BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-09-15 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3098529

User image

Expert
WA
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed.
wbayek - 2010-09-14 2:20 AM That sounds like a great plan Bill.  Take what the day gives you.  I have a deeper respect for these events now, not that I didn't before.  Stay within yourself and enjoy the day.  70.3 is a loooong way!

@Warren I agree, after doing a HIM I had A LOT more respect for long distance triathletes.  What mental strength!! 

@Bill, Good luck and have fun!!  Smart idea to enjoy the moment!

2010-09-16 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

NH
Rene, you can have my swim times if I can have your run! 

Seriously, everyone who has races left finish strong.  Bill is ready to hammer a half this weekend, and Ray has been quiet through his taper but he has Redman full next weekend.  Get after it. 
2010-09-16 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3101544

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
GOOD LUCK BILL - ROCK IT OUT!
2010-09-17 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Thank you all for the kind wishes, inspires, etc.  I've been ultra-stressed for the past 24 hours... All my well-laid travel plans are shot as my mom (who was going to watch the kids so my wife and I could come up to the race) has gotten sick and probably won't be able to babysit.  I may be making the trip alone, but even that's up in the air.  I just love when the pre-race plans fall apart 24 hours before the race!  As if I wasn't nervous enough about the race itself!!! UGH!
2010-09-17 9:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
I'm sorry to hear that, Bill. Fingers crossed for you that it works out with very little stress.
2010-09-17 11:41 AM
in reply to: #3103808

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2010-09-16 5:36 PM Thank you all for the kind wishes, inspires, etc.  I've been ultra-stressed for the past 24 hours... All my well-laid travel plans are shot as my mom (who was going to watch the kids so my wife and I could come up to the race) has gotten sick and probably won't be able to babysit.  I may be making the trip alone, but even that's up in the air.  I just love when the pre-race plans fall apart 24 hours before the race!  As if I wasn't nervous enough about the race itself!!! UGH!

Going to a race by yourself isn't that bad.  I have gone to a few races by myself including my first marathon in Portland (2008).  I don't mean to sound selfish here, but it was nice just to have to worry about myself for the race, less distractions.   When you come home you will appreciate your kids and and wife that much more since you are missing them.

It's all YOU! Make it happen!  :-)

2010-09-17 11:55 AM

User image

Expert
WA
2010-09-17 12:16 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Problem(s) solved.  My brother is going to come up to Syracuse with me.  He's wanted to see one of my races since I started doing tris and that puts my wife's mind at ease that someone will be up there with me.  And it'll be nice to catch up with my bro on 5 hour ride up there (and back). Weather looks like crapola, but no turning back now! 
Cool
2010-09-17 12:23 PM
in reply to: #3104610

User image

NH
billsorg - 2010-09-17 1:16 PM Problem(s) solved.  My brother is going to come up to Syracuse with me.  He's wanted to see one of my races since I started doing tris and that puts my wife's mind at ease that someone will be up there with me.  And it'll be nice to catch up with my bro on 5 hour ride up there (and back). Weather looks like crapola, but no turning back now! 
Cool

Great news Bill.  You'll have a great race.  As they say, stay on top of the things you can control, and manage the things you can't.
2010-09-18 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Bill, so glad you get to spend time with your brother...great solution! Best of luck. Enjoy the time!
2010-09-19 9:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Bill's out of the water and on the bike!! 

CRANK ON BILL!!!

2010-09-19 12:00 PM
in reply to: #3106584

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
mdfahy - 2010-09-18 10:50 PM Bill's out of the water and on the bike!! 

CRANK ON BILL!!!

WOOT!

I know he doesn't like the swim - so he's got the mentally hard part behind him...now to avoid the mid-run picnic.
2010-09-20 8:24 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA

Hello friends! Thanks again for helping me through the race!  I can honestly tell you that I thought about you all when I was out there and, believe it or not, you really picked me up and got me to the finish line.  The race was really tough... much tougher than I expected.  The water for the swim was 61 degrees and I started cramping up pretty badly at the end.  I was only about 25 yards from the swim exit and both legs completely locked up... calves, thighs, hips.  Once I was able to struggle out of the water, I had to stretch for a while. 

Then the bike course was utterly brutal.  The first 12 miles were all uphill… I mean WAAAAY uphill… So I was seriously considering of packing it in after the bike.  But that's where you guys picked me up.  I thought about Matt, Rene, Warren and Bob all knocking out their first HIM's.  How Matt and Warren overcame so much adversity to get it done.  I thought about Jennifer overcoming her demons to knock out her first tri.  I thought about what Ray is about to undertake for the first time.  So I gobbled down a bunch of salt tablets and ate Hammer Jels like they were thanksgiving dinner and the cramping and lack of energy eventually subsided.  I knew I was properly hydrated (maybe too hydtrated) because I had to stop twice on the bike and once on the run to pee.  Also, had to stop 3 times on the bike for mechanical issues... had a tire rubbing on something and couldn't find out what it was... Ultimately, I just decided to ignore it.  Anyway, after the bike I was feeling just good enough after the bike to go out on the run.  About halfway through the run, Samantha McGlone rode by on her bike and gave me some encouragement... Love her!  Long story "short", I crossed the finish line… total time; 7 hours 1 minute.  BOO  YAH!

This race, while the time may not show it, tested me more physically and mentally than anything I've ever done before.  I left it ALL out on the course. I'm so proud of this result and I'm looking forward to ratcheting my distances down and working on speed.  As I told my wife... 2011 is the year of the SPRINT!

Full race report in the next day or two.

P.S. I'm barely able to walk today.  Never has so much pain felt so satisfying!

2010-09-20 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
Warren, good job on the sub 6:00.

Bill, I hope you had a great race.

Jennifer,  if you are anything like me, you will get lots of runs in while caring for your dad.  My dad was in the ICU a few years ago.  While my brothers would drink or smoke to relieve stress, I'd have to go for frequent runs.

I have been quiet during taper. Last week I was "unplugged" again. We went to the Bluegrass festival in Winfield, KS. I was surprised that there was no internet service for my wife's iPhone.  I was still able to get some good runs and rides in.

The festival was quite an experience.  The first day,  a tornado went  overhead and touched down just to the east of us.  The campgrounds experienced  80 mph winds.  It blew over some pop ups, trailers, and all of the port-a-potties.  I don't think there was a single tent left standing, and every 'easy-up' was destroyed.  Then on the way home, my father-in-law (with whom I rode with to the festival) fell asleep and had a roll over accident on the interstate.  Everyone was OK.   I was with my wife in my mother-in-law's vehicle checking out the IM race course (which was on the way home.)  Checking out the race course was a last second decision, and me and my MIA changed vehicles.  It is a good thing, as everyone agreed, that because of my size and the way the vehicle landed, that I would not have survived the impact.  My bike was in the truck that rolled over, but the only damage taken was some bent aero bars.  Anyways, after a tornado and car accident I am glad to be alive to race next weekend.
2010-09-20 10:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Orange, CA
Bill, Awesome job and fantastic perseverance. Congratulations!

Ray, I'm glad everyone is ok and you're still on track. Kick , man!
2010-09-20 10:54 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Ray, so glad to hear that your F-I-L is OK and that you made that fateful decision to ride separately.  Someone was smiling down upon you!  You must be totally stoked for your race... you've worked so freakin hard, you're going to rock da house!

2010-09-20 11:54 AM
in reply to: #3107481

User image

Expert
WA
billsorg - 2010-09-19 6:24 PM

Hello friends! Thanks again for helping me through the race!  I can honestly tell you that I thought about you all when I was out there and, believe it or not, you really picked me up and got me to the finish line.  The race was really tough... much tougher than I expected.  The water for the swim was 61 degrees and I started cramping up pretty badly at the end.  I was only about 25 yards from the swim exit and both legs completely locked up... calves, thighs, hips.  Once I was able to struggle out of the water, I had to stretch for a while. 

Then the bike course was utterly brutal.  The first 12 miles were all uphill… I mean WAAAAY uphill… So I was seriously considering of packing it in after the bike.  But that's where you guys picked me up.  I thought about Matt, Rene, Warren and Bob all knocking out their first HIM's.  How Matt and Warren overcame so much adversity to get it done.  I thought about Jennifer overcoming her demons to knock out her first tri.  I thought about what Ray is about to undertake for the first time.  So I gobbled down a bunch of salt tablets and ate Hammer Jels like they were thanksgiving dinner and the cramping and lack of energy eventually subsided.  I knew I was properly hydrated (maybe too hydtrated) because I had to stop twice on the bike and once on the run to pee.  Also, had to stop 3 times on the bike for mechanical issues... had a tire rubbing on something and couldn't find out what it was... Ultimately, I just decided to ignore it.  Anyway, after the bike I was feeling just good enough after the bike to go out on the run.  About halfway through the run, Samantha McGlone rode by on her bike and gave me some encouragement... Love her!  Long story "short", I crossed the finish line… total time; 7 hours 1 minute.  BOO  YAH!

This race, while the time may not show it, tested me more physically and mentally than anything I've ever done before.  I left it ALL out on the course. I'm so proud of this result and I'm looking forward to ratcheting my distances down and working on speed.  As I told my wife... 2011 is the year of the SPRINT!

Bill....
WOW!!!  Way to push on!!! It is all mental at this level and you had what it takes!! Congrats on a great race!!
2010-09-20 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3107499

User image

Expert
WA
ray6foot7 - 2010-09-19 6:36 PM

The festival was quite an experience.  The first day,  a tornado went  overhead and touched down just to the east of us.  The campgrounds experienced  80 mph winds.  It blew over some pop ups, trailers, and all of the port-a-potties.  I don't think there was a single tent left standing, and every 'easy-up' was destroyed.  Then on the way home, my father-in-law (with whom I rode with to the festival) fell asleep and had a roll over accident on the interstate.  Everyone was OK.   I was with my wife in my mother-in-law's vehicle checking out the IM race course (which was on the way home.)  Checking out the race course was a last second decision, and me and my MIA changed vehicles.  It is a good thing, as everyone agreed, that because of my size and the way the vehicle landed, that I would not have survived the impact.  My bike was in the truck that rolled over, but the only damage taken was some bent aero bars.  Anyways, after a tornado and car accident I am glad to be alive to race next weekend.

Ray!!!!!!!!
That is quite the story!!  You are lucky to be here with us!!  I can't imagine what you may thinking right now.  I would personally be very grateful for....EVERYTHING!!!  Next week is going to be so much more than finishing a race for you!!  Glad everyone was OK!!
2010-09-20 9:36 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Bill - fantastic job! Even with your self-proclaimed lack of volume - you still did great. Give me hope!

Ray - your story gave me the chills...what good fortune (not for your FIL, but that no one was seriously hurt). You are meant to do this race!

Best of luck to both Ray and Matt - will look forward to hearing all about it.

Still in New Mexico - going home next Saturday when my sister comes out to relieve me. My father is doing better - but it's going to be a long haul to recover from. I keep thinking of what a great place to train Albuquerque is...then I noticed in my latest Triathlete magazine that it got an honorable mention as a good place for triathletes...Jeremy - you've got it made! (Although, the altitude is challenging and the heat is rough) I have been able to run quite a bit (you are spot on again, Ray, it's been a necessary stress reliever)...but am really itching to go for a ride on Tramway.

Have a great race both of you...you're the last of the group to run their big race. Finish it off BIG!
2010-09-21 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3107481

User image

NH
billsorg - 2010-09-20 9:24 AM

Long story "short", I crossed the finish line… total time; 7 hours 1 minute.  BOO  YAH!

Nice race Bill, awesome job to stick it out.  These endurance events are often about changing the plan and giving the day whatever you have.  Awesome job.
2010-09-21 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3107499

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-09-20 9:36 AM

Wow, you've had some interesting experiences on this path.  I'm glad you get away and unplugged from time to time, that's an experience we should all try to duplicate. 

And that car story is scary - So glad everyone is ok, and what timing for you to NOT be in that car.  It reminds me that life is precious and every second should be treated that way.  Don't leave things unsaid, don't let your kids/spouse/other loved ones wonder how you feel about them.

Have a great race this weekend and rock that course.

2010-09-21 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond
Awesome race Bill, you really dealt with alot on that course, way to overcome the day's challenges and finishing strong!!

Ray, sorry to hear about that accident but thank God no one got hurt.  Good luck on your IRONMAN this weekend!!!  YOU ROCK!!

So my AquaVelo is just 3 1/2 days away.  I got a new Adamo saddle, those long rides were getting very uncomfortable in my old saddle.  And I heard you all talking about them, then my neighbor got one and loved it so I broke down and figured I couldn't get any more uncomfortable, even with a new seat.  I also just bought a new VORTEX 3 FULLSUIT on ebay from xterra, looks like they are starting to clear out some 2010 models, so the price was pretty decent for brand new.  I have 4 planned open water race swims including CDA, assuming I make it past this weekend, so I justified the cost rather than renting each time.  So other than that, a friend looked up the swim course on a website for water depths and it showed 6-7 ft is deepest part, hope that's right, it sure helped my confidence if it is.  I guess I'll ask someone when I check in to confirm, but since he's a sailor, I think he's probably pretty accurate.  My plan is like Bill's, just try to finish (and stay within my limits this time).
2010-09-22 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Richmond

Here's the website that you can look up water depths for OWS races.

http://earthnc.com/earthnc-online-chart-viewer

2010-09-22 8:59 AM

User image

NH
Matt,
Just out of curiosity, what difference does it make how deep the water is?  Once it's over your head, isn't 8 feet the same as 1008 ft?

Either way, you will hammer that course.
2010-09-23 7:35 AM

User image

NH
Bob snuck in a tri last weekend too!  7/72 in his AG, awesome job.  No details on the RR but amazing times.  Good job.  Top 10% AG finish qualifies your for nationals I think.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76