BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 68

2013-10-18 8:44 AM
in reply to: Mike_D

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Subject: RE: Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed
1.9 million calories, based on a 2,000 calorie/day diet, is enought to keep someone going for over 2.5 years.

2013-10-18 9:22 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
I think we have found a new source of renewable energy......Steve!
2013-10-19 6:36 AM
in reply to: squirt

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Irony...what usually happens when you have a bad run...you have a good run and that's exactly what happened today. I was up with the sun (which I love) and had a really good 6 miler. I was in sync with my pace and I felt really strong....I was on pace with what I usually run my 3 milers in (sadly, about 9min pace right now) so I'll take it.

Today includes my sons soccer game, family Halloween party, and of course my beloved Red Sox game for a nightcap. Have a good day everyone!
2013-10-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: medeiros13

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Nice one, jay. I, too was up with the sun, but it was to get a headstart on some enormous "honey-do" list for the weekend. I'll likely get a run in later.

Will also be taking my daughter to the local HS track so she can do her 1 mile fitness test for school. It should be fun to see how she does.

Tomorrow AM will be a good bike effort, and some drills to get working on the 'knee over the foot' thing, and improve my technique. I'm also signing up for my first HIM of 2014, which will be next June, and the week after Carol & I hopefully meet in texas and go for a ride!

I've also found an alternate pool, thanks to the Y, so I'm getting back into the water starting Monday.

Have a great day everyone, and go Red Sox!!!
2013-10-19 8:02 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Go Jay! Glad you had a good run. And OK, go Red Sox .

Mike, sounds like things are coming together for you. Yes, your taper riding buddies will be awaiting you in TX!

Ran 5 with a friend as part of her 20 miler yesterday. Smart girl...she had also arranged another friend coming to do the last 8 with her. Having a mid morning ride from the church in a couple hours. Recent widower asked me last Sunday after a sermon (maybe not so coincidentally the topic was grief) when we were riding again, so we decided it was time. He's a marathoner and doing his long run first this morning. Will not surprise me if he has IM aspirations after his teen kids are launched into the world.
2013-10-19 8:40 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Hey Mike, have you noticed any price changes in the Patriot HIM? I thought I paid 200ish last year and that's what its sitting at now. I see the RD mention a lower price offer until Halloween...I'm confused

Edit: Thanks for the Sox support Carol...I think I could hear your teeth being pulled up here in Ma when you typed that lol.

Edited by medeiros13 2013-10-19 8:41 AM

2013-10-19 11:26 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
I had a great laugh today. My Garmin has been squirrely of late but when I say squirrely, it's just been turning itself off mid run. Today it showed that I did 46.3 miles in 2:25:00. Am I good, are what? Obviously I'll be on the phone with Garmin today. Carol, I'll probably be buying thru that link you sent me.

In actuality, I had 12.4 miles on the run. Not great but considering I had 7.8 miles yesterday with 6+ miles at RP, I'm good with it.

I'll go ahead and cheer for the Red Sox too. Son is a fan of Big Poppy.

Edited by Pink Socks 2013-10-19 11:56 AM
2013-10-20 8:17 AM
in reply to: Pink Socks

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Hey Pam, yes, it does sound like your Garmin is on it's last legs. Glad the link may be of help. But you might want to keep the old Garmin around for an occasional ego boost ! You've been doing great getting your runs in amongst real life. Predicting lots of fun for you at Ragnar!

Bike ride yesterday was really fun. Temps were a bit low for us Texans to start, so just a few of us showed up. But that allowed us to take a more interesting route with some nice rolling hills. Hideo had run 17 miles before the ride, and I think we about killed him. Trying to convince him that he is a triathlete and just doesn't know it yet (evil grin). Anyway, we ended up smiling, stretching on the floor and drinking coffee after the ride, so I'd call it a success.

Monster Tri is this coming Sunday. This is the first sprint I ever did back in 2009 on this bike (http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?year=2002&brand=Gary+Fisher&model=Napa#.UmPXk9Eo5ok) and barely being able to stick my face in the water to swim.
2013-10-21 5:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Originally posted by Pink Socks

I had a great laugh today. My Garmin has been squirrely of late but when I say squirrely, it's just been turning itself off mid run. Today it showed that I did 46.3 miles in 2:25:00. Am I good, are what? Obviously I'll be on the phone with Garmin today. Carol, I'll probably be buying thru that link you sent me.

In actuality, I had 12.4 miles on the run. Not great but considering I had 7.8 miles yesterday with 6+ miles at RP, I'm good with it.

Hi, I was just lurking for the1 spare minute I have these days.

Pam, I had the same problem with my Garmin 205
I called Garmin when mine was doing the same.. turning off and showing weird numbers. They gave me a trade-in replacement price of around $70.00 for my Garmin 205. Got it within 2 days.... Just FYI

Also I am officially signed up for CDA ???? OOOPs! Just couldn't let Jim do it alone. would have killed me...
2013-10-21 6:02 PM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Originally posted by Mitchparadise

Originally posted by Pink Socks

Hi, I was just lurking for the1 spare minute I have these days.

Pam, I had the same problem with my Garmin 205
I called Garmin when mine was doing the same.. turning off and showing weird numbers. They gave me a trade-in replacement price of around $70.00 for my Garmin 205. Got it within 2 days.... Just FYI

Also I am officially signed up for CDA ???? OOOPs! Just couldn't let Jim do it alone. would have killed me...

Yay, Mitch, Jim, Steve, and Samantha will all have fun in CDA. Mitch hope you are gettiing some rest.

Speaking of babies.......Jared? Doing ok?

Carol, WTG on hosting the bike ride and helping the widower. You rock!

Probably last checkin for a week or so. Son has ballgames and then I leave Thursday morn for Ragnar. Will return home late Sunday night and then will be leaving again for mom's medical proc and then son has more ballgames. Promise tho that I will let all know about Ragnar - whether you want to hear about it or not. I have 17.4 miles over 3 legs. Feel pretty good about legs 1 and 3 although they are listed as hard; at least they are during daylight. The Moderate run of 4.4 miles around 12:30am in 33 degrees (when I've been running in 70 and 80 degree temps) - well we will see how it goes. Planning on doing that one in my hot pink wig (to keep my head warm) so we will see how that goes.
2013-10-21 7:14 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
My Garmin 910 says I do all my biking & running at an altitude of about 47,000 feet. Its not quite an accurate altimeter.

I called Garmin and they said I could swap the watch for a new one, no charge.

2013-10-21 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.

Originally posted by Mike_D My Garmin 910 says I do all my biking & running at an altitude of about 47,000 feet. Its not quite an accurate altimeter. I called Garmin and they said I could swap the watch for a new one, no charge.

Mike, altitude training is good for you! Lol!!

Been lurking a bit too lately!

Pam, hopefully you'll be able to get your Garmin replaced! Usually these companies are really good at doing that, depending on how long you have had it, maybe even for free like they did for Mike! I know I just called Cateye because I stripped out the battery cover trying to change the battery on my sensor and they dropped one in the mail "No Charge" and I had it by the end of the week! Brand loyalty means a lot to them!

My training has been pretty good in spite of all the drama going on with my life with the wife and kid's sports! My volume is still lower than I would like it to be, but I am getting great key workouts done! At this point HITS in Dec is just about showing up and getting through the swim, bike and seeing how the run goes! Not really that stressed about it!

Mitch, very excited you will be up there with me! I  would gladly go up solo, but it is a lot more fun when you have someone else to share the journey with!

Also checking in to see if anyone else might be coming to do Wildflower! I signed up for it last year but came down with pneumonia 2 weeks prior and backed out so I may do it this year, depending on how HITS goes! Mitch is in and another friend of mine!

2013-10-21 10:16 PM
in reply to: Mitchparadise

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Mitchparadise

Mitch - did you read catch my post regarding being welcome to stay at my house? Read back a couple pages if you are interested

Carol - so fun you are doing your first tri again. I hope to do that next summer. How's house repair coming along?

Mike - Glad you are getting back in the pool. I'm starting to miss swimming. and this made me laugh really loud out loud "My Garmin 910 says I do all my biking & running at an altitude of about 47,000 feet".

Pam - your running never ceases to amaze me. Even when your Garmin is telling the truth I'm amazed, but 46.2. wow! haha

Jay - Nice morning run.

Jim - Great job on the key workouts. I look forward to seeing how you do in December! And the in JUNE

So I got my MRI results back and am now officially scheduled for surgery on November 14th, but in other news, I've run twice this week..that hasn't happened in quite some time. Anyway, I have a torn ligament. Never had surgery like this, so it'll be an adventure. So thankful it happened at work and I'm not paying for anything. Today I started my volunteer training for CASA and Wednesday I meet with the director of the Master's program. Good stuff going on for sure, even if I have to have surgery.
2013-10-22 12:30 AM
in reply to: anthalynn

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
See Ironwomen are not wimps if it hurts that long it is hurt, glad they detected the problem and it will be taken care of in the offseason.

I walked 21 miles last week, still not recovered enough for a 2 min jog 3 min walk, oh well. Adding in bike this week and swim maybe later this week maybe next week, still doing some odd jobs around the house etc. Started working more on muscle balance exercizes for that right shoulder (and of course doing the same for the left shoulder for balance issues).
2013-10-22 5:07 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Samantha, so sorry about the surgery but at least they are going to get all resolved. Best of luck with that.

Carol, go this weekend!!!!! Have fun in your tri.
2013-10-22 6:00 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Samantha, hope all goes well and you are back at it soon!

Found something this AM on my run which made me do some unplanned sprinting -- a skunk! Had one rustle out of the leaves about 15 feet away as I started my run this AM. Heart rate spike in the first minute! Knowing s/he may be lurking about on my return I kept a sharp eye out and this time it was next to the road, so I made a quick and large loop around it. Thought how awful it would be to get sprayed, and just what exactly to you say when you call work and say you won't be in because you stink?

But yes, I am running again. Still keeping it reasonable, and doing a 6/3 run/walk pace. Will ramp it up to 7/2, then 8/1, the just run over the next 4 weeks, assuming I still feel OK

My master class starts again tomorrow, too!

2013-10-22 10:11 AM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Mitch, nice to see you coming up for air! Ha, so when you exhaled, you hit the register button, eh? Good for you! More fun doing these things with friends.

Pam, hope you have a great time at Ragnar! If you check back in before leaving, you may want to check this out for help in selecting what to wear for that chilly night run: http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

Mike, yikes, a skunk! Ha, I'm not sure the old saying "they are more afraid of us than we are of them" holds true in this case. Not the best way to push up into an anaerobic HR zone!

I think Garmin may be more apt to replace more current models like the 910. I got a $70 refurb to replace my last 305, but they told me that was probably the last of them since they have been discontinued for a while now. But it never hurts to call, and depending on the problem, Garmin might at least offer a deep discount on a refurbed newer model. I may have to try that when my 305 croaks.

Jim, yay, you will have another buddy for CDA! Glad training is meshing in well with life for you. How is your wife doing?

Samantha, sorry about the surgery, but glad you have a path to recovery now. So many exciting things happening in your life! We are in the "patching the holes and repainting" phase of the home project. Also getting input on different types of flooring and as of today, we are totally undecided.

Steve, as always, you're incorporating what you have learned into your training. Balance = good !

OK, so pain in my left arch has intensified. I have some prescription anti-inflammatories left from the initial phase of the piriformis treatment. Thoughts on taking those this week leading up to my sprint tri on Sunday? Just thinking that reducing the inflammation can't hurt and might help.
2013-10-23 6:56 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Back at masters this AM at a new pool, but the same crew. Workout was 60x50 (gulp!), and due to time constraints, I only did 48. So right now my arms feel like 2 lead weights hanging from my shoulders, and I can tell its all going to be tired & sore later today. But I feel *good*, if that makes any sense. One weird thing about the pool is that it was freakishly clear water. Not that I'd expect to be swimming in sludge, but the water was like glass. I could see details on tiles in the 13' deep end.

One cool thing to come out of this was an invitation from the coach to attend his weekend Compu-trainer bike sessions he holds. usually a 2 hour 'ride' on some IM course. Think of it as a group ride indoors. Some real athletes in the bunch, so I'll have my work cut out for me.

So Red Sox!!
2013-10-23 11:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Hello everyone! Today was my new long run distance of 11 miles. Once again, I'm feeling frustrated by my pace. I feel really good on my runs (so good I went to my hilliest run today) and I feel like I'm on a good pace until I look at the Garmin...then I see my pace is slow as heck I'm having the usual internal battle...you came back from a serious injury...way ahead of normal recovery time...give yourself a break.....but I can't do it. Type A at its worst I suspect. I've also made another decision which I knew would come eventually...I'm going back to lifting the way I did before I started triathlon training. It will sound absurd to you all to say that at 235 I feel small and weak but I do. I've put together a schedule that should allow me to lift heavy and not impact my cardio work for awhile....eventually I'll have to go back to the circuit I was doing before but hopefully I can change my body enough that it won't drive me crazy for awhile.

Two other things: 1. if I'm getting hot spots on my foot during my run is that a sign that my run socks are getting old and/or I need new run shoes? Sadly, due to my injury, I've lost track of how many miles my run shoes have on them. 2. Found a full tri called Challege Atlantic City...looked for race reports etc and can't find much on it. Anyone here know anyone who has done it and/or heard anything about it?

Pam: Good luck with Ragnar!

Carol: How is your foot feeling? I think whether you should try to race your sprint hinges on that question. You've been fighting the injury bug too long to regress due to wanting to do a sprint. Yes, this is Jay...nobody has abducted me!

Samantha: I'm sorry to hear about the surgery on your wrist Its good that your employer is going to pay for everything but please make sure they have a good doctor do it. I know you nurses have a nice network on which doctors you'd like to work on you....please use it!

Mitch: Nice to see you drop by Hope all is well and sleep deprivation doesn't last too long.

Jim: Glad to hear that you're gaining some momentum with training. I'll repeat Carol's question..how's your wife's situation?

Mike: 60x50 seriously??!! Thats insane! I'd take advantage of your coaches offer to join him for indoor cycling; I've always found that I have better workouts when I do things with someone. Did you see my question about the Patriot Half??
2013-10-23 11:39 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Jay -- The Challenge AC is a new race, so no history behind it. And Patriot is about $25 more this year than last. Its getting popular, so I'm sure the RD is juicing the price a bit, and I'm sure expenses in general are always up. Hot spots? Check shoes & socks.

How are all the new parents dealing so far?
2013-10-23 12:23 PM

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Thanks Mike..that explains both items I asked! I'm scared to delve into any water in Jersey without a guinea pig doing it for me first. I'm scarred for life by the memory of all those hypodermic (sp?) needles washing up on shore when I was a kid. Yea, the hot spots come on and off during the run. I believe it happens when I don't run upright for some reason...as soon as I focus on my posture it disappears. I did look at my socks/shoes and I don't see anything out of the ordinary.

2013-10-23 5:00 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Jay, you remember that your longest run of the week should be at a slower pace than your other runs right? And your first week at a longer distance will be slower than last week at the shorter long distance. So once you have hit 11 10x then you should be feeling pretty good at that distance, but your 16 mile run will suck for a month or two.

Socks, shoes, etc. I actualy get more hot spots in new shoes for a couple weeks. When my shoes are old I feel it more in my knees or the bones of my feet (not the actual bones, just that area).

I think i will start swim again next week, still putsing with the pool room a bit while it is dry.

Two days at 2 min jog 3 min walk feeling ok (yesterday was better than today, oh well). I will stay at that level for the rest of this week for sure, may try 3/2 next wee. I will have to see how Sunday's run goes.

Jay, you can lift, jog whatever makes you feel good about being in shape. You don't have to fit a specific hold. My only request is that you do it smartly, evaluating which muscle groups you are using on which days and how much to avoid injury. I will be doiing more, lite, stregnth training and stretching this year to try to ward off injury.
2013-10-23 5:12 PM

User image

Expert
Grapevine, Texas
Originally posted by medeiros13

Yes, this is Jay...nobody has abducted me!

I literally laughed out loud in a public place when I read that . Foot is still "there" but better today. I think it's some sort of bruising/small tear in my arch. If I take a couple days off running, it gets better, then I run again and it gets worse. Really won't be much racing on the run anyway as my run mileage is maybe 9ish miles/week, bike is in similar shape, and swim will likely be my high point for the day because...well...it's only 300 meters.

Good for you on the weight lifting decision. We're not paid to do any of this stuff, so whatever leads to feeling your best is the way to go IMO.

Also got some great news I don't think I've shared. My friend will be released to a halfway house on 11/6. She will be much closer to her husband then, and he will be able to drive her there. Thanks for all your prayers, to Jay for the great advice on what to expect when visiting her over the last several months.
2013-10-23 11:30 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Oh I just got some good news. I applied to Tridot for their free offseason (20 week) coaching program and was accepted (only 250 slots were available worldwide). So hopefully I will learn some stuffs. I still need to get my body back together to benefit from it, but good news nonetheless.

Now that I am working more on my shoulder, I am finding it was not as rehabbed as I thought It was. More work needed, expanding muscle balance work to 3x per week x 30 min, also adding more calf strengthening and core stuffs.
2013-10-24 8:34 AM
in reply to: Baowolf

User image

Veteran
Dartmouth, Massachusetts
Steve: Congrats on the coaching placement! I forget what you did to your shoulder but I wonder if doing shoulder girdle exercises may help. When I was powerlifting, my left shoulder was in agony everytime I did chest or shoulders...and then I was introduced to shoulder girdle exercises. I believe you can search for it on YouTube but I can't do that at work. A quick description...take a broom handle or dog leash...hold it slightly wider than shoulder width. Put the leash/handle on your waist and bring it behind you to where your waist would be on your backside. What makes it hard is that you need to keep your arms locked out during the entire front to back movement...so you start out with a really wide grip and it reduces as you improve your flexibility.

Thanks for the running advice. I do realize that my LR should be slower than shorter runs but I still have pace figures in my mind. Obviously, they're not realistic for where I am right now but I can't prevent myself from trying to obtain my old numbers. Also, I will be smart about my lifting....I think it'll only effect when/how heavy I can do legs. I can swim after an upper body workout....I've done that since recovering from my surgery.

Carol: Great news on your friend going to the halfway house. To me, it seems like her time went fast but somehow I think she wouldn't agree with that opinion. I'm glad I could make you laugh yesterday....there are times where I do try to amuse the group!

Jim: I went back and looked at an old competitive bodybuilding diet that I had....after looking at it, I'm starting to think that Eat to Perform isn't as crazy as I first thought. The calories I was eating when I followed that diet isn't too far off from the 2500/3000 calories that ETP is suggesting. If you're interested in the BB diet, PM me and I'll be happy to send it to you. I'm tweaking it right now because its really low on fat and my low carb diet has taught me not to be afraid of fats.

I have another question for the group. I've been slowing down my overall yardage to focus on my head placement with my swimming. On Tuesday, I extended my 50's to 100's and what I found is my head started looking forward after the first 50. I suspect this is due to racing....I'm not sure its realistic to NOT look forward. The good news is I caught myself and made the adjustment. So, the question is should I continue to reduce yardage to work on muscle memory of keeping my head down or go back to more yardage and be cognizant of my head placement??
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Baowolf's Mentor Group- Closed Rss Feed  

of 68