BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-07-02 7:25 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
I will get more details today at work. they leave July 28th to swim the channel and yes you can take breaks, I plan on taking ALOT!!!. And yes all the money goes to helpihg kids of color learn to swim. Okay so I know a little but I will get more once I get off my red bike and head into work. the 21st is also on my calendar, anyone else is welcome to join us! Jeanette are you pretty close to us? QUIANA

2007-07-02 10:54 AM
in reply to: #867595

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-07-01 7:50 AM

Casey: they did not post my times before I left yesterday or I could not figure out where they were on the shelter post, is that were you got your times or did you find them on line? On the minneman page it says it will few days but my husband seems to think they were going to be in more than one place online although he did not make note of where. Anyway if you have any leads please let me know.
Good Luck in Chicago.
PS I was not morning sick, I think Abijah wanted to do the tri; The Tummy Monster as we like to call it is already manipulating mommy.
BGT

They had a computer hooked up to a little receipt-paper printer thingie. I was listed on the shelter post too, but they had age group vs novice split up, and even had the novice categories split up into smaller age groups.
2007-07-02 11:25 AM

User image

Minneapolis
I found it online. Thansk for responding.
Are you going to join us for a swim on 7-21?
2007-07-02 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Peeps

I was just wondering that, as the season seems well under way and that we have all been at this for a few months, how about a quick sharing of "Top Tips".

It seems from reading the posts that we have all read, talked and listened to a huge amount of people, magazine articles and books (some of us have even been a bit unfaithful and joined other forums!) and we will have picked up tips that may help other members.

I'll start the ball rolling with one practical and one personal top tip:

1. When using gels, tape the tear off strip firmly onto your frame or handlebars so that you can pull the body, thereby tearing it open, with just one hand.

2. (I take no credit for this). If you suffer from pre race nerves and constantly feel the need to visit the bathroom on race morning try a haemorrhoid suppository the night before. Apparently it dulls the "need" to do a number two!

I will now crawl away in shame!

Any others that anyone else wants to share or shall it just be me and you will remember me for suggesting non medical uses of preperation H tablets!
2007-07-02 12:14 PM
in reply to: #868843

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-07-02 11:25 AM

I found it online. Thansk for responding.
Are you going to join us for a swim on 7-21?

Can't recall anything about it, but it sounds like fun. I don't have a race, and I'm not volunteering at a race that day :-)
2007-07-02 12:17 PM
in reply to: #868904

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Tips that I learned from my first race (that I will use in my next one this weekend).

1). Have a pan or something to rinse off your feet at your transition area. Faster transition because you won't have to worry about getting rocks in your shoes (or other random lake debris!)

2) Get a 5 gallon or larger bucket to sit on (or to step on) so you can put your shoes on easier. I think I wasted a lot of time trying to either balance on one foot or grabbing the wobbly bike holder.

2007-07-02 1:37 PM

User image

Expert
Not sure I have any wisdom to impart, but

1. I took an Exedrin the morning of my tri as the few days before I had been waking up headachy and I didn't want to take a chance. The caffeine in those things makes me very HAPPY and the aspirin makes the blood go up to my poor starving brain (I think so much it gets hungry) and the Tylenol in it helped my poor muscles feel better.

2. I plopped down next to a nice lady and started chatting with her and made her laugh so that I laughed and then my nerves were MUCH better.

3. I'd bring a water bottle that you can just throw away with to the area where you wait to get in the water. I would have drunk the lake water I was so thirsty by the time my group was scheduled to go.

4. I will get one of those race belts next time to put my race number on so I don't have to fiddle with pins just out of the water and sort of shaky.

5. The night before I think I took an Epsom salt bath for my muscles, but I take a lot of those, so I'm not sure. For certain, take one after the tri!
2007-07-02 3:25 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Haha Mark thats a good tip but I would rather have the "nervous poops" than do that.

heres mine

1.  If you take a multi-vitamin (you should), take it with a meal as you will absorb the nutrients better.  Also take it before your training, as it will actually help with recovery.

2.  Always try to have something to eat for right after your training.  The first 30-60mins after a hard workout are the most important to recovery.  If you have to drive home still, bring a bar or shake with good amounts of carbs and vitamins that you can eat. 

2007-07-02 11:33 PM

Veteran
Ontario

Just thought I would share a picture of my ride today before bed.  I ended up doing about 42km of trail riding today and finished near sunset.  Back hurts but I had fun :D

2007-07-03 4:39 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Great photo, Robb. I'm jealous of your bike rides!
2007-07-03 5:00 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Good idea, Mark.

1. Don't fiddle with your stuff on the morning of your race. Clean it, adjust it, inflate it, prepare it, whatever you want to do with it, before you go to bed. I can't tell you how many times I've seen racers inflating their bike tires minutes before heading to the swim start and you hear the "pop" followed by "oh f-ck".

There's a great scene from "The Untouchables" where Andy Garcia keeps checking his pistol and Sean Connery just grumbles, "Is it ready? Then let it alone." If you keep fooling around with something, it will get mucked up.

2. Never pass a porta-john if you have the slightest inkling that you may need it. Believe me, there isn't another one in the mile up ahead, and if there does happen to be one there, the line is 42 people deep.

3. Speaking of portas and the chance that you may need to use one, always keep a pair of shoes on your feet until the last possible moment. Or if you are barefoot and find yourself in one, don't look down.

2007-07-03 7:00 AM

User image

Expert
Rob, you live up there right next to heaven! I'd be jumping in that lake after a long bike! My back always hurts with biking, too. And it's mighty hard to adjust yourself..... You need a chiro woman biking partner

Nice tips everyone!

Jeanette--where are ya? Feeling the post race euphoria let down? It happens. You get all superwoman like right afterward (enjoy that while it lasts) and then you CRASH! And you think maybe you'll get off the couch again some time NEXT June or July. Or maybe not. And the "I could have, should have......." sets in. We are never truly satisfied with our performance, no matter how awesome or how many barriers we had to overcome to accomplish it. Anyway, hope you are okay!

I ate liver and onions and parsely last night for supper. oohh, was that ever a treat! Trying to get over this weak feeling schtuff. I'm also still getting out the dexamethasone from my quadriceps. That's where I had to inject the adrenal medicine for 18 months. Since there was quite a lot of fat there, and that is leaving with the biking, the stored meds get recirculated into my system and I get side effects. Like, I lactate just a little bit. Has happened on and off now since I started the biking/training. And then I feel sort of like fainting, too. Not fun. But I am determined to get the crap out of my body! So, I'm going to try dieting a bit along with the aerobic biking, to burn all residual meds out! And in the meantime I went out to the Amish and bought the Sunrider products that I used to take when trying to wean from the meds. Expensive, expensive. Laid out $300 for about a month's supply. But it is stuff to cleanse my body, and stuff to build it up with the anemia, and a vitashake with protein, and a B vitamin spray that you absorb sublingually for instant absorption. Some anemia is actually a B12 deficiency. And my sister will do some lymphatic drainage for my legs starting today, to see if that helps, too. Gotta do those epsom salt baths more, too. And absolutely push the water to flush, flush, flush! I AM AN IRONWOMAN! I CAN DO IT! I AM A PREDATOR!! HEAR ME ROAR!!!
2007-07-03 12:47 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Hey you midwest peeps here is the information on the swim a thon.
http://www.ywcampls.org/channel/swim-a-thon.asp
Even you are not in the midwest and you can not come swim with us, you can donate money to help kids of oclor learn to swim.
please consider offering your support.
Casey and Pene we should consider finding one more person and making a relay team.
Pene- their is even a kids deal so no need to take the squad to the g-parents house.
I know I will be there, I hope some of my BT team can join me.
Quiana
2007-07-03 12:57 PM

User image

Expert
Quiana, it sounds great! I'll be happy to be part of the relay or whatever! The kids will love it, too! Do I send in something then? It will be nice to finally meet you and Casey!!

Jeanette? Road trip? We wild women could really cook up an interesting weekend!! (well, okay it will be rather tame with kids.....but still.....)
2007-07-03 12:58 PM
in reply to: #870765

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I would love to be on a relay team with you all! That would be awesome!
2007-07-03 1:00 PM
in reply to: #870765

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Oh, and is a mile about 1200m? Just curious :-)

2007-07-03 1:34 PM

User image

Expert
Can I please use flippers???? Pretty please???
2007-07-03 3:54 PM

User image

Minneapolis
a mile in a yard pool which is what I think UT is, is about 1750 yards which is about 35 full laps.
And yes you can use flippers or whatever you want, I plan on using a board too.
go on that link and print a registration card (you can also email Michi- her email address is listed)- as far as I can tell it is free, but we should rasie some pleagde money too.
Also if we want to be a team we have to put the same time on the cards which you will understnad once you see the cards.

I am startng to get as geeked about the Swim as I am for Harry Pottter.
I told my boss I was mad at the YWCA, how dare the plan the event when Harry arrive arives, now I have to get the book at midnight, stay up all night reading take a nap and then go swim two hours.

See ya soon, Quiana BGT

2007-07-03 4:01 PM
in reply to: #871185

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
oh shoot that is the same weekend as Harry Potter!!! Darn you YWCA :-) Oh well.....I'm probably going to be applying for a part time job at one of the locations....I could use the extra money once my roommate leaves to go to Washington DC for grad school
2007-07-03 5:15 PM

User image

Expert
Oh my, was busy there for forever, and just now had time to actually read here. So, what time are we putting down?

Yeah, I'm with you about Harry Potter!!! My kids LOVE that whole thing (because their mother does). I can't put the book down when I get them and I can't read it slowly enough for the kids because I read ahead while I'm reading and then get all mixed up. Plus they ask a million "why's". So, I stay up all night reading too. The kids just know that mommy isn't cooking because she's BUSY and they get all the snacks they want and can rent movies til I'm done! It's a terrible obsession. Worse than triathlons. We can have a book meeting after the swim!! Something else we all have in common They just better have been kidding about Dumbledore's death. I still haven't accepted that yet. Denial phase apparently....
2007-07-04 5:07 AM
in reply to: #871299

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-03 6:15 PM

They just better have been kidding about Dumbledore's death. I still haven't accepted that yet. Denial phase apparently....

Totally agree. How can they kill a great professor?

2007-07-04 9:02 AM

User image

Minneapolis
too say I cried is an understatement. I had to be held and rocked like a newborn infant when they killed Dumbuledor. I am leaving work early to get to the movie next week and the book, I will take down a 8yr old to get to the book.
My question is Snape good or bad?? I am still in the middle. I know this is not mugglenet (my husband turned me out to that site) but anyone have an opinion?
BGT
2007-07-04 9:15 AM

User image

Expert
I know about mugglenet, too!! My Noah turned me on to it. We had to print out every single recipe and go make butterbeer and stuff. My hope is that it is just a ruse and Snape just made it look like he killed Dumbledore (had a protection spell around him or something) so that He Who Shall Not Be Named is caught off guard. It's just hard to imagine that Snape, even with his inferiority complex at not being in the "popular" clique (boy can I relate!), would stoop to such a level as to serve the dark master and kill his boss! But, then, perhaps they couldn't get the actor who plays Dumbledore to sign on again, or maybe they figured he would die like the last actor did? I even bought the kids wands. Micah has Hermione's wand, Noah has Harry's wand, and Mose has Dumbledore's wand. I have the phoenix (fawks) necklace, of course!!

So, Quiana, when do we put down for a starting time? Where do I meet you? Etc......
2007-07-04 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Dumbledore's dead?

(I'm not a quick reader but at least now I can skip a book or two!)
2007-07-04 9:41 AM

User image

Expert
Oops, sorry Mark. I forget that not everyone in the world is a reading fanatic like me.....It's worth reading the whole thing, though. Trust me.

(102_0515.bp.bmp)

(102_0517.bp.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
102_0515.bp.bmp (74KB - 26 downloads)
102_0517.bp.bmp (95KB - 24 downloads)
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72