University of St. Francis
36F / 2C
Overcast
Total Time = 25m 55s
Overall Rank = 100/3074
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/128
Pre-race routine:

I woke up early as usual and got started the same as I usually do. Coffee, a light breakfast and, since the race was local, relaxed and went about a normal morning routine.
Event warmup:

I got the start time mixed up today. I was pretty sure the race was supposed to start at 8AM but it turned out it was an 8:30 start.
I didn't find out the start was later until after I did my 1 mile warm up. The warm up consisted of a little bit of stretching and a progressive run. I started very easy and progressed up to a fairly fast pace. The average pace was about 7:23 for the first warm up.
I did another warm up about 10 minutes before the correct race start but this was a little shorter and a little faster to get a bit of sweat going and put the legs back into race mode.
Run
  • 25m 55s
  • 4 miles
  • 06m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I positioned myself in the front quarter of the field to make sure I didn't have to deal with any walkers or slower people. I was trying to hit a certain pace for today and a possible podium, so I didn't want to be slowed up much near the start.
I started off pretty hard and wasn't sure I could sustain the pace I was doing for the first .25 miles. According to my Garmin I was running a 5:58 pace (at the time) and I was sure I couldn't hold that for the entire race. I began to back the pace down to what was faster than planned but closer to my goal pace. According to Garmin, I had a stretch where I was running 11.4 mph or 5:18 in this first mile. But the first mile was almost entirely down a gradual hill.
The hills weren't anything I haven't learned to deal with for pacing and strategy. I ran the hills the way I have learned to, even pace up and allow my legs to carry me down. This method worked again as it has in previous races this season.
For the last half mile I wanted to run a little faster than I did but I had spread my effort out to much over the race thus far that I couldn't really pick up the pace much. I did have enough left to try to run as fast as I could for the last .10 mile, but I wouldn't be able to call it a sprint. I was too wasted to be able to put that kind of effort out.

What would you do differently?:

I think this was a pretty well executed race for me. I thought a 6:30 pace was a pretty aggressive goal time but I also thought it was achievable. I wouldn't change anything.
With peak speeds of 5:18 and peak HR of 179 I was probably pretty close to the red line for much of this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Took a few minutes to catch my wind again and went and took some pictures of some other other runners I knew as they came into the finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training. There isn't anything else. I am as fast as I think I can be right now for the level of training I am willing to put in.

Event comments:

I love this race! I still can't put together why this race appeals to me so much but I will continue to run it as long as I am willing and able.
I would like to see the online posting of the official results a little sooner. As of right now, nothing has been posted yet 8AM Friday morning. I also understand it is a Thanksgiving Day race so I certainly understand not putting a high priority on posting the results.
As big as this race is I would think there would be some type of awards too. I have seen them in the past here (a few years ago) and this year I stuck around to see because I knew I had a shot at an award. I run this race and others for the enjoyment of running and the sport and not for the awards. But I have seen much smaller races have awards.

Results: http://www.veepraces.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/GG-results-Firs...

Last updated: 2010-12-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:25:55 | 04 miles | 06m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/128
Overall: 100/3074
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 6:18 avg HR 166 Mile 2 - 6:31 avg HR 169 Mile 3 - 6:40 avg HR 167 Mile 4 - 6:27 avg HR 167 Max HR 179
Course: The course is all small rolling hills with few flat stretches. All of the hills are short with a couple of slightly steeper climbs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-11-25 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Galloping Gobbler 4 Mile

2011-11-25 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3915011

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Galloping Gobbler 4 Mile
Another unreal race.  You definitely have the racing part down; I agree with your analysis that you race to your current fitness level, which is quite high.  I think you leave nothing on the table.  Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Galloping Gobbler 4 Mile Rss Feed