BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-05-30 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2890876

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
Meulen - 2010-05-30 7:31 AM Tim, that is frign' cool man!! Shmeeg, nice job on the sponsorship deal! I just got to logging my sat/sun. Stepped it up a notch on endurance. Like Curt mentioned before about "willingness". I've been going all out less and less. I save the hard efforts for a few key workouts. I did 48+ on the bike saturday and a 6 mile run. My knees are feeling great, but I'm not used to these distances yet. I started cramping around 3 miles in. I had to stretch and work through it. Today was my best swim to date. I definitely feel faster in the pool and I actually am. The pool seemed real easy to me after being in the open water last week, and my swim stroke got much smoother too. My coach couldn't stop commenting how smooth I got. Definitely a breakthrough day for me on the swim!

I love those moments!  Unfortunately, they are few and far between for me Yell

Edited by brick94513 2010-05-30 11:49 AM

2010-05-30 12:06 PM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Went out to test my game plan for next weekend.  I rode what I thought would be a good approximation of the course and went out at a fair exertion, about a RPE of 4 and 5 into the headwinds.  Unfortunately, I screwed up the math converting kilometers to miles for the spits, so I actually rode longer.  Pretty sad for someone with a degree in mathematicsSurprised!  Anyways, the splits were:

25k (actually rode 15.8 miles): 45:04 (21.04 MPH)
40k (actually rode 25.8 miles): 1:14:56 (20.66 MPH)

During the splits, my heart rate stayed roughly 135-140, so very aerobic at about 85 - 88 percent of LTHR.

So, take out that extra distance, I should of been around 1:12 for the 40k.  Nevertheless, I think my target of 1:10 to 1:15 should be pretty sound.
2010-05-30 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2890976

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-05-30 11:47 AM

Meulen - 2010-05-30 7:31 AM Tim, that is frign' cool man!! Shmeeg, nice job on the sponsorship deal! I just got to logging my sat/sun. Stepped it up a notch on endurance. Like Curt mentioned before about "willingness". I've been going all out less and less. I save the hard efforts for a few key workouts. I did 48+ on the bike saturday and a 6 mile run. My knees are feeling great, but I'm not used to these distances yet. I started cramping around 3 miles in. I had to stretch and work through it. Today was my best swim to date. I definitely feel faster in the pool and I actually am. The pool seemed real easy to me after being in the open water last week, and my swim stroke got much smoother too. My coach couldn't stop commenting how smooth I got. Definitely a breakthrough day for me on the swim!

I love those moments!  Unfortunately, they are few and far between for me Yell

that's cuz you're already insanely fast!!! quit complainin' LOL

Went for a second swim today. I took the wife to the beach and scoped out the sight of our Naperville triathlon in August. Place is pretty cool. It's an old quarry filled in with concrete to make shallow spots. There's a 50m lap pool and a deep end that's basically open water with some rafts in the middle. did another 400m without a wetsuit and practiced sighting. This went really well for me!! I'm really starting to get more excited about my swimming!
2010-05-30 5:17 PM
in reply to: #2889530

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
brick94513 - 2010-05-27 7:09 PM
croixfan - 2010-05-28 3:40 PM

Took yesterday and today off of work + taking next Tuesday off as well.  Great to do some running, biking, and golfing + mix in a few naps and relax time.

The training is really paying dividends.  Noticing that I feel a lot better -- in general and when training.  Challenge is going to be "dialing it down" as I'm still pushing too hard.  This PM took an easy bike ride and had a great time.  HR was in the 140's most of the time.  Did push one hill and spike 166, but it dropped back down right away.  Was down below 120 within 2-3 minutes after the ride.

Hope everyone has a great Holiday weekend.

The lifestyle becomes very addictive.  The races are just the gravy.  I find myself irritable when I miss a workout for sure.

I can't train right now, and I'm in a super funk. I guess this is the part of triathlon that sucks. I'm seriously considering going to the pool even though the doc said not to. I don't see how it can hurt my knee, and it may save my sanity.

Can one of the experts here go to my training log and take a peak at my HR data? I think I'm just going balls to the wall and if that's true, that may be a reason why I got so dizzy and fell on my bike....I need to learn how to train, ie, how long do I stay in zone 1, 2, 3, etc, and should I just do zone 2-3 workouts sometimes to keep my HR low? Is there a book I can buy that will explain all this to me?  
2010-05-30 5:59 PM
in reply to: #2891238

User image

Expert
Canada
kickitinok - 2010-05-30 7:17 PM  Is there a book I can buy that will explain all this to me?  

Have you looked at "the Triathlete's bible", by Joe Friel.

One of the gurus.  Some agree, some don't.  Nevertheless, he talks a lot about intensity training.

Undecided 
2010-05-30 9:31 PM
in reply to: #2891276

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
kickitinok - 2010-05-30 7:17 PM  Is there a book I can buy that will explain all this to me? 

There is a lot of material on this topic.

For specific heart rate training, I like Joe Friel's Total Heart Rate Training.  As for training philosophy, running techinques, and body system functions, I like:

Jack Daniel's Running Formula and Runner's World: The Runner's Body.

2010-05-30 10:44 PM
in reply to: #2889968

User image

Expert
brick94513 - 2010-05-29 6:52 AM
norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-28 4:10 PM Went for a mountain bike ride today.  All is well with the world again. Cool

Did you remember how to ride after all that running? Surprised

I actually felt great!  I rode sockless with no issues, and even at an easy pace (and using plenty of caution since it was a sunny and busy Friday afternoon on the trails) I did the front loop within 3 minutes of my best time.  Definately feeling an increase in bike finess from run fitness right now.

btw, I went over 100 miles for the month today on the run.  woo hoo!!
2010-05-31 4:36 AM
in reply to: #2891580

User image

Expert
Canada
norcal_SAHD - 2010-05-31 12:44 AM 
btw, I went over 100 miles for the month today on the run.  woo hoo!!

That's a lot of miles.  Congratulations!!!  Nice to see some running miles accumulate.

Smile 
2010-05-31 8:20 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Spent yesterday working around the house.  Did a little painting and think I spent about 5 hours on gardening.  Absoltuely beat!

Since we are having such nice weather, looks like I'm going to take the boat out this morning and do a little wakeboarding before all the yahoos and drunks hit the water.

Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend.  Let us not forgot the reason for this holiday!  Remember those that have sacrificed and be thankful for those currently serving!

2010-05-31 1:08 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
I got out on the MTB today. Got in a little more than 2 hours before it started to downpoor. I got a little wet! But I did my good deed for today. Ran into an aquaintance stranded on his road bike in the downpore quite aways from home. Even though it was 30 minutes out of my way I put his bike on the carrier and took him home.
2010-05-31 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
<---- SLACKER

I have done no training since Friday.  I had INTENDED to do a brick yesterday morning, but I was beat from a long day of car shopping saturday and still a lil sore from the week.  I partied WAY too hard last night, looks like tomorrow will have to start the training for the week.  I'm out of commission for now.  Don't forget to thank a vetran today!

Tim (or anybody else), can I get some help w/ my "swim".  I had my wife shoot 1 length of video last week and I look about as bad as I expected, but am not sure what to do to correct my problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l376LgicjSU

Edited by shmeeg 2010-05-31 1:44 PM

2010-05-31 3:16 PM
in reply to: #2892175

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-05-31 11:16 AM <---- SLACKER

I have done no training since Friday.  I had INTENDED to do a brick yesterday morning, but I was beat from a long day of car shopping saturday and still a lil sore from the week.  I partied WAY too hard last night, looks like tomorrow will have to start the training for the week.  I'm out of commission for now.  Don't forget to thank a vetran today!

Tim (or anybody else), can I get some help w/ my "swim".  I had my wife shoot 1 length of video last week and I look about as bad as I expected, but am not sure what to do to correct my problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l376LgicjSU

Couple observations:

1. Extension.   Your hands are entering the water behind your head.  You need be reaching out in front of you.  Two drills I like for this are catch-up and finger-tip drag.  With catch up, you actually touch hands out in front before you intiate the catch.  For finger tip drag, you drag your fingertips on the surface of the water to create high elbows in recovery.

2.  The kick.  You need to kick from the hips, not the knees.  Also, reduce the cone of the kick (smaller kick) and eliminate the scissor kick - where legs cross over your body with hip rotation.  I think for now you can de-emphasizw the flutter kick and let your legs drag for now.

3.  Balance.  Your balance is off as you rotate which is causing the scissor kick.  Think of your body as a plank when you rotate, everything should remain linear.  I like to put a pull bouy between my feet to work on balance and core strength.  With the bouy between your feet, focus on glide and balance.  I try to keep my hips from rotating any more than 45 degrees to the wall.  A more advanced drill is to use a band to hold your feet together.

4.  Catch.  It looks like you are pulling water with a straight arm.  The problem is two-fold: one, you can't catch as much water in this position; and two, this form uses the shoulders instead of the larger muscle of the back.  This is where you will hear people say "keep high elbows."  My swim coach had a good analogy: she compared it to climbing a ladder.  As you catch the water, the elbow stays higher than the hand-wrist.  A good drill to correct this is to swim with your hands in fists.  It forces you to learn how to catch water with your forearms.

5.  Breathing.  Don't lift your head to breath.  Lifting your head causes your hips to sink.  Right now, you probably feel that you need to lift your head because your catch isn't providing enough propulsion.  But, as you improve, you should focus to breath with half of your face still in the water.  Remember the plank!

I don't mean to overwhelm you, nor should you try to correct everything at once.  I think you could really benefit from using a pull bouy for awhile.  It will allow you to work on the catch, recovery, and balance without the stress of your hips sinking.  You can find demonstartions of all these drills on youtube and swimsmooth.

I hope that helps.
2010-05-31 6:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Hi all, just catching up from the holiday weekend. San Luis Obispo was gorgeous, brought back lots of college memories for my gf and I. Capitola yesterday was lots of fun - celebrating my brother's engagement to his gf. Did a BIG clean on the house today and I'm dreading work tomorrow. Gotta pay the bills though.

6 weeks left until Vineman 70.3! That really means only 4 more weeks of serious training. During those 4 weeks, I have a golf tournament, I'm doing Muddy Buddy in San Jose, then Tour de Cure bike ride (120k) and my mom's birthday, then down to Palm Springs for a wedding weekend. All of this while work is getting very hectic. It'll be a challenge to maintain my training schedule. I had a solid bike focus two weeks ago, last week was all about running. These next four weeks I'll try to maintain more of a balance and get some hard bricks in. It's starting to get really warm out so I also want to do some heat training to find out how my nutrition plan will look.

Jay - Nice swim video! Did it help to see yourself? Tim pretty much said it all so I won't add anything else. I feel like I need to post a video of me running because I'm sure my form is horrid. I'm a fish out of water and Tim with his 7:15 miles can probably straighten me out.

Trina - I'm no help on HR training. I haven't even been wearing my HR monitor lately mostly because I'm lazy and don't know how to interpret the data anyways. It always seems high which worries me but I feel fine so maybe my HR just runs high. Anyways, if you look at the charts, it tells me I always run in zone 4 which just seems wrong. Maybe it's not calibrated right.
2010-06-01 11:25 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I think you guys must of drank it up yesterday!  It is awfully quiet around here

I got another OWS in today before work.  I experienced a first today.  On my beach entry, a wave knocked my goggles down and I couldn't get them to seal again.  Water kept leaking into my left lens.  Not only was it annoying, but it made sighting difficult.
2010-06-01 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2894033

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-06-01 11:25 AM

I think you guys must of drank it up yesterday!  It is awfully quiet around here

I got another OWS in today before work.  I experienced a first today.  On my beach entry, a wave knocked my goggles down and I couldn't get them to seal again.  Water kept leaking into my left lens.  Not only was it annoying, but it made sighting difficult.

nope!!! not a drop for me this weekend. I did a lot of of training the last few days.
2010-06-01 3:19 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Tim,

I tried loading a course onto my garmin this weekend and went to the trails. Didn't really work so well. It basically showed the course on the screen and told me if I went off course. I was hoping for more of a turn by turn type thing. Maybe, I'm doing it wrong. I ended up turning off the course and using the tried and true method of ride till you get lost and find your way back home 1/2 hour before you have to leave.

2010-06-01 6:19 PM

User image

Expert
I'm a bit panicked!  my back/lower side is really hurting, and I don't know why!  Feels like either a deep bruise below the ribcage (like in the kidney area) or a muscle strain.  I first noticed it Sunday on my run, but I'm not sure the cause/injury.  Possibly related to a hard mtb crash Friday?  But why did it wait till Sunday to hurt?  anyway, I've got a race Saturday and as of right now I can barely run...  It's a little better today than yesterday.  In a little bit we're taking a family bike ride to the local Farmers Market, I'll see how that feels.  Forced taper I guess!
2010-06-01 6:40 PM
in reply to: #2894864

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-06-01 1:19 PM Tim, I tried loading a course onto my garmin this weekend and went to the trails. Didn't really work so well. It basically showed the course on the screen and told me if I went off course. I was hoping for more of a turn by turn type thing. Maybe, I'm doing it wrong. I ended up turning off the course and using the tried and true method of ride till you get lost and find your way back home 1/2 hour before you have to leave.

Yeah, that's about the best as it gets.  Its not going to talk to you in a sexy, feminine voice and give you turn by turn directions!    It takes a while to tell you that you are off course too.  But still, when scouting new terrain or traveling, it's better than nothing in my opinion.  I've found trails by downloading rides that I would of never found without it, especially when out-of-state!
2010-06-01 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2895313

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
norcal_SAHD - 2010-06-01 4:19 PM I'm a bit panicked!  my back/lower side is really hurting, and I don't know why!  Feels like either a deep bruise below the ribcage (like in the kidney area) or a muscle strain.  I first noticed it Sunday on my run, but I'm not sure the cause/injury.  Possibly related to a hard mtb crash Friday?  But why did it wait till Sunday to hurt?  anyway, I've got a race Saturday and as of right now I can barely run...  It's a little better today than yesterday.  In a little bit we're taking a family bike ride to the local Farmers Market, I'll see how that feels.  Forced taper I guess!

David that sucks.  Hard to say, but hopefully your just sore from that fall.  I know I'm usually the most sore a couple days after an injury.  Take it easy for a few days and see you up at Rancho Seco this weekend.
2010-06-01 6:55 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Instead of a QOTD, here's a statement of the day:

Okay, you've been training for months and you are feeling pretty fit, now what? It's time to test your skills on the racecourse. But you still may have some concerns about how you will do in a race. How do I set up my transition area, how do I navigate a swim course in open water (and avoid the flailing arms and legs of your competitors), how much fluids should I ingest on the course? Race day can be an exciting and stressful time for both the beginner and the experienced athletes. In this section USA Triathlon's Certified Coaches offer their advice and expertise to help guide you through your event.

Think About this During Your Next Race!

Every sport has its champions and winners. I have been involved with the sport of triathlon and triathlons are a great sport. It's a lot of fun to swim, bike, and run, but it also can be a sport we can learn valuable lessons from that can help us later in life.

I want to share with you two lessons that I feel are important to any athlete: "Act like a champion to be a champion" and “The champion isn’t always the individual that’s first!”

One kind of champion is the athlete that crosses the finish line first or has scored the most points at the end of the game. And we want to be that kind of champion, training to win and winning involves a tremendous amount of work and commitment. There is another kind of champion, a champion of life, and I feel that in the big picture of our lives this champion is the real winner. It’s great to win a race or game but being a champion of life is the ultimate reward for sports.

To be a champion we need to start acting like a champion. And a champion is someone who is working for mastery of their sport and themselves. And learning how to achieve mastery over ourselves is the difficult part. To be a champion athlete you don’t need to beat all your opponents!  A true champion realizes that this type of winner’s fame will expire because sooner or later someone will beat them. A champion of life is concerned with being the best athlete that they can be under the circumstance, acting like a champion at all times, being mentally strong, and helping others to achieve success. This athlete realizes that awards and ribbons reflect one small moment in time and mean little in defining a true champion! 

Being a champion involves four qualities:

1. Life and sports aren’t about finding yourself they're about creating yourself and realizing success is defined as mastering yourself first. 
  2. Never ever quit learning and helping others. You learn when you teach and happiness is created by helping others achieve success. You must be a student of life and sport.
  3. Mental toughness is not defined as the toughest, meanest, loudest person in the arena of sport. Mental toughness is being able to summon your emotional strength at the right time and using it with grace and dignity - win or lose. Knowing that we will be defined not by the fight by how we fought. What we overcame to get to the starting line and cross the finish line.  
  4. Champions don’t talk – they act.

If you remember these three things and act on them as I stated in the fourth. You will be acting like a champion, and you will be a champion in life as well as a champion athlete.

Now, go have a great workout and get in the game of life. Think and act like the champion you are.

by Alan Ley, former USAT Coaching Education Manager

2010-06-02 12:21 PM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
OK...........

So I started to cramp up in the Xterra tri a little over a week ago. I got them in my Hamstrings, which I don't recall ever having before. Ever since then I'm getting them out of no where during the day. I just went to stretch my quads a few minutes ago and got a cramp in my left hammy. I'm hydrated fine. Infact, I make it a point to always be hydrated. WTH?

2010-06-02 1:32 PM

User image

Regular
Well a update on Me..  I have started feeling a bit better but I must admit that the forced reduction in run milage and no biking did a couple of things.  It put me back in the gym a place I have not spent alot of time since 2000 and it reminded me how much I liked lifting and the results you get from it.  For the next month til the 4th.  I'm focused on trying to drop my BF% and get some abb definition. 

I spoke with a Swim Coach at our pool and after next week he is availabel for lessons. So I'll work some swim into my routeen i'm gonna do this with my son he is 6 .  When I know I can swim far enough to make a sprint i'll geter done. 

You guys keep up the good work.  
2010-06-02 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2896801

User image

Regular
Meulen - 2010-06-02 12:21 PM OK........... So I started to cramp up in the Xterra tri a little over a week ago. I got them in my Hamstrings, which I don't recall ever having before. Ever since then I'm getting them out of no where during the day. I just went to stretch my quads a few minutes ago and got a cramp in my left hammy. I'm hydrated fine. Infact, I make it a point to always be hydrated. WTH?

Has anything changed in your workouts?  You swimming more, get new shoes, pedals anything that could cause you to use slightly different muscle groups? 

This is gonna sound crazy cause you always here that it don't do squat for endurance but run a 2 to 4 week cycle of Creatine it will force more water into your muscles and might help.  
2010-06-02 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2897002

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
SAWFISH50 - 2010-06-02 1:40 PM

Meulen - 2010-06-02 12:21 PM OK........... So I started to cramp up in the Xterra tri a little over a week ago. I got them in my Hamstrings, which I don't recall ever having before. Ever since then I'm getting them out of no where during the day. I just went to stretch my quads a few minutes ago and got a cramp in my left hammy. I'm hydrated fine. Infact, I make it a point to always be hydrated. WTH?

Has anything changed in your workouts?  You swimming more, get new shoes, pedals anything that could cause you to use slightly different muscle groups? 

This is gonna sound crazy cause you always here that it don't do squat for endurance but run a 2 to 4 week cycle of Creatine it will force more water into your muscles and might help.  

nothing different. I got them during xterra and now I seem to just get them out of no where. My bricks were usually done on the road bike so maybe doing on the MTB is different, but that's it
2010-06-02 3:07 PM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma City
Love the QOTD, Tim. Thanks for that. Good stuff to remember and practice not only in tri but in life as well.

Good luck to all who are racing this weekend! Get out there and rock it! Kiss 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108