of 24

2009-04-17 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2092083

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Team No DNF - FULL
esc - 2009-04-17 11:15 AM

While we're on the subject of pre-race activities...how about some tips for race day warm up. 

Make sure you do. :D

Honestly, race day warmup is highly individualized. Some people go for a short jog, you'll see some people on trainers getting some spin time in, etc.

My biggest recommendation is to make sure you keep warm and loose, and find some way to get in a little bit of exertion so that you get the blood flowing. If you are able, get in the water and get used to it, swim a 100 or maybe 2, and try to time it so that it's fairly close to start time. You don't want to get in a great warmup 45 minutes before you do anything. I personally don't do any cycling, but I'll get a short run (At the most for me 1/2 mile, but again, you may want more), and then I'll definitely get some swimming time in.

So, do something to get warm and blood flowing, try to get in some swimming near the start of the race, be ready for that adrenaline rush at the start, and have at it!

John

2009-04-17 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2068595

User image

Veteran
Toronto
How's everyone doing?
I was still feeling strange after work so took the kids for a walk and ended up running part of the way back - but logged it as a walk.
Back on track in the morning with spin class.

Fi
2009-04-17 8:01 PM

User image

Expert

I biked 25K tonight, but slow as molasses. I don't know why, but I could not build any speed. I was biking into the wind, but still I felt pathetic. I am supposed to run on Sunday - I will try to make sure I do some speed work to make up for it a little bit.

The saga with my shoes is that they are not going to work with the pedals, period. The choice was buy new pedals or new shoes, so I chose new shoes. If anyone needs some three-bolt bike shoes in a size 40, let me know! Yell Chalk it up to experience...

My knee pain returned on the ride tonight. I realized it started hurting after my failed group ride, didn't hurt all week when I was at the gym, and came back again tonight. It must be related to my bike - am I not high enough? Too high? Pedaling improperly? More things to work on this week. Embarassed

2009-04-17 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2093033

User image

alexenafi - 2009-04-17 7:40 PM How's everyone doing?
I was still feeling strange after work so took the kids for a walk and ended up running part of the way back - but logged it as a walk.
Back on track in the morning with spin class.

Fi

My wife, my dog and I went on a log walk tonight too!  Perfect weather for nice walks this time of year.

Thanks for all the inspires!  I'll let you know how the race goes.  I'll be running it with my wife, so we're just looking to have fun.

2009-04-17 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2093079

User image

Veteran
Maine
I was at my knee doctor a few weeks ago and mentioned pain under my knee cap. He asked about my bike position, which I usually keep lower than I should because of my knee problems. He said that it would definitely cause pain under the knee cap. It seems like it could be a possibility. Don't some of the bike places do the measurements and such to help you fit your bike?

2009-04-17 9:55 PM
in reply to: #2093200

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
zachkoe - 2009-04-17 10:09 PM I was at my knee doctor a few weeks ago and mentioned pain under my knee cap. He asked about my bike position, which I usually keep lower than I should because of my knee problems. He said that it would definitely cause pain under the knee cap. It seems like it could be a possibility. Don't some of the bike places do the measurements and such to help you fit your bike?

A couple of the my LBS have 2 different fit prices.  A lower price (less than $50) to just make minor adjustments (seat height, stem height, etc.) and then offer a complete fit for $150-$200, which takes a couple hours.  I may do one later this summer, not sure yet.  Depends on $$$$ of course.

On a separate note, I hit a first for running.  Completed my normal 2 mile loop w/o stopping.  I did a 2 min warm up, and decided to slow down the pace and see if I could do it.  And I did it!!!  I felt like I could have kept running, but decided not to, didn't want to push it.  Tongue out

2009-04-18 12:23 AM
in reply to: #2093252

User image

On your right
Cutlass454 - 2009-04-17 10:55 PM
On a separate note, I hit a first for running.  Completed my normal 2 mile loop w/o stopping.  I did a 2 min warm up, and decided to slow down the pace and see if I could do it.  And I did it!!!  I felt like I could have kept running, but decided not to, didn't want to push it.  Tongue out

Awesome job!  I've also recently come to the conclusion that a slower place and not run/walk is much more rewarding than going faster for a little bit but then needing the walk.  So now I'm just working on increasing my pace a little each time I run.  And I really look foward to getting a jogging stroller, because I don't really enjoy running on the treadmill except for it's convenience to the daycare in the gym.
2009-04-18 6:33 AM

User image

Expert
Great work on the running! It's a huge milestone to complete a distance without walking - good for you!

I am stuck in the awkward position of not wanting to spend much money on this bike because I know it's not the right equipment for my needs and I will be getting a better one, but also having promised to wait until I've completed my sprint before buying a new one. A friend has offered to lend me her road bike for my races, so I'm just training on the MTB while I learn what I really want/need in a new bike. I will play around with raising the seat - thanks for the idea!

As for jogging strollers, I have the Chariot bike trailer/stroller combo for two kids. It's fantastic but can get HEAVY! The first time I pushed my son in it in a 5K race, I thought my arms were going to drop off after the first 2K. I have tried lots of other models and like mine the best, but I thought I would give you the heads up that it's harder to run with a stroller than without (just in case that wasn't obvious Wink).
2009-04-18 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2093252

User image

Cutlass454 - 2009-04-17 9:55 PM

Great job!!!  I agree that runs are more rewarding when you run the whole time till you get back home (with a reasonable warmup and cooldown, of course).  Now that you've established your pace @ 2 mi, we're excited to see you break both your pace and distance PRs

2009-04-18 8:44 AM
in reply to: #2093522

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Thanks everyone for the kind words.  I was happy with reaching that goal in such a quick time (at least for me).  Having never run before on purpose, this was the area that concerned me the most.  It won't be too much longer and I will be able to job while my kids ride their bikes.
2009-04-18 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2093654

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Cutlass454 - 2009-04-18 9:44 AM Thanks everyone for the kind words.  I was happy with reaching that goal in such a quick time (at least for me).  Having never run before on purpose, this was the area that concerned me the most.  It won't be too much longer and I will be able to job while my kids ride their bikes.

Great stuff!!!!! I'm only at 4 and 1s. But I do remember when I was going through the running room that they had worked out that running a marathon at 10 and 1s gave a faster time that running it straight through. So there's no shame in taking a 1 min walk.

I bought cycling shoes today! And tri shorts the other day. So no turning back now. Also, they measured me for a bike and found that my ex's bike may be a bit bit for me - it must be big for him then as I'm 6ft and he's only 5'10 1/2 or so. Anyway, it's a 55 and I need a 54. Could get by with a shorter stem. Will try it out and see.

Interesting is that Shimano has upped their prices 25% and Cervelo has up theirs 10%.

My shoes were $135, down from $210 as I got them at the outlet - last years shoe. They're adidas.

Is everyone experiencing this great weather?

Fi

2009-04-18 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2094307

User image

Veteran
Maine
the weather is absolutely great here in maine! i think we were in the low 60s today. I went for my run at 9:00 last night in pants,  and a fleece. I was floored when I realized how warm it was. I really hope it stays this way!
I've been looking at tri shorts, any one know of good affordable ones? Or even brand wise?
2009-04-18 8:59 PM

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
The weather here yesterday and today was picture perfect.  Low 70's with not much wind and a whole lot of sun.  Guess that's changing tomorrow - cold, windy, rainy and highs in the low 50's.
2009-04-18 9:01 PM
in reply to: #2094450

User image

Veteran
Toronto
zachkoe - 2009-04-18 8:05 PM the weather is absolutely great here in maine! i think we were in the low 60s today. I went for my run at 9:00 last night in pants,  and a fleece. I was floored when I realized how warm it was. I really hope it stays this way!
I've been looking at tri shorts, any one know of good affordable ones? Or even brand wise?

I went for sugoi (sp?). They have the tape at the bottom that stops them riding up - they are not very long - well I'm used to yogo pants that stop just below the knee.
I'm long in the torso - esp belly button to, well, crotch. So I didn't want to get asked to be someone's plumber while I was riding my bike - if you get my visual clue. Some of them did that. The guy in the store said "welcome to triathlon". I guess that's an all to common sight on race day. I wore them today to spin and was amazed at home much more comfortable they were. They also say they dry pretty quick.

Fi
2009-04-19 6:49 AM

User image

Expert
At 6ft tall, Fi, I'm guessing you're pretty long everywhere!

My question is what does everyone wear under their trisuit/shorts? I'm guessing I know the answer, but I don't know how comfortable I would be...
2009-04-19 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2094864

User image

Veteran
Toronto

trysprintolympic - 2009-04-19 7:49 AM At 6ft tall, Fi, I'm guessing you're pretty long everywhere!

My question is what does everyone wear under their trisuit/shorts? I'm guessing I know the answer, but I don't know how comfortable I would be...

I asked my ex (a cyclist) the same question before spin on Sat. He said you go commando as they make them to have no seams and so wearing undies would defeat the purpose.

I found it really comfortable wearing just the tri shorts.

Fi

2009-04-19 2:23 PM
in reply to: #2094864

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN

trysprintolympic - 2009-04-19 7:49 AM At 6ft tall, Fi, I'm guessing you're pretty long everywhere!

It's actually more uncomfortable to wear something underneath.  Nothing should come between you and the chamois!

As far as brands of tri shorts, I've tried sugoi, saucony, and performance and like the sugoi the best.  I've gotten all my tri shorts on sale either at the LBS or amazon.com.  You can usually pick up last year's models on the cheap.

2009-04-19 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2095449

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
esc - 2009-04-19 12:23 PM

It's actually more uncomfortable to wear something underneath.  Nothing should come between you and the chamois!

As far as brands of tri shorts, I've tried sugoi, saucony, and performance and like the sugoi the best.  I've gotten all my tri shorts on sale either at the LBS or amazon.com.  You can usually pick up last year's models on the cheap.

x2 sugoi. If you look around on ebay, you can get Louis garneau stuff occasionally for cheap, that is really comfortable stuff.

And yeah, nothing under. Wearing stuff under usually results in a pretty bad chafing for me.

John
2009-04-19 9:15 PM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Been looking through your logs, and you guys are putting some great work in!

One thing I absolutely stress, and that's learning to listen to your body and what it's telling you. If you can't drag yourself out of bed, or even the thought of a workout makes you tired, it's ok to take a day off. Your body is telling you that it's had enough for the time being.

I won't yell at you for taking a day or two off, this is hard training you're all doing! If it was easy they'd call it lacrosse! (Just kidding, Elayna!!)

It's when you get home and just bag the workout because you had a long commute or a bad day that I'll tell you "Suck it up, princess!", but when your body just says "That's it", listen to it!

you guys are really doing great, it's good to see the logs going up and up!!

John
2009-04-19 9:22 PM

User image

The race was fun.  It stopped raining right as we got out of the car, which was too bad--I thought running in pouring rain might somehow recreate a tri transition or something!!  (I did eventually get my dri-fit shirt soaked, and those mothers are TOUGH to get off and on when you're wet!)

Okay, two random questions--

Should our tri shorts have pockets to do the longer distances (Olympic, HIM?)  Even if we aren't starting out with an HIM in sight, we might someday, should we just get ones with pockets for gu and that?

On a totally unrelated note, I've been losing just about .5 pounds per week.  I leaned out A LOT, and I don't see myself loosing any more fat.  Its all muscle loss now.  My question is, is there any chance of me doing an HIM some day and still maintaining any of my previous musclehead look?   Or if I want to get serious about this, do I have to accept getting mostly back to my pre-weight lifting size?

Edited by CGunz 2009-04-19 9:24 PM
2009-04-19 9:44 PM
in reply to: #2096141

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
CGunz - 2009-04-19 7:22 PM

The race was fun.  It stopped raining right as we got out of the car, which was too bad--I thought running in pouring rain might somehow recreate a tri transition or something!!  (I did eventually get my dri-fit shirt soaked, and those mothers are TOUGH to get off and on when you're wet!)

Should our tri shorts have pockets to do the longer distances (Olympic, HIM?)  Even if we aren't starting out with an HIM in sight, we might someday, should we just get ones with pockets for gu and that?

On a totally unrelated note, I've been losing just about .5 pounds per week.  I leaned out A LOT, and I don't see myself loosing any more fat.  Its all muscle loss now.  My question is, is there any chance of me doing an HIM some day and still maintaining any of my previous musclehead look?   Or if I want to get serious about this, do I have to accept getting mostly back to my pre-weight lifting size?

Random question # 1- I have pockets in my tri suit, I don't use them.

Random question # 2- One name for you: Frank Zane.

John

2009-04-19 10:28 PM
in reply to: #2096141

User image

Veteran
Toronto
CGunz - 2009-04-19 10:22 PM

Congrats Cam.

I wish I only had muscle to loose.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCBApygOByA

This link is really for everyone. But I know Cam will be interested in it as Todd (the guy the video is about) is a weight lifter - and endurance athlete. He's a right leg amputee and I met him back in 2000 when I was assisting the Achilles Track Club at the NYC Marathon. I was there assisting the club and cheering on my friend Jo (we call her 5 toe Jo), whose also an amputee and came 2nd in the women's wheelchair sector. It was her first marathon. Todd comes and visits me occasionally - he usually calls up from the Toronto Airport and tells me that's were he is and I scramble to get the house ready for him, and his special needs, and get out to  pick him up. He still has a key I think. My son loves him and Todd jumps around the house (we're on 3 levels) and tells Aidan that he's a kangaroo.

I'll let the video speak for itself- but if you get anything out of it I can tell you that this guy in person is amazing. He's even named his baby Achilles.

Cam, prior to his accident he was a personal trainer (still is) and trained with Arnold. He even trained Pamela Anderson post his amputation and he told her he lost it from a shark attack (good Aussie humor).

Here's to a great training week everyone.
Night,
Fi
2009-04-20 8:10 AM

User image

Thanks for the video Fi.  That's... amazing!  You know that guy?  That's quite an inspiring story, and such a service for the vets coming back from the middle east.  And he remains quite buff looking!  My wife would love me to look like that after finishing a marathon!

John,

No pockets?  Really?  You would just pick up nutrition as you go?

2009-04-20 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2096580

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
CGunz - 2009-04-20 6:10 AM

Thanks for the video Fi.  That's... amazing!  You know that guy?  That's quite an inspiring story, and such a service for the vets coming back from the middle east.  And he remains quite buff looking!  My wife would love me to look like that after finishing a marathon!

John,

Small caveat - I've never done more than an Olympic, and I use infinIT. My stomach tends to really shrink and react badly to food, so I have to be careful about what I intake. For Olympic, I rarely even use infinIT, just gatorade and/or electrolyte drinks. For a sprint, there's no real need.

But, bear in mind that I'll hit a sprint in 1, 1:10 and an Olympic in 2:15-2:30. If you're on the Oly course for 3+ hours, then you will probably need some nutrition. GU works on my training rides, fig newtons (oddly enough), infinIT and ZYM (electrolyte tablets).

But as far as the pockets, I'd stick a bento box on my bike first, and for the run not really necessary. I don't like stuff in my pockets when running/riding, I don't even like wearing a hydration belt for long runs in the summer. Plus, once you get up into HIM and IM, the aid stations pretty much have everything you might need on the course.

With everything, you need to experiment in training with what works for you, what is comfortable, etc etc.

John
2009-04-20 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2096580

User image

Veteran
Toronto
CGunz - 2009-04-20 9:10 AM

John,

Yeah Todd is great. He's on like that all the time. He's back in Australia now. He is super buff. I was massaging him after the NYC marathon and he has major glutes - which is interesting as he doesn't really have a hami. So would make it even harder to get.

Glad you liked the video.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Team No DNF - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24