Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 103

2011-01-11 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2776397

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Subject: RE: chichitao's group - FULL!
I am not having a hard time getting up this year to train.  When I'm not training, I hate getting out of bed, though.  I think that it really helps that I have people that I am going to train with.  I don't have the motivation to get up for work, though.  That much is for sure.

The registering bikes thing...  It hasn't been an issue anywhere that I have lived.  It is usually an option to "register" it with the local police, in case it gets stolen and recovered, you can prove that it is yours.  Never been mandated, though...

I need your guys opinions...  I have to figure out what I want to do this year.  I haven't set up my race plan yet, with the exception of a few races (30k run, half marathon and 1 sprint).  I am tossing up the idea of doing the 70.3 in Muskoka (up here in Canada).  It's a hilly course for both the bike and the run, which are not my strengths, but in talking to my friend, he says that I would probably be ready for it, if I don't race too much over the summer.  Finances would probably dictate how much I race.  What are your guys' thoughts about doing 1 big race vs. a bunch of smaller ones?

2011-01-11 1:56 PM
in reply to: #3292791

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2011-01-11 11:12 AM Do any of your states require you to register your bike with them?  An assemblywoman has just proposed a bill in NJ that will require all bikes to be registered, pay an annual fee, and have a license plate.

uh oh, getting on my soap box....

We've had some talk about it up here in  BC, Canada.  I'm all for it, cyclists should contribute to the creation and upkeep of all the bike lanes as well as require insurance, just as motorists pay taxes/licenses to maintain the roads and insurance fees for accidents. 

I don't know how it is in the USA, but I also would like to see stricter enforcement of traffic laws when it comes to cyclists, so many ride without helmets, which are required by law here, and never get a ticket, and they never obey traffic signs or rules.  These cyclist are the ones that create ill will on our roads and make it more dangerous for those of us who adhere to the laws.  Why have laws if you aren't going to enforce them?

I remember as a child, we had to register our bikes with the city each year, and you would get a sticker to put on your bike, I think there was a small fee for the year.  They did away with the program, but I don't know why.

Phew, off my soap box now:-D
2011-01-11 3:04 PM
in reply to: #3292900

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
LockOut - 2011-01-11 1:53 PM I am not having a hard time getting up this year to train.  When I'm not training, I hate getting out of bed, though.  I think that it really helps that I have people that I am going to train with.  I don't have the motivation to get up for work, though.  That much is for sure.

The registering bikes thing...  It hasn't been an issue anywhere that I have lived.  It is usually an option to "register" it with the local police, in case it gets stolen and recovered, you can prove that it is yours.  Never been mandated, though...

I need your guys opinions...  I have to figure out what I want to do this year.  I haven't set up my race plan yet, with the exception of a few races (30k run, half marathon and 1 sprint).  I am tossing up the idea of doing the 70.3 in Muskoka (up here in Canada).  It's a hilly course for both the bike and the run, which are not my strengths, but in talking to my friend, he says that I would probably be ready for it, if I don't race too much over the summer.  Finances would probably dictate how much I race.  What are your guys' thoughts about doing 1 big race vs. a bunch of smaller ones?

My answer is:  go with your gut!  What do you think is better for you?  I know it's a bad answer, but would you be happier doing one big race or all the others?  Me personally, I like having more to do than less, so I would go with more events.  BUT, Ryan is the opposite.  I'm doing 4-5 races this year, and he's only doing like 2-3.  The HIM could be lots of fun!  But will you be less motivated if you have fewer events to train for?
2011-01-11 3:25 PM
in reply to: #3292900

User image

Expert
South Jersey
LockOut - 2011-01-11 1:53 PM I am not having a hard time getting up this year to train.  When I'm not training, I hate getting out of bed, though.  I think that it really helps that I have people that I am going to train with.  I don't have the motivation to get up for work, though.  That much is for sure.

I think if I were getting up a little later to train, I might be better.  Or if I could get up, get moving, and then do whatever I have planned.  My alarm goes off at 4:30 and I get dressed and start right away.  I have been doing this since July and no problems.  Sure every now and then I would go back to sleep but not every morning like the past few weeks. 
2011-01-11 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3293117

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Mrschach - 2011-01-11 4:25 PM

I think if I were getting up a little later to train, I might be better.  Or if I could get up, get moving, and then do whatever I have planned.  My alarm goes off at 4:30 and I get dressed and start right away.  I have been doing this since July and no problems.  Sure every now and then I would go back to sleep but not every morning like the past few weeks. 

Ahhh, yes, I definitely don't get right into it.  I have in the past gotten up, put on clothes and went down to work out, but now, I get out of bed, have coffee (already made, thank you presetting the coffee maker), have breakfast, make lunch, and drive up to my gym.  It helps a TON to get a bit of time in between waking up and working out.  I wake up at around 5, and I don't usually get on my bike until around 6:20 or so. 
2011-01-12 8:49 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
It is time for me to HTFU!  I will do at least one of my runs outside every week.  I hate this cold but it is time.  My first winter outside run will be Saturday morning.

2011-01-12 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3294273

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2011-01-12 8:49 AM It is time for me to HTFU!  I will do at least one of my runs outside every week.  I hate this cold but it is time.  My first winter outside run will be Saturday morning.

I'm holding you to this!  Good luck!
2011-01-12 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3294313

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
SoccerGK - 2011-01-12 10:04 AM
Mrschach - 2011-01-12 8:49 AM It is time for me to HTFU!  I will do at least one of my runs outside every week.  I hate this cold but it is time.  My first winter outside run will be Saturday morning.

We all are.  You can do it!  Just layer properly.  A good way to gauge is to stand outside for a minute or two in what you are planning on wearing.  If you are on the chilly side of comfortable, you are probably dressed well.  I have a tendency to not wear enough, and it's not pleasant.  Remember, you can always undress out on the route.  Can't go the other way! 
2011-01-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3294313

User image

Expert
South Jersey
SoccerGK - 2011-01-12 9:04 AM

And that is exactly why I posted it here.  I am dreading everything about it but it needs to be done.  I said that I would never do a winter marathon anywhere because I don't want to do 20 mile runs in the middle of December here.  That needs to change.  I have a small feeling I might be doing something next January in Disney.  I really need to think about it because I put my name in the NYC lottery and that is the beginning of November.  I said if I don't get in there, I will do Philly again.  Philly and Disney are too close to do both.  A friend just did Disney as her first but was injured so she is kinda bummed about her results and performance.  I know she has some unfinished business there and she will go back next year and I might do it with her.  If that is the case, I need to get over my wimpiness of running outside in the winter!
2011-01-12 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
Jsut saw this quote today and I think it applies to both the winter running and the early am workouts:

Now if you are going to win any battle you have to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired morning, noon, and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired. Gen. George S. Patton. 1912 Olympian

This is so true.  Coming from someone who does most of my workouts in the morning, here is a littel tip - First thing I do is go into my bathroom, becasue it is the brightest room, and turn the lights on FULL.  I have heard that this is a signal to your body to get your up and get going.  It always works for me!

Also kind of going with what Pete said about layering - my general rule of thumb is dress like it is 20 degrees warmer.

2011-01-12 9:25 AM
in reply to: #3294366

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
On the topic of quotes...  my friend lives by the motto "Running is the easy part. Getting out of bed is hard."  Learn to get out of bed, and then just run.

And as Barney Stinson from How I Met Your Mother says, "You don't train for a marathon.  Here's what you do.  Step 1:  Start running.  There is no step 2."  Tongue out 

2011-01-12 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3292791

User image

Expert
I will take that any day instead of the 66% Income Tax increase I just got hit with today thanks to (and I've never gotten political here before Laughing) the CRAZY LIBERAL DEMOCRATS who have ruined this state.  This is going to cost me almost $2000 this year.  Not sure what I am going to do or what we need to cut to make ends meet but between my health care rising costs, pay cuts at work and now this I have been hit with over $700/month cut out of my pay.  I want to punch someone in the face!!!!!
Political talk is over.

Not sure how this is going to affect my races as I haven't registered for anything yet.  Time to crunch the budget.

Mrschach - 2011-01-11 1:12 PM Do any of your states require you to register your bike with them?  An assemblywoman has just proposed a bill in NJ that will require all bikes to be registered, pay an annual fee, and have a license plate.
2011-01-12 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3294328

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2011-01-12 7:07 AM
SoccerGK - 2011-01-12 9:04 AM

And that is exactly why I posted it here.  I am dreading everything about it but it needs to be done.  I said that I would never do a winter marathon anywhere because I don't want to do 20 mile runs in the middle of December here.  That needs to change.  I have a small feeling I might be doing something next January in Disney.  I really need to think about it because I put my name in the NYC lottery and that is the beginning of November.  I said if I don't get in there, I will do Philly again.  Philly and Disney are too close to do both.  A friend just did Disney as her first but was injured so she is kinda bummed about her results and performance.  I know she has some unfinished business there and she will go back next year and I might do it with her.  If that is the case, I need to get over my wimpiness of running outside in the winter!

Running in cold weather is an adjustment, but you will quickly find out how much or how little gear to wear.  the 3 pieces of gear I find most usefull are a good pair of sub-zero tights to keep your leg warm, a wicking hat, that covers the ears, and a good pair of gloves.  Your upper body will warm up pretty fast and I often just run in a mid layer long sleeved shirt and my vest.  It's usually hard to start, but once you are warmed up it does get better. 

I'd like to do one of the Disney runs someday, a couple of my friends just did Goofy last weekend, crazy! or maybe not so crazy:-) and I think my husband has been entering the NYC lottery the last couple of years...maybe I will too.
2011-01-12 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
That was going to be my next question.  I have the tights and hat.  I will have to make a run to the store for gloves.
2011-01-12 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Yes, gloves are a must.  Good ones.  I had what I thought were good gloves, but they do NOT do the job.  My fingers (tips especially) get really cold on longer runs on days that it is cold out.

I have also heard (tried once, but found it to be unnecessary as it wasn't super cold out) that putting vasoline on exposed skin (face) can help with biting cold and wind.  I tried it, like I said, but it wasn't cold enough to really need it.  Haven't found the occasion to try it again.  When I do, I'll let you guys know.  Apparently, though, it is not to be used when it is super sunny out, as it can enhance the sun's rays and help you burn.  Just a possible idea of something to look in to   
2011-01-12 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Any recommendations on gloves?

2011-01-12 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Ryan and I both have Nike Pro running tights that are fleece-lined, and we swear by them.  My legs are never cold on winter runs, and I'm a big sissy.  I agree on the good hat and gloves, too, but if you can't find good gloves, it helps a ton if you just alter your running form a bit and drop your hands below your elbows so that more blood gets to your hands.  I also have a Nike Element running hoodie that has been my saving grace on my last 2 outdoor runs.  Super warm, really good at wicking.  I'm turning into a Nike fiend, in case you haven't noticed.  I LOVE their running gear.

Like I said, I'm a big sissy when it comes to working out in the cold, so if I can do it, you surely can!
2011-01-12 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3294515

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2011-01-12 10:01 AM Any recommendations on gloves?

http://www.pearlizumi.com/publish/content/pi_2010/us/en/index/products/men/run/accessories/0.-productCode-8796.html

I have those ^^^ and they're very warm.  Ryan likes them better than his thick mitts, too.  His hands always get super cold in the winter, so he borrows them from me lots. 

There are LOTS of good gloves though.  If there's a Dick's Sporting Goods nearby, you should go there and see which you like the most.  They always have plenty!
2011-01-12 10:18 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey

I am already kicking myself for telling you guys I am running outside on Saturday.  It is supposed to be 32 degrees here.

2011-01-12 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3294586

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Mrschach - 2011-01-12 11:18 AM

I am already kicking myself for telling you guys I am running outside on Saturday.  It is supposed to be 32 degrees here.

Balmy!  Enjoy the warmth   
2011-01-12 10:24 AM
in reply to: #3294515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2011-01-12 8:01 AM Any recommendations on gloves?

I'm a fan of these: http://www.sugoi.com/usa/eng/Products/Run/Women/Accessories/Details/1487-91002U.610-Firewall-LT-Glove

they are wind resistant and have a nice soft thumb fabric for wiping the nose.

But if it's a day where I think I might just need the gloves to warm up, I'll just use some of those cheap 3 pair for $3 gloves you can get at wallmart, so I don't worry about losing them.

2011-01-12 10:35 AM
in reply to: #3294586

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
Mrschach - 2011-01-12 10:18 AM

I would LOVE a 32 degree day!  When I ran Saturday, it was like -4.  Enjoy!
2011-01-12 11:51 AM
in reply to: #3294381

User image

Expert
Portland, OR
tmoran80 - 2011-01-12 9:26 AM I will take that any day instead of the 66% Income Tax increase I just got hit with today thanks to (and I've never gotten political here before Laughing) the CRAZY LIBERAL DEMOCRATS who have ruined this state.  This is going to cost me almost $2000 this year.  Not sure what I am going to do or what we need to cut to make ends meet but between my health care rising costs, pay cuts at work and now this I have been hit with over $700/month cut out of my pay.  I want to punch someone in the face!!!!!
Political talk is over.

Not sure how this is going to affect my races as I haven't registered for anything yet.  Time to crunch the budget.

Mrschach - 2011-01-11 1:12 PM Do any of your states require you to register your bike with them?  An assemblywoman has just proposed a bill in NJ that will require all bikes to be registered, pay an annual fee, and have a license plate.

Being from Springfield, I know how you feel!  Trust me.  Now, I'm neither Democrat or Republican, I vote for whomever will be better.  But I can't figure out for the life of me why Cook County keeps putting Dems in as governor!  Seriously, don't they see the pattern?  My brother actually worked on Brady's campaign, and he was devastated that Brady didn't get voted in.  Ryan, Blago, Quinn...it really doesn't get any worse than that in politics.  And Springfield hated Blago in a way that can never be described, after he snubbed us and the governors' mansion to live in Cook County since our schools weren't good enough for his kids.  HA.  And then had the taxpayers pay for him to jet to Springfield every single day! *grumble*

Ok, now I'm done with my political rant, too!  And I don't even live there anymore!  Laughing

2011-01-12 12:06 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Wow, ya'll have been super busy on here and political to boot!  

When I used to run (Cry) the hat and gloves were a must.  For gloves I ended up buying a pair of insulated and wind resistant bike gloves.  That way I can use them for running or biking and they work great.  Can't remember the brand off hand but I think it was Pearl Izumi. 

And Tim, I saw that article on the news this morning and was going to ask you about it.  That is crappy.  Come to Texas!  The weather is nicer and we don't have a state income tax.  Plus Austin is the "live music capital of the world" and your band would fit right in!    I read another article that said we were in the top 10 of a list of states with the lowest overall tax burden.  Not sure how much longer that will last though as we have a $27 billion budget shortfall this session.  So far they have only talked about cutting spending and not raising taxes.  We'll see.
2011-01-12 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran

You guys are all awesome for running outside.  I just can't bring my self to do it! 

Lost 3 lbs this week!!!  Woot...Woot!  I joined WW again and am loving the new plan. 

Running has been feeling great!  Now trying to fit some biking and swimming in at the gym. 

Meggan-Good luck w/the cold run!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » chichitao's group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 103