BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 73

2008-05-23 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1420880

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ
Subject: RE: medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS
Quick flyby to say good evening to everyone and I hope you all have a great weekend.  It has been tough to get settled in...  I hope to get in a good run in the AM and will have time to catch up tomorrow night... Emerson

2008-05-23 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1088860

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Well all my moms and dads, I officially did it.  I just found out a few minutes ago that I got all the credits I needed and passed all my classes and that I officially graduated from college.  It is a huge relief to have all the grades in and also a huge shock to know it is really over.  Wow, I guess I am really in the real world now.  Thanks for all yours support through a very hard and challenging semester!!
2008-05-24 5:43 AM
in reply to: #1422690

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

crea0029 - 2008-05-23 11:36 PM Well all my moms and dads, I officially did it.  I just found out a few minutes ago that I got all the credits I needed and passed all my classes and that I officially graduated from college.  It is a huge relief to have all the grades in and also a huge shock to know it is really over.  Wow, I guess I am really in the real world now.  Thanks for all yours support through a very hard and challenging semester!!

Congratulations and welcome to the next chapter in life...  As scary as it seems, it just keeps getting better!  Emerson

2008-05-24 6:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Welcom back Emerson, I agree with Pam that you were missed very much! I enjoyed the pics of Ireland and Peg. I will let you know if I'm coming that way anytime soon.

Pam - I'm so proud of you and excited for you on your next phase in life, just remember to not take life to seriously and don't take things to personally, that is one of my life lessons that I wish I would have learned early on, you will be just fine and I look forward to hearing about your new job, location, friends and family.

Dee - your always there to sparkle and shine us, and yes I can tell you are an optimist!!!! I'm glad you are on our team.

Eric-thanks for always checking in on me and watching my progress, I will let you know how my first tri of the season goes next week, it's a sprint.

Julie- Hope all is well with the family and life is treating you well. How's all the bumps and bruises? Poor thing.

Greg - How's things in TX? When is your next race? I think you have a lovely family. Keep the faith!

Amy - If you check in I just want you to know your missed and can't wait to have you back, but breaks are needed and a good thing.

Well I'm going to run/walk today, and hopefully swim in a lake...and I really hope the local bike shop calls me and tells me my new bike is in..............YES people you heard me right I'm "finally" getting me a new bike, no more $75.00 target special, this is a FUJI Carbon Frame CCR3, 47"................I feel the need for speed, oh and comfort will be nice too!!!!

As always love from Indiana.
Amy
2008-05-24 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Sorry I've been off the grid.  Nascar has come to Charlotte and my personal life has disappeared.  Every year, Speed Street is a big 3 day festival with probably 50-100,000 people each day in downtown.  I've been out on the mtn bike with a 30lb pack running calls and battling the crowds.  Last year, we ran 109 calls in 3 days.  We've almost hit 100 in the first 2 days and Saturday is historically the worst day.  Last night was one of the only times I've ever really gotten nervous in a crowd.  It was so crazy that my partner and I were actually separated for about 30 mins.  We were fighting thru the crowd to get to a call and he got pushed one way and I got pushed another.  That was a little nerve-racking.  We ran about 25 calls ourselves, and there were 4 other teams working.  I've been working 15-16 hr days on the bike since Thurs and getting ready to head back out the door for the last day.

I'll check in on all of you tomorrow.  Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
2008-05-24 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1422787

User image

Champion
Taser-World
amy mutz - 2008-05-24 7:34 AM
Well I'm going to run/walk today, and hopefully swim in a lake...and I really hope the local bike shop calls me and tells me my new bike is in..............YES people you heard me right I'm "finally" getting me a new bike, no more $75.00 target special, this is a FUJI Carbon Frame CCR3, 47"................I feel the need for speed, oh and comfort will be nice too!!!!

Amy - congratulations on getting a new bike! And, of course, GOOD LUCK with your tri next week! I'm curious -- what $75 special did you get from Target? Overall, was it worth it?

Advice needed from you "experts":

I need to get a "real" bike one of these days. I have an old stationary bike. And I have an old mountain bike - that hasn't seen daylight in about 14 years. So it needs a complete overhaul, in order to ride it.

So my options are: Pay to get the mountain bike fixed up. Or get one of those "Target Specials."

Which is the better option?

Thanks!

2008-05-24 9:47 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Way to go Pam! It will sink in...eventually. How's the job hunt?

Emerson, looking forward to you getting settled in and back up to speed.

Just a quick update here, I'm spread thin. We had to take Stef's driving away, so I'm running like crazy. Then, when she does try to do something it's usually not the right thing. For example, tonight I was cooking dinner and had everything out to fix the burgers, and she was putting it up before we'd fixed anything. so I'm running in circles trying to fix stuff I've already done. I also got a call on Wednesday that my exercise test is indicating possible blockages when I exercise. So I've got a CT scan  on my heart this week and will get results in another week. So right now any training is on hold until the doc clears me. On brighter news, I had a good interview this week. I did their assessment tests and am expecting a 2nd meeting to review those results then to fly to Pittsburg to meet the rest of the management team. It's (hopefully) going to be a busy couple of weeks.

Gotta head to bed. Swim meet today so it's been a long, hot one.

Greg 

2008-05-25 7:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dee - the Target special is the best way to start out. I got my bike on closeout, it is a roadbike, a Denali 7500, it's aluminum. It got me through my first race at 17mph pace, so not a bad bike at all, it is just time to upgrade to something lighter and fit properly to my body. So I would definately go check out the roadbikes at target, it is worth the money.

Have a great weekend everyone, I'm off to Ky Lake for the day, I will be out on the boat thinking of nothing and just relaxing.

Greg, Wow...I will keep praying for you and yours, hang tough!!!

Amy IN
2008-05-25 10:58 AM
in reply to: #1423459

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Greg - Re Stef's putting everything away too soon - was this just miscommunication? Or was she confused (due to chemo, etc)? Would making a "task checklist" help? (I think I'm a visual person. I do better with seeing things than hearing them....) For example, you could write a list with tasks like: "Set table with dishes, silverware, napkins." Then when Stef wanted to help, she could see that this was the next item on the list that needs to be done.... It might be more work to write a list like this, but then again, it would also keep you from having to redo what you'd already done.... Hope the CT scan goes well. And good luck with the interview!

Amy - Have a great time at the lake! Enjoy the boating day!

Edited by D001 2008-05-25 10:59 AM
2008-05-25 6:43 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC

Dee--another vote for a new ride, even if it is a Target special.  You're probably going to be quite a bit happier with the bike and components.

Greg--Sounds like a ton of stress in your world.  I hope that things go well with your own testing and your interviewing.  The task list might be helpful as long as Stef is recognizing the issues that she is having.  I can tell you from my own experience that "chemo brain" is a real thing.  For me, I was very "line of sight".  If I stopped doing something and set it aside, it might be a long time before I picked it up again.  Forgetful didn't begin to describe me during that time.  We're all thinking about you and your family!

2008-05-26 8:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Good Morning everyone.  I expect to be around much more now that we are getting settled back into our daily routines here in Cincinnati.  I have found a pool, my bike, unpacked -- finely -- the eight boxes shipped UPS here for the summer.  Work has been a real challenge, not worthy of a pretty day.  I will post an Ireland Photo from time to time...  Our hotel was next to the Killarney National Park so I could run from the hotel right to the trails (both paved and natural).  There was a great view spot about 2K from the hotel, so I pushed Peg through the golf course, the woods and up the path to a spot to share the beauty of Ireland.  Here is a photo...  Some nice folks passing by took our photo... More to come... EK 

Edited by etknowles 2008-05-26 8:35 AM

2008-05-26 8:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Greg,

My heart goes out to you on what you two are going through.  Peg, having had a traumatic Brain Injury (stroke) goes through things like that to this day.  I did in the days I was doing my cancer thing...   To this day there are things that I don't remember.

There is nothing worse than when Peg would chide me for something and then realize it was because she forgot... To this day it upsets her.  Patience and repeating yourself A LOT are the words of the day.  For over five years now I repeat our plans for the day several times a day and we write stuff EVERYWHERE.  I know your stress and have seen hers through Peg as well.  Be strong, be patient, be loving and repeat yourself a lot.... 

Our prayers are with you,

Emerson 

Edited by etknowles 2008-05-26 8:49 AM
2008-05-26 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Pam,

Congratulations on the final word and welcome to our world....   You will never have a dull moment!

Emerson

2008-05-26 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1423896

User image

Champion
Taser-World
medic0020 - 2008-05-25 7:43 PM

Dee--another vote for a new ride, even if it is a Target special. You're probably going to be quite a bit happier with the bike and components.

So, things have changed a lot in, um... about 14 years, huh? LOL

Target special, it shall be, then. (Or Walmart, since there's no Target around here.)

Edited by D001 2008-05-26 4:10 PM
2008-05-26 8:20 PM
in reply to: #1424725

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tucson, AZ

Dee, I have looked as some of the bikes that walmat or target carry.  For the price, the look pretty good.  They are heavy but compared to the old 10 speed, they are a massive improvement.  I went from my 1975 Nishiki International 10 speed to the 24 speed I have today and what an amazing change....  I had no idea.  The bike I ride here in Cincy I spend $175 on and it does just fine.  EK

2008-05-26 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1425020

User image

Champion
Taser-World
etknowles - 2008-05-26 9:20 PM

Dee, I have looked as some of the bikes that walmat or target carry. For the price, the look pretty good. They are heavy but compared to the old 10 speed, they are a massive improvement. I went from my 1975 Nishiki International 10 speed to the 24 speed I have today and what an amazing change.... I had no idea. The bike I ride here in Cincy I spend $175 on and it does just fine. EK

My mountain bike is a Nishiki. It cost about $400. (I still shudder at that. Long story, but basically, someone bought it for me, and then gave me the bill. Nice, huh? He was lucky that I let him keep his front teeth....)

Also, I had no clue what to do with 21 gears. Shift, shift, shift, shift, shift....

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Walmart it is.

2008-05-27 10:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I hope everyone has a nice week, it's a bit shorter since we had Memorial Day, and that is a good thing, it means the weekend is closer... Me and My daughter (Lacy) are doing a sprint tri sat and I don't think either one of us feel prepared, I told her lets just go and have fun, laugh and enjoy the experience...she said yep that's what we need to do. I'm excited to get started with my 2nd tri season, and especially since me and Lace will be there together, kids are a special gift from God.
I will tell you guys here that I have only one reservation about the tri...yes...it's the OWS. I have never been to this town or seen the lake, I have only been in the open water twice this year, one bad experience, one good. I'm going to make a promise to you guys that I "will NOT" panic when I get in the water, that way I will be thinking before hand that I can't let my BT group down, that way maybe I will do ok, oh and you can say a little prayer for me too. I can swim and I'm not to bad at it, it's what's between my ears that gives me the problem...hmmm My fellow BT'ers have my promise that I will kick butt in the race and not panic. How's that?
Have a great day!!!!

Dee - go for it on the Wal-mart bike...it will do you just fine.

Amy IN
2008-05-27 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1425818

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

amy mutz - 2008-05-27 8:36 AM I hope everyone has a nice week, it's a bit shorter since we had Memorial Day, and that is a good thing, it means the weekend is closer... Me and My daughter (Lacy) are doing a sprint tri sat and I don't think either one of us feel prepared, I told her lets just go and have fun, laugh and enjoy the experience...she said yep that's what we need to do. I'm excited to get started with my 2nd tri season, and especially since me and Lace will be there together, kids are a special gift from God. I will tell you guys here that I have only one reservation about the tri...yes...it's the OWS. I have never been to this town or seen the lake, I have only been in the open water twice this year, one bad experience, one good. I'm going to make a promise to you guys that I "will NOT" panic when I get in the water, that way I will be thinking before hand that I can't let my BT group down, that way maybe I will do ok, oh and you can say a little prayer for me too. I can swim and I'm not to bad at it, it's what's between my ears that gives me the problem...hmmm My fellow BT'ers have my promise that I will kick butt in the race and not panic. How's that? Have a great day!!!! Dee - go for it on the Wal-mart bike...it will do you just fine. Amy IN

Amy....you are sooo right about the panic thingy..it is all in your head...do not worry...you will do fine...close your eyes and think of being in the pool. There are so many others around you! I actually had a blast in mine...I know that the swim buddy helped me, but I now feel like I can do just fine on my own!! I even swam with jelly fish, too! so go get em tiger...you will so be fine! just swim like you would in the pool....and whatever you do...do not go anaerobic...just nice slow strokes...and then pick it up as you feel warmed up! GO GO GO AMY! we are soo with you on that swim....have a fun race and make sure to keep that smile on at all timeS!

Dee....Nothing wrong with a walmart bike! you may want to check craigslist ads or your classified...but first go and get sized for a bike at you bike shop....ask them what size frame you would need...then start shopping about! a good fitting bike is so key in longevity, comfort and safety! GOOD LUCK! feel free to shoot me an email if you have any questions..

Eric...sounds like Speed Streets is a mini Mardi Gras!! can not believe you got seperated from your partner and had to work alone for that one night...sounds crazy!! hope you are getting caught up with your rest! rest well deserved!

Pam....CONGRATS on graduating! Awesome grades, too! Have you found a job yet? and you said you were in GB with your parents...what or where is GB.?? couldn't figure this one out!?!?! but state of confusion...seems to be par for me lately!

Greg....DID YOU GET THE JOB!? hoping....hoping....HOPING! but if not, thier loss!!!

Emerson....what awesome pictures of your trip....good to see Peg up walking about! I wasn't sure she could walk...Glad to see she can!  hope you are getting all settled into Cincinatti. Let me know when you head back this way...I will do all in my power to make it your way this next time!! what is your next race?

Amy - San Diego Amy that is...how are those legs??? and seen Chuck lately?

Mike....where de heck are ye? hoping that things are going well for you...I know you were doing so good with your training...then you seemed to drop of the face of the earth...come back and let us know how you are!!!! we are missing you!

2008-05-27 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Hi all of my friends,

Well I am pretty tired... ran 8 miles today which was pretty crazy.  I remember just about four years ago I wasn't able to even run a mile and now I can run 8 in a row... wow!  I'm looking to register for my first triathlon this season but can't decide if I want to do the short or long distance.  It is either 400 yd swim, 15 mile bike and 5K or the long is 800 yd swim, 25 mile bike and 10k.  I am thinking I should probably do the long with the HIM just a few short weeks away.  Any advice?

Well I am going to go find myself a glass of wine, a snack, and watch some TV with the parents.  With GB I meant Green Bay, WI my parents hometown and where I grew up.  I am currently here just catching up.  Still jobless, which means I am still moneyless   Oh well, there are more important things in life! 

2008-05-28 12:59 AM
in reply to: #1427381

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
I vote for the long race but then I'm the guy doing 4 tri's in 7 weeks (HIM, Sprint, Olympic, Sprint) then a month off and then Sprint, Olympic, Sprint in 5 weeks, plus whatever other end of season races I come up with between mid Aug and my 2nd HIM in November....wow...I wonder if chemo brain makes me loose my common sense as well!
2008-05-29 7:24 PM

User image

Champion
Santa Cruz, California

come out....come out...wherever you are!?!? I finally feel better and noone wants to play! doh!

2008-05-29 7:30 PM
in reply to: #1432216

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Girl Passing on Left - 2008-05-29 8:24 PM

come out....come out...wherever you are!?!? I finally feel better and noone wants to play! doh!

I'm here -- but I've been busy trying to keep up with the posts in the Challenge forum....

Team 1 has been keeping me especially busy. Do you have any idea why that may be? :P

2008-05-29 7:48 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Still here too...it's been a crazy month.  Leaving Saturday for the beach for a week as soon as I get back from my Olympic tri.
2008-05-29 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

Me too. Just don't feel like I belong since my training schedule is nil right now. Pam, I say go long, but I'm kind of messed up anyway. ;-)

I'll get my CT results on Tuesday so will know for sure what's happnin with the ticker. Meanwhile I'm running like crazy. Stef had a good day on Monday and Tuesday then back down Wednesday and today. No update on the job. This one will move kind of slow. I've got 2 hot ones in the oven, but the oven is only set on 220 degrees.

The triathlon is rocking! we are almost 50% full now. We are working on sponsors like crazy and getting commitments. I'm pleased with where we are. People are starting to talk more about it so it's good.

Hope all are doing well. Train hard - and run a few extra miles for me. 8 miles!! Non-stop!! Wow!! I have a hard time driving that far!!

Greg 

2008-05-29 8:16 PM
in reply to: #1432277

User image

Champion
Taser-World
mman - 2008-05-29 9:11 PM

Me too. Just don't feel like I belong since my training schedule is nil right now. Pam, I say go long, but I'm kind of messed up anyway. ;-)

I'll get my CT results on Tuesday so will know for sure what's happnin with the ticker. Meanwhile I'm running like crazy. Stef had a good day on Monday and Tuesday then back down Wednesday and today. No update on the job. This one will move kind of slow. I've got 2 hot ones in the oven, but the oven is only set on 220 degrees.

The triathlon is rocking! we are almost 50% full now. We are working on sponsors like crazy and getting commitments. I'm pleased with where we are. People are starting to talk more about it so it's good.

Hope all are doing well. Train hard - and run a few extra miles for me. 8 miles!! Non-stop!! Wow!! I have a hard time driving that far!!

Greg

Greg - You belong. We understand that you've got to take care of other things right now. Hopefully, Stef will have a good day again tomorrow. Great job with the triathlon! And hopefully, you'll have some good news on Tuesday when the CT results come back.

P.S. I can run 8 miles in, um... a month. I think.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » medic0020's Group - CLOSED--BUSTIN AT THE SEAMS Rss Feed  

of 73