2011-03-30 9:44 PM
in reply to: #3422460

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
trigal38 - 2011-03-30 4:53 PM
akrenik - 2011-03-30 3:44 PM

Three days to go...did I mention I have THREE days to go?!    I have been so proud of myself keeping calm and telling myself it is no big deal.  HA!  It is a big deal.  I am so excited/nervous! 

Question: I have heard that some people start really hydrating a few days before.  Should I be drinking gatorade and water now?  Can our bodies really store it up?

And did I mention I have 3 days?  Surprised haha

A wise BT'r once said race day is the celebration for all your hard work. Try to relax and enjoy your celebration!

I lOVE that!  Thanks! 

2011-03-31 1:10 AM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

Wow...  Great job everyone!  This is the best training plan thread ever!  Everyone's so receptive of new members, so supportive of new highs and even the lows.  Eventhough we don't know each other personally, all the encouragement in this thread really hits home.  We're all gonna raise hell in our upcoming races!!!

I had one of the best training days today.  Again, me and the buddies rode their time trial route at Palos Verdes hills.  It's about a 6 mile route through the hills.  Well we didn't get satisfied with that and we went to the absolute bottom of the hill and rode back up through a 15% gradient for about a half a mile.  Boy was that a blast!  We ended up climbing about 2300 feet and change just on that hill.  It was great!  I wanted to do it again but it was getting already getting dark.

Well a couple of us wanted to run and run we did...  We run for 3.45 miles and I felt strong throughout the run.  The first mile was slow as usual but once I got my bearings, I was like Forrest Gump running as fast as he can.  I broke 7min/miles on a brick workout for the first time!  I ran the first mile over 10mins since I wanted to chit chat with the buddy then I told him I was gonna push it.  On the 2nd mile I had spring on my strides and each step had a certain special feel to it.  I was running for 6:45 for more than a mile after a hard bike climb!!! 

Well there it is.  I just had to share that with you all. 

Edited by arkmann 2011-03-31 11:24 AM
2011-03-31 6:52 AM

Veteran
Kirkcaldy

Start my HIM plan on Monday.  Un fortunately I will be in Paris, France with work.  However have managed to book a hotel with Gym and pool so although not ideal it should see me through!.  HIM 20 Aug Aberfeldy Scotland here I commmmmeeeeeeee

2011-03-31 8:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
11 weeks out and wrapping up the run focus week.  Dang, my legs are feeling it.  Looking forward to the bike focus next week.
2011-03-31 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Edmonds

I'm so happy I found this!  I am on week 7 of my training.  Things have been good so far, but this week has been tough.  I rearanged my weeks a little to have my recovery week next week and my bike focus week, this week.  I have family coming in town next week, that's why I wanted it to be my recovery week.  I took out the swim week (i'm a swimmer and not too worried about my swim) to have a recovery week the week before an oly. race in May.  I REALLY need to work on my bike.  It's my weakest leg plus I just got a tri bike.  Of course, this is the week my kids get sick.  My 4 year old has pneumonia and my little one has some kind of virus.  I haven't slept or worked out in days. 

I don't know what to do about my plan.  Can I call this week a bust, do my recovery next week then do the bike focused week the following week.  That will put me a week behind.  Can I take out a random week in the future?

I hope this makes some sense.  Thanks for your help.

Christy 

2011-03-31 9:17 AM

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask few questions

I started my triathlon experience last season by doing two spring tris (both in September).  I am currently training for my first Oly (Philly Tri on June 26th).  I like swimming and I'm ok on the bike but I've never been good at running... so to help with the running portion of the oly I started training for Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (on June 5).  After those two events I'm planning on doing couple more sprint tris and maybe one more oly, and I'm now seriously thinking about signing up to do my first HIM.  I know I might be jumping the gun a little, seeing as I haven't even done my first Olympic tri yet or the half marathon, but I figured I'm already training to swim 0.9 mi and training to run a half marathon why not sign up for a HIM?  I've looked at the Miami Man on November  13, has anyone here done it? Any thoughts?                                              

This might seem like a really silly question but, I looked at the beginner 1/2 IM plan, and wanted to know are the swim distances in yards or meters? I swim at my gym and the pool is only 20 yards long

2011-03-31 10:43 AM
in reply to: #3422896

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake
fifetriguy - 2011-03-31 7:52 AM

Start my HIM plan on Monday.  Un fortunately I will be in Paris, France with work.  However have managed to book a hotel with Gym and pool so although not ideal it should see me through!.  HIM 20 Aug Aberfeldy Scotland here I commmmmeeeeeeee

It's tough training on the road but it can be done. There are great runs in Paris so that is no issue. The hotels I stay at have access to club med gym's but the pools they have are only 18m and there is no way I can get a workout in in that. But the plan gives you a great website(http://www.swimmersguide.com/)

I use this all over the world and have had good luck finding pools including in Paris. Then just have to work the bike. Club med gyms have spin bikes that work ok in a bind. Good luck with training and can't wait to hear about Aberfeldy!

2011-03-31 10:49 AM
in reply to: #3423171

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake
cbrookhart - 2011-03-31 10:15 AM

I'm so happy I found this!  I am on week 7 of my training.  Things have been good so far, but this week has been tough.  I rearanged my weeks a little to have my recovery week next week and my bike focus week, this week.  I have family coming in town next week, that's why I wanted it to be my recovery week.  I took out the swim week (i'm a swimmer and not too worried about my swim) to have a recovery week the week before an oly. race in May.  I REALLY need to work on my bike.  It's my weakest leg plus I just got a tri bike.  Of course, this is the week my kids get sick.  My 4 year old has pneumonia and my little one has some kind of virus.  I haven't slept or worked out in days. 

I don't know what to do about my plan.  Can I call this week a bust, do my recovery next week then do the bike focused week the following week.  That will put me a week behind.  Can I take out a random week in the future?

Christy 

I am 14 weeks in/ 7 weeks to go and I had a week like that where I was sick and didn't get much in. I skipped the recovery week. Felt like I had had the time off. So I did the week I had just missed and then right to the next week in the plan. Worked well for me but that puts 4 solid weeks before the next recovery. Hope you work it out!

2011-03-31 1:24 PM
in reply to: #3423378

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
wozin8or - 2011-03-31 10:49 AM

cbrookhart - 2011-03-31 10:15 AM

Christy 

I am 14 weeks in/ 7 weeks to go and I had a week like that where I was sick and didn't get much in. I skipped the recovery week. Felt like I had had the time off. So I did the week I had just missed and then right to the next week in the plan. Worked well for me but that puts 4 solid weeks before the next recovery. Hope you work it out!

This sounds like a pretty good strategy. You really do not need to follow the plan to the letter but adhere to the cyclical nature of the training phases and get in the overall work volume. Real life makes it almost impossible to follow the plan perfectly but do the best you can and you should be just fine. Good luck.
2011-03-31 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3422809

User image

Bronze member
arkmann - 2011-03-31 1:10 AM

Wow...  Great job everyone!  This is the best training plan thread ever!  Everyone's so receptive of new members, so supportive of new highs and even the lows.  Eventhough we don't know each other personally, all the encouragement in this thread really hits home.  We're all gonna raise hell in our upcoming races!!!

I had one of the best training days today.  Again, me and the buddies rode their time trial route at Palos Verdes hills.  It's about a 6 mile route through the hills.  Well we didn't get satisfied with that and we went to the absolute bottom of the hill and rode back up through a 15% gradient for about a half a mile.  Boy was that a blast!  We ended up climbing about 2300 feet and change just on that hill.  It was great!  I wanted to do it again but it was getting already getting dark.

Well a couple of us wanted to run and run we did...  We run for 3.45 miles and I felt strong throughout the run.  The first mile was slow as usual but once I got my bearings, I was like Forrest Gump running as fast as he can.  I broke 7min/miles on a brick workout for the first time!  I ran the first mile over 10mins since I wanted to chit chat with the buddy then I told him I was gonna push it.  On the 2nd mile I had spring on my strides and each step had a certain special feel to it.  I was running for 6:45 for more than a mile after a hard bike climb!!! 

Well there it is.  I just had to share that with you all. 

Sounds like an awesome workout! Your kicking some tail with your training. I can't break 7 min/mile for 1 mile!

2011-03-31 1:51 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
This is a lesson for what not to do within this plan and I am now regretting it. I registered for a marathon Saturday as I mentioned before. I feel that my overall fitness will get me through as I'm am doing it as a special "life" event and just want to enjoy the experience not to race the clock.

But, it has thrown this weeks training into a shambles as I mentally prepare for what will be a very difficult challenge. I will probably lose most of next week as well. This was bike focus week and I really needed the bike time. Didn't happen.

I'm already committed so cannot back out. Because of what I went through last year with major illness people have really rallied around me for this race. Much more so than the HIM I'm planning on doing. Most people identify and appreciate the challenge of a marathon way more than an HIM (right or wrong, thats just the way it seems).

This is not the first time I have pushed myself beyond my limits and have always persevered but in the context of following this plan and doing well at the HIM this is starting to freak me out and I would never advice anyone to do this. I pride myself on usually being pretty rational but I am feeling a bit foolish.

2011-03-31 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3423791

User image

Bronze member

popsracer - 2011-03-31 1:51 PM This is a lesson for what not to do within this plan and I am now regretting it. I registered for a marathon Saturday as I mentioned before. I feel that my overall fitness will get me through as I'm am doing it as a special "life" event and just want to enjoy the experience not to race the clock. But, it has thrown this weeks training into a shambles as I mentally prepare for what will be a very difficult challenge. I will probably lose most of next week as well. This was bike focus week and I really needed the bike time. Didn't happen. I'm already committed so cannot back out. Because of what I went through last year with major illness people have really rallied around me for this race. Much more so than the HIM I'm planning on doing. Most people identify and appreciate the challenge of a marathon way more than an HIM (right or wrong, thats just the way it seems). This is not the first time I have pushed myself beyond my limits and have always persevered but in the context of following this plan and doing well at the HIM this is starting to freak me out and I would never advice anyone to do this. I pride myself on usually being pretty rational but I am feeling a bit foolish.

Thanks for that little tip. I was feeling foolish for not signing up for an 8 mile local run this weekend. 650 people in our little town are signed up for the race and I'm having to explain how I don't want to run because it will really mess with my training plan. Next week starts my run focus and I don't want to start out sore and beat up from some stupid local race that I really don't even care about. Every time I start to explain to someone I feel like a moron and see their eyes glaze over. I should just say I can't make it and leave it at that! I think people don't understand how one sport impacts the other. It is hard when everyone else is saying what they think you should do "You should run the marathon. It will be great". I just look at my running friends and say I'll run a marathon as soon as you race a triathlon!

Now, no regrets. You will do your best and you can face this challenge. You've done much harder things than this marathon. Be smart with your recovery, the plan will still be there when you are ready. Come back and tell us all about how great it was .

How was that for a pep talk?

2011-03-31 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3423171

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
cbrookhart - 2011-03-31 9:15 AM

Christy 

I would suggest just calling this week a bust, have your recovery next week, and then sub the bike focus week for the week after your recovery week. You won't be a week behind if you just replace the week after the recovery week with the bike focus week.

2011-03-31 3:32 PM
in reply to: #3423175

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
marta119 - 2011-03-31 9:17 AM

Hi,

Just wanted to introduce myself and ask few questions

I started my triathlon experience last season by doing two spring tris (both in September).  I am currently training for my first Oly (Philly Tri on June 26th).  I like swimming and I'm ok on the bike but I've never been good at running... so to help with the running portion of the oly I started training for Amica Iron Horse Half Marathon (on June 5).  After those two events I'm planning on doing couple more sprint tris and maybe one more oly, and I'm now seriously thinking about signing up to do my first HIM.  I know I might be jumping the gun a little, seeing as I haven't even done my first Olympic tri yet or the half marathon, but I figured I'm already training to swim 0.9 mi and training to run a half marathon why not sign up for a HIM?  I've looked at the Miami Man on November  13, has anyone here done it? Any thoughts?                                              

This might seem like a really silly question but, I looked at the beginner 1/2 IM plan, and wanted to know are the swim distances in yards or meters? I swim at my gym and the pool is only 20 yards long

Welcome! I have done Miami Man but it was years go when it was a much smaller race. It was lots of fun and the bike course is super flat. The plan is in yards but meters is fine as well. I hate that your pool is short!! So annoying. Any chance there is a municipal pool you can use for a day use fee?

2011-03-31 3:53 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Dina, thanks you the pep talk. You guys are the best. I thought about writing the name of a person or group meaningful to me after every mile on my arm as kind of a thanks and recognition. BT peeps will be on the list.
2011-03-31 4:02 PM
in reply to: #3424130

User image

Elite
Hendersonville

popsracer - 2011-03-31 3:53 PM Dina, thanks you the pep talk. You guys are the best. I thought about writing the name of a person or group meaningful to me after every mile on my arm as kind of a thanks and recognition. BT peeps will be on the list.

Thank YOU for sharing your mistakes with us. We learn from each other, and frequently triathletes brag about over-doing it. it's nice to hear from athletes that are humble and wise enough to share mistakes, too.

2011-03-31 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
San Jose

Popsracer,

I signed up for a marathon months ago as one of those life goals. Then I signed up for a bunch of other fun things including my first HIM in July. My 'official' training plan for the HIM started the last week of February and the marathon was a week later. I had to do a LOT of adjustments to keep the running up and afterwards worked out pretty lightly for 3 weeks. This is my first week back to the plan (after basically not following it for the first month) and I feel great. I needed the time off. I'm not sure I'll do another marathon at that time of year but it was a wonderful experience and worth doing. You'll make it all work. Don't jump back in too soon though. As everyone always says, listen to your body and pick it back up when it feels right.

Have a great time!

Johanne

2011-03-31 5:25 PM

Expert
You guys are all great! I thought this thread was active like 20 weeks ago ha! Keep it up and you will see your race, and your goals, much sooner than you think.  
2011-03-31 7:21 PM

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
At the beginning of March, I set certain distances goals for myself for the month and am proud to say that I hit them all. I missed but one of the planned workouts (the one being a 30 minute recovery run during week 11 (run focus) just cause I can't run five times in one week) and logged 35 hours of training during the month. The thing I'm most proud of is that I hit every swim workout during the swim focus week and that I managed to swim 33,000 yards for the month. Swimming remains the hardest discipline and 12 mos ago 1000 yard swim was barely possible. It is good to take a step back and relish accomplishments both big and small. Still enjoying the ride.
2011-03-31 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3424419

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
JoePetto - 2011-03-31 7:21 PM

At the beginning of March, I set certain distances goals for myself for the month and am proud to say that I hit them all. I missed but one of the planned workouts (the one being a 30 minute recovery run during week 11 (run focus) just cause I can't run five times in one week) and logged 35 hours of training during the month. The thing I'm most proud of is that I hit every swim workout during the swim focus week and that I managed to swim 33,000 yards for the month. Swimming remains the hardest discipline and 12 mos ago 1000 yard swim was barely possible. It is good to take a step back and relish accomplishments both big and small. Still enjoying the ride.

Good job. Thats a bit over 20 miles of swimming. Great accomplishment
2011-03-31 7:38 PM
in reply to: #3424268

User image

Expert

JG_GreenCoast - 2011-03-31 5:25 PM You guys are all great! I thought this thread was active like 20 weeks ago ha! Keep it up and you will see your race, and your goals, much sooner than you think.

x2, though I wasn't on this thread 20 weeks ago... it's fantastic to read about everyone's training successes and tribulations! You ROCK, gang-- keep it up! *cheers everybody on*

2011-03-31 10:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson

Did speed work tonight.  It was very very hard... This is the first time I did this and boy was I in for a surprise...  I felt spent after the run but I had to follow it up with 45 ride on the trainer 95% in aero to get used to the position.

Run work out was:

15min warm up

800m sprint (3min rest)

9x400m (2min rest in between)

10min cool down

2011-04-01 12:26 AM
in reply to: #3424672

Expert
arkmann - 2011-03-31 10:53 PM

Did speed work tonight.  It was very very hard... This is the first time I did this and boy was I in for a surprise...  I felt spent after the run but I had to follow it up with 45 ride on the trainer 95% in aero to get used to the position.

Run work out was:

15min warm up

800m sprint (3min rest)

9x400m (2min rest in between)

10min cool down

I live for these man, my absolute favorite.  IMO running speedwork is the best building that i've done in any of the three sports.  They are tough, but effective, and in some strange way I really really enjoy them.

2011-04-01 6:54 AM
in reply to: #3424735

Veteran
Kirkcaldy

Agree totally Arkman.  In Jan I started taking a small group from my tri club out on a mon night.  We do 3 weeks hard sessions-hills, tempo, fartlek or a mix and 1 week easy.  As it gets lighter one of the weeks is going to be a 5k TT.  No one has dropped out and the group is growing so something must be right!

I believe runners should do speedwork year round ESP older runners

2011-04-01 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3424837

User image

Veteran
Waterloo, IL
I have been neglecting my speedwork.  I get too focused on going the distance, that I leave out the interval work.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150