person looks pretty good to most people in passing, but when you spend time with them you see things that just aren't right. I also called one of her close friends to see if it was just me, and she even said (without me asking about the driving) that she was concerned about Stef driving.

Stef understands and even agrees, but is very upset by this. Hopefully, she will get better after the brain radiation is done. Right now, between the radiation and the narcotics they have her on to control headaches, anything could be causing her problems.  We are afraid thought that this is the beginning of a dreadful slide.

I'm getting some exercise in. My son and I have been getting up in the mornings, which has been good for us both. Tomorrow is my cardiologist tests, so we'l see what comes of that.

Talk to you later,

Greg 

2008-05-14 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1403244

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mman - 2008-05-14 8:11 PM

Just a quick Stef update. I had to make a hard decision yesterday and restrict Stephanie's driving. She's very tired and making some mental errors that aren't characteristic of her. She's had 3 accidents in the past 45 days - thankfully all minor and only one involving another vehicle. But now attorneys are involved in that deal, so I may be dealing with that for a while. After a long conversation with a doctor friend of mine, he told me he thought this would be best. He described it like early stage Alzheimers - the person looks pretty good to most people in passing, but when you spend time with them you see things that just aren't right. I also called one of her close friends to see if it was just me, and she even said (without me asking about the driving) that she was concerned about Stef driving.

Stef understands and even agrees, but is very upset by this. Hopefully, she will get better after the brain radiation is done. Right now, between the radiation and the narcotics they have her on to control headaches, anything could be causing her problems. We are afraid thought that this is the beginning of a dreadful slide.

I'm getting some exercise in. My son and I have been getting up in the mornings, which has been good for us both. Tomorrow is my cardiologist tests, so we'l see what comes of that.

Talk to you later,

Greg

Hi Greg,

That was a tough decision to make, but you had to make it. It's for Stef's safety, as well as that of others on the road....

I understand why Stef is upset, too. Driving is, well, a sign of independence, to many of us. By losing her driving privileges, does she feel like she's losing her independence? If so, maybe there is some way you can show her that she still has that independence? (OK, so I didn't word that well, but hopefully, you'll understand what I'm asking.)

Hopefully, this is just a temporary thing, caused by the narcotics or radiation. (Heck, if I was on narcotics, I certainly wouldn't be capable of driving!!! The world goes s-p-i-n-n-i-n-g in circles, and that's about all I can concentrate on!)

Glad to hear that you and your son have been getting some exercise in! That's good for BOTH of you!

Good luck with the cardiology tests tomorrow! Hope you get an "A"! LOL

2008-05-14 8:13 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Greg,
Sounds like a very tough thing to have to do, but I'm sure that she realizes it was time too.  When I went thru chemo, I definitely had chemo brain.  I had a very linear train of thought, disrupt me from what I was doing and it might be a month before I'd pick up that project again.  We're all thinking good thoughts for you guys, and about your cardiologist visit.

I'm off in the morning for my semi-annual test results.  I've been stressing about this test for the past month or so. The crazy thing is that all of that went away during my HIM.  It just didn't seem to matter.  I've also been very calm about the whole thing since I walked out of the hospital after finishing the test last Thu.  I actually went straight to masters and put in probably my longest swim ever--4100 yds.  I'll be sure and let you guys know what I hear.

Hope everyone's week is going well.

2008-05-14 9:35 PM
in reply to: #1403244

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
mman - 2008-05-14 5:11 PM

Stef understands and even agrees, but is very upset by this. Hopefully, she will get better after the brain radiation is done. Right now, between the radiation and the narcotics they have her on to control headaches, anything could be causing her problems.  We are afraid thought that this is the beginning of a dreadful slide.

Talk to you later,

Greg 

ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL my love to Stef! and I think you made the right decision on the driving thing...we are talking about Houston, too! good luck with the cardiology tests tomorrow...will be sending the healthy thoughts your way!! hang in there. buddy!!...no slide talking!! ya hear! keep that chin up! YOU ARE SUCH AN INSPIRATION TO ME! whenever I get down and think that I have a problem I think of all that you are going thru and think...what...this is not a problem...it is a tiny issue that I will deal with! so thanks Greg....for well...being GREG!!!! Give Stef a BIG slobbery kiss for me, will ya! and send her my love! not a day goes by that I do not think of her!!

2008-05-15 10:58 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Back from my visit to the hematologist and all is well.....Another 6 mos until I have the priveledge of going thru the stress and testing again!

2008-05-15 1:19 PM
in reply to: #1404459

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
medic0020 - 2008-05-15 10:58 AM

Back from my visit to the hematologist and all is well.....Another 6 mos until I have the priveledge of going thru the stress and testing again!

That is good to hear Eric!!  

Greg, I am amazed by your strength to do what is hard but probably best.

I'm done with one test and have one more to go today... this crazy college thing is almost over! 

2008-05-15 5:36 PM
in reply to: #1404911

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
crea0029 - 2008-05-15 11:19 AM

Back from my visit to the hematologist and all is well.....Another 6 mos until I have the priveledge of going thru the stress and testing again!

That is good to hear Eric!!  

Greg, I am amazed by your strength to do what is hard but probably best.

I'm done with one test and have one more to go today... this crazy college thing is almost over! 

good luck Pam - congrats on almost being done! GO GET EM!

2008-05-15 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
medic0020 - 2008-05-15 8:58 AM

Back from my visit to the hematologist and all is well.....Another 6 mos until I have the priveledge of going thru the stress and testing again!

congrats on your doctor visit, but your stress is not done until this fat lady sings...and I sure aint a singing!  

seriously...great news! hope you feel better and kick whatever is ailing you!

2008-05-15 5:54 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Fantastic news!! Time to par-tay...um, I mean wurk-out!! ;-

2008-05-15 6:23 PM
in reply to: #1405586

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California
mman - 2008-05-15 3:54 PM

Fantastic news!! Time to par-tay...um, I mean wurk-out!! ;-

hey Greg, how ya doin? and how is Stef?

2008-05-15 6:27 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

ok, now my dd is all set up with an avatar and all...and she is actually responding to messages now....so go and say hi! her user name is rowertrying2tri I hope you will add her to your friends lists and check in on her on occasion! thanks all!

obtw...my brother sounded so much better today! he is in a lot of pain, but is happy about the outcome! looks as though it was a non cancerous mass....he had what is called diverticulosis. we will let Eric explain it! you go mr. medic!  thanks to all of you for your prayers! I truly appreciate each and every one of you!

2008-05-15 9:37 PM
in reply to: #1405653

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-05-15 6:23 PM
mman - 2008-05-15 3:54 PM

Fantastic news!! Time to par-tay...um, I mean wurk-out!! ;-)

hey Greg, how ya doin? and how is Stef?

We had a good day today. Stef's spirits were back up. Went to our 4th graders choir concert. I don't have any definitive results on my testing yet, but the tech told me things looked very good and she didn't see any regurgitation of my valves - that is an improvement over previous tests and can only be attributed to triathlon training. the stress test computer predicts what I should be able to handle. The tech bumped everything up a level because of my training and I was still nailing the tests. For one of them I asked him how high other patients had been able to get a breathing capacity measurement. He said no one he had seen had ever gone as high as me. I always knew I was full of hot air!! ;-)

As soon as I get permission I have a great pic of stef and my boys to post. they both shaved their heads for her. she's not ready for any pic to be posted, so I'll definitely honor that. she looks really good though.

Thanks for the support all!! 

2008-05-16 11:28 AM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

today is a busy day for me....so here is your inspire! hope everyone has a great Friday!

Thanks Pam for stopping by to say hi to my daughter....she is finally got an avatar and is now actually responding to messages, so go by and say hi! if you can!

HAVE A GREAT DAY ALL! and a FABULOUS WEEKEND TOO!

OBTW...my brother had a good day yesterday and he even had a few BTers who went to visit him at the hospital....they gave me a fabulous report! thanks for all your prayers! you are the best!

2008-05-16 12:38 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Happy Friday to all of you. I'm feeling better today despite working ot last night and less than 3 hrs of sleep. Looking forward to racing a sprint tomorrow even though I don't think I'm ready to go 100% yet.
2008-05-16 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1407148

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

medic0020 - 2008-05-16 10:38 AM Happy Friday to all of you. I'm feeling better today despite working ot last night and less than 3 hrs of sleep. Looking forward to racing a sprint tomorrow even though I don't think I'm ready to go 100% yet.

go get em Eric....you will do great! have a fun race....look forward to your race report!

2008-05-16 6:02 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Hi Julie... how are you today!?  I notice you are online!  Any plans this weekend!?
2008-05-16 6:50 PM
in reply to: #1408006

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

crea0029 - 2008-05-16 4:02 PM Hi Julie... how are you today!?  I notice you are online!  Any plans this weekend!?

Hi Pam...no not really...got to clean, cuz my dad is coming to stay a few days with us next week....so, trying to get ready for him....plus I can barely move now....it is sooooooo durn hot here and our house does not have air conditioning...it says it is 86 degrees inside...and that is cooking for me! I am used to the outside weather being in the mid 70's not upper 90's....what about you? I saw that you said you are packing...are you heading home? or did you find a job?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73