BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-05-06 9:56 AM
in reply to: #2071252

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
Subject: RE: The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go.
Thanks so much for the thoughts.

I considered going back to my older shoes and giving them a try.  Maybe this weekend for a short run.  I never had any trouble with those. 

As far as the seat height is concerned, it is maxed out (at least per the dotted line on the seat post).  I don't get full extension of my leg on the bike but pretty close.  I'm not entirely sure how extended my legs should be on the bike. 

I'll give each of these ideas a shot, 1 at a time like you said, and see whathappens.

Congrats to you too on the weight loss.  I love having a goal to work towards and as long as I can keep moving forward I'm happy.  I'm really curious to see how low I end up weight wise.  I swam competitively in HS and college and was 6'2" and 165 pounds.  Not sure I'm shooting for that low but sub 200 would be sweet.

Thanks again. 

2009-05-06 10:10 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
I am not an expert on mountain bikes by any means. I was a road racer and bicycle mechanic years ago. On a road bike you do not want your leg to reach full extension. Rather at the lowest point the leg should still ahve a slight bend to it.

I was a terrible runner for most of my life. I would do it because nothing else seemed to give me that level of intensity in sucha short time period. IHowever, I always had leg issues whether it was hamstrings, achilles, etc.

I got check out at the local tri store. Turns out I pronate despite having totally flat feet! Which they told me is the opposite of what most flat footed people do. I got some Brroks running shoes and have never looked back. I bought two more pairs recently and alternate them. I have occasional aches, but usually that is from insufficent stretching or overwork.

BTW: I am only 6' tall. I wouldn't mind hitting 190 lbs. but don't tell me wife. She thought I was too thin at our wedding when I weighed 193.
2009-05-06 10:39 AM

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
I also hate to say my stretching has been lacking. Embarassed

Any suggestion on what stretches I should be doing or a good place to find them?
2009-05-06 11:51 AM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
2009-05-06 4:12 PM

User image

New user

I started swimming with a masters swim club. Im a strong swimmer but have a few bad habits I picked up on over the years but are easy to fix. I decided to work my bootcamp class into my training schedule cuz I love it and don't want to stop. I also finished getting my bike stuff and am supposed to do a 40miler saturday. Now I just need to pick up my running but I bought the complete book of running to help me figure out how to make me faster and strong and this book is really really helpful.  Now if I could just eat right for energy I'd be set (or at least I think so)
2009-05-06 6:25 PM
in reply to: #2133272

Regular
Denver
Subject: RE: Starting to get some knee pain :-(
trinigen - 2009-05-06 6:15 AM I posted this in the main Triathlon Talk forum but thought I would post this for the group too.

Right now I am not a happy camper.  I have been at this religously for about the past 5 weeks (following the Oly 2x beginner plan from BT).  And before that I was just hitting the gym and pool as much as I could.

In the past week I have started to experience some dull pain just below my left knee cap.The right kne is totally fine. Nothing debilitating but i know it's there and I can feel it going up and down stairs.  When I run, bike or swim I really don't notice it much though.  I am worried that it is either runners knee or patellar tendonitis.

I'm bummed because I do not want to be sidelined right now.  Since I've been at this I've lost 31 pounds and still want to keep losing.  I'm in the best shape of my life (endurance wise) and really need to keep moving forward for my own sanity.  

I'm currently in the 1st week of the 2nd month of the training plan (all my logs are up to date).  The durations of my workouts have only increased by the customary 10% with the recovery week thrown in at the end of each 4 week period.  Oddly enough the pain only surfaced during the recovery week. 

What kind of base running did you have before you started your plan five weeks ago?  It looks to me like you are running a lot of miles if you didn't have a decent base before then, especially for guys our size (I'm down to 248, having started at 275 at Christmas and 290+ a few years ago before I cut out soda).  Did you lose the 31 lbs in 5 weeks, that seems like a lot and would mean you are training really hard.

Bob

2009-05-07 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2135154

User image

Regular
Providence, R.I.
BobJ123 - 2009-05-06 6:25 PM
What kind of base running did you have before you started your plan five weeks ago?  It looks to me like you are running a lot of miles if you didn't have a decent base before then, especially for guys our size (I'm down to 248, having started at 275 at Christmas and 290+ a few years ago before I cut out soda).  Did you lose the 31 lbs in 5 weeks, that seems like a lot and would mean you are training really hard.

Bob

I started working out in the end of February and just started run walking and running between 1 - 1.5 miles and building up slowly. I was also swimming since that is the bulk of my background.  I never really had any structure until I got on the plan though.  I didn't start tracking the weight loss until the beginning of March so the 31 pounds has been since then.  Also, before all of this I think my diet was a mess and I cut out drinking all together during the week.

I did manage to get my long ride in yesterday (97 minutes and 26 miles).  I did feel the knee a bit but it was nothing bad.  I stretched like a madman when I got home and it feels pretty good today.  My wife is heading out today and she is going to pick me up a knee strap to give that a try.  I think I'll bag my short ride today in favor of the elliptical at the Y and give the knee a break.  I'll give the strap a shot this weekend for my short run.

Thanks for all the input and help so far. 
2009-05-07 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2126488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
DougRob - 2009-05-03 9:26 AM

holt1997 - 2009-05-03 8:31 AM So how is training going for everyone? Whats going well? What needs some improving? Anything that you need help with? Scott

I think things are going fine. I started working out 11 months ago and have progressed steadily. I have lost about 30% of my body weight. Having done that I am not following any program for a particular tri. I have a sprint in just over a month. I am thinking of this one as a sort of baseline tri. I have a 2nd one 6/28 that I consider a little more serious. So I am erying t focus my training on that one. It it wierd because each requires a little tapering. How does one taper for successive tris?

Hey Doug,
How long is the tri on 6/28?
2009-05-07 11:47 AM
in reply to: #2127566

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: How is training going?
millk3 - 2009-05-03 9:35 PM

It's going fantastic!

I just finished my first Sprint Tri.  Yeah!!  One for the books.  I did the times I thought I would 18 mins for swim I swam hard in the first half and ended up backing off for the second to catch my wind,  49 mins for the bike and 32 mins for the run.  I came in 20 out of 20 in my age group.  I'm happy, I've achieved a goal - I finished.

I've got an Olympic Tri on July 19th that I'm training for.  I plan on using the Sprint to Olympic bridge training program.  Based on my experience today I'm going to check out some swimming, biking and running clinics or coaching.  I now know what I can do and I believe training under a coach or with a group will help me a lot with technique.  I'm also to easy on myself and tend to slack off when there is no one there to keep me in check or to challenge me.

My goals for the Olympic are
1.  To finish strong
2.  To improve my times from the Sprint
3.  To have fun doing it

I'm thinking I might take tomorrow off, even through the schedule has me training.  My legs are telling me a rest is deserved after finishing the Sprint today.

After your tri did you learn anything you want to share? Any little thing others could overlook?

Congrats by the way. Thats awesome.
2009-05-07 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2129530

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
JohnOD - 2009-05-04 2:21 PM

Training is going well.

Saturdays, I ride the 17 mile bike course for my June 20 Tri (Wyckoff, NJ) with the Glen Rock Tri Club. My pace and times have been improving, and at least now I can stay with some of the group. Last week I did 17 miles, and then an extra 10.

Sundays: Long run. I have been running outside and steadily increasing the distance. Last week, I ran for 90 minutes, which is the longest I have ever run. My pace is probably 9 1/2 mins per mile, so that was probably a little more than 9 miles. It was my longest run ever.

I try to get in a trainer workout and a short run during the week. I have not been so good at doing that. During the week is tough with work and commuting.

I have been trying to swim one night a week, and I have a question about that. The last two times I swam, I wound up scraping my right shoulder against my beard stubble. (I tend to favor breathing on my right). Sounds weird, I know, but it actually left a scrape on my shoulder. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what is causing me to do that. Am I not rotating my body enough? Am I not lifting my arm high enough?

Thanks.

Good luck all.

John

Hi John,
It sounds to me like you are trying to rotate your head too soon. You actually might trying to slow down your pace and work some on the technique. Is this happening more when you are trying to go faster or is it all the time?
2009-05-07 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Training tip/ idea. I read an article in Triathlete magazine a couple of months ago that had a really good idea but one that I think we all avoid. The article said we should train to our weakness to make us a wellrounded more injury proof athlete. For me this is definately swimming. When I first started tri's my workout was 300m long with a lot of breaks and water from the pool in my tummy. I am no super athlete so I have to look at where I can get the most gain from my workouts. Honestly I think my swim has more to gain by consistent workouts than anywhere else. Since trying this I have found that working harder on the swim makes the other disciplines easier to maintain and make progress in.

So what is your weakness? Are you training towards it or shying away from it? (You don't have ot answer if you don't want, just food for thought)

2009-05-07 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2133272

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
trinigen - 2009-05-06 5:15 AM

I posted this in the main Triathlon Talk forum but thought I would post this for the group too.

Right now I am not a happy camper.  I have been at this religously for about the past 5 weeks (following the Oly 2x beginner plan from BT).  And before that I was just hitting the gym and pool as much as I could.

In the past week I have started to experience some dull pain just below my left knee cap.The right kne is totally fine. Nothing debilitating but i know it's there and I can feel it going up and down stairs.  When I run, bike or swim I really don't notice it much though.  I am worried that it is either runners knee or patellar tendonitis.

I'm bummed because I do not want to be sidelined right now.  Since I've been at this I've lost 31 pounds and still want to keep losing.  I'm in the best shape of my life (endurance wise) and really need to keep moving forward for my own sanity.  

I'm currently in the 1st week of the 2nd month of the training plan (all my logs are up to date).  The durations of my workouts have only increased by the customary 10% with the recovery week thrown in at the end of each 4 week period.  Oddly enough the pain only surfaced during the recovery week. 

I've been racking my head about what has changed with my routine in the past few weeks and this is all I could come up with.

1. Went to a true running store and had a gait analysis and ended up with a pair of Brook's Beasts (very nice).

2. Switched from running indoors on a treadmill to running outdoors on a running trail.  The trail is just simple fine gravel like you may find on a school track.  No paved surfaces.

3. Started biking outdoors (instead of at the gym) on my mountain bike with road slicks.  The bike shop who did the tune up said the bike may be a bit small for me (bike is a 17 year old Specialized Hardrock) but it should be ok.  I wanted to wait until after my first season of tris to start looking at a tri bike. 

4. I went from 284 pounds to 253 currently. Still drropping too :-)

Right now that's all i can think of.  I just don't want to be sidelined at all.  I want to keep the weight loss going and I really want to compete in tris.  My first isn't until July 26th though.

Like I said the pain isn't debilitating but does anyone have any suggestions?  See a sports ortho?  Try a patellar band?  Stop running? :-

Thanks for listening and any help / insight would be greatly appreciated.  

I think Doug really has you on the right track for breaking down the problem to find out what it is. Training wise it also sounds like your doing a lot of good things and pacing rest and build correctly. One other thing is I recommend going to see a doctor if the problem doesn't get better soon. I hate going there as much as the next one but if a little rest now sets you up for a great summer, thats better than fighting an injury all summer. Congrats on your weightloss too. Nice work.
2009-05-07 12:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I bought an oomph Ali'i 1/2 zip top in blue last year. I have only worn it to try on. I never shrunk into it. Does anyone want it before I post it outside the group? I am about 5'10" and 195 and it fits me like a halter top. Not so good lookin. Well if you think it will fit you and you want it just let me know. I will send it to you for free.
2009-05-07 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2134915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kristen3479 - 2009-05-06 2:12 PM

I started swimming with a masters swim club. Im a strong swimmer but have a few bad habits I picked up on over the years but are easy to fix. I decided to work my bootcamp class into my training schedule cuz I love it and don't want to stop. I also finished getting my bike stuff and am supposed to do a 40miler saturday. Now I just need to pick up my running but I bought the complete book of running to help me figure out how to make me faster and strong and this book is really really helpful.  Now if I could just eat right for energy I'd be set (or at least I think so)

So what kind of bike stuff did you get?
2009-05-07 7:44 PM
in reply to: #2136521

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Hey Doug, How long is the tri on 6/28?

It is a sprint, but unlike the first it uses the timing chips and is more formal. I plan on doing 3 sprints and then an olympic and maybe a half. They're in my reace log.
2009-05-08 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2136567

User image

A cubicle in Jacksonville, FL

Scott,
I consider my biggest weakness running, by far. Having a swimming background, my technique is solid and I'm building on my endurance. And I'm comfortable riding, although the hybrid makes it tough to go very fast- I'm averaging about 14MPH. So to help me with my running I went to a local running/sports store that was offering free running assessments. It was awesome. They asked me what issues I was having, and then videotaped me running on a treadmill both from the side and from the back. The physical therapist doing the assessment showed me (via the video displayed on a flat screen TV) that my technique was pretty good, but I was pronating my ankles inward somewhat. And given the fact that the running shoes I had were giving me absolutely no support for that, while at the store I bought new Brooks running shoes. I tried them out last night and they felt awesome. So if anyone has access to a GOOD running store, that has a treadmill in it so they can see you run, I'd highly recommend checking it out. The icing on the cake was that the Therapist was a triathlete, and a BT'er! So I got to ask some more in depth tri-questions as well.
-Evan

2009-05-08 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2136567

I've used my placement in the Sprint to give me my strengths and weaknesses.  My slowest was the run then swim and last was bike.  I'm now spending time investigating running and have picked up the "chi running" dvd, cd and book.  I've also realized that I have to work on my weaknesses.  I've tended to do some token training in my weak area(s) but I tend to put more time in on the things I'm good at rather than the weak areas.

I've taken a chunk of this week off with only a couple of swim workouts.  I've had recommendations to focus on my biking/spinning more to help overall.  Thoughts?

2009-05-08 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2138914

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
triat45 - 2009-05-08 9:54 AM

Scott,
I consider my biggest weakness running, by far. Having a swimming background, my technique is solid and I'm building on my endurance. And I'm comfortable riding, although the hybrid makes it tough to go very fast- I'm averaging about 14MPH. So to help me with my running I went to a local running/sports store that was offering free running assessments. It was awesome. They asked me what issues I was having, and then videotaped me running on a treadmill both from the side and from the back. The physical therapist doing the assessment showed me (via the video displayed on a flat screen TV) that my technique was pretty good, but I was pronating my ankles inward somewhat. And given the fact that the running shoes I had were giving me absolutely no support for that, while at the store I bought new Brooks running shoes. I tried them out last night and they felt awesome. So if anyone has access to a GOOD running store, that has a treadmill in it so they can see you run, I'd highly recommend checking it out. The icing on the cake was that the Therapist was a triathlete, and a BT'er! So I got to ask some more in depth tri-questions as well.
-Evan

Evan,
That is excellent. Input like that is priceless in benefit. Its great too that the person was tri related too. You found a gold mine. You are fortunate to have a swimming background also. Most triathletes have swimming as their weakness. Good stuff.
2009-05-08 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2138938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
millk3 - 2009-05-08 10:03 AM

I've used my placement in the Sprint to give me my strengths and weaknesses.  My slowest was the run then swim and last was bike.  I'm now spending time investigating running and have picked up the "chi running" dvd, cd and book.  I've also realized that I have to work on my weaknesses.  I've tended to do some token training in my weak area(s) but I tend to put more time in on the things I'm good at rather than the weak areas.

I've taken a chunk of this week off with only a couple of swim workouts.  I've had recommendations to focus on my biking/spinning more to help overall.  Thoughts?

I would think that if the run is your weak link then I would spend more time there. Especially with sprint and olympic distance, intervals are great for picking up speed. If you want to go faster then you have to SLOWLY get your body used to it. If you go out for a two mile run practice by running a telephone pole length at 5k pace or maybe faster, then rest for 4 lengths. You can use something like this to build off of but its a great place to start. When I do an interval workout I go for say 45 minutes. I will warm up slowly for 10 minutes. then I run at faster than 5k for 20 seconds then have a recovery interval for 1:40. I might do this 8 times then just run regularly for the rest of the run. This not only helps me to run a little faster in general but has also helped me recognize different levels so I can do a better job of pacing myself. Hope this helps.
Scott
2009-05-08 12:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Recovery:

Just a thought for everyone on how to recover after a race. I was taught to do a reverse taper. Usually the day after is off for rest. Then slowly build back into a week one that has lighter loads. It is amazing that doing this makes the soreness for me go away faster and since I am already motivated for the next race this just helps keep the motivation going as well.

Just a thought on something that has worked for me.
2009-05-09 12:14 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
Training is going very well, had a few weeks were I missed the long run but got it in this week.  As far as motivating myself I like to think I am actually racing and visuallizing the finish line really helps.   Thinking about time I have put in and how far I have come that helps me a lot.  I am trying the Ipod for running but really not used to it yet.  I would have to say my weak spots are swimming and running (I am no stud on the bike but it is going well)  Running just because it is difficult because of wieght and swimming becuase i find myself thinking tooooo much.  I have had some lessons with a coach and she found some good problems with technique that I have been able to correct for the most part but I still find myself wanting to breath everytime I come to the left side.  I feel like I am breathing too much but I get anxious if I don't breath often.  I am currently doing 9 work outs a week and after my first tri in june I will back off to 7 and still do three swims a week.  It makes sense to spend the most time on the worst area, I think!!!

2009-05-10 8:58 PM

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: The Great Adventure
Tried to do a simulated Sprint today. I set up a transition area in my backyard today. I swam 300 yds. It was hard because the I had to do 18 length, so I has to do a lot of turns. I went out too hard and lost any of the technique I have been practicing. So the 1st lesson is to calm down and remember what I have learned.

In T1, I learned that I have to set up my cycling shoes with the velcro all the way open. I lost time due to my fumbling that I could have avoided with more planning.

The bike was pretty good. My 12.2 mile route is HILLY! My average mph was too slow, only 16.6 mph.

Finally I made a good T2, but only ran a few tenths of a mile as I was worn down. My left hammy was tight, and I lacked energy from 1) My 10.55 mile run the previous morning and 2) the 3 hours of Wii Fit I did with the kids. (The boxing wears me out!)

So I thought it was wiser to stop as I learned what I hoped to. I will do this again and put into practice what I have learned. Good news was there really is not wobbly legs with a 300 yd. swim. Talc and body glide worked great and All my equipment felt good and worked good. I have to get used to my Garmin Forerunner 305 in multisport mode. But dont think I'll use it that way in the tri. The cycle computer is fine for the bike and the watch will work for the run.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Trying to explain my underperformance to myself so that I do not get down. I know if I was fresh my perofrmance would have been better. And I will tapper before my race!

Doug

Edited by DougRob 2009-05-10 8:59 PM
2009-05-11 7:19 AM
in reply to: #2140506

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
stiga00 - 2009-05-09 10:14 AM

Training is going very well, had a few weeks were I missed the long run but got it in this week.  As far as motivating myself I like to think I am actually racing and visuallizing the finish line really helps.   Thinking about time I have put in and how far I have come that helps me a lot.  I am trying the Ipod for running but really not used to it yet.  I would have to say my weak spots are swimming and running (I am no stud on the bike but it is going well)  Running just because it is difficult because of wieght and swimming becuase i find myself thinking tooooo much.  I have had some lessons with a coach and she found some good problems with technique that I have been able to correct for the most part but I still find myself wanting to breath everytime I come to the left side.  I feel like I am breathing too much but I get anxious if I don't breath often.  I am currently doing 9 work outs a week and after my first tri in june I will back off to 7 and still do three swims a week.  It makes sense to spend the most time on the worst area, I think!!!

It is hard to not get distracted during training, especially during the LSD workouts. Sometimes adding drills helps some but eventually you just have to put in the miles. What kind of problems did your swim coach find?
2009-05-11 7:21 AM
in reply to: #2142156

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: The Great Adventure
DougRob - 2009-05-10 6:58 PM

Tried to do a simulated Sprint today. I set up a transition area in my backyard today. I swam 300 yds. It was hard because the I had to do 18 length, so I has to do a lot of turns. I went out too hard and lost any of the technique I have been practicing. So the 1st lesson is to calm down and remember what I have learned.

In T1, I learned that I have to set up my cycling shoes with the velcro all the way open. I lost time due to my fumbling that I could have avoided with more planning.

The bike was pretty good. My 12.2 mile route is HILLY! My average mph was too slow, only 16.6 mph.

Finally I made a good T2, but only ran a few tenths of a mile as I was worn down. My left hammy was tight, and I lacked energy from 1) My 10.55 mile run the previous morning and 2) the 3 hours of Wii Fit I did with the kids. (The boxing wears me out!)

So I thought it was wiser to stop as I learned what I hoped to. I will do this again and put into practice what I have learned. Good news was there really is not wobbly legs with a 300 yd. swim. Talc and body glide worked great and All my equipment felt good and worked good. I have to get used to my Garmin Forerunner 305 in multisport mode. But dont think I'll use it that way in the tri. The cycle computer is fine for the bike and the watch will work for the run.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Trying to explain my underperformance to myself so that I do not get down. I know if I was fresh my perofrmance would have been better. And I will tapper before my race!

Doug

This is excellent. You just saved yourself a lot of race day frustration. Nice work. Did you track your HR during the whole time? What were your rates like?
2009-05-11 7:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Question for the group:

How do you balance triathlon, workouts etc with the rest of your life? Any special techniques for fitting workouts in? Found anything that doesn't work or works quite well?

Edited by holt1997 2009-05-11 7:23 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  

of 10