2011-11-23 8:43 AM
in reply to: #3911926

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
DirkP - 2011-11-22 2:27 PM
JeffY - 2011-11-21 10:12 AM

I really want to see Dirk's run video!  Remember how I said that many 'unconventional' running styles work out just fine?  I'm open-minded.  Besides, he runs a marathon faster than I do (not that I would know how fast I could run a marathon).

It's only fair then that I make one too.

Here is my run video for your viewing dis-pleasure.  I cut it into one 4:15 video with the beginning at an easy 8:00 pace with a side and back view.  Then I cut to a pace that is probably a little faster than a 5k pace for me, with side and back views as well.

When I began recording I had already run 3 miles to allow my legs a little bit of fatigue so if I got a little sloppy you guys might notice and let me know any problems.  The first 3 miles were at the 8:00 pace.  I also had fans set in several locations today.  Kind of my bike set up for cooling since I almost NEVER run on the treadmill.

I am going to post this in the main forum too.  Let everyone see the short fat slow guy run, I guess.

Edit:

Oh yeah, I didn't realize that the screen was going to be cut off at the bottom and top until after I viewed the first segment.  I tried to reframe the shots from the side but it still doesn't look like I got my footfall very well.  The 5k side shot will be the closest.

Hahaha, you kill me.

2011-11-23 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

NH

I am no running guru, but Dirk's form looks great to me.  Very relaxed, very quiet, very steady, not much bouncing, no over striding.  No reason he can't run fast and injury free!  I'll get mine up over the weekend so there will be some fodder to laugh at.

On a side note, and not to sound too gross, but one great thing I get out of this group is that you don't have to be anorexic to be pretty good at this sport.  Many of the good runners/bikers I see have bodies I would not want to emulate.  I like seeing all you guys and knowing that someone with some meat on their bones can still get pretty fast.  My genetic code says "hockey player", so there's no way I could get to a Schleck-type body, nor do I really want to.

And "8 minute" and "easy pace" do NOT belong together!

2011-11-23 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3913247

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
wbayek - 2011-11-23 12:10 PM

I am no running guru, but Dirk's form looks great to me.  Very relaxed, very quiet, very steady, not much bouncing, no over striding.  No reason he can't run fast and injury free!  I'll get mine up over the weekend so there will be some fodder to laugh at.

On a side note, and not to sound too gross, but one great thing I get out of this group is that you don't have to be anorexic to be pretty good at this sport.  Many of the good runners/bikers I see have bodies I would not want to emulate.  I like seeing all you guys and knowing that someone with some meat on their bones can still get pretty fast.  My genetic code says "hockey player", so there's no way I could get to a Schleck-type body, nor do I really want to.

I had to laugh at that comment!  One day I would love for someone to tell me that a "7 minute pace and easy don't go together" but I am not expecting that in the foreseeable future.

I also agree that I don't want the Schleck body type either.  I think many of those guys have the anorexic look to them too.  I actually would like to have the arms and chest I had when I was power lifting.  I saw a guy a couple of years ago that hadn't seen me for several years and he didn't recognize me because I had a much smaller frame.  All he could say was "you used to have some big guns."  At the peak of my lifting I was able to bench 2x my body weight and I had the arms and chest to go with it.  (The 2x max was with a bench shirt though.)

Thanks for the take on my running form.  I often wonder what I look like when I run but until that video I had never seen myself and I am not sure I could really advise anyone or their form either.  I think I can help amateurs with training ideas and techniques but not form.

2011-11-23 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3911926

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Dirk, you also have Yeager-approved running form. Put that on your Boston entry and they are sure to let you in!Ok a couple of small things.....but just know these are educated guesses. Anyone who says otherwise can't be trusted. First, even though i Can't be sure from video, I get the distinct impression that your knees are relaxed at touchdown. Look at the rear shots and notice the logo on your shirt at the base of the neck. It doesn't need to move left/right. That is because your torso is twisting with each stride. That is solved by relaxing the obliques and abs as well as shoulders, so the arms can swing more freely. But that's not a big deal.I noticed at easy pace your stride rate was well below 90 strides per minute. I don't believe that 90 is ideal as some teach, but I do think there is some merit in the idea that stride rate is a bit of a constant for an individual regardless of pace. So, at race pace I counted 90. So what I suggest is that you slow and lengthen your stride at race pace to equal the cadence you have at your training pace. Stride is lengthened not by reaching forward further, but by extending further backwards. Keep the toes on the ground as long as you can. You may lack some flexibility in the hips. I think there is a good chance this can yield good improvement in your race pace efficiency.
2011-11-23 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3913247

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-11-23 11:10 AM

Regarding body type... There is no breaking the laws of physics. Weight determines how much energy it takes to cover a distance. But I like to imagine I'm the best 'quadrathlete' out there. That's the best weighted score of triathlon and strength! (or add kickboxing after running....I have a blackbelt)But the truth is that I dropped 5 minutes from my SPRINT tris when I allowed myself to drop 20lbs of muscle. But for perspective, that's my light self in my avatar photo. The girlfriend of the guy I was running down in that race is a personal trainer, and as I ran past her she looked to my girlfriend next to her and said: "he is muscular! I took that as a double victory since I also beat him in the race.
2011-11-23 8:19 PM
in reply to: #3913708

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-11-23 8:44 PM

Regarding body type... There is no breaking the laws of physics. Weight determines how much energy it takes to cover a distance. But I like to imagine I'm the best 'quadrathlete' out there. That's the best weighted score of triathlon and strength! (or add kickboxing after running....I have a blackbelt)But the truth is that I dropped 5 minutes from my SPRINT tris when I allowed myself to drop 20lbs of muscle. But for perspective, that's my light self in my avatar photo. The girlfriend of the guy I was running down in that race is a personal trainer, and as I ran past her she looked to my girlfriend next to her and said: "he is muscular! I took that as a double victory since I also beat him in the race.
when I run by, she says. " that guy is awkward". What does THIS mean? I actually looked at your avatar and thought it was the incredible hulk minus the green.

2011-11-23 10:14 PM
in reply to: #3913737

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
There's no awkward in your run! You look the part of an incredible triathlete! So there's nothing holding you back.
2011-11-23 11:02 PM
in reply to: #3913737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
jgerbodegrant - 2011-11-23 9:19 PM
JeffY - 2011-11-23 8:44 PM

when I run by, she says. " that guy is awkward". What does THIS mean? I actually looked at your avatar and thought it was the incredible hulk minus the green.
Wait, there are spectators at these triathlons? Every time I finish everything is being packed up and all that is there is a note saying to turn off the lights when your done!
2011-11-24 8:11 AM

User image

NH

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Lot's of great comments on here.  Love the comment about spectators Matt.  I agree with Jonathan on that avatar.  Regarding body type - I guess I've never been muscular at that level, but all my weight is from my belly button to mid-thigh.  I was/am very strong on my skates and unmovable in the corners, but all that butt/thigh weight doesn't seem to help much when I'm running!  As the linemen on my high school team used to say about me (I was the running back) - he's not big, but he's slow.

2011-11-24 8:41 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Happy Thanksgiving to some of the craziest turkeys I know.
2011-11-24 9:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Happy thanksgiving to everyone! Also it is that time if year where you have to pick sides and prepare for the annual OSU vs meatchikens game! The streak of buckeye victories will continue, Go Bucks!

2011-11-24 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3914025

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

mambos - 2011-11-24 10:33 AM Happy thanksgiving to everyone! Also it is that time if year where you have to pick sides and prepare for the annual OSU vs meatchikens game! The streak of buckeye victories will continue, Go Bucks!

I'm picking my side Matt.............

GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-11-24 9:09 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I cant' get to the official results for my race today but the unofficial results are:

100th overall out of at least 1120.  ( I am not sure how many actually ran and the number comes from the earliest results posted from the race.  I heard there were over 2000 at the race.  I'll wait until I can get to some official results later.

3rd for my AG out of at least 66. (Same here with the numbers as the above.)

4 miles at 25:55 for a 6:29 average.  About 1 second per mile faster than my goal.  I'll try yo write up a RR tomorrow.

2011-11-25 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3913806

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-11-23 11:14 PMThere's no awkward in your run! You look the part of an incredible triathlete! So there's nothing holding you back.
Just read this Jeff but it made my day. Thanks man. Awesome run dirk. Every once in a while I will see a pace like that on my graph from my runs, like when I'm crossing the street or something. :-)
2011-11-25 5:18 PM
in reply to: #3914638

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Thanks Jonathon.  I do like to race, that's for sure.  I sometimes wonder why I am doing it during the races though.  When I start hurting is when I begin to consider never racing again.  But that passes as soon as I catch my breath after the finishing line.

Here is the Gobbler RR from yesterday.  I still don't have the official results and I have looked several times today and last night.  I imagine the standings will remain the same.  At least I hope they do!  I was a little disappointed that there was no awards handed out after the race.  But I understand that everyone wanted to get to their Thanksgiving festivities with their families too.

I am also trying to post my RR to facebook but it won't let right now for some reason.

Edit:

As for the "turkeys" in this group I think you're the largest by far, and I am pretty certain even you can't argue with that.

Edited by DirkP 2011-11-25 5:19 PM
2011-11-25 5:28 PM

User image

NH

Videos for your viewing pleasure:

Long run pace:

http://youtu.be/fpoFdjg-trE

5k pace:

http://youtu.be/2QgBFpvN6hs

2011-11-26 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3915042

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am not much for being able to view and critique someone's running form but I think yours looks fine.   

You don't seem to have a lot of upper body rotation (which is good) and it looks like you might mildly over-pronate or be pretty close to neutral to me.

Hopefully you'll get to be able to get that large running volume over the winter and really fell the speed come out and be ready to play next racing season.

2011-11-26 10:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

My son Isaac just finished his 1st 5K in a time of 32minutes.  Just like the number on his bib he took 1st in his AG!  I am so proud of him, now to get him some training and he should be ready for the start of the 5K season in April! The bad part is he will probably be faster than me!

Isaacs 1st 5K

2011-11-26 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3915439

User image

NH
DirkP - 2011-11-26 11:03 AM

I am not much for being able to view and critique someone's running form but I think yours looks fine.   

You don't seem to have a lot of upper body rotation (which is good) and it looks like you might mildly over-pronate or be pretty close to neutral to me.

Hopefully you'll get to be able to get that large running volume over the winter and really fell the speed come out and be ready to play next racing season.

Thanks for watching Dirk.  I compared a video from when I first started running a little over a year and half ago (no, I'm posting that one!).  I've made no conscious effort to change my running style, but a few things really jump out. Though I still over-pronate, it's way better than it was.  My shoes used to have no wear on the inside heel and the outside would be gone.  Now it's closer at least.  My head bobs a lot less, my stride rate is much higher, my arms used to cross in front like I was boxing.

mambos - 2011-11-26 11:43 AM

My son Isaac just finished his 1st 5K in a time of 32minutes.  Just like the number on his bib he took 1st in his AG!  I am so proud of him, now to get him some training and he should be ready for the start of the 5K season in April! The bad part is he will probably be faster than me!

That's awesome, your influence is positive!  I can't wait for my son(s) to be faster than me, it shouldn't be long.

2011-11-26 6:56 PM
in reply to: #3915473

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
mambos - 2011-11-26 11:43 AM

That's awesome Matt.  I think it can be really important to get your family involved at an early age.  I think to many kids get too much xbox and not enough outside time.  You are providing a healthy example for a positive future and a potentially strong athletic middle and high school career.

Plus, you can share in the training time with him.  This could be some serious quality father/family time.

2011-11-28 9:02 AM
in reply to: #3915529

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Happy post Thanksgiving to all!

Warren, I see what you mean about being the immovable skater!  Good build for a football lineman too.  Your physique is gifted toward sports other than triathlon!  So if you can't run 5:00 miles, let's settle for 6:00 miles OK?

You mentioned a good positive change in your running style since you first began which is pretty awesome....and those changes just happen through repitition.  I watched a triathlete friend of mine for over a year who went from looking like a non-runner to looking like a fluid runner.  I just noticed this during easy training runs.  And just after I noticed it, he proved it in a race we did together where he ran pretty close to my pace.  He actually closed the gap on me in the run during a year that I focused on the run and improved dramatically myself.

There is nothing about your gait that stands out as needing fixing.  You seem a little too straight upright.  But I'm a bit agnostic on this topic.  I think we naturally find our center of gravity and this must be yours.  There was no over striding.  Your stride rate (at least in your 5k pace run) looked to be about 88 strides/min.  That's a fine number.  But your strides did look a little shorter than necessary, but that's up to personal factors such as flexibility and leg strength vs. body weight.    You will naturally find the right mechanics at a given pace through lots and lots of running.

So in all regards, keep up what you're doing and continue to run frequently.  Your treadmill has LOTS of flex which protects you from pounding.  So don't hesitate to do a lot of training on that treadmill.  But always work on that light landing.  Think of that often as you run and continue to make that adjustment.

And about the pronation...don't stress on it.  It's a natural biomechanical process that attenuates impact.  It's actually good for you.  It's not always so good for running shoes, but it's good for your body.  It's not the great evil that we've always been told.  One of the worst pronators I've ever seen was back in high school....he was the top HS runner in the state of Minnesota.  Didn't struggle with injuries and ran like a beast despite practically running on his ankles!

I don't want to be anything other than encouraging (except truthful), but if you can lose 5=10lbs from your mid section your run will improve in a very dramatic way. 

2011-11-28 10:57 AM

User image

NH

Thanks for all the advice Jeff.  I have very thick skin and an overinflated view of self from growing up in a large Italian family - so absolutely no worries on saying whatever you need to in order to help me out.  My goal is to become the best triathlete I can and there's nothing you could say that would bum me out as long as intended to improve me.

On the mid-section - I think the 5-10 pounds is overly generous.  After I lose 10 I'll probably be within another 10 of a reasonable weight for me.  My goal this year is to get under 170 by the spring half marathon.  I'm at 190 right now, which is about 10 up from my end of summer race weight.
2011-11-29 1:58 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Anyone interested in a Timex Global Trainer for cheap?  I run a lot in the woods and my 305 just does a better job of keeping my pace up to date.  I've never had a problem with it in a race, but then again, I don't do any xterras or anything like that.

So I didn't mean to, but family got in the way this weekend and I couldn't do my Sunday run.  Yesterday's run was awesome.  My legs barefly felt tired at all.  No soreness, very easy breathing.  I ran 4.2 at 9:22 pace at 144 HR.  Not sure where that came from, but I like it.

2011-11-29 6:04 PM
in reply to: #3919242

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I am going to be set for a watch in about 27 days (as I understand it).  I am actually getting a choice between the Garmin 310XT or the 910XT.  I actually am not sure which one I will choose.  Obviously I want the 910 but I feel like there are some complications.

The 910 has more bells and whistles but some of them aren't really all that important right now.  The barometric altimeter and the swim stroke and lap swimming measurements aren't something that is particularly high on a "want" list for me.  The one big thing that seems to stick out to me is the vibrate alerts that can be set up for laps as well as nutrition alerts during long distance events.  I think they call it the Run/Walkmode (See the DC Rainmaker review here for more info). The open water swimming algorithms that smooth OWS tracks for references on a mapping system would be nice but, again, not something that is a huge deal.

The 310 has many more bells and whistles than the 305 I am used too just minus the things above.  It has the 20 hour battery life, 50 meter depth in water, ANT+ wireless sync (I really like that), faster GPS acquisition and it has a vibrate alert for laps and other uses.  I don't think the alerts will work the same for the 310 as the 910.

The bigger deal is the price:

910XT is $450 with HR monitor $400 without.

310XT is $350 with HR monitor $290 without.

I can use the current HR strap for my 305 to save $50 either way.

Thoughts????

2011-11-29 9:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
A watch that you can swim with? I am changing my wish list! Too bad I just bought my 305! On a different topic I completed a few bare foot laps today, and to say the least it was odd! I have always thought my heel contacted first but never really thought much of it! But running bare foot when the heel strikes first it almost feels as if I am driving my heel into the floor, probably the best way to describe it is to imagine slamming on the brakes! I changed my form to land more on the ball of my foot and this created other issues! Or at least strain where I wasn't use to it, my calves felt as if I was doing raises as I ran around the track! Any thoughts on how to adjust landing or what the best landing would be? Under normal conditions I do not land hard, or at least there isn't a lot of noise! I have noticed that on a treadmill when I try to land on the balls of my feet there is a noticeable increase in pounding, which would be the opposite from the barefoot running! My main concern is the off and on knee pain that I experience, becoming annoying more than anything!

Edited by mambos 2011-11-29 9:34 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64