BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2008-05-03 3:43 AM
in reply to: #1349986

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED
Trina - the website looks great!

Jenni - I know you weren't knocking it really and don't worry about the nerves - I'm sure you do great.

I'm actually quite nervous about it. This is the second one I've done but the first on my own and it is a little daunting. I've got a swim today then I'm going to get all my kit together for tomorrow - just to make sure I don't forget anything!!

2008-05-03 3:48 AM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
All the best for your race tomorrow Kate. And remember above all, have fun.
2008-05-03 4:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
man - looking at some of the training logs it seems like most of you have a race of some kind tomorrow -- GOOD LUCK!! I hope to hear (read) about great things by Monday. (And get lots of tips)
2008-05-03 4:04 PM

Thanks, guys!! I will let you know how the race turns out tomorrow.
2008-05-03 4:04 PM

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
Holy crap you guys .. am I ever stressed out! I have SO MUCH to do and so little time to do it in ... I actually sat down with my schedule last night, trying to figure out my timelines/deadlines for getting it all done - and I might not make it. There is a real risk that I might not be fully certified and licenced to operate by the time my business opens in June. That scares the heck out of me.
I keep telling myself that I CAN get it all done - if all I do is study, prepare assignments, and write papers. If I do nothing else but school work for 8 hours a day for the next 4 weeks, it is possible. But that means no work (only 5 more shifts!) and no training (no!) and no gardening, no socializing ... nothing but study.

I've been working at it as much as I can today, but I'm at work and there's only so much I can do. It's tough to really get into medical studies when you have to answer a pesky phone call every few minutes ... ugh.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better. ;-)

2008-05-03 11:48 PM
in reply to: #1379920

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

SpiritFire - 2008-05-03 4:04 PM Holy crap you guys .. am I ever stressed out! I have SO MUCH to do and so little time to do it in ... I actually sat down with my schedule last night, trying to figure out my timelines/deadlines for getting it all done - and I might not make it. There is a real risk that I might not be fully certified and licenced to operate by the time my business opens in June. That scares the heck out of me. I keep telling myself that I CAN get it all done - if all I do is study, prepare assignments, and write papers. If I do nothing else but school work for 8 hours a day for the next 4 weeks, it is possible. But that means no work (only 5 more shifts!) and no training (no!) and no gardening, no socializing ... nothing but study. I've been working at it as much as I can today, but I'm at work and there's only so much I can do. It's tough to really get into medical studies when you have to answer a pesky phone call every few minutes ... ugh. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better. ;-)

You know I often find that  the more I have to do the more I can do. You'll amaze yourself.

2008-05-04 4:02 PM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Weddings, graduations...

Man, all these plans are getting in the way of my training.

Oh well, soccer match tonight. Really looking forward to it. Should get a few miles running in.
2008-05-04 7:25 PM
in reply to: #1380310

User image

Veteran
Newnan, GA
bondgirl - 2008-05-04 12:48 AM

You know I often find that  the more I have to do the more I can do. You'll amaze yourself.

I couldn't agree more -- it is in the midst of chaos that I am the most motivated (mainly to keep from drowning). Everything will work out - just prioritize and do what it takes to get it done.

Edited by swise 2008-05-04 7:25 PM
2008-05-04 7:55 PM

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria

OK,my weekend update. I have to say that the fun run I did yesterdaywould have to be my worst fun run experience ever. The race itself is one of my favorites but I felt so bad I just had nothing. I ran with a friend and we both had to walk three times and this is unheard of. We usually manage to push each other to amazing results. The entire race was a miserable struggle for both of us. My friend had also been sick during the week and this just proved to her that she probably should have stayed in bed.

My train ride and drive home were nearly as miserable, I ached and was completely spent yet I think this was the worst time I had ever done for this race. I spent the rest of the day eating and by the evening I was actually feeling really good. I had more energy that I had had in ages. So,from this I have concluded that my dismal performance was due to fueling.

I'm so glad I had this experience I have learnt so much. No more dieting for me. Just good sound nutrition and solid consistent, smart training.

Today I'm excited about my next race. With good nutrition and training who know what I can do.

Train smart everyone.

2008-05-04 8:56 PM

Hey folks - here's my weekend update. Did about 50 miles on Saturday with two women from the century team. Did the first half of the course. Some hills, some scary hills, some scary, curvy, windy hills. I survived, thankfully. Today was the biathlon. Not sure of my exact swim or run times since it's a small race and so there were no timing chips. Felt decent in the pool; run had some very hard sections in the woods - very hilly and lots of rocks/uneven terrain. Fun little race though. Then I went and did another 3.5 miles, since a 7-miler was originally on tap today, in my pre-marathon-training training plan

I am quite sore now and probably will be so tomorrow, so I will most likely just swim tomorrow and let my legs recover a bit

2008-05-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1381155

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-04 8:56 PM

Hey folks - here's my weekend update. Did about 50 miles on Saturday with two women from the century team. Did the first half of the course. Some hills, some scary hills, some scary, curvy, windy hills. I survived, thankfully. Today was the biathlon. Not sure of my exact swim or run times since it's a small race and so there were no timing chips. Felt decent in the pool; run had some very hard sections in the woods - very hilly and lots of rocks/uneven terrain. Fun little race though. Then I went and did another 3.5 miles, since a 7-miler was originally on tap today, in my pre-marathon-training training plan

I am quite sore now and probably will be so tomorrow, so I will most likely just swim tomorrow and let my legs recover a bit

Sound like a very successful weekend for you. Fantastic about the ride. Keep that up and you'll feel better about it in no time.

2008-05-05 10:09 AM

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
Hope everyone had a good weekend!
2008-05-05 10:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Well the race went well but I'm still frustrated by the lack of results - I think my overall time was 53 minutes 32s by the information I could find out on the day but my watch recorded it as about 1hr 4 minutes and I had 7 min 49s on the swim whereas they had over 9 minutes. Hopefully the results will be posted on line soon and I can check them against my own measurements.

If the results above are to be believed I came 70th - there were just over 100 entered in the race and some no shows but it looks like I didn't finish last - which was better that I hoped for! My swim went really well and I over took everyone in the lane (and lapped some) and the cycle was good - apart from a couple of dodgy gear changes, the last of which meant my chain came off. A couple of expletives and an oily hand later and I was underway. The run was a struggle - I only managed to get into my stride in the last 1Km and it never felt comfortable - then again it was longer than the last one I did. All in all I finished and felt much better throughout than the last one. I'm so happy to have finished x lots

Now comes the build up to the 10k which to me, a really poor runner, is the biggest challenge I've ever faced.
2008-05-05 10:27 AM
in reply to: #1382002

Kate_r - 2008-05-05 11:22 AM Well the race went well but I'm still frustrated by the lack of results - I think my overall time was 53 minutes 32s by the information I could find out on the day but my watch recorded it as about 1hr 4 minutes and I had 7 min 49s on the swim whereas they had over 9 minutes. Hopefully the results will be posted on line soon and I can check them against my own measurements. If the results above are to be believed I came 70th - there were just over 100 entered in the race and some no shows but it looks like I didn't finish last - which was better that I hoped for! My swim went really well and I over took everyone in the lane (and lapped some) and the cycle was good - apart from a couple of dodgy gear changes, the last of which meant my chain came off. A couple of expletives and an oily hand later and I was underway. The run was a struggle - I only managed to get into my stride in the last 1Km and it never felt comfortable - then again it was longer than the last one I did. All in all I finished and felt much better throughout than the last one. I'm so happy to have finished x lots Now comes the build up to the 10k which to me, a really poor runner, is the biggest challenge I've ever faced.

Sounds god! When is your 10K? The best thing you can do is set a definite plan and follow that plan - try not to skip any runs, even if you have to move them around a bit, depending on your schedule. That worked for me with the 10-Miler and I'm not a runner, do not have a background in running at all.

2008-05-05 11:06 AM
in reply to: #1382011

User image

Master
Victoria, BC
To all that raced this weekend - EXCELLENT JOB!! .. you all should be very proud. ;-)
2008-05-05 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Chrissy - the 10k's on the 18th May. I'm following the beginners schedule and have incoporated it into the couch to sprint tri schedule that I'm following for the other two - it's making it a little packed but I seem to be imptoving.

2008-05-05 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1382214

Kate_r - 2008-05-05 12:44 PM Chrissy - the 10k's on the 18th May. I'm following the beginners schedule and have incoporated it into the couch to sprint tri schedule that I'm following for the other two - it's making it a little packed but I seem to be imptoving.

Ah, okay. Well, good luck then!

2008-05-05 10:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

I'm back!  Phew.  Feeling better.  The day off and the long weekend helped me get over my cold.   

TRINA- Your website is beautiful.  Good luck with your new business.    I think you'll do GREAT!

At work so I can't talk much... Will comment a bit later. 

2008-05-06 2:07 AM
in reply to: #1383830

User image

Expert
Eltham North, Victoria
light_sabe_r - 2008-05-05 10:19 PM

I'm back!  Phew.  Feeling better.  The day off and the long weekend helped me get over my cold.   

TRINA- Your website is beautiful.  Good luck with your new business.    I think you'll do GREAT!

At work so I can't talk much... Will comment a bit later. 

Glad your ok. Good to have you back.

2008-05-06 5:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Brisbane QLD

Thanks Tammie! 

Now my mentees!  I can't wait to read all those race reports when your results come out!    

Few comments: 

JENNI!!!  You're a freaking triathlete!  And not just a triathlete people... She's a FIRST PLACED AGE GROUPER!  Now that's something to be proud of!   Like you said in your blog.  The only way is up right?    You've got a pretty good place to start from let me tell ya! 

Tammie you've been sick recently too!  I'm glad you raced on the weekend but it's a shame it was so hard.  Sounds like you hit the wall a few times out there.   As for your time - WOW!   

KATE!  WELL DONE as well!  You had a GREAT swim by the sounds of things and more importantly you kept your cool when you lost your chain!  What's a greasy hand in the grand scheme of a race!  Hell you could have been like stormin' Norman at the 2005 Ironman and chucked a nah-nah about it.  Looking forward to seeing your report and your official result!  Yup you didn't come last!  (always an achievement!

I'm glad you've got a 10km goal as well.  (EEEEEEEEP)  

Chrissy!  Another great race for you too!  You've posted a fantastic swim time and put in two really solid runs!  You should be really proud of your race result (esp of beating the other girl in your lane!  hee hee hee.)  

It's amazing how we target other people in our races!  I had a great battle on the bike with White shirt girl at Raby and when she blasted past me on the run I then was dueling with 2XU girl! 

I guess I target other people in my category or wave because They're on a similar level to me and I'm just trying to beat myself! Rilvalry - It's a great weapon

2008-05-06 3:33 PM

User image

Colorado
Congrats Jenni!  I have so much catching up to do……

Today is my first hopefully full day of consciousness, so I thought I’d try to check in.  I only got my left kidney biopsied as the ultrasound showed that my right kidney was quite wrecked…mostly an infected lump of calcified scar tissue is what was left of it.  Fortunately my left kidney is fairly healthy and is currently working on picking up the slack…if you can call it that.  Seems like the right one couldn’t have been doing much?  I am tired.  Very tired.  I get tired just walking to the bathroom.  I am thankful there is a place to sit and rest once I get there  (At least I can go there today!)

Good news:  Kidneys may be removed laparoscopically rather than having your whole side cut open now.  Of the four scars left from it (5 if you count the one from the biopsy of my left kidney), only one is new—the other three I already had from my tubal ligation. 
Bad news:  Well, training won’t be so much for awhile seeing as I’m going to have to build up to going for a decent walk.  Worst is that I am out of work for 4 weeks, which I just can’t afford.  I’m trying to see if there’s anything I can do from home—like I can barely walk myself to the bathroom…yeah, right! I’m supposed to relax and take it easy, but I’m just stressing as I don’t know how to make ends meet.  I was laid off in late 2006 for 5 months and we had to liquidate everything then to try to keep the house.
From all the testing over the last few months they decided to induce menopause—so that is drug #3 with the listed side effect of :  weight gain (rapid)    It appears that I’m having some estrogen surges causing the Lupus flares so that is what will be happening just as soon as I recover from the nephrectomy.  I think I covered it all…….

I’m really glad for BT.  I’ve seen people disappear from BT and I don’t want to just disappear.  I am determined to catch up to my invisible friends here and I will do a triathlon yet!   (Then again I am on pain killers and may not be thinking so clearly )

I hope everyone is doing well today.  Cheers!

Edited by AndriaLL 2008-05-06 3:46 PM

2008-05-06 3:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Well the results are in and my total time was 1 hr 5 minutes and 51s I placed 70 out of 83 overall, was 20th for the swim, 55th for the bike and a miserable 78th for the run. I'm not disheartened though I made it to the end, I did really well on the swim and cycle and to be honest I couldn't have managed that run at that space as little as less than 4 months ago so in my book I rock!

There's an official race report on the reports page for anyone who cares to take a look.

So how's everyone else doing and what have you planned for the rest of the week?

Also, anyone got any ideas of what I need to do to improve my running? At the moment I've been going at a steady pace and gradually increasing the time but I'm not sure if I should be focussing on something specific?

Thanks
2008-05-06 3:35 PM

Hey folks - how is everyone doing so far this week? Any grandiose plans? I am doing another 50-mile ride on Saturday morning, and then two of my friends (one is a distance-runner-turned-triathlete and the other is a distance runner who hates triathlons) are putting together a hash run that evening I think we are only having one beer stop and there will be water/soda for those who don't want beer. Beer will mostly be afterwards
2008-05-06 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1385481

Kate_r - 2008-05-06 4:34 PM Well the results are in and my total time was 1 hr 5 minutes and 51s I placed 70 out of 83 overall, was 20th for the swim, 55th for the bike and a miserable 78th for the run. I'm not disheartened though I made it to the end, I did really well on the swim and cycle and to be honest I couldn't have managed that run at that space as little as less than 4 months ago so in my book I rock! There's an official race report on the reports page for anyone who cares to take a look. So how's everyone else doing and what have you planned for the rest of the week? Also, anyone got any ideas of what I need to do to improve my running? At the moment I've been going at a steady pace and gradually increasing the time but I'm not sure if I should be focussing on something specific? Thanks

Run more

PS, I was 109th out of 116 overall for women, in my first triathlon. MOP in the swim (great), but DFL in bike in my AG and second to DFL on the bike overall. It gets better

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-05-06 3:38 PM
2008-05-06 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1385492

User image

Colorado
wurkit_gurl - 2008-05-06 2:36 PM

Kate_r - 2008-05-06 4:34 PM Well the results are in and my total time was 1 hr 5 minutes and 51s I placed 70 out of 83 overall, was 20th for the swim, 55th for the bike and a miserable 78th for the run. I'm not disheartened though I made it to the end, I did really well on the swim and cycle and to be honest I couldn't have managed that run at that space as little as less than 4 months ago so in my book I rock! There's an official race report on the reports page for anyone who cares to take a look. So how's everyone else doing and what have you planned for the rest of the week? Also, anyone got any ideas of what I need to do to improve my running? At the moment I've been going at a steady pace and gradually increasing the time but I'm not sure if I should be focussing on something specific? Thanks

Run more

PS, I was 109th out of 116 overall for women, in my first triathlon. MOP in the swim (great), but DFL in bike in my AG and second to DFL on the bike overall. It gets better

Sorry, I'm not up on my acronyms and my brain is a little slow--what does MOP and DFL stand for? 

Kate--looks like a great swim to me!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » light_sabe_r's group is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23