BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-08-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by wannabefaster

I know that there are a lot of strong opinions out there about Endurance Nation....... If you have not read their four keys to IM execution, it is well worth the read.

http://www.endurancenation.us/blog/team-en/four-keys-of-ironman-exe...

It is a really smart way to look at IM participation/execution.

Thanks for the tip; I've already watched these videos quite a few times! I am going to be following a lot of what he says in the video, especially what he says about hydration!

2013-08-18 6:02 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by Experior

Sounds like you are being wise. Here are my personal 'top ten' things that you surely know, but it is probably a good idea for all of us to be reminded:

Good luck! I'll try to follow you on race day.

Thanks for the help, especially your personal tips on the course!
2013-08-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
Race report from this weekend. Overall I'm really pleased, just wish I could swim a little faster, good goal for this off season.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...
2013-08-19 12:48 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Holy hell...she damn near killed us! She. Is. A. Beast. The windows in the room were all fogged up, and some people wrote "R.I.P" and "Help us!" with the hope that the people outside the spin room would come to our aid. Nada!

That is AWESOME!
2013-08-19 12:51 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Champion
WOOOO IM HERE!!! Patient no showed on me...so I'm perusing the forums.

Its test week for me. 1000m TT tonight....bah...haha
2013-08-20 9:30 AM
in reply to: mndymond

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Wake up lazy people!! HEH! Well, I overslept anyway!

23 mile group ride last night - but OH YEAH it was over 1,900' of climbing. DEAD tired today.

10k coming up on Sunday. It's no IM Louisville but it'll be fun

Have a good day all!

2013-08-20 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Denton

I am awake ... almost overslept myself. :-)

My coach has a challenge out there ... its called the Dreadmill 1 mile challenge. We all met at the local bike shop last night. He got a treadmill that goes up to an incline of 14%. Winner is the person who can run the mile at 14% incline the fastest. It took me 14:40 minutes to finish. That was a rough one. Last years winner and current 1st place runner completed it in 8:42 minutes. He usually runs a 5.30 something min/mile at a Sprint Tri. 

Other than that ... nothing new to report here. 

2013-08-20 5:25 PM
in reply to: d3term1ned

User image

Master
South Alabama

Randee-that sounds like quite a ride with that much elevation gain. I'd still be sleeping.

Michael/d3-that sounds brutally fun. What a challenge. Would be fun to try......once.

Nothing exciting here. Really tough bike workout done.....well, it did me in. Since I have shifted to short course racing my bike workouts have more short hard intervals. Definitely have to train my brain to handle the intensity as well as my legs.

OK, I may have asked the group before, if so I'm sorry, but I'm at a real lull with my Netflix programming on the bike right now. Waiting for some of my series favorites (Homeland and Breaking Bad) to come out with their new season.  Any suggestions for good movies or TV series to consider. I'm working on House of Cards right now and its pretty good but my queue is looking pretty thin. Thanks

2013-08-20 5:37 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by slornow

I may have asked the group before, if so I'm sorry, but I'm at a real lull with my Netflix programming on the bike right now. Waiting for some of my series favorites (Homeland and Breaking Bad) to come out with their new season.  Any suggestions for good movies or TV series to consider. I'm working on House of Cards right now and its pretty good but my queue is looking pretty thin. Thanks

series' I love:
Nurse Jackie
House of Lies
Newsroom
VEEP (2nd season funnier than the first OMG)
Arrested Development

old school
Curb your enthusiasm
Monk (I actually love this while on the trainer - no brainer but cutesy)

(and yep, waiting for Homeland myself!!)

Can you tell I'm a cable junkie? I just can't stand most of network tv these days.....
Need more?
2013-08-20 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Randy, they just added two series called Long Way Round and Long Way Down, in which Ewan McGregor and a friend ride their motorcycles around the world, in the first one. Then, in Long Way Down, they ride to Africa. I love them; I've probably watched both series twice. Others I've watched/liked: Breaking Bad, MadMen, Louis CK standup, Margin Call (great movie), Orange is the New Black, Louie (the show).

I got in a 45-minute run today. I was supposed to do a swim, but my dog, Golden Retriever, has crazy allergies and I ended up trying to handle him: bath, dry, watch for hot spots. I love 'em, but he sure is high maintenance. I'm stressed about missing the swim, but I keep telling myself that everyone says I won't lose all my fitness this week. Taper week sure is its own challenge.
2013-08-20 10:04 PM

User image

New user
Jason, glad you weren't hurt beyond the scrapes, skin debridement!

Randy, Chattanooga is exciting. I may have to spectate next year since it is in my state!

I am done with my tri events for the summer but I am riding the MS 150 in a couple of weeks and have a century ride early October. This week will be a 100 mile bike 25 mile run training week if all goes as planned.

Last Sunday I had a dog come at me very aggressively and another rider was bit during our ride. I also had a rider fall directly in front of me. In the swerve I almost made it around him but my pedal caught his helmet as I went by. Punched in a hole in it but I am very happy he wasn't injured. The risks of this become very apparent as I step up my riding. I am really liking this but I will be riding with more distance between myself and others when I can!

Mary

2013-08-21 9:59 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
I am still sore but improving. All of the scabs are getting stiff so when I move they 'pull' a bit. Small price to pay. Again, so fortunate to have walked away as unscathed as I did last weekend.

Training has been a little sucky this week. The body is struggling a bit but that is to be expected at this volume. Also, my pool is closed for the month of August which has really thrown a wrench in to the swim training. I guess maybe it is fortunate because they probably would not have let me in with all of my open wounds. I have been swimming (very intermittently) in the lake behind a buddy's house.

I know that this season is not over and that I have one small race still left on my schedule....... but I am starting to plan out 2014. I have promised my wife no full IM in 2014 (although I said something about signing up for IMMT and she waffled a little bit...... and Louisville often stays open until late in the year if she weakens)

I have already signed up for an Olympic the weekend of June 27-29 that is being done in conjunction with the ITU race being held in Chicago.

I am very seriously thinking about doing the American Triple-T on the weekend of May 15-17 (sprint on Friday, two different Olympics on Saturday and a 70.3 on Sunday). I have read that this is a truly epic weekend that will never be forgotten. It is pretty rustic as far as facilities so my wife has already told me she is not coming.

I want to race another Marathon (chasing the elusive sub three hour goal) and my wife wants to go to Italy. Rome Marathon the weekend of March 23? Maybe. That will force me to keep up some serious run training over the winter, which is part of my plan.

This gives me a race in March, May and June. I will probably run a local half marathon in April. I will need to find a July and August 70.3 as I wanted to do at least three halfs this year. There is a fairly new, local, half in MI in August. It might fit nicely. Steelhead is also in August in Michigan but it might not fit in to the family schedule even if it fits right in to the race schedule July is Muncie which I have done in the past and really enjoyed. It is driveable and my wife liked it too so that fits the bill. I may look at a September 70.3 as well. If lightning were to strike, a trip back to Mont Tremblant for 70.3 "worlds" would be pretty darn cool.

Well, a lot of rambling. Sort of a train-of-thought, free-form post about 'how I plan my schedule.' Of course, I have to email my coach and make sure that he is on board with this schedule as well.

Hope all of your training is going great and that you all keep the rubber side down on your bikes

Edited by wannabefaster 2013-08-21 11:06 AM
2013-08-21 11:09 AM

User image

Expert

Jason - good to hear you are OK! Bike too!

My training has eased a bit with IM WI out of the picture. Looking forward to sending my second off to college next week Can't wait to watch him play Rugby at the collegiate level. I've been working almost every day this summer. This week, I managed to get out of the hospital each day so far, for 8 mile runs! I'm moonlighting at a small hospital north of me and I found awesome running paths along a river that is part of a larger trail system known as the White Pine Trail. My understanding is this trail spans over 90 miles! I absolutely love training when I'm on the clock. The weather's been hot again, but I don't mind because it sure beats winter. Looking at next year, I'm contemplating IM Texas in May. I've done it twice so far, and it is a great way to help me get through the long winter.

Well back to work...
2013-08-21 12:52 PM
in reply to: jimmyb

User image

Master
South Alabama

Hello everyone-just got back from a spectacularly crappy swim. Made it through warm up and first set of intervals then kind of bonked and struggled through the last 1000 or so yards. I usually take a bottle with a really light mix of sports drink with me to the pool but forgot today. That plus several hours since eating and I guess I was low on gas. More bike intervals tonight then an early run tomorrow on the treadmill before getting on the road to take our youngest to college.

Next year?  I've started giving it some thought. I liked doing a couple of early season HIM events as it gives me some focus over the Winter and the training for those events really builds a nice base. May look at doing the Galveston HIM in early April or possibly New Orleans. Will do several local sprints in the Spring that are team events. Planning on going back to Milwaukee for Nationals in early August to try to earn a spot for the WC in Chicago in 2015. Have not ruled out the WC in Edmonton in late August. Got the email from USAT and it was $50 to hold my spot so I figured it was worth $50 to hold the spot, get an idea on cost and see if its worthwhile.

The rest of 2013 has me doing an olympic at the Gulf on Sept. 7 and maybe another sprint in October. Maybe a few running races over the Winter. Its been a good year so far!  

2013-08-21 2:57 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

My last long run and long ride are officially behind me as of today.  Still have a key double brick this weekend, but I'm actually looking forward to it.  The temps in WI have heated up, 92F for my ride today which is a good 20F warmer than last week's BIG DAY.  Good practice just in case IM WI is warm once again.

I won't start thinking seriously about '14 until we get back from Africa post IM.  I do know that I won't be doing IM WI this year, 5 in a row is a little much even when you live on the course.  The only sure thing is Boston at this point.  

I know of one person racing this weekend Laughing, anyone else?

2013-08-21 5:37 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

New user
Fernley, NV
I've got the last race of this session of racing this Saturday a short sprint and the last reverse of the year. I'm pretty sure I'll do one more race in October it will be my first OWS and the bike is draft legal, so I'm looking forward to that.

I think for 2014 I'm going to look at doing a HIM I've got it down to three choices Boise (never sure about the weather), St. George (the bike course is a little unsettling I don't climb well), Lake Stevens (furthest away but also the longest time frame) anyone have any input on those three. I'm going to do a HM at some point this fall, just so I know I can do it.

2013-08-21 5:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
I just got back from picking up my bike from its tune-up. I'm going to hop on and do my last pre-IM brick workout...and I'm definitely freaking out. I'm pretty sure I was in Z2 just standing at the checkout counter with my bike. It's getting pretty real now...

I have some ideas for the rest of the season, and next year, but I can't think past Sunday yet.
2013-08-21 7:45 PM

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Long run today. 10 miles and, surprisingly, was a really good one. I'm quite surprised with my long runs since I've gone back to work and have to workout after 9 hours on my feet. It's a nice surprise to boot. I'm running about 45 seconds/mile slower than I was over the winter months, but my pace is consistent and I can keep my heartrate and breathing within that 3-4 rate of exertion. I didn't feel like I was going to die once tonight.

Yay!
2013-08-22 4:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I just got back from picking up my bike from its tune-up. I'm going to hop on and do my last pre-IM brick workout...and I'm definitely freaking out. I'm pretty sure I was in Z2 just standing at the checkout counter with my bike. It's getting pretty real now...

I have some ideas for the rest of the season, and next year, but I can't think past Sunday yet.

Just remember to enjoy it. You've been given some great advice by everyone on here, and you've done all the work. From this point on it's completely about the mental side. The one piece of advice that I heard AFTER my first IM, that I wished I'd been told before it, was don't rush over the finish line. Take the time to enjoy the feeling and the moment. And enjoy the whole experience.

I can't wait to hear how it goes :-)
2013-08-22 5:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Originally posted by wannabefaster

Hope all of your training is going great and that you all keep the rubber side down on your bikes

This was going to be my one piece of advice to Jamie for the week before IM ;-)

Glad you're healing ok. Hope you're back to a full layer of skin soon.

I've been having a rough couple of weeks, both personally and in terms of training. Although it's likely that it's all connected. I had a little over a week where I just didn't seem to be able to sleep, and as a result was struggling both at work and in my training.

I've finally decided to just give myself a little down time. I'm having a break from running because my left big toe nail is in the process of detaching itself from my toe (post-outlaw "injury"), and I'd really like it to stay on if possible. I really want to swim, but circumstances have been working against me and I haven't made it to the pool in almost a month. I've also been having problems with my shoulder (AC joint is still stuffed from last year's crash). And I've been doing some cycling, but don't seem to be recovering and my quads are fried. So I'm taking it easy and just hoping that if I can stay active and recover I'll be ok with our bike ride to Paris (2 weeks on Saturday we leave!).

Yesterday I went hiking with my parents, which was a nice change, and I figured it's good to do stuff that's active and enjoyable, but not formal training when I'm feeling like this...

We've started talking about races for next year, but haven't reached any decisions yet. Kevin is being an IM snob, and so is talking about IM UK. I don't really want to do it, because by all accounts it's a fairly terrible race (split transitions and finish, so you have to trek all over to get your stuff afterwards, bad road quality, and the support isn't very good) - although it was taken over by a new franchise holder this year, and I haven't heard any reports about this year's race yet. I'm thinking about doing Outlaw again. It was a great race with good support, and I really liked the course. I like the idea of trying to do it again and get a good time. It's also significantly cheaper! We have discussed the option of doing different races, because then we could be "support crew" for each other...

I'm also thinking about doing a HIM next year. The Outlaw has a half that's about 6 weeks beforehand. Does anyone know how well that would work in terms of preparation/build etc? I've never done more than one "long" race in a year, so it would be a new challenge.
2013-08-22 6:03 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Originally posted by glfprncs

Long run today. 10 miles and, surprisingly, was a really good one. I'm quite surprised with my long runs since I've gone back to work and have to workout after 9 hours on my feet. It's a nice surprise to boot. I'm running about 45 seconds/mile slower than I was over the winter months, but my pace is consistent and I can keep my heartrate and breathing within that 3-4 rate of exertion. I didn't feel like I was going to die once tonight.

Yay!

Yay indeed! Running slower in this ridiculous humidity as compared with winter running is totally normal, even setting any fitness differences aside. For people running in the 7:30-10:30/mile range (give or take) the usual formula is around 10s/mile slower per 10 degrees difference. The effect is more pronounced for long runs and less for shorter runs.

[EDIT: removed a wayward 'not'.]

Edited by Experior 2013-08-22 7:20 AM

2013-08-22 6:16 AM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
WOW it really sounds like everyone's seasons are winding down - and there's all this talk about next year!!

Well for me for next year, the only two things I'm committing to is an Olympic in July and a HIM in September! The HIM sells out so I'll be committing to that Oct 31st of this year! Crazy.

But this year isn't over - I have one more sprint, and 2 duathlons and a boat load of 5ks.

I'm off today for my company picnic.......kayaking, canoeing, swimming, volleyball etc. Should be a good time.

Have a good day all!

R
2013-08-22 8:50 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
So, I have been talking up about how I am healing nicely but I have still been having a lot of pain in my elbow. One of the benefits of working in an OR is access to pretty high-tech medical equipment. Like X-ray machines. Stuck my arm in a C-arm X-ray and I have a small fracture of my olecranon (think point of your elbow). It doesn't really hurt while running or swimming or really doing anything........except when I get in aero and have to rest my arm on the pads. Then it hurts a lot. Interestingly, if I grit my teeth and tolerate it for a minute or so, the pain eases up and I am good.

I talked with one of the orthopedic surgeons here who says that it is a completely insignificant fracture that is totally stable, doesn't require intervention, is in a great spot and that I should have no restrictions and can do whatever I can tolerate (which is everything related to triathlon) so no change in plans for Tahoe.

Just sharing.
2013-08-22 10:26 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by wannabefaster So, I have been talking up about how I am healing nicely but I have still been having a lot of pain in my elbow. One of the benefits of working in an OR is access to pretty high-tech medical equipment. Like X-ray machines. Stuck my arm in a C-arm X-ray and I have a small fracture of my olecranon (think point of your elbow). It doesn't really hurt while running or swimming or really doing anything........except when I get in aero and have to rest my arm on the pads. Then it hurts a lot. Interestingly, if I grit my teeth and tolerate it for a minute or so, the pain eases up and I am good. I talked with one of the orthopedic surgeons here who says that it is a completely insignificant fracture that is totally stable, doesn't require intervention, is in a great spot and that I should have no restrictions and can do whatever I can tolerate (which is everything related to triathlon) so no change in plans for Tahoe. Just sharing.

Well, that's a lucky break, ha ha!

Rachel, the timing of the HIM seems perfect leading up to an IM.  I've done it that way and it allows you test out a bunch of things before the A race.

Raining cats and dogs here.  So glad I was able to do my long ride yesterday!

2013-08-22 12:28 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Originally posted by wannabefaster So, I have been talking up about how I am healing nicely but I have still been having a lot of pain in my elbow. One of the benefits of working in an OR is access to pretty high-tech medical equipment. Like X-ray machines. Stuck my arm in a C-arm X-ray and I have a small fracture of my olecranon (think point of your elbow). It doesn't really hurt while running or swimming or really doing anything........except when I get in aero and have to rest my arm on the pads. Then it hurts a lot. Interestingly, if I grit my teeth and tolerate it for a minute or so, the pain eases up and I am good. I talked with one of the orthopedic surgeons here who says that it is a completely insignificant fracture that is totally stable, doesn't require intervention, is in a great spot and that I should have no restrictions and can do whatever I can tolerate (which is everything related to triathlon) so no change in plans for Tahoe. Just sharing.

Well, that's a lucky break, ha ha!

Beat me to it... Glad you're OK Jason.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88