BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 88

2013-08-22 5:17 PM
in reply to: wannabefaster

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED
Originally posted by wannabefaster

So, I have been talking up about how I am healing nicely but I have still been having a lot of pain in my elbow. One of the benefits of working in an OR is access to pretty high-tech medical equipment. Like X-ray machines. Stuck my arm in a C-arm X-ray and I have a small fracture of my olecranon (think point of your elbow). It doesn't really hurt while running or swimming or really doing anything........except when I get in aero and have to rest my arm on the pads. Then it hurts a lot. Interestingly, if I grit my teeth and tolerate it for a minute or so, the pain eases up and I am good.

I talked with one of the orthopedic surgeons here who says that it is a completely insignificant fracture that is totally stable, doesn't require intervention, is in a great spot and that I should have no restrictions and can do whatever I can tolerate (which is everything related to triathlon) so no change in plans for Tahoe.

Just sharing.

It's great you have access to that kind of information - glad it won't slow you down

2013-08-22 8:38 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-I have had a hot spot on my elbow since my wreck in May. No pain unless I put pressure on a certain spot and then it is only for a few seconds. Weird.

Made the drive to Greenville to drop daughter off at Furman tomorrow. Wow. What a great town with lots of cyclists and runners. Looking forward to exploring the local trails over  the next few years. Met up with Nate from our group and his lovely fiance for a beer or two. Jamie got tied up with erands before leaving for Louisville in the morning. Really great to meet Nate and visit with him and look forward to getting together with he and Jamie when I get back up here. Nate and Jamie are ready for Louisville and are set for a great race Sunday.   Can't wait to follow their progress on Sunday.  Every time I have had the opportuntity to meet up with one of my BT friends it has been fantastic. Wish I would have had more time to hang with Nate but we had dinner plans with daughter's roommate and her family.

Going to do an early run tomorrow and explore Greenville some more before we get into full move in mode!

2013-08-22 9:07 PM
in reply to: slornow

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Hey Randy. I spend quite a bit of time riding nearby there (in NC, but less than an hour away). Yeah, the riding is first-rate. And trail running in Dupont Forest is also fantastic. I've mountain biked there too, which I find totally petrifying.

You ought to time a visit with a local tri some time! The Greenville area has some really good races (and some fast racers), as does the Columbia area, and a few others around the state that would be more or less on your way. (You're always welcome to stay with us if you want -- queen bed with a private bathroom. Phone number is the same or PM me if you don't have it any more.)
2013-08-23 3:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England

So, I have been talking up about how I am healing nicely but I have still been having a lot of pain in my elbow. One of the benefits of working in an OR is access to pretty high-tech medical equipment. Like X-ray machines. Stuck my arm in a C-arm X-ray and I have a small fracture of my olecranon (think point of your elbow). It doesn't really hurt while running or swimming or really doing anything........except when I get in aero and have to rest my arm on the pads. Then it hurts a lot. Interestingly, if I grit my teeth and tolerate it for a minute or so, the pain eases up and I am good.

I talked with one of the orthopedic surgeons here who says that it is a completely insignificant fracture that is totally stable, doesn't require intervention, is in a great spot and that I should have no restrictions and can do whatever I can tolerate (which is everything related to triathlon) so no change in plans for Tahoe.

Just sharing.

That's really interesting because I had a very similar pain after my crash (and actually in the other arm after last year!). I considered going to see the Dr, as it was quite shockingly painful, but only when I rested on the wrong part of my elbow. Since it didn't hurt when I actually did anything I figured I'd just let it be and see if it sorted itself out, which it did...

Good to know it's not going to have a massive effect on your training.
2013-08-23 5:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
After dealing with some saddle issues that started cropping up about 4 weeks ago (after 6 weeks in my new saddle with nary a problem), I found myself searching yesterday for a solution.

My fit is good. I've made the transition from cycling in cycling shorts full time, to being able to ride in tri shorts for 50+ miles. Alas, since making that switch, I've had some really odd chafy/blistery spots. I rode a mere 14 miles yesterday and came home with two blisters on each side of my pubic area equidistant from one another. I'm irritated.

So today I went to the Specialized bike shop in town because they have the 'azz-o-meter' to sit on. I was thinking that since I wasn't having the issue in my cycling shorts that, perhaps, now that I don't have the padding I may be dealing with a saddle that's too narrow. The padding helped disguise that, and once the padding was gone, there was nothing to support my body weight except soft tissue.

So...I trundle my bike into the shop with it's 130mm wide Bontrager saddle and discuss my issues. I sit on the azz-o-meter, he measures and....

my sit bones are 153mm wide.

Hell's bells...no wonder my parts were getting irritated.

I now have a Specialized saddle (in the 168 mm width) on my bike. It was heaven on the trainer. Going out for a test drive tomorrow. Sad how a mere 3.8 cm can change your life.

Edited by glfprncs 2013-08-23 5:56 PM
2013-08-23 9:11 PM
in reply to: #4724546

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Nancy that's great news about your new saddle. Hope you ride ass blister free

2013-08-23 9:40 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Nancy that's great news about your new saddle. Hope you ride blister free

I wish it was my axz that blistered! That would be easier to deal with.

Also...why does BT delete the word a$$ when I type it, but it doesn't delete yours?

Edited by glfprncs 2013-08-23 9:41 PM
2013-08-23 9:51 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by slornow

Going to do an early run tomorrow and explore Greenville some more before we get into full move in mode!

This is one of the greatest things about being a runner, getting to explore new places on foot. I love getting up really early to run when we are traveling. You can see parts of a city that you would never otherwise be exposed to. We are going to go to Paris this winter for a short trip and seeing the city on foot, while running, is one of the things I am really looking forward to.
2013-08-23 9:57 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Hey everyone, just checking in. Nate and I are all checked in and settled in! We got our race bibs, etc. and checked out the athlete meeting; I had a nice meal with parents, who've come from NC to watch the race. We did a short run earlier, right over the Ohio river, which was something to see at night. Tomorrow we do a practice swim, drive the bike course, check our bikes in…then it's supper and sleep! I'll check in again tomorrow. Night!
2013-08-23 10:04 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

This is one of the greatest things about being a runner, getting to explore new places on foot.

x2. Some of my most memorable runs are in strange places where I was just exploring.
2013-08-24 12:43 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Jamie and Nate...have a great race! There are 5 people from my tri club racing this weekend, too. I'll have LOTS of people to follow on the website.

2013-08-24 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Good luck Jamie and Nate. You guys will kill it!

2013-08-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: chapfallen

User image

Extreme Veteran
England
Got new bike shoes today. I've been planning on changing my pedals for a while (I'm still running SPD's on all my bikes, which upset my friend when he saw "those horrible mountain bike pedals on such a beautiful tri bike"). The actual purchase was a bit of a last minute decision. Planet X have a fantastic sale on at the moment and I decided to pick up some decent shoes while I can. So I've got the fizik R3's. I got them in red because it meant they were £60 instead of £100 for any of the other colours. And of course everyone knows red is faster, right? I'm unsure about the colour, but the shoes seem awesome. Just waiting for the pedals to arrive (they've been shipped) so I can try them out on the bike.
2013-08-24 4:04 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Originally posted by glfprncs Jamie and Nate...have a great race! There are 5 people from my tri club racing this weekend, too. I'll have LOTS of people to follow on the website.

KNOCK IT OUT OF THE PARK BOYS!!!!  

2013-08-24 6:01 PM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Michael/Experior-thanks for the invite! I've still got your cell #.....you may regret that!

Nancy-hope the saddle issue are resolving. You were smart to go get "fitted".

Can't wait to follow Nate and Jamie tomorrow. Also, know a couple guys doing Ironman Canada so lots of living Ironman through others tomorrow. Really excited for Nate and Jamie.

Finally made it home from dropping daughter off at Furman in Greenville, SC. 480 miles each way. So much more involved moving her in than moving my son in last year. Decorating......I was strictly labor and made more trips to the car which was a pretty good walk and up and down 3 flights of steps to her room than I can remember. Did all of that after an early morning run yesterday and I was whooped last night. Got in a long run this morning on the Swamp Rabbit Trail that runs through downtown Greenville and then another 7-8 miles outside of town. Can't wait to do a race or two up that way. First dinner for wife and I in the empty nest is frozen pizza and wine We did have a nice dinner, just the two of us, last night. 

2013-08-24 6:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Greenville, SC
Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone! We just finished our day and are just relaxing our bodies until tomorrow morning. Hard to believe it's only about 11 more hours until we will be in the water!
Haven't been reading the forums much lately due to crazy work / out of town schedule. Not sure if it's already been posted, but here are our race numbers in case anyone is following along?

Jamie Roszel (1430)

James Leech (1359) My first name is actually James, I go by Nate 'cause it's my middle name and my parents always called me that

Thanks again! Really nervous, but really excited here!

2013-08-24 7:03 PM
in reply to: leechj

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Not much to say, lying here just thinking about tomorrow morning. Bib is 1430...let's see if all this training and planning pays off! Thanks for the support, everyone
2013-08-24 7:28 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Jami and Nate, you guys are going to do so great. I can't wait to follow along on tomorrow's adventure. In fact, I have a 5 hour ride planned for tomorrow and in the interest of preserving marital harmony and minimizing family impact I think I am going to suck it up and do it on the trainer. This is my long winded way of saying that I will have plenty of time to follow the two of you and I will be putting in some work as well--nothing like you guys will be doing--after all, you are doing an IM!

About saddles and saddle pain. I availed myself of the Slowtwitch saddle tour today. It was time well spent but it didn't help out my triathlon cause to spend three hours going to a bike shop during the worst part of IM training......... I got about 45 minutes of undivided attention from a really experienced bike fitter and tried out about 10 different saddles, including the two that I currently alternate back and forth between. Good news was that I am still pretty happy with what I ride. Better news (or worse depending on your perspective) I found a different saddle that I liked even better. It wasn't even obscenely expensive so I went ahead and bought it and mounted it on the bike. I have been wanting to try an Adamo for the longest time but my rear-end was unimpressed. The Specialized Sitero was actually pretty nice and I considered calling it my favorite but in the end it did not win.

The other really cool thing is that I got some real input on my bike fit with some things that can be changed to make me both more comfortable and more aero. There wasn't time for a full fit but we tinkered a little bit and the fitter gave me all of the dimensions off of the Retul fit bike so I am going to replicate it on my tri bike and see what I think. One thing that I will do (I learned this the hard way in the past) is mark down all of my current fit numbers in case the changes don't work out and I need to return to my current fit.
2013-08-24 7:42 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Go get em Nate and Jamie!!!
2013-08-24 8:14 PM

User image

56+ miles on the bike followed by a 2 mile run. The saddle is a definite improvement. For the first time, I felt my sit bones! I'd MUCH rather feel those than the other areas I've been feeling. It certainly wasn't perfect, but I'm still healing some 'stuff' from Thursday's ride in my other saddle. I'm going to stay off the bike until all flesh is non-irritated.

On a funny note, after months of issues with our club's tri kit order, I finally got my kit as well as a cycling jersey. I wore my kit shorts on today's ride, and my gal pal, Julie, who always rides behind me since she likes to blast off snot rockets says (totally out of the blue at mile 18)..."Nancy...those tri shorts make your butt look really small from back here."

Made. My. Day.

If anyone ever says my butt looks smaller in spandex, I'm a happy girl! LOLOL
2013-08-24 10:17 PM

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Go get em Nate and Jamie!!!

X2!!!

2013-08-24 11:06 PM
in reply to: Experior

User image

Calgary, AB

Jamie & Nate -- best of luck tomorrow.  You've both been training like fiends -- you're ready.  Bring it!

I had an event today -- participated in the Banff Granfondo -- a 90-mile bike ride from Banff to Lake Louise, right in the heart of Banff National Park.  Was a bit worried as my previous record ride was a shade over 40 miles.  Good news -- I survived.  Smile   Hurt like he11 (during the race and after!) but I'm proud to have completed it, and the scenery was spectacular.

You can read the gory details in my race report.  

Have been AWOL lately as I had a minor surgery (eye) which has gotten in the way of training for a couple of weeks.  Currently on a road trip -- left right after the event, and headed down for a 2-week trip to Southern California.   Tomorrow in Idaho, Monday night in Vegas, then San Diego and LA.   Will try to get a few runs in, as I have my final planned event upon our return -- Banff sprint triathlon (the site of my first tri).  

Scott.

2013-08-25 7:55 AM
in reply to: Hoos

User image

Master
South Alabama

They are out of the water. Jamie 1:14 and Nate 1:07. Nice times and a good start!

2013-08-25 11:44 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Boys are continuing to do well. Through mid point of the bike total race time, including swim, is:

Jamie 4:51

Nate 4:28

2013-08-25 12:55 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Boys are continuing to do well. Through mid point of the bike total race time, including swim, is:

Jamie 4:51

Nate 4:28

WOO HOO!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow's and Wannabefaster's Summer Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 88