BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 75

2014-03-20 6:05 AM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED
Originally posted by Stuartap

Nancy how about the next best thing. I am quite knowledgeable about health insurance including HRAs as that is my field (and my daughter is a lawyer) (and I use an HRA in my business). The short answer is you need to look at your Summary Plan Document (SPD). I am sure they either gave you a copy or have it available online. It will spell out what the plan is and for what period.

If your SPD is a calendar year plan which began on 1/1/2014 and they have changed it I would inquire as to where in the provisions of the plan or the Collective Bargaining Agreement if you are in a union with respect to benefits they have the right to make a mid-tear plan change. It is not unusual however.

In short, employers do have a right to change the plan design of an HRA just as they have the right to change a health plan. Finally I must make a comment about your last sentence. I know it feels like the insurance company is the bad guy here but the fault lies 100% with your employer. The carrier is not the one who unilaterally changed the plan, in fact they can never do that.

If you want to dig into this more send me a PM and I would be happy to help if I can.

You would think the union would be all over this!!

To make a retro change is just crazy! If nothing else, the backlash is going to be ugly!

2014-03-20 8:39 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Originally posted by Stuartap

Nancy how about the next best thing. I am quite knowledgeable about health insurance including HRAs as that is my field (and my daughter is a lawyer) (and I use an HRA in my business). The short answer is you need to look at your Summary Plan Document (SPD). I am sure they either gave you a copy or have it available online. It will spell out what the plan is and for what period.

If your SPD is a calendar year plan which began on 1/1/2014 and they have changed it I would inquire as to where in the provisions of the plan or the Collective Bargaining Agreement if you are in a union with respect to benefits they have the right to make a mid-tear plan change. It is not unusual however.

In short, employers do have a right to change the plan design of an HRA just as they have the right to change a health plan. Finally I must make a comment about your last sentence. I know it feels like the insurance company is the bad guy here but the fault lies 100% with your employer. The carrier is not the one who unilaterally changed the plan, in fact they can never do that.

If you want to dig into this more send me a PM and I would be happy to help if I can.

You would think the union would be all over this!!

To make a retro change is just crazy! If nothing else, the backlash is going to be ugly!

Georgia is a Right to Work state. Which actually means Right to Work for less!. Less pay, less benefits, less protection for the little guy. This probably isn't the right forum for this debate so I will leave it at that.
2014-03-20 10:19 AM
in reply to: GoldenSprocket

User image

Veteran
New Hampshire
Double edged sword - being busy at work is good since my wife and I have become accustomed to heating our house and clothing our son, but it's impossible to leave at 11am for a swim when I know I have so much to do. Such problems in life. Don't know how I'm going to make it.
2014-03-20 12:25 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Randy actually the light is fine, your fuse is out!

Steve if you want a nice recovery ride after your HIM in June the Morgan Hill Freedom Fest Bike Classic is adding a century ride to the lineup. Have you ever done this ride at any distance?

Edited by Stuartap 2014-03-20 12:26 PM
2014-03-20 1:19 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Regular
Morgan Hill, CA

Originally posted by Stuartap Steve if you want a nice recovery ride after your HIM in June the Morgan Hill Freedom Fest Bike Classic is adding a century ride to the lineup. Have you ever done this ride at any distance?

Stuart, thanks for the suggestion about the FreedomFest Bike Classic. I've never done it, but I've wanted to do it for quite a while. Have you done it? The century ride sounds pretty cool. Maybe I can work it into my schedule this year. I'm also thinking of doing the Sea Otter Classic Fondo or Tierra Bella in April. If I really get adventurous, I might do the California Death Ride in July. Hope your riding is going well!

2014-03-20 1:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by sdswriter

Originally posted by Stuartap Steve if you want a nice recovery ride after your HIM in June the Morgan Hill Freedom Fest Bike Classic is adding a century ride to the lineup. Have you ever done this ride at any distance?

Stuart, thanks for the suggestion about the FreedomFest Bike Classic. I've never done it, but I've wanted to do it for quite a while. Have you done it? The century ride sounds pretty cool. Maybe I can work it into my schedule this year. I'm also thinking of doing the Sea Otter Classic Fondo or Tierra Bella in April. If I really get adventurous, I might do the California Death Ride in July. Hope your riding is going well!

Steve I was going to do the 100K ride last year but had my accident. I serve on the event committee for the ride so I can tell you all about it. The riders really like it and the 100K was their favorite, so we added a century. Here are the maps for the two long rides:

100 Mile Tour: MAP: http://www.mapmyride.com/workout/509620529OOOPPPS, just tried this and it isn't working. I will have someone fix it.

100k Tour: This route takes riders through the backroads of Morgan Hill, San Martin and Gilroy, and provides 3378 ft. of climbing. Rest stop are spaced approximately every 15 miles. MAP: http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1335425/embedThis link does work.

Isn't Tierra Bella put on by ACTC? I was thinking about joining their club just for another source of group rides. Do you know much about them?

Edited by Stuartap 2014-03-20 1:32 PM

2014-03-20 6:21 PM
in reply to: #4915043

User image

North Augusta, South Carolina
Randy...the B12 was recommended by the P.T. Apparently, there are connections between b12 and reduction of inflammation and pain caused by bursitis. Most research used injectable, but I will see if I can get any reduction of symptoms with sublingual spray.
2014-03-20 6:27 PM
in reply to: #4968713

User image

Funny thing...I mentioned the bursitis and b12 to Bill, our weekday running coach who informally adopted a group of 40-50something tri girls over the winter. Bill is a retired physician. He said, "You want to know what physicians think of B12?"

"The young doctor scoffs at the idea of B12 and makes other, more medically sound suggestions. The middle aged doctor pretends to ignore the comment about B12. The older doctor smiles because he takes it, too."
2014-03-20 6:33 PM
in reply to: glfprncs

User image

Master
South Alabama

Originally posted by glfprncs Funny thing...I mentioned the bursitis and b12 to Bill, our weekday running coach who informally adopted a group of 40-50something tri girls over the winter. Bill is a retired physician. He said, "You want to know what physicians think of B12?" "The young doctor scoffs at the idea of B12 and makes other, more medically sound suggestions. The middle aged doctor pretends to ignore the comment about B12. The older doctor smiles because he takes it, too."

Thanks Nancy...may have to give it a go. Certainly couldn't hurt.

2014-03-20 7:30 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by glfprncs

Funny thing...I mentioned the bursitis and b12 to Bill, our weekday running coach who informally adopted a group of 40-50something tri girls over the winter. Bill is a retired physician. He said, "You want to know what physicians think of B12?"

"The young doctor scoffs at the idea of B12 and makes other, more medically sound suggestions. The middle aged doctor pretends to ignore the comment about B12. The older doctor smiles because he takes it, too."

My grandmother has been getting b12 shots
2014-03-20 7:37 PM

User image

Jason...I thought of you (and the TTT in Ohio) when I read this.

What do you feel like after an ultra endurance race? "I guess it feels like getting drunk after being beaten with a baseball bat but still managing to hang on to your wallet". -Andy Bruner (3/19/2014)

Andy Bruner is a bit of a running god in the Augusta area. He ran a 24-hour track race (round and round and round) last Saturday and went 101 miles. This Saturday he's running a 50K and on Sunday the Atlanta marathon. He's a Ph.D. student at the local university and is completing his dissertation on the addictive personalities of endurance athletes. As a recovering alchoholic, he says he replaced booze with running.

2014-03-20 8:27 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Originally posted by glfprncs

Jason...I thought of you (and the TTT in Ohio) when I read this.

What do you feel like after an ultra endurance race? "I guess it feels like getting drunk after being beaten with a baseball bat but still managing to hang on to your wallet". -Andy Bruner (3/19/2014)

Andy Bruner is a bit of a running god in the Augusta area. He ran a 24-hour track race (round and round and round) last Saturday and went 101 miles. This Saturday he's running a 50K and on Sunday the Atlanta marathon. He's a Ph.D. student at the local university and is completing his dissertation on the addictive personalities of endurance athletes. As a recovering alchoholic, he says he replaced booze with running.

Funny you should say that. I definitely have an addictive, obsessive-compulsive type personality. I recognize it and my wife recognizes it. For the most part I have always found positive things to channel my energies (demons if you want) in to. Heck, when I went to med school I was all in and studied more than is probably normal, even for a med student. So I guess that some positives have emerged over the years.

I have offered to quit triathlon in the past when it has gotten really intense and my wife has gotten grouchy. Her response is that I would just find something else, that I am not a sit-around person and that at least this "addiction" has quite a few redeeming qualities. Not sure if I should be insulted or flattered. Whatever I should be, I am grateful to have stumbled upon something that I enjoy and that (probably) makes me healthier in the end.
2014-03-20 8:48 PM

User image

Master

Nancy- a few years ago, I had Epstein Barr and B-12 shots were one of the things that I used  to get my energy levels back to normal. I gave myself shots twice a week for a few months. I haven't used B12 since then except in OTC pill form. I don't know if the B12 was effective or not. I was also taking a lot of vitamins, resting and not exercising at that time. So it could have been a combination of everything put together or just the B12??

It can't hurt to try it along with other things.

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-20 8:51 PM
2014-03-21 7:11 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Good Morning Gang.  Made it home from Kauai last night.  Today's a big day, sports med doc and MRI.  By tonight, I'll know the damage (nice to have a friend who is a radiologist read your stuff), but will have to wait until Monday when I see an ortho to find out the fix.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

2014-03-21 8:07 AM
in reply to: SSMinnow

User image

Master
South Alabama

Suzy-hoping you get good news!

Only workout of the day, a swim or an ugly version of a swim, done! Busy day at work then a race specific workout tomorrow. After the bike warm up I will do 4 sets of 8 minutes @265+ watts on the bike followed by a quick transition and a race pace 1/2 mile run. My coach seems to use these a good bit in the weeks leading into a race. Usually the bike watts are a little higher than what I will target in the race. Tough workout but gets me mentally prepared for working hard on the bike, focusing on quick transitions and running off the bike. Ideally this would be done jumping off trainer and onto a treadmill but I need to get some road time on the bike so I'll set up in a parking lot next to the quiet road where I ride a good bit. For someone unfamiliar with triathlons I'm sure it would be a good laugh to see this old guy running and riding back and forth with a quick stop in between. Weather looks good.

2014-03-21 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by SSMinnow

Good Morning Gang.  Made it home from Kauai last night.  Today's a big day, sports med doc and MRI.  By tonight, I'll know the damage (nice to have a friend who is a radiologist read your stuff), but will have to wait until Monday when I see an ortho to find out the fix.  Keep your fingers crossed for me.

Fingers crossed, hoping for good news!

I went to my LRS last night and tried on a bunch of different shoes: Asics, Brooks, Pearl izumi, Adidas. It had been awhile since I tried anything other than my Asics, and I ended up going with the new Brooks Ravenna's. They're comfortable, but not too soft. I can still feel a little twinge in my foot, but it's feeling much better than earlier this week. I biked 1 1/2 hours last night and there was no discomfort at all, well, at least in the foot. I was doing a TrainerRoad workout, and just felt like I was struggling to hold my power (3x20 min intervals of around 85% of FTP). I compared to the last time I did that workout, and was disappointed that my TSS seemed lower, until I realized that last night's workout was at my new Threshold, which is considerably higher, so I felt a lot better.

I've got my first Tri of the season this Sunday, although they're now calling for a 40% chance of thunderstorms. *Sigh* This same race was canceled last year bc of thunderstorms, so here we go again.

I'm optimistic about the foot bc it's so early in the season. I've got this one race, and then a relay race next weekend. Worst case scenario, I take off running for a little while, and I can still bike and swim to keep my overall fitness level up. No reason to freak out...I keep reminding myself!

2014-03-21 9:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley

Suzy nothing but positive thoughts for you. All fingers and all toes crossed!
2014-03-21 9:38 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Suzy - good luck at the Doc!

Jamie - good luck this weekend!

PT for me today - so no run or swim.

Have a good day!

Ps - I emailed Mike the coach you guys recommended - I'm on my way!!!
2014-03-21 8:09 PM

User image

Master

Suzy- any news yet? Praying that nothing major is wrong with your knee.

Jamie-You could always do your own AB at the race or walk instead of running. How important is the sprint this weekend in your overall plan for the year? 

Randee- how was PT? Just a few more days until your new bike is home! 

I have a nice weekend of workouts on tap. Things are starting to slow down with Galveston coming up in a few weeks. Hope everyone has a great weekend. 

Edited by Catwoman 2014-03-21 8:10 PM
2014-03-22 7:11 AM
in reply to: Catwoman

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!

Had a glass (or two) of wine and had a good cry (and I never cry) last night.  Boston is definitely out.  Jason you and your ortho friend were correct, I have a small anterior horn flap tear in the underside of the lateral meniscus.   I also have a Baker's Cyst, but asymptomatic.  I suppose if I am looking for a good piece of news, I have minimal signs of cartilage wear, especially for a 50 year old so no osteoarthritis. Makes sense since I've never had knee issues in the 10+ years I've been running/active.  Next step is seeing the ortho on Monday.  It's going to be a painfully long weekend of waiting for me.

Go Badgers!  Beat the Ducks.

2014-03-22 7:53 AM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan

Had a glass (or two) of wine and had a good cry (and I never cry) last night.  Boston is definitely out.  Jason you and your ortho friend were correct, I have a small anterior horn flap tear in the underside of the lateral meniscus.   I also have a Baker's Cyst, but asymptomatic.  I suppose if I am looking for a good piece of news, I have minimal signs of cartilage wear, especially for a 50 year old so no osteoarthritis. Makes sense since I've never had knee issues in the 10+ years I've been running/active.  Next step is seeing the ortho on Monday.  It's going to be a painfully long weekend of waiting for me.

Suzy, I've never been so unhappy to be right.

Keep us posted on what your ortho wants to do.

Good news about the cartilage wear. I've been telling people for years that I think running is actually good for your knees.

I've got the Badgers in my final four so i will be rooting right along with you.

2014-03-22 8:05 AM

User image

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Suzy-

I am very sorry to hear your news. I was certainly hopeful that you would not join the number of us in this group that have had meniscus issues. That is very good news that you injury is not accompanied by the osteoarthritis issue though as well. I know it's hard right now but try to focus on the positive part of that news.

2014-03-22 9:11 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

So sorry Suzy.

Take a week to wallow and then dust yourself off and charge forward with everything you've got to recover! You're a champ and soon this will be a distant memory!
2014-03-22 9:18 AM

User image

Suzy...I'm so disappointed for you. You're allowed to have a pity party for a day or two, but then move forward to recovering and getting back at what you love to do.

Big weekend ahead for me...I had an AWFUL day with my 5th and 6th period classes of 8th graders on Friday (apathy, whining, refusal, mean comments to one another, just pain being punks), had a dream about it last night, began to cry in my dream, and woke up a sobbing mess. I need to exorcise those demons rather quickly. I figure huge amounts of running and cycling will put it behind me.
2014-03-22 9:42 AM

User image

New user
New Hampshire
Suzy- Sorry to hear the bad news. Here's wishing you a speedy recovery.

Nancy- Hats off to you. I wouldn't be able to deal with all those kids, especially at that age. I say you should make them run laps.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Slornow and Wannabefaster's Winter Group version 3-CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 75

RELATED POSTS

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 22, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Lack of food and fluids can take the fun out of your outdoor activities. These tips can help you fuel wisely for cold weather workouts.

date : December 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Triathletes weigh in on making the most of winter training
date : January 27, 2011
author : Mark Sunderland
The no-excuses guide to riding outdoors in snow, wind, ice and darkness. Bring it on!

date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.
date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.