Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-05-19 11:08 PM
in reply to: #2797444

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Subject: RE: Tony Zamora's group - FULL
Definetly we can try to hook up and go for a ride!  This week is a bit hectic, but maybe early next week?

Did you go out to the Ride of Silence tonight?

2010-05-20 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2869986

Panama City Beach, FL
tzcoaching - 2010-05-19 11:08 PM Definetly we can try to hook up and go for a ride!  This week is a bit hectic, but maybe early next week?

Did you go out to the Ride of Silence tonight?

No I rode out RCR for 17miles.  Ranger Camp open house is this weekend, so RCR is going to be very busy, so I'm going to be investigating somewhere else to ride....perhaps Baker or Airport Rd in C'view.
2010-05-20 10:19 AM

User image

, Arizona
This weeks training has been awesome! I'm finally really ramping things up, hard to believe the race is ONLY 3 months away! This week has been bike to work week which has really helped put in some extra miles. I did my first brick of the season Tuesday, a short ride followed by a 7 mile run, felt really good! I've got another run today, should break 10 hours of training this week, I can't wait for my rest day this weekend!

mashmead good luck this weekend! Your logs look like your a strong runner, I'm guessing that's your specialty. Go rock it! 
2010-05-20 10:49 AM

User image

, Arizona
Oh, I wanted to ask you florida folks something as well! My wife and I will be in Orlando in two weeks for a computer class, probably about a 5 day trip. Is Orlando bike friendly at all? The company I work for will pay for any kind of fitness center while I'm traveling on business, I'm going to see if I can get them to pay for a bike rental. We are staying near the airport so maybe that's not the best place for biking, but I figured I'd check and see! Otherwise I'll probably just find a stationary bike.
2010-05-20 2:59 PM
in reply to: #2871018

Panama City Beach, FL
Synon - 2010-05-20 10:49 AM Oh, I wanted to ask you florida folks something as well! My wife and I will be in Orlando in two weeks for a computer class, probably about a 5 day trip. Is Orlando bike friendly at all? The company I work for will pay for any kind of fitness center while I'm traveling on business, I'm going to see if I can get them to pay for a bike rental. We are staying near the airport so maybe that's not the best place for biking, but I figured I'd check and see! Otherwise I'll probably just find a stationary bike.

It's possible that there may be a few areas that may be nice to ride, but in general I would say no. Most of the hotels that are near the airport or on International Drive -- the traffic is absolutely horrible.   And although you are used to heat in Arizona, Florida heat is very different.  When I have travelled to Tucson for business, I could easily run in the heat of late afternoons with no difficulty.  The 100% humidity in Florida can easily wipe you out if you are not used to it. (I went through almost 44oz yesterday afternoon on my 17mile ride and it wasn't even all that hot).

Hope you have a great visit.  Say "HI" to Mickey!
2010-05-20 4:07 PM

User image

wisconsin
Went for a run last night and am having some IT Band issues I think.  Really am getting tired of issues with the running.  Took today off of work and got a 20 mile ride in.  It was a great ride and my legs are shot.  I have looked online about the IT band issues and really don't know what to do. 

2010-05-20 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2870361

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@beckie32569 - yup it is going to be a bit busy this weekend!  I plan on riding out of Milton, and doing a good 75 - 80 miles on Saturday.  Have you ever ridden those roads up there?  It's worth the drive (every now and then on the weekends!). 
2010-05-20 9:37 PM
in reply to: #2871018

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@Synon - Sorry, haven't spent too much time around Orlando to give you an answer, but I would guess that anything around the airport would be busy!  You could probably get some running in though.

But yeah, like they said in here already, Florida heat is way different.  You'll start sweating just by putting your shoes on!
2010-05-20 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2872212

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@diggerjr80 - Sorry to hear about the IT band!  Have you tried using a foam roller on it?  Doing it every day, 1 -2 times a day really helps to loosen things up and work out those issues.

Also, depending on where you live (big city?), I would suggest you look into a Chiropractor who is ART (active release technique) qualified.  They are awesome!  They understand the stress sports put on the body and how to work out any issues.
2010-05-21 6:57 AM
in reply to: #2872656

Panama City Beach, FL
tzcoaching - 2010-05-20 9:33 PM @beckie32569 - yup it is going to be a bit busy this weekend!  I plan on riding out of Milton, and doing a good 75 - 80 miles on Saturday.  Have you ever ridden those roads up there?  It's worth the drive (every now and then on the weekends!). 

I haven't ridden up there yet.  Not any further from my house than going to RCR (I live just north of Hwy90, west of Hwy 85).  Not sure I could do 75miles yet...my longest ride has been 27, but I think I could easily manage 40.  Send me some info and perhaps I can tag along for a portion if you don't mind since I don't have anyone to ride with on Sat.
2010-05-22 9:40 PM
in reply to: #2872922

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner Beckie, hope you had a good ride!

I actually didn't end up going, had a bunch of coaching things to do, then wasn't feeling to well.

But we should definetly plan on going up there one day, I'll show you a few nice roads.  There's a good loop that's my normal ride starting in Holt.  The one in Milton is a good loop as well, but the first and last 5 miles have some heavy traffic.

2010-05-22 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
How's everyone else's weekend going?!  Any issues, concerns?  Hopefully not and hope everyone is getting in some good workouts!
2010-05-22 11:52 PM

User image

, Arizona
Thanks Beckie and TZ for the Florida info! I think I'll just stick to the indoor training and see if I can find a nearby pool. As for the  heat, it's probably going to kill me for outdoor runs. I live in northern Arizona up at 7,000 feet so we don't have the triple digit heat southern Arizona does, anything over 80 is pretty hot to me and that's with almost no humidity, so I'll have to get used to sweating a lot.

As for training this weekend, no training today! I've done a ton of training this past week, mostly biking (bike to work week helped with that!) and logged almost 13 hours of s/b/r since Sunday. Hoping to keep it up at 10+ hours a week for the next couple months and really put in the miles. This week has left me feeling really strong. I've decided to take a break from my martial arts class for a few months to focus on my tri training, I think I can do well (for my age group) at my race but I know I'll really need to commit to my training.

I've got another race I'm going to register for too called Imogene pass, it's a run in Colorado that I've always wanted to do. "The Imogene Pass Run (IPR) is a 17.1 mile point-to-point mountain race within the western San Juan mountains of Colorado, run along a route which connects the towns of Ouray (7810 ft.) and Telluride (8820 ft.) by way of 13,120 foot Imogene Pass." There is huge representation from Flagstaff and I know several people who I can go with, so it should be fun! 
2010-05-23 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2876061

User image

Weekend going pretty alright.
Did a 5k on Sat morning in the rain -- did better than I had lately as I've had a cough for about 2 months, asthma/allergies, happens to me every year -- then broke my car AND my computer (this is my netbook) and was a little annoyed, so once I got to the point where I couldn't fix anything, it was obviously time for some exercise.  I went to the gym (in the rental car) and did some strength and while I was there I saw they  had little TVs on the bike and House was on.  Well, I couldn't turn down House!  So I did  about an hour of unexpected exercise bike time while watching that, watching the rain from indoors.  So, I might get wimp points, but at least I found the unexpected time to do it.  Then today was kinda an off day -- I went out kayaking today for the 1st time this summer.

Oh, and I got my bike fixed last weekend, which gave me so much trouble at the beginning of the month.  Technical analysis - there was "something wrong" with the pedal, so they just replaced it and then it worked great.  Getting ready for a June 6th Sprint race.
2010-05-24 8:06 AM

Panama City Beach, FL
I just love how my weekend plans never go according to plan!!   

Saturday ended up being hectic with my kids, so I didn't get in my planned bike ride.  However, I did swim 12 lengths of my pool on Sunday afternoon, although very badly....but at least it's a start!  My pool is now 85deg and with 95deg outside temp, iit was just about perfect!

I am lifting weights during lunch today and plan to bike 17-20miles after work today.  I need to try and increase my running a tad this week in preparation for my Memorial Day 4.4mile race.  No lofty goals for me...I'd be content to finish in under an hour and I'd be thrilled if I finished under 50minutes....as I've said before, I am s-l-o-w!
2010-05-24 1:44 PM
in reply to: #2870894

User image

Veteran
Had my first tri this past Saturday.  It was a blast and I'm officially hooked.  It was a mini sprint - perfect for first timers like me.  I did much better than I expected.  I intentionally didn't set very lofty goals for my first tri, I didn't want to be too concerned with performance I just wanted to enjoy the race and learn from it.  I did post times that I am very satisfied with though, but left A LOT of room for improvement in the transitions, T1 in particular.  I don't think the forum will allow me to post a link but I did write a race report if anyone is interested. 

Hope everone is doing well.  Good luck beckie in your Memorial Day race, I may have to check if we've got one I can get in.

2010-05-24 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2878581

Panama City Beach, FL

mashmead - 2010-05-24 1:44 PM Had my first tri this past Saturday.  It was a blast and I'm officially hooked.  It was a mini sprint - perfect for first timers like me.  I did much better than I expected.  I intentionally didn't set very lofty goals for my first tri, I didn't want to be too concerned with performance I just wanted to enjoy the race and learn from it.  I did post times that I am very satisfied with though, but left A LOT of room for improvement in the transitions, T1 in particular.  I don't think the forum will allow me to post a link but I did write a race report if anyone is interested. 

Hope everone is doing well.  Good luck beckie in your Memorial Day race, I may have to check if we've got one I can get in.

Curious -- what were? ?y?o?u?r? ?t?i?m?e?s???? ? ??I'm prepping for my very ?f?irst tri on 19 June.??  Any pointers??

2010-05-24 3:55 PM
in reply to: #2879025

User image

Veteran
My race was super short.  250m swim, 8 mile bike and 2 mile run.  My times were 3:52, 25:37 and 13:14, respectively.  Really surprised myself on the swim.  Beware of T1 if you are riding in running shoes with socks.  My dog can put shoes on faster than I did in that transition!
2010-05-25 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2879090

Panama City Beach, FL
mashmead - 2010-05-24 3:55 PM My race was super short.  250m swim, 8 mile bike and 2 mile run.  My times were 3:52, 25:37 and 13:14, respectively.  Really surprised myself on the swim.  Beware of T1 if you are riding in running shoes with socks.  My dog can put shoes on faster than I did in that transition!

That's about the same as my upcoming tri: 200m swim, 8mile bike, 2.5mi run.
I guesstimate that I will have a similar time on the bike based on how I have been riding lately.  My running is really slow...I am predicting I will be just under 30min.  No idea on the swim.
2010-05-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2880480

Panama City Beach, FL
Training Update:

Biked 20miles last night in the icky 95deg heat.  Had several miles of really good times, a few way too slow.  Avg speed over the distance was 16mph

Ran 4.55miles at o'dark-thirty this morning.  Ran 2miles non-stop then took a small walk break.  Ran some more, walked some more, til I got my distance in.  This distance was needed in prep for my Memorial Day race which is 4.4 miles.  I completed my run this morning in 55:12, which tells me that I should be able to finish the race in under 1hr which is my meager goal.
2010-05-25 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2880492

User image

Veteran

Enjoy the race.  I found a 5k this Saturday that I'm going to use as my training run for the weekend.  It's in my neighborhood and I have a run scheduled that day so it's perfect timing.  I was going to run anyways now I get a t-shirt for doing it.  It's been a while since I've done a 5k race but I'm shooting for sub 21:00.  It'd be great if my avg. pace is 6:30. 

2010-05-25 11:44 PM
in reply to: #2880681

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@Mashmead - Good job on your race!  Those are some good times, and looks like everything came together good; you still had a great run time! 

Good luck on the 5k coming up; those are really good for training.  When is your next triathlon?
2010-05-25 11:46 PM
in reply to: #2880492

User image

Veteran
Aurora, Illinois
@Beckie - Make sure your drinking tons of water!  It's getting pretty hot; so I feel your pain in the "icky heat". 

Good luck on the race this weekend.  You got the distance down already, so breaking your hour goal should not be a problem!
2010-05-26 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2882367

Panama City Beach, FL
I'm planning on another 20mile ride this afternoon.  Today I will use my camelback to help with the hydration.  I am still rather tippy on my bike when I let go of the handlebars with one hand...so I haven't managed to grab my water bottle while I am riding yet...if I want a drink, I have to stop and who wants to have to do that??!!??  I'm sure the balance thing will come with time!
2010-05-26 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2882365

User image

Veteran
I just signed up for a sprint on June 26.  I'm also going to start training for an Olympic that's in late Sept which is my "A" race for the season.  I think that's a good goal b/c with a good training plan I think I can do a little better than "just finishing."
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tony Zamora's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9