of 23

2009-02-06 5:07 AM
in reply to: #1861022

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group- CLOSED

It's 4:00 AM in Boise.....

If treadmills can be called 'dread'mills, and indoor trainers; 'drain'ers.  Is it OK to call my rollers, 'droll'ers?  Webster says....droll (adj); Whimsically comical or amusingly odd.  My 7 yr old daughter thinks it's amusingly odd that I ride my bike, but don't go anywhere.   Thoughts/comments............

Hope everyone has a nice weekend.  I'm off the grid until Tuesday.  Skiing, cycling, running, swimming and if I can convince my GF, (perhaps) pizza.  Innocent

2009-02-06 8:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I am dropping off until Monday- Mike has been out of town at a conference; we are meeting up this evening in Cincinnati to spend the weekend celebrating my nephew's first birthday. And our plan tonight definitely involves pizza! Good luck Jeff on getting some pizza.

Word is the weather is supposed to be in the 50s, so we are hoping to fit in some running time tomorrow morning.

Matt, the swim plan sounds good. Make sure you are doing lots of stretching- you are shaping up to be a pretty intense athlete, and remind me a lot of Mike....the intensity and dedication are fantastic- we just want to prevent overuse injuries.

Everyone have a good weekend!
2009-02-06 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1948594

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

AKR18 - 2009-02-06 8:18 AM I am dropping off until Monday- Mike has been out of town at a conference; we are meeting up this evening in Cincinnati to spend the weekend celebrating my nephew's first birthday. And our plan tonight definitely involves pizza! Good luck Jeff on getting some pizza. Word is the weather is supposed to be in the 50s, so we are hoping to fit in some running time tomorrow morning. Matt, the swim plan sounds good. Make sure you are doing lots of stretching- you are shaping up to be a pretty intense athlete, and remind me a lot of Mike....the intensity and dedication are fantastic- we just want to prevent overuse injuries. Everyone have a good weekend!

I just started pilates.  It's helping me stretch muscles that I didn't know that I had!  It's actually a great deal for us.  We have a friend that is a certified pilates instructor.  My wife is tutoring her son in math.  The ladies worked out a deal where payment for the tutoring is a weekly private pilates class in our living room!  We've been supplementing that with a dvd that we have each night.  After just a few sessions, I'm feeling the benefits already.

Edited by scout21 2009-02-06 9:51 AM
2009-02-08 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Matt, that is fantastic! I love a good trade. And keep up the good work on the pilates.

I did not do any workouts Friday through Today. Lots of running around chasing children- we had 5 children under the age of 3 staying in one house. CRAZY. Lots of good food, a nice piece of birthday cake, and - fianlly- home for some good sleep time.

Looking forward to some good training this week. It's time for me to start researching training plans for my first race. Anyone else at this point? I normally like a 20 week plan versus 16...we'll see what I find.
2009-02-09 2:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Those days off were just what my legs needed! Great ride on the trainers in the basement- some good intervals and then a quick core workout.

Started my training plan research and I'm thinking I might do a run focused sprint plan...All 3 of my races will be sprints this year. I'm just not sure I am psychologically ready to do an Olympic, but at the same time, I'm looking at the sprint training plan and feeling like it's too easy. I guess I have to change my focus from just completing my workouts, like I did last year, to increasing my speed? I don't know. I asked Mike to help me out a bit. I know I can do slow and steady....but that certainly is not a sprint plan.
2009-02-09 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Even though you're only planning to do sprints, why not do an oly plan?  Who knows, maybe towards the end of the season you'll feel ready for an oly?  The longer training might help your sprint times....

I did something similar with a running race.  Even though I scrapped my plans for a 10 mile race in May and replaced it with a sprint, I was doing a 1/2 mary running plan.  I figure if you start early enough, longer just might be better in this circumstance.  I kept with the plan as a way to safely increase my mileage.  That can only help my 5K and 10K times.

Matt

2009-02-09 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

I agree with Matt, I plan on only doing a sprint tri this year, but I'm probably going to train with a run focused Oly plan.  Mostly because my running will be fairly high mileage by the time I'm ready to start training for the tri (after running the 1/2 mary) and I don't want to cut my mileage back too much.

I'm back did you guys miss me ?    Colorado was beautiful it was 7 degrees here in Ohio when we left and we had 40 - 50 degree weather in Colorado all week with sunshine.  I came back with a nice tan on my face.  And it's now about 50 degrees here in Ohio too.  Can't beat that.

Had hoped to get right back into my training plan, but work has me swamped today and I started coming down with a cold yesterday.  I'm planning on going home and straight to bed tonight.  Hopefully I'll feel better tomorrow.  I started my training fairly early so I would have plenty of time for some pit falls, hopefully this won't be too much of a set back.

2009-02-10 7:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Ginny- colds stink. I woke up sick today; a cold/fever/chills/achy combo we picked up this weekend at my nephew's party. Fun times. Get better soon....my plan today is survival. I don't get sick days, and there HAS to be a grocery store trip today, and a toddler must be taken care of.

I'm postponing any training plan reasearch until I feel better.
2009-02-10 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Anne - Rest well...being sick sucks!

2009-02-10 7:13 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann, hope you are feeling better. 

Research the training plans on this site but remember that they might not meet your needs and are just a guideline.  If all else fails, use the running theory of increasing 10% per week with every 4th week as an easy week to let your body recover.  That theory carries over to the swim and the bike too.  Just remember that you need to take an easy week in all of the disciplines.

In Michigan, we have a BT trainerfest that rotates houses.  I am going this weekend, it will be my first.  There were 20+ BT'ers who went to the first.  I was called out by my Michigan peeps.  They aren't letting me wallow in my stress anymore.  My neighbor also challenged me to do a 4 mile run with her on March 15.  I guess I have to get back to serious training.  

2009-02-10 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Glad everyone is doing well.

Anne, Rest easy.  I know all too well how taxing raising the little ones can be.  When they get older,  they tax you more mentally/emotionally than physically.  I don't know which I prefer.

Matt, I think you should consider slacking off a bit more so the training gap between you and I isn't quite so intimidating.  Seriously-all things in moderation.  It's a long season and you want to be fresh.  I like your willingness to try alot of different type of workouts-I've never even considered pilates.

Ginny, Welcome back. 

Jo, Wow! 20 something BTers in a training ride.  That's impressive motivation considering it's sooo cold out there.

Best to all the other Fancy Pants.

Edited by jeffnboise 2009-02-12 5:58 AM

2009-02-11 11:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I'm Back!

Looking forward to getting a ride in down in the basement during naptime.

Rested all day yesterday (well, as much as one can rest with a toddler). Just glad to be feeling better.

It's warm here but raining buckets! So, we have all the snow that melted this weekend, and now all this rain- hello, flooding. I'm happy my house is on a hill!

I would consider running this evening if I had time. Unfortunately, I have choir practice, and must go since I bailed the last two weeks.

Jo- and everyone- thanks for the training plan tips. Mike thinks I should just do an Oly training plan....but secretly I'm pretty sure he just wants me to be an addicted athlete like him. I may just adapt a sprint plan and make it run focused to work on my speed. I'm slow....really slow.

Hoping to get some time later to check on everyone's training logs. Have a great day!
2009-02-13 5:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Our Pool is closed. Pump broken.

I'm stuck home until Tuesday- our big dog had surgery and things did not go quite as planned; he has a drain in one of the areas where a tumor was removed, and it needs care, and I have to be here to make sure he does not chew the drain out because he freaks out when they put the big sattellite collar on him.
2009-02-13 6:13 AM
in reply to: #1960152

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

AKR18 - 2009-02-13 5:07 AM Our Pool is closed. Pump broken. I'm stuck home until Tuesday- our big dog had surgery and things did not go quite as planned; he has a drain in one of the areas where a tumor was removed, and it needs care, and I have to be here to make sure he does not chew the drain out because he freaks out when they put the big sattellite collar on him.

That sucks about the pool and your furry little buddy....

>>>>>>  Healing vibes on their way to your dog!

Have a great weekend everyone and train hard!

Scout

2009-02-13 6:54 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho
Have a great weekend, y'all.  I'm off to Oregon for some snowshoeing and skiing. 
2009-02-13 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Central Ohio

Hope your dog heals well.  Poor guy.

I'm still trying to get completely well.  Feel much better today, probably going to take it easy as far as training though.  I want to get completely back to it next week.  hoping another day of going easy on myself will get me totally healed up.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.  (Long one for me, skiing on Monday with my youngest again) Talk with you soon.

2009-02-14 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Our big sweet dog is recovering- just needs babysitting because he has a drain until Tuesday.

Girl Scout Cookies also arrive Tuesday- I'm the cookie Mom- thankfully I already plan on gaining back 2 pounds upon their arrival.

Hope everyone had a great weekend! No swim here for us- pool pump still broken; might get fixed Sunday.
2009-02-14 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Was planning an early bike ride before church tomorrow, but it's snowing now, and riding outside in the morning might not be a smart move.  The pool at the Y isn't open until 10ish on Sundays, and we're taking the boy to see the Pink Panther tomorrow afternoon, so it looks like tomorrow might be a rest day...There's always Monday for a lunch time ride!

Matt

On edit - overslept for church, so I did manage to get in a swim this morning.  Lot's and lots of TI drills....they are helping...

Edited by scout21 2009-02-15 10:59 AM
2009-02-15 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Ann-hope your furry son is recovering well.  The pool pump thing sucks but at least they'll get it fixed and the water will be great when you get back in.

Jeff have fun in Oregon.

Welcome back scubagirl.  I wish it were still 50 degrees here but back to snow and freezing temps.  It sure was a tease for those of us in Ohio and Michigan.

Scout-nice swim today.  Way to make the best out of oversleeping!

As for me, I met with a personal trainer.  She is on the forum as Trixie.  It was great.  I really need to work on my core and my arms.  My swim coach is always lecturing me to use weights to build my biceps and triceps if I ever want to get faster.  It was just an intro session.  I am looking forward to my weight workouts this week.  

Check out my trainer's abs at www.gotrixie.com.  I've never seen anyone as sculpted as her. 

2009-02-16 11:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Jo, Normally I'd check out those abs, but since Girl Scout Cookies arrive tomorrow (over 2,000 boxes will be at my house for our brownie troop)- I think I will have to wait until I've eaten myself sick and get back into Weight Watchers full time.

The big dog is still recovering- he gets his drain out tomorrow early in the morning, then hopefully he will rest in my room (away from all the crazy girl scout moms that are coming to help sort cookie orders).

Tuesday is normally my swim day, but I guess I will have to push it to Wednesday. We will see if I manage to fit any workout in tomorrow- looks to be a crazy day.

Keep us posted, Jo, on the workouts with your trainer. Everyone else, have a great Monday!
2009-02-17 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Anne - How's the pooch?

Does anyone have any good tips for keeping your toes warm on a bike ride when the temp is in the low 30s/high 20's?  I don't really want to go to the bike shop and buy a pair of neoprene booties.  Anyone have anything cheap and effective?

Matt

2009-02-17 9:02 PM

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Matt, Real 'old school' is to put sandwich baggies over your socks, then put shoes on.  OR, if you have some old wool socks with holes in the heel, cut the toes off and pull them over your cycling shoes (you'll need a strap to keep them on).  Or try neophrene socks. 

But owning booties totally rules.

2009-02-18 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1967490

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA
jeffnboise - 2009-02-17 9:02 PM

Matt, Real 'old school' is to put sandwich baggies over your socks, then put shoes on.  OR, if you have some old wool socks with holes in the heel, cut the toes off and pull them over your cycling shoes (you'll need a strap to keep them on).  Or try neophrene socks. 

But owning booties totally rules.

I just checked the performance page and they happen to be on sale....I guess I'll be taking a run over there at lunch time today...

2009-02-18 12:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I vote for the booties, and something warm to drink post-ride. I am a big chicken and do not ride in cold temps. Mike has some wool blend bike socks, but 30 is even too cold for him to ride. Let us know how yhe booties work for you.

Spent yesterday loading, unloading, sorting, and storing over 2000 boxes of Girl Scout Cookies yesterday. Today is day 2 of parents picking them up, and naturally Sophie is not cooperating with a nap at an appropriate time, so no ride for me. All the running around and up and down stairs with cases of cookies yesterday was murder on my legs and back, so I guess a day off is not so bad.

The big dog got his drain out yesterday morning- yuck. I am supposed to keep cleaning the wound with Hydrogen Peroxide so it can still drain (all over my house- GROSS). He gets his stitches out a week from tomorrow. No results on his biopsy yet.

Swim planned for tomorrow, a short run and short bike for Friday, and some long workouts this weekend. I MUST pick a training plan, soon!

Hope everyone is having a good week! Matt, you are one brave dude to ride in cold temps.
2009-02-18 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1968676

User image

Extreme Veteran
West Chester, PA

Got my booties...now just need a dry day to ride!

Anne - Want us to pick a plan for you?  How many MPW do you run and ride typically?  We'll go easy on you....promise!  Wink

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group- CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23