BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2009-01-20 8:10 AM
in reply to: #1884714

User image

Veteran
nearby the city of brotherly love
Subject: RE: Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL

Morning ladies Smile

Did my first brick of the year this morning--30 minutes on the bike and a one mile run (which i'm sure in a few months from now will seem like a rest day....).  It was a nice 15F this morning-ugh.

Krista, I've actually got the book that Tami mentioned, and don't much use it anymore--if you'd like I could send it off to you--just let me know.  I've also found a few meat-alternatives that are packed with protien--one being a macrobiotic mix from Whole Foods Supermarket (called Smart Grounds--i think the brand is from Lightlife?).  Packs 12g protein per serving!

2009-01-20 8:11 AM
in reply to: #1895127

New user

Subject: RE: Tami's Group - OPEN

Hi everyone!  I'm back from RnR Phoenix.  It was a rough race and definitely my least favorite of the ones I've run.  I typically run around 2:00-2:05, but this time I came in at 2:12.  My triathlon training partner typically runs about 2:20 and this time she ran 2:40.  It was weird, I regularly run 10+ miles for my long runs and by mile 5 of the race I felt like  I was going to collapse. 

I did the half since I just ran a full in Sacramanto last month and didn't feel up to the challenge of another full.  It was so darn hot--about 15 degrees higher than normal.  I also think the half marathon doesn't have the same excitement (bands, crowd support, cheering, etc) as the full marathon, which is disappointing.  The water stations weren't as frequent as we were originally told and many of the water stations were empty as the volunteers couldn't pour the water as fast as the participants were drinking it.  If I go back to Phoenix for a rnr, I will definitely do the full marathon.   I've run the full rock and roll marathon in San Diego and it was amazing so it was hard for me since I constantly compared the two.  Tami--how did your friend do?  Did she enjoy herself?  I think rock and roll marathons are the best for first timers. 

lb22--you are so right.  This race was promoted as a flat race and I swear I was going uphill the entire time, or at least until mile 12 or so.  Anyway, enough complaining.  I swear I'm not typically this picky about races, but for the price and when compared to San Diego, it just wasn't that good.

As far as nutrition, I don't focus on this as much for half marathons as I do for fulls.  I try to increase my carb intake about 3 days before the race.  The day before the race I try to stay very hydrated, switching off between cytomax or powerade and water.  For recovery I've pickd up some tips and tricks from my running group.  As much as it hurts to do it, I take an icebath whenever I run more than 13 miles.  I swear my muscles see complete relief if I go this route.  I also swear by Recoverite by Heed.  I take two scoops with water within 45 minutes of my run and I feel so much better the following day because of it.  I highly recommend this product if you get aches and pains.

Tami--I can't wait to check out your site.  That sounds like a great idea.  I have a similar, smaller company for running that I run with a friend and fellow runner, but it won't be up and running until next month.  It's been in the works for a while, I just haven't had the chance to get the site up.  Anyway, great idea!  I'll check it out.

Sounds like everyone had a great weekend full of workouts.  I'm currently lazily typing from bed while my husband busts his butt at the gym.  I blame it on the one hour time change!  Laughing

2009-01-20 9:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Marissa - Great job on the race. I give credit to anyone who even attempts a half marathon or full marathon. For now I am sticking to my nice 5k races and starting to get into 10k.

Niki - Way to go on your first brick. your right that will seem like an easy day after a while.

2009-01-20 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1917381

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

I am a female 5'4'' 130 or so depending on the time of day. I have been aiming for 1500-1600 calories a day. Perhaps I should think about eating a little more.

Breakfast is oatmeal (calories 160), cream for coffee (50) Throughout the day I eat some pistachios (70), yogurt (80), small lunch (200-300), small smoothie or piece of fruit (150), somedays I eat string cheese (60) usually leaving about 700 for dinner which I usually have some pasta, chicken and a veggie in reasonable portions with 12 oz of skim milk (135). I can stick to this fairly well during the week but not as easily on the weekends.

I would be interest in hearing Tami's thoughts on the %'s. I haven't been tracking this as much as actual calorie count. I don't eat red meat at all really. Most of the fat I eat comes from cheese. I mean I do live in Wisconsin!

2009-01-20 6:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Sorry for the delayed response - busy day at work!

At 5'4 you are in your "ideal weight range". To estimate your daily caloric needs take roughly 13 calories / pound of body weight on a non-exercise day and when you workout for 1 hour, you will need approx. 16 calories / pound of body weight. 1-2 hours of exercise, 21 calories / pound of body weight. Several hours of exercise? 27ish calories / pound of body weight.

Another way is to calculate your caloric expenditure for whatever exercise you are doing....for me, 140ish pounds, I burn 10 calories / minute swimming 50 yards / minute, about 10 calories / minute running and about 12-13 calories / minute cycling.

So I eat quite a bit more on workout days than non-workout days.

Mix between protein/carbs/fat?

For training - this is what I go by (or, at least try.....it's NOT easy)

Carbs = 3-4 hours mod/high intensity = 5 grams/pound
1.5 - 3 hours mod/high intensity = 4 grams/pound
1 hour or less = 2.5 grams/pound

Protein = aim for .5 - .75 grams/pound

Fat = moderate training .5 grams/pound
endurance lasting over 4 hours = .5 - .55 grams/pound

So - it's a lot of math and planning. Nutrition is definitely one of the disciplines of triathlon along with swim, bike, run, time management....then nutrition

It's one area that I have for one of my goals for this year - better nutrition while training (figuring out what "sits" well and provides the energy needed to complete the race/training), as well as nutrition for recovery etc. I need to study more - which I'm doing, just a TON of information out there to sort out....

Does this help? To obscure? I keep spreadsheets to help me out...I hope that someday it's second nature...
2009-01-20 8:18 PM
in reply to: #1919053

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

This is very helpful. Thank you. Where are you taking the nutrition certification course?

Also, how do I access other people's training logs? I don't have a paid membership with BT, do I need one, do others have the paid membership? If, so is it helpful?

2009-01-20 9:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I am not a paid member and have access to other peoples logs.

You need to add them as a friend through the control panel. Also make sure that you have as a setting (also in the control panel) that friends can access your logs.
2009-01-20 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
tami - that is great info. My brain is a bit too tired tonight to take it all in. I know I try to eat right, and I know that nutrition is the 4th component of the sport but weighting and measuring everything I eat and counting calories is a bit much for me at this point. Some of my friends as it is thing I don't eat enough cause I actually eat proper portion sizes. Others say i eat too much just because I am always eating -as they say feeding my tapeworm. However I am eating fruits and vegetables. I gotta eat the every 3- 4 hours when exercising every day otherwise I get hungry.

Not much to write about today as I took a day off. YEAH for day offs. I literally stayed in bed for 2 hours not moving watching the biggest loser. I was going to do core stuff on the commercials but my body wanted none of that tonight - so I listened.

I am off to bed soon. Not only is it a day off, but it is going to be a night of a good sleep.

Talk to you all tomorrow.
2009-01-20 9:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

peanut- you are a "friend"in my logs, so just go to control panel, and search for lb22....you'll find me 

Tami's right--nutrition is the fourth leg of a triathlon.  Once you start doing 2-a-days, 3 hour bike rides, longer distance races, it really pays to track your caloric intake. I used a formula before my first half-ironman (austin '07) and totally calculated too many calories. Last year -HIM #2, I had stomach cramps the whole bike ride and blamed it on PMS.....it was HORRIBLE!  The last HIM last year, I cut back my calories and I felt great the whole day.

I've never seen a doc on blood sugar/sodium, but I have read enough to know that I have issues with blood sugar levels as well as sodium (not enough).  So figuring out when to take those fun gus/gels so not to spike or drop the sugar too much was sooo much fun!  During marathon training, I finally figured out one morning, it wasn't the running I was hating/causing the negative views,,,it was blood sugar.  After I monitored it more closely, I did a lot better job of mantaining a positive attitude through my races.

So yes--Tami is 100% right..there is so much out there to read and learn.  But remember to log your own expierences so that you know YOUR body.  

hah- on a fun note, if anyone has spare time to kill and needs a good laugh...check out my race reports from Longhorn HIM, High CLiff HIM ("the PMS ride" and Steelhead.  My friends think I think too much...... and you get to look at my creative nutrition

2009-01-20 9:40 PM
in reply to: #1919398

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

mellymedic - 2009-01-20 9:27 PM  Some of my friends as it is thing I don't eat enough cause I actually eat proper portion sizes. Others say i eat too much just because I am always eating -as they say feeding my tapeworm. However I am eating fruits and vegetables. I gotta eat the every 3- 4 hours when exercising 

ditto...best when eat 3-4 hours and focus on veggies,  

Hope you enjoyed your day off!

2009-01-21 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
I have found nutrition SO DIFFICULT. I do fairly well during the actual even - but it's just regular day to day eating. I cannot have BAD food in the house as I'm not good at moderation (hence my Ironman fetish - why go short? lol).

Water too - I didn't really touch on that. Your body is comprised of 60% water. That's alot. So - a 150 pound person? 90 pounds of water. Yes - a lot. Again - another weakness of mine....but I find I do better with the water intake by carrying around a water bottle (just a water bottle that I'd have on my bike) and just by having it near me, makes me drink more water.

To answer another question - I'm taking the certification courses through AFPA (Association of Fitness Professionals). They are accredited by just about everyone. I did a TON of research. Knowing that I want to make a career change, knowing that I didn't want to go back to college as I've already completed a B.S. and MBA....I decided that a certification should be more than enough. I am working on two certifications....Nutrition & Wellness Consultant followed by Sports Nutrition Consultant. Whew. This will then role up into my www.steadystatesports.com site as another offering.

2009-01-21 2:36 PM

User image

Veteran

Guilty--I've struggled so much with nutrition for triathlons---i started tracking my nutrition online here, and found that on regular days, (last year and right now) I eat about 1300-1500 calories (nutrition log is missing some snacks in there.....and on days I workout, the numbers rarely change--I'm only 5/2, 125lbs, and for me, i feel like i just can't fit all the calories I'm supposed to in a day. 

Last year, training for a half was hard because of the nutrition--my stomach could not take in more than 1500 cals a day--tried to, but most times ended up feeling really sick.  I started to try and eat more protein and fat toward the end of the training, just to keep my weight up.  After the race (here's wher it gets funny) I packed on a good 10 lbs while still eating the same amount of calories (less fat). Lesson learned!! This year, i'll be keeping some strict tabs on snacks to eat once the training gets up there in the hours logged.

2009-01-21 2:40 PM

User image

Veteran
I feel like a GIANT compared to you mini people lol 5'8 and 140ish (different weight everyday).
2009-01-21 2:46 PM

User image

New York, NY
It sounds like everyone has unique issues when it comes to diet and nutrition! I'm shocked for those of you that can only eat 1500 calories a day. I eat very health (mix of fruits veggies, proteins, etc.) and I rarely feel satisifed at that amount AND I'm training less!

Tami - Your calculations did sound like a better gauge of what I should be eating and the numbers where I am more fulfilled.

I track my eating on www.thedailyplate.com. It is a great, free tool and has a huge database of foods (plus you can add anything you don't find)!

Next question, what type of swim workouts do you do in the pool? Swimming is my strongest sport but I'm not sure how to structure the workouts to get the most benefit for tri-training. Also, for my husband swimming is his most challanging sport so I would be interested in the training programs for all ranges of ability! Thanks!
2009-01-21 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Check out the workouts that I do....you can trim them to whatever your goal is...

The majority of each swim workout should be drilling - not just straight swimming.

I love the pool.....
2009-01-21 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR NICKI! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

2009-01-21 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1921191

User image

Veteran

Tamio - 2009-01-21 6:10 PM HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR NICKI! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!

hahahaha!! thanks! i'm not counting any birthday cake calories in the nutrition log today....Innocent

2009-01-21 6:32 PM
in reply to: #1920720

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL

Tamio - 2009-01-21 2:40 PM I feel like a GIANT compared to you mini people lol 5'8 and 140ish (different weight everyday).

DITTO!!!! I am 5'8 with weight ranging from 148 (race weight) to 157ish (currently, I think).  Although when I crank up the workouts and start the HIM program in Feb, I will be hovering 150-152ish.  One of my goals is to get into the lower 140's, but I always seem tohit the 148 wall.  

Although, I have made changes to my diet in the last 2 years and I am in the process of making more (baby steps). Last year it was cutting out white-flour based food, adding more veggies, and red meat only every 2 weeks max (or post race). 

Goal is to be that slim, tone, I want-those-biceps chick at age 40.  (Happy b-day Nikki---I wish I was 30 again!)

Swimming---if you are looking at shorter than IM swims.....you can use some structure as Tami, just cut back distance.  Swim workouts are much like bike and run---in all three you need "speed/tempo", "endurance" and "recovery" workouts.  (And in all 3 you need to do drills....more in swimming than the other sports). One of my favorite speeds for OLY/HIM distance was:

warm up--100-200

10x100 "sprints"

cool-down--100-200

2009-01-21 7:14 PM
in reply to: #1921231

User image

Regular
Madison, WI

Happy Birthday! Birthday cake has no calories!

Today during my workout, short bike, my legs felt like they each weighed 100 lbs so it wasn't too successful. Also, I was hungry ALL DAY, not kidding. I think i at the whole day basically. Nothing too horrible except a small kit kat.

I think i need to incorporate more veggies. What kind of low maintence veggies do you all eat during the day at work? carrots? salads seem high maintence to me at work at least

2009-01-21 8:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
I love cherry bombs, sliced up green peppers, and hmmmmm.    I am also rying to figure this one out. I am soooo sick of baby carrotts and celery.
2009-01-21 9:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
good evening everyone,

I had a crappy day at work today. There was pretty much a city wide power failure today for almost 2 hours today. but that wasn't even the worse part of my day. At one point I was thinking that I wanted to leave and to go and workout to blow off steam. Unfortunately I was stuck there for another 3 - 4 hours.

I got a good run in today - outdoors. And the conditions outside did not improve from last week - still cold - still lots of snow.

Happy birthday nicki. My friends told me a couple of weeks ago that birthday cake calories don't count so I will say the same to you.

2009-01-22 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
I actually behaved yesterday and iced one of my legs when I got home from my run. The snow must have been really hard on my calves/shins cause I am still feeling the hurt today.

So now for the first time I am with a leg up on a chair, shoe off - icing my shin/calf at work. I don't look very professional at the moment. At least the boss has healthy employees.
2009-01-22 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Mel - I know you said there is still snow....were the roads snow packed? That causes my legs to ache more after running through mushy snow....similar to running through sand.
2009-01-22 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Welland, Ontario
Tami - Some of it was packed and you had to shorten your stride so you wouldn't fall. Other places it was loose snow where it was like running on the beach.

I think it is time for icing #2 now.
2009-01-22 3:25 PM

User image

New York, NY

Tami - I was checking out your swim log and wondering how you keep track of your splits so precisely? Do you keep paper and pen with you at the pool?! Also, for your abreviaitions, is SKP mean Swim/Kick/Pull? And if so, did you do 200 Swim, 200 Kick and 200 Pull? Can you also explain what you mean by “10xTri Set with EOF”? Oh, and do you kick with a board or on your back/side? I’ve read a board is like “cheating” even though this is always what we did in competitive swim practices.

Happy Birthday Nicki!

peanut1981 – Easy veggies other than carrots and celery. Cherry tomatoes are good or sliced up bell peppers. I’m a big of bell pepper, tomato and red onion with a little bit of olive oil. I tend to eat a lot more fruits that are convienent (apples, bananas, clementines, grapes, cherries, etc.). I could eat fruit all day… For salads you can precut a bunch of the ingredients and then just add the lettuce when you want to eat. My salads usually include some combination of zucchini, yellow summer squash, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, and red onions. I chop enough for 2 to 3 salads, distribute in 3 tupperwear containers and then add lettuce/spinach when I want to eat. You can also throw on protein options such as tuna, salmon, tofu, beans (chickpeas or black beans) or other meats that you like (chicken, turkey, etc.).
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tami's Group - CLOSED - FULL Rss Feed  

of 14