BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2011-08-17 11:49 AM
in reply to: #3294922

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED
Welcome back to the training Sara.  Couldn't agree more on listening to your body and taking your time.  And I'm very jealous of your swim time / would kill to see those numbers!!!

2011-08-17 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

Have fun with the re-ramp, Sara!

I've missed the past couple days of training due to various things and I'm finding it is making me grumpy. I think its a physical reaction to not having an outlet for energy. My body wants to get up and go, go, go but I'm at work, etc. and doing laps around the office would likely be frowned upon .  I did tell the wife I'm going for a run tonight, no matter what, so that should help get me back on track.

I also think I hit a bit of a milestone with my running on Sunday. It was my 'long' run for the week, and the entire time I was out, I felt like I could keep going and going. When I finally completed it, my pace was about :20/mile slower than 'normal' but I felt great. Maybe just fortunate to find a good long/training pace perhaps?

2011-08-17 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3646892

User image

Master
Dunedin

suzielea - 2011-08-17 8:33 AM

Congrats on creeping back in that direction. You'll get back to where you were eventually - listen to your body though. As for the ride - is there anywhere you can organise with buddy to stop and rest then get picked up when they are coming back? or an agreed "I can't go anymore"? point that you can stop and wait for them to finish their ride?

You offer such great, practical solutions!  Good Ideas!

2011-08-17 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

Curt, when I was in shape back in high school I could swim a 500 free a smidge over 6 minutes...those were the days! AND, that was a slow pace.  The fast girls could swim 'em in 5:30.  It's really hard to get back down to that time with triathlon since we have those two other sports to worry about.

Mike-nice job on the run!  I love that "I could go forever" feel.  Even after I finished the Philly marathon, I felt like I had a little left in my tank!

2011-08-17 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3647745

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
WittyCityGirl - 2011-08-17 3:26 PM

Curt, when I was in shape back in high school I could swim a 500 free a smidge over 6 minutes...those were the days! AND, that was a slow pace.  The fast girls could swim 'em in 5:30.  It's really hard to get back down to that time with triathlon since we have those two other sports to worry about.

Mike-nice job on the run!  I love that "I could go forever" feel.  Even after I finished the Philly marathon, I felt like I had a little left in my tank!

Thanks! I'm now running by time, not distance, which I've found to be a much better way to go for me. This past Sunday was a 1 hour run, my longest since Februray! Yeah! .  The time vs distance also is a great mental thing as I  can run 22.5 minutes down the road, turn around, and then run back where I started w/o worrying about distance, etc. And I'm finding I actually run a bit quicker this way as its all about just going out and running. Thank you Don Fink!
2011-08-17 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Understand the frustration of lost fitness -- at all of 5'9" could dunk a baseball and run a 4.5 40 yard dash.  Now I can't touch the net and 4.5 might get me through 30 yards!!!!

On the flip side, have swam more in any one of the months over the past year than I did in my entire life.

And...

I changed my signature block to get rid of the drowning reference.

Heading out in a few for my first workout post-tri.  Been a slug the past two days.

ETA -- Fail on the evening routine.  Need to get back at it today!

Edited by croixfan 2011-08-18 6:56 AM

2011-08-17 8:18 PM
in reply to: #3647648

Extreme Veteran
Mike_D - 2011-08-17 1:44 PM

Have fun with the re-ramp, Sara!

I've missed the past couple days of training due to various things and I'm finding it is making me grumpy. I think its a physical reaction to not having an outlet for energy. My body wants to get up and go, go, go but I'm at work, etc. and doing laps around the office would likely be frowned upon .  I did tell the wife I'm going for a run tonight, no matter what, so that should help get me back on track.

I also think I hit a bit of a milestone with my running on Sunday. It was my 'long' run for the week, and the entire time I was out, I felt like I could keep going and going. When I finally completed it, my pace was about :20/mile slower than 'normal' but I felt great. Maybe just fortunate to find a good long/training pace perhaps?

Mike - I had the "active body issue" last night too. I ended up doing some ST - push ups and squats. If you want to run though you can use the stairs or use some of your lunch break to go out.

Sara - thanks. I think it's partially the training I'm doing to work in the disability industry. Planning is good as are goals but they need to be both acheivable and flexible.

For instance - if you've never even ridden a bike before then having a goal of a century ride isn't really a great goal to start with (it can be your dream/very long term goalyes  but not a great initial goal as it will lead to discouragement due to the time it will take to reach) whereas riding around a block or to a close (geographically speaking) friend's house is potentially acheivable once you learn the basic bike skills. It also has to be flexible enough to work around current skills etc as well as how you feel on the day - for instance you may have a 10 min ride scheduled in the training to show friend you can now ride a bike but don't have the energy to complete the 10 mins that day or have mechanical issues, etc.

Anyway good luck with your ride.

Mike - I love the run for time thing although I mixed things up last time with my walking plan and did mins during the week and distance for LD's.

Curt - congrats on all the swimming. I think I'm on something simalar. As to lost fitness I think I lost most of mine when I first got sick at 8 years old so there's not much to go on although I did run a full km for a 3rg AG in xc my first year at school and was a lot more flexible until I had to quit gymnastics because of issues with the childcare solutions my parents had come up with.

Anyway this week's plans are - get at least 5.51 miles run/walking in to smash 100 miles for the year and all my bike time (as per beginner exercise program) in along with ST and yoga.

2011-08-17 9:05 PM
in reply to: #3648138

User image

Master
Dunedin
croixfan - 2011-08-17 8:48 PM

And...

I changed my signature block to get rid of the drowning reference.

And that's why I mentor groups-to see the positive changes develop! NICE SIGGY!

2011-08-17 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3648171

User image

Master
Dunedin
suzielea - 2011-08-17 9:18 PM

Anyway this week's plans are - get at least 5.51 miles run/walking in to smash 100 miles for the year and all my bike time (as per beginner exercise program) in along with ST and yoga.

Great goals for the week. =)

2011-08-17 11:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

Completed a 35 minute OWS tonight--I believe it was around 800 meters, followed by a brief bike ride with one killer hill (I'll map it soon..)On the bad side, for some reason (coach thinks it was air quality...)my breathing was particularly bad tonight. I still was able to complete the workout.

I only have one more session with my coach too, she will be packing up and moving to Southern California on the 31st..she said she would like to continue coaching me though and that we can work out a deal for online coaching for next season.

Tomorrow I have a 4 mile run to complete, Friday will have a 16 mile bike ride, and Saturday entails a 1200 meter swim....Apart from that, not much else is going on! Laughing

2011-08-18 1:18 AM
in reply to: #3648378

Extreme Veteran
kgore - 2011-08-17 11:55 PM

Completed a 35 minute OWS tonight--I believe it was around 800 meters, followed by a brief bike ride with one killer hill (I'll map it soon..)On the bad side, for some reason (coach thinks it was air quality...)my breathing was particularly bad tonight. I still was able to complete the workout.

Congrats on completing the workout.

Got in just under 20 mins riding today plus yoga. I'm definitely improving in both. I got 5.75 mph on the bike - not sure if it was the rain, the terrain or just me pushing it (mainly because of the rain, lol) but I'll take it - and I was able to do plank, downward facing dog and the extension thing (opposite arm and leg at the same time) for the majority of time I was meant to. Only issue now is the "boat" pose.

2011-08-18 6:55 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
kgore - 2011-08-18 12:55 AM

I only have one more session with my coach too, she will be packing up and moving to Southern California on the 31st..she said she would like to continue coaching me though and that we can work out a deal for online coaching for next season.

Tomorrow I have a 4 mile run to complete, Friday will have a 16 mile bike ride, and Saturday entails a 1200 meter swim....Apart from that, not much else is going on! Laughing

This is awesome! Go get 'em!!!

Curt - love the sig change. I don't have any sig, and need to come up with something.

I have a pile of snacks on my desk at work and folks are asking about it often, and wondering how I don't weight 300 pounds . Its usually some sort of fruit, some nuts, a Clif bar or two, and I usually polish it all off every day. I make a few small snack breaks during the day as it keeps my hunger at bay, and provides some good fuel for the day.

Finally got off my duff this AM and put in some bike time. Just 30 minutes on the trainer, but I felt great when I was done, and I sweat up a storm which for some odd reason motivates me. I've had a real issue the past couple weeks getting my butt out of bed to do my workouts. Don't know why. I need to address it, though! I feel SO good when I get them in, and the days I miss, I spend the rest of the day angry at myself for being a lazy bum. I get mad as I know what I can do, have the potential to do, and to not realize it, or worse - even making the effort to do it - is very disappointing to me. So, I need to get my sorry a** lardbutt up and moving! No more excuses or snooze buttons! :^)

2011-08-18 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
kgore - 2011-08-17 11:55 PM

Love it -- "apart from that, not much else is going on".  You've come a long way Kate!!!!

2011-08-18 7:00 AM
in reply to: #3648497

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike_D - 2011-08-18 6:55 AM

This is awesome! Go get 'em!!!

Curt - love the sig change. I don't have any sig, and need to come up with something.

I have a pile of snacks on my desk at work and folks are asking about it often, and wondering how I don't weight 300 pounds . Its usually some sort of fruit, some nuts, a Clif bar or two, and I usually polish it all off every day. I make a few small snack breaks during the day as it keeps my hunger at bay, and provides some good fuel for the day.

Finally got off my duff this AM and put in some bike time. Just 30 minutes on the trainer, but I felt great when I was done, and I sweat up a storm which for some odd reason motivates me. I've had a real issue the past couple weeks getting my butt out of bed to do my workouts. Don't know why. I need to address it, though! I feel SO good when I get them in, and the days I miss, I spend the rest of the day angry at myself for being a lazy bum. I get mad as I know what I can do, have the potential to do, and to not realize it, or worse - even making the effort to do it - is very disappointing to me. So, I need to get my sorry a** lardbutt up and moving! No more excuses or snooze buttons! :^)

Think it's the natural ups and downs Mike.  Also think it has something to do with coming to the end of the season and looking to relax / not necessarily having a big target in front of you.

One of the reasons I love the training groups.  There's always somebody that is moving forward (i.e. Kate!) that provides the KITA to get going.  My son's a huge runner and he talks about this all of the time with the guys he runs with.  They actually help each other all of the time over the mental hurdles during the workouts.  Believe it or not, when I'm out on some of my workouts and start to get discouraged, I remember some of the posts / comments from here.  They help!

Have a great day.

2011-08-18 10:40 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Coming up for air and trying to catch up!

I was away for a week and just got home Friday and then raced an Oly Sunday. You can click the race tab below to see my rr. It was a fun race. The course is flat and the scenery along the coast is beautiful. I pr'd by 7 min which made me happy! I started so slow last year that I'm having some good pr's this year I know that'll end at some point but it sure is motivating for now.

Last week a friend and I took our horses and trailered from San Jose to Whidbey Island, Washington. It was a great trip. Good friends, good food (and lots of it including 3 ice cream lunches at the local homemade place) and good horses. I took all my workout stuff with me and was able to do an OP swim and biked/ran around the island. I think that helped me not gain a pound even though I ate like my horse!

Training is back to normal except for swimming. I haven't been able to get my butt out of bed early enough so far this week but I'm going to make a better effort tomorrow

Dave has another business trip next month and he asked me to go with him so we're going to England. Susie, where do you live???

I haven't caught up on all the posts but it looks like everyone has been busy!

Johanne

2011-08-18 7:39 PM
in reply to: #3648918

Extreme Veteran
50andgettingfit - 2011-08-18 10:40 AM

I was away for a week and just got home Friday and then raced an Oly Sunday. You can click the race tab below to see my rr. It was a fun race. The course is flat and the scenery along the coast is beautiful. I pr'd by 7 min which made me happy! I started so slow last year that I'm having some good pr's this year I know that'll end at some point but it sure is motivating for now.

Last week a friend and I took our horses and trailered from San Jose to Whidbey Island, Washington. It was a great trip. Good friends, good food (and lots of it including 3 ice cream lunches at the local homemade place) and good horses. I took all my workout stuff with me and was able to do an OP swim and biked/ran around the island. I think that helped me not gain a pound even though I ate like my horse!

Training is back to normal except for swimming. I haven't been able to get my butt out of bed early enough so far this week but I'm going to make a better effort tomorrow

Dave has another business trip next month and he asked me to go with him so we're going to England. Susie, where do you live???

Johanne

Great work on the new PR. I live in Australia - about 40k out of Melbourne.

2011-08-18 8:02 PM
in reply to: #3649914

User image

Expert
San Jose
suzielea - 2011-08-18 5:39 PM
50andgettingfit - 2011-08-18 10:40 AM

Johanne

Great work on the new PR. I live in Australia - about 40k out of Melbourne.

That's right! I'm not sure why I was thinking England???

2011-08-18 9:42 PM

User image

Master
Dunedin

I have a 4 mile run to complete, Friday will have a 16 mile bike ride, and Saturday entails a 1200 meter swim....Apart from that, not much else is going on! Laughing

Cool! Sounds like some big volume!

2011-08-18 9:46 PM
in reply to: #3648497

User image

Master
Dunedin
Mike_D - 2011-08-18 7:55 AM

You like to move it! Move it!  You like to... MOVE IT!  Get those workouts in Mike!

I found that, yes, I love working out, but I like my "treats" after.  So, somedays I bribe myself-if I get up then I can get a Starbucks coffee.  Hopefully, you'll find something that works for you so you get up and at 'em!

2011-08-18 9:55 PM
in reply to: #3648918

User image

Master
Dunedin
50andgettingfit - 2011-08-18 11:40 AM

Dave has another business trip next month and he asked me to go with him so we're going to England.

Johanne

OH!!! Where in England??? I studied in Oxford for a semester and loooooved it.  Great job in the PR!

2011-08-18 10:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA

I have always wanted to go to England! I am sure you'll have a great time.

I completed my run tonight, 4 miles in 53 minutes. That is my race distance--My coach wants me to work on training on "over" distancing in hopes that when the race comes, my distances will be cake. I think it is time to get me a new pair of running shoes though, my feet have been a bit sore after my runs of late, and there has been some blistering as well. Its time, theres been quite a few miles run on this pair of shoes.

2011-08-19 1:27 AM
in reply to: #3650082

Extreme Veteran
kgore - 2011-08-18 10:50 PM

I have always wanted to go to England! I am sure you'll have a great time.

I completed my run tonight, 4 miles in 53 minutes. That is my race distance--My coach wants me to work on training on "over" distancing in hopes that when the race comes, my distances will be cake. I think it is time to get me a new pair of running shoes though, my feet have been a bit sore after my runs of late, and there has been some blistering as well. Its time, theres been quite a few miles run on this pair of shoes.

Great job on the miles - nice pace - I keep trying to do that myself in prep for races but i never quite get there, lol. Oh and enjoy the new shoes.

On new gear - I'm thinking I may need a new set of pedals - a small part of the rubber on the left one is worn through to the metal bit and hurts the outside of my foot if I put any pressure on it - only discovered it on the weekend and have been making sure to use the other side of the pedal (normal flat pedals) but I'm a bit worried about whether it'll happen again - especially since I've only really started riding seriously over the last 2 weeks.

Oh and here's a link to the story of my journey - I'm playing with the idea of releasing it on here for the general population too but I'm not sure - http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/beginners/journey-transplant-running

Edited by suzielea 2011-08-19 1:30 AM
2011-08-19 5:28 AM
in reply to: #3650117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
I say go for it Suzie!!!!  You've made a ton of progress already and are going to continue to see progress between now and your race this fall.
2011-08-19 7:26 AM
in reply to: #3650142

Extreme Veteran

croixfan - 2011-08-19 5:28 AM I say go for it Suzie!!!!  You've made a ton of progress already and are going to continue to see progress between now and your race this fall.

Thanks - One thing though - my race will be in spring - our seasons are opposite to yours.

2011-08-19 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston

So, it appears my alarm clock is conspiring against my getting up early. I discovered this AM the alarm which had working fine, has gone crazy, and is working only when it feels like it. I missed my run this AM as I wok up an hour and a half later than intended with no alarm heard at all. Anyway, I'll be replacing it tonight. My wife also wants to go swimming this weekend, and get her workout in, so I'll go with her and do the one I missed. I *will* get my bike ride in tomorrow and my long run on Sunday!

England/Australia -- either is fine! I did live in London for a year when I went to graduate school, and it was fantastic.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Sink or SWIM! with WittyCityGirl - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 72