BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 115

2012-02-23 10:02 PM
in reply to: #4062791

User image

Expert
Hammond
Subject: RE: Gary's Mentor Group - Closed
GaryRM - 2012-02-23 1:05 PM

Hey all!

Having fun with the 910xt.  Swim portion is working pretty well now.  Only issue was on my last set today it missed two turns and counted four lengths as two so ended up swimming an extra 50 yards.  Got 1.5 hours on the trainer last night but unfortunately the PT is on the blink.  Hoping its just new batteries in the hub.  Running is going well also with another 6+mile run tonight.

Thanks for the helmet info, if you haven't reported in please do.

Took the kids to an LSU baseball game yesterday.  Lots of fun.  Taking tomorrow off.

Left - good idea on the sleep, listening to your body is always the way to go.

My helmet is a specialized. No real reason, we went to a LBS and I hated to leave without buying something. I needed a helmet and liked it so I bought it-lol.

Shelly

2012-02-24 5:44 PM
in reply to: #3257002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey!

Took today off.  Got some work done around the house, took the kids bowling (we had a blast) and got 2+ hrs on the trainer.  Long time to be on the trainer but luckily I had a couple of the Harry Potter's recorded.  Tomorrow is an SRD.

2012-02-25 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

I use a Garneau helmet for the roadie and a Bell for Mtb.  The Garneau is a mid priced level and has a smallish 'dial' in the back of the headgear to tighten-loosen the fit. 

Been kind of a slow week for me.  I got in some time in the pool, the spin cycle and about a 10m trail ride yesterday.  Plan to take the son-in-law out this afternoon and try to ease him into mountain biking. 

My first race of the year is 2 weeks from today and I'm not to the level I'd hoped to be.  Vacations can really get in the way of training, but such is life.  The important thing is to keep plugging away and once home - get back to the routine ASAP. 

Hope all have a good weekend.

2012-02-25 10:26 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Tracey - are you racing today?  If so, good luck!
2012-02-26 7:37 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Gary,  I know I'm way late on this, but I use a Bell MTB helmet.  Training has hit a huge road block the last week.  60 hour work weeks keep messing with me.  I get it in when I can, but not as consistent as I've been.  This week isn't looking good either.  Work is still busy, have my first test of the semester Wednesday, and my mother is flying in on Thursday for the weekend's for my son's 5th.  I'm determined to get more in this week than I did last week though.

Here is a piece of good news.  No more training on the wal-mart Mongoose MTB.  Picked up a road bike yesterday for free dollars.  It's an older Cannondale Caad4 with low miles on it.  My buddy rode it once in the 2 years he owned it, and recently had it tuned up.  We're about the same size, so the fit is good.  It's already a thousand times easier to move than what I've been riding and it'll give me a base line for when I actually go buy my first bike.

So with my first Tri 3 months out, here is my first (of many to come) noob questions.  What do I need on my bike for the race?  I need to add at least 2 water cages, a computer, under seat bag, pump, and multi use tool.  That is what stands out to me.  What am I missing?

2012-02-27 5:57 AM
in reply to: #4067447

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

ccoffin - 2012-02-26 8:37 PM

It's an older Cannondale Caad4 with low miles on it.  My buddy rode it once in the 2 years he owned it, and recently had it tuned up.  We're about the same size, so the fit is good.  It's already a thousand times easier to move than what I've been riding and it'll give me a base line for when I actually go buy my first bike.

So with my first Tri 3 months out, here is my first (of many to come) noob questions.  What do I need on my bike for the race?  I need to add at least 2 water cages, a computer, under seat bag, pump, and multi use tool.  That is what stands out to me.  What am I missing?

Great score Chris!!!  One key item - pedals. Don't know if you have biking shoes and use the clip in pedals, but these you'll need.  There are a plethora of brands and models out there, and I personally use Ritchey Echelon pedals for my roadie. I bought these on sale at my lbs, but again there are many versions.  I find these easier to clip in when on the run than the typical SPD type clipless pedals. Typically the LBS should have a pre-kitted bag to go under the seat for flats and such ... don't forget to add a spare tube as well.

Oh ... on the computer - there are several, but I use the Garmin Forerunner which uses GPS, incorporates a heart monitor and is super versatile for multi-sport training and/or racing.  I do not recommend getting the clip-on bike mount for this ... I've already lost one and been lucky to see it fall off at other times. 

Again, great score with the bike ... good luck with all of the add ons.

2012-02-27 10:06 AM
in reply to: #4067447

User image

Expert

Gary,  I know I'm way late on this, but I use a Bell MTB helmet.  Training has hit a huge road block the last week.  60 hour work weeks keep messing with me.  I get it in when I can, but not as consistent as I've been.  This week isn't looking good either.  Work is still busy, have my first test of the semester Wednesday, and my mother is flying in on Thursday for the weekend's for my son's 5th.  I'm determined to get more in this week than I did last week though.

Here is a piece of good news.  No more training on the wal-mart Mongoose MTB.  Picked up a road bike yesterday for free dollars.  It's an older Cannondale Caad4 with low miles on it.  My buddy rode it once in the 2 years he owned it, and recently had it tuned up.  We're about the same size, so the fit is good.  It's already a thousand times easier to move than what I've been riding and it'll give me a base line for when I actually go buy my first bike.

Nice find.  

I would only get one cage for the frame if you are doing Sprints this year.  You could add AeroBars later and get an aero drink bottle or add a cage for OLY races and longer.

If you are in the market for a GPS enabled multi sport watch, then the Garmin Forerunner 310xt or 910xt would be great (I am deciding between the two right now).  If you are looking for a budget option, get any old computer at your LBS and have them mount it.  The Forerunners will run you between $300-$450.  A wired mounted computer will be around $40. 

Get a bag for under the seat with 2 tubes, a tire changing tool, and a hex wrench.  Get a frame mounted pump at LBS as well.  You should be able to do all of that for under $100.

Have fun!

2012-02-27 10:15 AM

User image

Expert

Had a great outside run in the snow and cold over the weekend.  It was my first run in the cold in a while.  Logistics demanded it, so I bucked up, and bundled up, and headed outside for about 4 1/2 miles Saturday morning before sunrise.  No radio. Just my feet hitting the snow crunching.  It was beautiful and I am going to get tougher in my old age and run less indoors and more outside.  

That said, I went indoors this morning and did some hills on the Dreadmill.  No hills in Michigan.  It was a great 7.3 miles with 8 x 2min at a 6% incline at 7.6mph with a 2min rest.  Then to the pool for 1200 yds with some intervals.  It is a great start to a busy week.  I am trying to get in 9 workouts by Friday before I head out of town for 4 days.  We are going to Park City, Utah skiing and I figure I will need 2 days to acclimate before I try to run there.  Planning on 8 miles next Monday, but we will see how I feel.

Hope everyone is plugging along.  Happy training.

2012-02-27 12:36 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

My two cents for the bike:

Pics or it didn't happen!  We all love bike p@rn!

Bike fitting - will make a difference

Roadside repair kit - spare tube or two, levers, CO2 cartridges (at least 2) and dispenser and(/or) frame mounted pump.  I have a frame pump but have not mounted it.  Make sure you have tried changing a tire and have used the CO2 prior to an emergency.  Watch the 2009 (I think) Kona where Chrissie W wasted her only CO2 cartridge.  Also, changing road tires are a little harder/different than road so try that out once.  Either put it all in an under the seat bag or in a bike bottle in a cage.  I have one hex wrench in my bag but for racing if I am breaking that out chances are my day is over.

Cages - one or two.  Fairly cheap.  Note that some frames only accept one or, while they can accept two cages, only have room for one bottle.  My QR's frame (Seduza) I can only use a small bottle in one of the cages.  That said I have an aerobottle and use one cage.  That is enough extra weight to carry around and is usually enough for me to get thru a HIM.

Pedals - clipless with Tri shoes will be a big help.  I have the shimano's and got that for a great price off of ST or BT (can't remember which).

Aero bars - This can get a little expensive as adding aero bars you will probably want to move the shifters (don't have to).  Also this will change your fit so you should probably get the aerobars and plan a fitting as they my have to change stems, move seat, etc.  If you get aero bars get an aerobottle, so much easier to drink from.

Computer - you can get a dedicated bike computer (I didn't have much luck with them) or you can use a Garmin 301, 305, 405, 310xt or 910xt (getting a used 301, 305, 405 will be cheapest).  If you get a garmin you will also want to get the speed/cadence sensor for when riding on the trainer.  HR strap is helpful if you train by HR.

PowerTap - expensive but a great training tool

Race wheels - helpful but not the best bang for the buck

Aero helmet - a very good bang for the buck but get aero bars first.

Clothing - Shoe covers - helps for cold days.  Cold weather gear (layers) including Baclava (always get that wrong)

Edited by GaryRM 2012-02-27 12:40 PM
2012-02-27 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4068284

User image

Master
St. Louis
leftrunner - 2012-02-27 10:06 AM

Nice find.  

I would only get one cage for the frame if you are doing Sprints this year.  You could add AeroBars later and get an aero drink bottle or add a cage for OLY races and longer.

If you are in the market for a GPS enabled multi sport watch, then the Garmin Forerunner 310xt or 910xt would be great (I am deciding between the two right now).  If you are looking for a budget option, get any old computer at your LBS and have them mount it.  The Forerunners will run you between $300-$450.  A wired mounted computer will be around $40. 

Get a bag for under the seat with 2 tubes, a tire changing tool, and a hex wrench.  Get a frame mounted pump at LBS as well.  You should be able to do all of that for under $100.

Have fun!

I went with CO2 instead of a frame mounted pump and went with a Cateye dual wireless for the bike computer (I don't have a garmin yet), they "double" is because it picks up speed and cadence.  Whatever you choose, make sure it can measure cadence.  I keep forgetting to throw a small patch kit in the bag in case I have multiple flats.

2012-02-27 7:33 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Lots of good advice here.

Still haven't had a chance to ride yet, aside from an up and down the block for a test, but am planning on an early morning ride tomorrow.  The bike is likely as entry level as I could find, which is actually what I was looking for.  I didn't want to end up with more bike than I can handle.  I believe its an early 2000's CAAD4 model with a 9 speed Shimano Tiagra setup.  

I plan on hitting up the LBS this weekend for some fitting and adjustments.  Will first grab a cage and bottle.  There is room for 2, but as someone recommended, I should be able to get by with just one for Sprint distances.  I don't typically need a lot of water when I run anyway.  I'll grab the essential tools, spare tubes, and pumps, and then go from there.  The current pedals are not clipless.  They're the ones with the straps over the top.  I think I'll go with this for a few weeks until I'm a bit more comfortable, and then make the switch to the biking shoes.  

I was planning on using just a mounted computer on the bike, but from what I'm hearing, I may as well just go Garmin.  They are a local company afterall.  I've seen a few preowned Forerunners on the classifieds here for $99.  Seems like a good deal to get started.

I'll try to get a picture up later on this evening Gary.

And for the real good news, I was actually able to get back in the pool this morning.  Man the water was cold, but it felt so good.

Thanks again for the tips!

2012-02-27 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4068310

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina
leftrunner - 2012-02-27 11:15 AM

Had a great outside run in the snow and cold over the weekend.  It was my first run in the cold in a while ... just my feet hitting the snow crunching.  It was beautiful and I am going to get tougher in my old age and run less indoors and more outside.  

Dude you are da' MAN.  Running in the snow is 'bout as bad as it gets. 

Oh - and enjoy your trip to Park City.  We were just there  2/11 - 2/18 and snow was thin.  Best days were at Brighton and Powder Mtn.  Ski mag listed Powder Mtn a few years ago as the best place to ski no-ones ever heard of.  The tree skiing there is phenomenal. 

2012-02-27 10:57 PM
in reply to: #4069614

User image

Expert
Dorm57 - 2012-02-27 8:53 PM
leftrunner - 2012-02-27 11:15 AM

Had a great outside run in the snow and cold over the weekend.  It was my first run in the cold in a while ... just my feet hitting the snow crunching.  It was beautiful and I am going to get tougher in my old age and run less indoors and more outside.  

Dude you are da' MAN.  Running in the snow is 'bout as bad as it gets. 

Oh - and enjoy your trip to Park City.  We were just there  2/11 - 2/18 and snow was thin.  Best days were at Brighton and Powder Mtn.  Ski mag listed Powder Mtn a few years ago as the best place to ski no-ones ever heard of.  The tree skiing there is phenomenal. 

We have a free condo at Deer Valley, so I think we will stick with that.  I am sure it will be better than Michigan skiing even on a bad Utah day.

Did you run while on vacation?  I have an 8 mile run scheduled, but I am thinking of changing to a shorter run and moving my 8 mile to Wednesday after I get back home.  I am concerned about the altitude.

2012-02-28 5:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, North Carolina

One of the biggest things I appreciate about going to Utah is the altitude.  DV base is at about 6500' and the summit is at about 9500'.  If you're staying at the base or lower as in Park City, then the altitude should cause you no problems whatsoever.  I typically don't run when on ski vacation ... because I want to save the energy to ski.  I will get on a stationary bike to get-keep loose, but run - never :

I take it this is your first trip the Utah, so get ready to be overwhelmed as to the slopes, the snow, the vastness and bring lots of wrinkle cream to get rid of the wrinkles from grinning all day.  Have a great trip and be safe ...Dorm

Edited by Dorm57 2012-02-28 5:20 AM
2012-02-28 7:44 AM
in reply to: #4069889

User image

Expert
Dorm57 - 2012-02-28 6:16 AM

One of the biggest things I appreciate about going to Utah is the altitude.  DV base is at about 6500' and the summit is at about 9500'.  If you're staying at the base or lower as in Park City, then the altitude should cause you no problems whatsoever.  I typically don't run when on ski vacation ... because I want to save the energy to ski.  I will get on a stationary bike to get-keep loose, but run - never  

I take it this is your first trip the Utah, so get ready to be overwhelmed as to the slopes, the snow, the vastness and bring lots of wrinkle cream to get rid of the wrinkles from grinning all day.  Have a great trip and be safe ...Dorm

I lived in SLC from 1993-1994.  Only skied a few times at Alta, but it was amazing.  Tough to remember that far back.  Thanks.

2012-02-28 11:27 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

Hey all!

Been a bit AWOl.  My son was kicked by his horse Saturday and has been in the hospital since then.  Hoping to get out today or tomorrow.  Thankfully my workouts have helps with the stress.

2012-02-28 12:43 PM

User image

Expert

is he OK???

Best wishes coming south to your son and your family.

2012-02-28 2:29 PM
in reply to: #4070645

Veteran
GaryRM - 2012-02-28 11:27 AM

Hey all!

Been a bit AWOl.  My son was kicked by his horse Saturday and has been in the hospital since then.  Hoping to get out today or tomorrow.  Thankfully my workouts have helps with the stress.

Oh no! I hope that he's going to be OK? Keep us posted.
2012-02-28 3:23 PM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

Sending down some good thoughts Gary.  Hope he is OK.

Edited by ccoffin 2012-02-28 3:23 PM
2012-02-28 3:30 PM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area

All,

thanks, he is doing much better.  Hoping to check out of the hospital today.  Out of school for a few more days but he is up and around. 

2012-02-29 12:55 AM

User image

Expert

So I need some Mentor Group inspiration.  I have a 10 mile Long Run scheduled for tomorrow 2/29.  I am at work right now until 7am and will go home and sleep 4 hours then get up and do a 40 min swim.

After that I can either head up to the indoor track and do 120 laps (ugh), or head out in to what will likely be 40-45 degrees with 18-20 mph winds and a light rain.

So, should I HTFU and get on my foul weather gear and hit the road, or risk death from oval track boredom and stay inside.

What say ye?

2012-02-29 6:39 AM
in reply to: #4072002

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
leftrunner - 2012-02-29 12:55 AM

So I need some Mentor Group inspiration.  I have a 10 mile Long Run scheduled for tomorrow 2/29.  I am at work right now until 7am and will go home and sleep 4 hours then get up and do a 40 min swim.

After that I can either head up to the indoor track and do 120 laps (ugh), or head out in to what will likely be 40-45 degrees with 18-20 mph winds and a light rain.

So, should I HTFU and get on my foul weather gear and hit the road, or risk death from oval track boredom and stay inside.

What say ye?

Outside, 40-45 is perfect running weather.  The wind and light rain just makes you a bada$$ for doing it!

2012-02-29 10:19 AM

User image

Regular
Kansas City

What say ye?

Get outside and breathe the fresh air!  You probably won't notice the bad weather after a mile or so anyway!

2012-02-29 10:39 AM

Veteran

What say ye?

Outside. No question. Once you start, you will be fine. The hardest part is just getting your a$$ out the door. Let us know when you're done. We'll be checking.
2012-02-29 11:57 AM

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Quick update on my son, got out of the hospital about 8:30 last night.  Spent the morning with him and he is spending the afternoon with his mom.  Doing quite well and I suspect he will become stir crazy at home soon.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gary's Mentor Group - Re-OPENED for Training Rss Feed  

of 115