BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2013-04-12 6:33 AM
in reply to: #4542655

User image

New user
Subject: RE: kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED
Happy Friday everyone! I did another 1 mile timed swim this morning, and took 1:24 off my time from 6 weeks ago! I finished in 31:20, and am determined to get under 30 minutes by the end of July. I apparently am very consistent with my pace, even though I thought I was getting faster through each 500, I really wasn't. It probably just felt that way as my fatigue grew. So now I just have to figure out how to come out of my comfort zone pace to pick it up a bit. I have a challenge--probably mostly mental--with the breathing thing. If I start working harder and begin gasping for breath, I tend to back off. But in reality I could probably keep pushing it, I just have a phobia of not being able to get that next breath fast enough.

But I am happy with my progress. Bike/run this week have been tough on the legs, but good. Although I'm still tired (I guess that will be a permanent state of being for a while :-)), I'm definitely not drained of energy like I was last week.

Have a fantastic weekend everyone!

2013-04-12 7:56 AM
in reply to: #4697324

User image

Veteran

I have a question though...
when riding the bike in trainers i always tried to keep my heels down so feet on the pedals would tend to be parallel with the ground. I don't know why, but it worked for riding horses. I've been watching challenge wanneka and the wtu round at Auckland and I've noticed that frequently when on the bike the athletes toes tend to be pointing down to the ground more often or not. Is this a deliberate thing - do you get more power that way or does it just happen?

Jennifer

Toes pointing down is supposed to be more efficient. As I understand it, it shortens the travel of the leg and allows for a quicker cadence. I have been doing a lot of work on my cadence this year and pointing the toes helps a bunch vs dropping the heel...
2013-04-12 8:40 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Jennifer,

you'r going to get some differing opinions on the toes.  My first fitter swore by a flat foot on the bottom of the pedal stroke.  It makes mathmatical sense that a flat foot geometrically alligns your legs to efficiently use all the muscle groups in your legs throughout the entire pedal stroke, and pointing your toes down would engage less muscle groups and engage more in the downstroke of the the pedalling circle.  But I think you have to take into account what is natural for certain people.  If you have the flexibility to be flat that's probably best, but if you naturally point your toes down some that works too.  Obviously, the key is to be smooth through the entire pedal stroke to deliver smoth and consistent power.   That is what you should focus on IMO.

2013-04-12 1:20 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Good advice so far on the pedal stroke.  I try to keep mine relatively flat with maybe a slight toes down on the top and start of the down stroke. 
2013-04-12 1:21 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

TGIF!!!

Heading west tomorrow to hopefully better weather than here.  I was quickly spoiled while in DC this week! 

Train well this weekend folks!!

Anyone racing?

2013-04-12 3:21 PM
in reply to: #4698096

User image

Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5skAkmUE4E

Here is a little video from Graeme on pedal stroke... I have used a lot of his tips to improve technique.

2013-04-12 4:28 PM
in reply to: #4698096

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-04-12 2:21 PM

TGIF!!!

Heading west tomorrow to hopefully better weather than here.  I was quickly spoiled while in DC this week! 

Train well this weekend folks!!

Anyone racing?

Have a good trip Ken. I'm racing a short duathlon on Sunday. Then my last long run on Monday before tapering for the marathon.
2013-04-14 7:54 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Good luck and have fun at your Duathlon today!!

Made my way safely west, going to run a little this morning and try and find a pool to swim in. 

Enjoy your Sunday!!

2013-04-14 6:01 PM
in reply to: #4699417

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY

Had a good race today at the sprint du.  Had my fastest bike split in a race, but it was only 10 miles.  It's nice to be moving up in the placings (still not close to the podium or anything).  I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.  I have one more du before tri season starts.  Once they replace that first run with a swim I'll see my placings drop off a small cliff Surprised

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I had to extend this training week into Monday, hoping to sqeeze in my long run before work tomorrow.

2013-04-15 4:56 AM
in reply to: #4698304

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
ramiedd - 2013-04-12 9:21 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5skAkmUE4E

Here is a little video from Graeme on pedal stroke... I have used a lot of his tips to improve technique.

That's a great video - thanks. I have been striving to do it all wrong. I should have watched this before I went out on my bike this morning. But I did achieve a ride on my on with cleats and not falling off - which is an achievement I think.
2013-04-15 5:01 AM
in reply to: #4699861

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
Well done on the duathlon Bill. I am doing one next weekend. Its a novice race - v small distances. I signed up to encourage a friend who was interested but she now says her hip hurts too much to compete. However, should I take my old mountain bike (as planned) or my road bike and then look like a numpty at the back and doing all that shoe changing stuff? Decisions decisions.

Jennifer

2013-04-15 9:23 AM

User image

New user
Great job on your duathlon, Bill, and good luck with your last long run and marathon taper! Remember to trust your training. :-)

I had my first week of "build" period for my plan last week, and although it wasn't that much more volume or intensity than I've been doing, my legs were toast by the end of the week! I think because I have quite a few days with evening bike/run then morning bike or run (or both), and I'm not quite recovered in the morning. Yesterday I did a bike ride with my triathlon group on the course for a sprint triathlon next month. It's in Ormond Beach, FL (just north of Daytona) and the bike course is just beautiful. Since the course is only 16 miles, we headed back out for an additional 22 mile loop that is very scenic, and on a Sunday morning, traffic was low. I was supposed to get in 2 1/2 hours but the wind had picked up and when we got back to the parking lot at 2hr 7 min, I didn't have the motivation to head back out! But I did follow it with a 2 mile run over the big bridge that is part of the sprint tri, so that was a good ending to the workout.

I hope everyone has a successful week of training! I have a half ironman this coming Sunday, and because I'm not quite race-ready for it, I'll be using it as a training race to test some nutrition strategies. Now I just have to figure out what that strategy is!
2013-04-15 9:23 AM

User image

Thanks for the video link, Eddie.  Who knew there was all that technique for the bike???  I thought my technique was good if I remembered to unclip at the stoplights. So much to learn...

Do any of you get regular massages during training?  I had my first "deep tissue" massage on Friday, and while it is nice to have symmetrical shoulders again, it felt like being beaten with a rolling pin.  I was also too sore to train very effectively the next day.  I might try it again, but only on  a rest week. 

Finally, can someone explain what that yellow mesh thing for my aero water bottle is supposed to be for?

As always, thanks.

Jaime

2013-04-15 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4700478

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
RunningJoke - 2013-04-15 9:23 AM

Thanks for the video link, Eddie.  Who knew there was all that technique for the bike???  I thought my technique was good if I remembered to unclip at the stoplights. So much to learn...

Do any of you get regular massages during training?  I had my first "deep tissue" massage on Friday, and while it is nice to have symmetrical shoulders again, it felt like being beaten with a rolling pin.  I was also too sore to train very effectively the next day.  I might try it again, but only on  a rest week. 

Finally, can someone explain what that yellow mesh thing for my aero water bottle is supposed to be for?

As always, thanks.

Jaime

I'd love to get a massage regularly!  Unfortunately, cost and time are against me on that one.   I do use a foam roller and lacrosse ball regularly to get all those knots out and help keep them out.  My coach works in the foam rolling into my Kettlebell warm up.

The yellow mesh and sponge thing is to keep the liquid from splashing when you hit bumps or it is otherwise sloshing around.

2013-04-15 2:15 PM
in reply to: #4700175

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

jennifer65 - 2013-04-15 6:01 AM Well done on the duathlon Bill. I am doing one next weekend. Its a novice race - v small distances. I signed up to encourage a friend who was interested but she now says her hip hurts too much to compete. However, should I take my old mountain bike (as planned) or my road bike and then look like a numpty at the back and doing all that shoe changing stuff? Decisions decisions. Jennifer

Practice, practice, practice Jennifer!  In the end, you should be quicker changing shoes and using your road bike then riding a mountain bike on the road. 

Best of luck with your race though!

2013-04-15 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4699861

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
bdenehy - 2013-04-14 7:01 PM

Had a good race today at the sprint du.  Had my fastest bike split in a race, but it was only 10 miles.  It's nice to be moving up in the placings (still not close to the podium or anything).  I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts.  I have one more du before tri season starts.  Once they replace that first run with a swim I'll see my placings drop off a small cliff Surprised

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I had to extend this training week into Monday, hoping to sqeeze in my long run before work tomorrow.

Good job with the race Bill! I hope your long run goes (went) well today!

2013-04-15 2:19 PM
in reply to: #4700477

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

rquinn23 - 2013-04-15 10:23 AM Great job on your duathlon, Bill, and good luck with your last long run and marathon taper! Remember to trust your training. :-) I had my first week of "build" period for my plan last week, and although it wasn't that much more volume or intensity than I've been doing, my legs were toast by the end of the week! I think because I have quite a few days with evening bike/run then morning bike or run (or both), and I'm not quite recovered in the morning. Yesterday I did a bike ride with my triathlon group on the course for a sprint triathlon next month. It's in Ormond Beach, FL (just north of Daytona) and the bike course is just beautiful. Since the course is only 16 miles, we headed back out for an additional 22 mile loop that is very scenic, and on a Sunday morning, traffic was low. I was supposed to get in 2 1/2 hours but the wind had picked up and when we got back to the parking lot at 2hr 7 min, I didn't have the motivation to head back out! But I did follow it with a 2 mile run over the big bridge that is part of the sprint tri, so that was a good ending to the workout. I hope everyone has a successful week of training! I have a half ironman this coming Sunday, and because I'm not quite race-ready for it, I'll be using it as a training race to test some nutrition strategies. Now I just have to figure out what that strategy is!

Good training Becky!!  Sounds like a good use of the HIM this weekend.  Good luck!

2013-04-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: #4700478

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
RunningJoke - 2013-04-15 10:23 AM

As always, thanks.

Jaime

I have gotten a couple of massages in the past and should more often.  Like Brian said, time and cost.  Plus my massage therapist became my strength trainer and since she likes that better she dropped her massage practice. The massage is good for you, but you do have to time it around your training as it does take some recovery if they do it right.

As Brian mentioned, the yellow thing is to keep the water from splashing, but it also allows you to refill through it. 

2013-04-15 2:24 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
I am sick to my stomach thinking about what is going on at the Boston Marathon, some places you shouldn't have to worry about things like this.  Prayers to those impacted by this despicable action.
2013-04-15 2:36 PM
in reply to: #4701180

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il

kenj - 2013-04-15 2:24 PM I am sick to my stomach thinking about what is going on at the Boston Marathon, some places you shouldn't have to worry about things like this.  Prayers to those impacted by this despicable action.

watching on pins and needles!  Just awful!

2013-04-15 8:11 PM
in reply to: #4701180

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
kenj - 2013-04-15 3:24 PMI am sick to my stomach thinking about what is going on at the Boston Marathon, some places you shouldn't have to worry about things like this.  Prayers to those impacted by this despicable action.

Sick about is how I feel too. not shocked nor surprised, just sick and sad...

2013-04-16 9:01 AM
in reply to: #4701766

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
bdenehy - 2013-04-15 7:11 PM
kenj - 2013-04-15 3:24 PMI am sick to my stomach thinking about what is going on at the Boston Marathon, some places you shouldn't have to worry about things like this.  Prayers to those impacted by this despicable action.

I feel the same way.   Thank goodness those who were injured had help so close by.

2013-04-16 9:34 AM
in reply to: #4702356

User image

Peekskill, NY
Kath2163 - 2013-04-16 10:01 AM

bdenehy - 2013-04-15 7:11 PM

I feel the same way.   Thank goodness those who were injured had help so close by.

Just numb..... and saddened. This isnt the forum, so I wont go into a rant on this subject, but I am hopeful justice will be had.
2013-04-16 12:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Stockton-on-Tees
I was really shocked to see this on the news last night. It's really sad and I feel for the families of the dead and the injured. It sounds like the police, medics and other emergency services did a fantastic job though.
2013-04-16 3:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

It's just horrible.........

Edited by acv 2013-04-16 3:02 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenj mentor group - back for another great season! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64