BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jerryrika's "anything goes" group now - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 8

2009-05-10 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2141396

User image

Regular
Marlboro, NJ
Subject: RE: jerryrika's "anything goes" group now - Closed
ilucy2 - 2009-05-10 9:37 AM The question of the day. I purchased new shoes in Feb, and they seemed to work fine while I ran in the winter on the treadmill. However, I am now spending a lot of time on the road. The bottoms of my feet are soo sore, I can bearly stand to walk on them by evening. Is it the shoes, or do I just need to toughen up my feet?

Did you get your shoes at a running store? I was running with regular cross-training New Balance and then a friend suggested I go to a real running store to have them watch me walk& run. Based off of that they recommended a bunch of shoes. Bought a pair (Brooks Axiom) that are specially for running and my feet feel a world of difference on both the treadmill and the road. 

Happy mothers day to everyone! 

2009-05-10 11:11 AM
in reply to: #2141426

User image

Veteran
bk broiler - 2009-05-10 7:06 AM

ilucy2 - 2009-05-10 9:37 AM The question of the day. I purchased new shoes in Feb, and they seemed to work fine while I ran in the winter on the treadmill. However, I am now spending a lot of time on the road. The bottoms of my feet are soo sore, I can bearly stand to walk on them by evening. Is it the shoes, or do I just need to toughen up my feet?

Did you get your shoes at a running store? I was running with regular cross-training New Balance and then a friend suggested I go to a real running store to have them watch me walk& run. Based off of that they recommended a bunch of shoes. Bought a pair (Brooks Axiom) that are specially for running and my feet feel a world of difference on both the treadmill and the road. 

Happy mothers day to everyone! 

Yeah, I went to Feet Fleet, a well known running store. They are Brooks. Thanks for the well wishes, I get to paint, and grocery shop Whoot Whoot!
2009-05-11 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2135102

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
216000929 - 2009-05-06 5:44 PM

Mike,

I am far from an expert swimmer but these tips have really helped me.

1. Relax in the water. The more you tighten up the more your body shuts down.
2. Remember to exhale slowly. Don't hold your breath.
3. Work on bilateral breathing - breathing every 3 strokes - left, right, left, etc. However, if that causes stress (see #1), then breathe on one side.
4. Swim with a plan. Don't just show up and swim. If you need help with workouts, I have used this site (not sure if I can post this but here it goes) http://ruthkazez.com/50swimworkouts.html

5. I am a firm believer that swimming all strokes helps you become a stronger swimmer. Don't shy away from the other strokes.
6. Like in running, only increase your yards 10% each week. This will eliminate injuries.
7. Endurance comes from interval training. Example: Do Free 3x50 on 1:00, 4x100 on 2:00, 3x50 on :55. This really gets the heart rate up.
8. Do longer ladder sets to get a feel for higher yards. If you swim in a 25yd pool (1 length = 25yrds) swim 11 lengths, rest :10 sec, the swim 10 lengths, rest :10, swim 9 legths rest :10, etc down to 1 length. If you do this, you will have swum 1650 yds. Cool down with an easy 100 and you have your 1760 yds for a mile. Do this every other week during a workout to see how you are improving. Don't forget to track your start and finish time.
9. Try to swim 3x/week. 4x will make you even stronger.
10. Track your yds. You will be amazed how much you improve.

I hope this helps.

Judd

really like this ladder workout, did it this morning, except I forgot the 100 cool-down, so I ended up 100 short of a mile...I'll get it next time.  Made doing what I think of as an endurance swim much more enjoyable, just counting laps gets boring really fast.  Thanks for this, going to keep it in my rotation for sure, and as I get better maybe even add a 12 to the start.
2009-05-11 2:35 PM
in reply to: #2142863

User image

New user

Fort Wayne, IN

Great Job Mike!

I totally agree that break up the boredom. To add a bit more spice you can do one of the following:

1. Every other set - swim backstroke

2. Odd sets - FAST, even sets - Normal

3. Odd sets - swim, even sets - pull

Good luck.

2009-05-11 2:49 PM
in reply to: #2080346

User image

St. Petersburg
Hey everyone,

I'm back from my very first triathlon yesterday! I posted it in my races, I'm pretty happy with how I did and swimming is definitely my strength!!

My overall time was 01:36:40 Swim 16:20 T1 3:32 Bike 44:11 T2 1:25 Run 31:10
I was 27 of 166 in my age group and 184 of 1688 overall, it was all women.

I feel bad for some of the other women racing. At least this was pratically my home turf and we've gotten really hot here pretty early in the year. All three days I was in Orlando, they had record temps reaching 95-98 every single day. I made sure to keep up with my water and electrolytes to ensure I wouldn't have issues during the race. But even during the check-in the day before, someone needed medical attention due to the heat.

Running was my weakness and swimming was my strength... I definitely need to switch up my training to have more of a running focus. My next 2 triathlons are going to be more serious and competive, so I'm going to use this week to recover and then I think I'm really going to step up my training.

I had so much fun!!! Can't wait for my next one on June 13th!!!

I hope everyone else had a great weekend!!! Happy belated Mother's Day to the moms!!!!

2009-05-11 5:04 PM
in reply to: #2144007

User image

Veteran
CharleyBeth - 2009-05-11 12:49 PM

Hey everyone,

I'm back from my very first triathlon yesterday! I posted it in my races, I'm pretty happy with how I did and swimming is definitely my strength!!

I feel bad for some of the other women racing. At least this was pratically my home turf and we've gotten really hot here pretty early in the year. All three days I was in Orlando, they had record temps reaching 95-98 every single day. I made sure to keep up with my water and electrolytes to ensure I wouldn't have issues during the race. But even during the check-in the day before, someone needed medical attention due to the heat.

Running was my weakness and swimming was my strength... I definitely need to switch up my training to have more of a running focus. My next 2 triathlons are going to be more serious and competive, so I'm going to use this week to recover and then I think I'm really going to step up my training.

I hope everyone else had a great weekend!!! Happy belated Mother's Day to the moms!!!!

WAY TO GOOO!!!! You did really well! Sounds like you were really prepared. Now rest, and eat somthing really naughty!

2009-05-12 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2144351

User image

St. Petersburg
ilucy2 - 2009-05-11 6:04 PM

CharleyBeth - 2009-05-11 12:49 PM

Hey everyone,

WAY TO GOOO!!!! You did really well! Sounds like you were really prepared. Now rest, and eat somthing really naughty!

Thank you Kendra!!! How's your recovery coming??

I think the fact that I walked around Epcot the afternoon after my tri and Magic Kingdom yesterday, actually helped a lot! My legs are not near as sore as they have been after events in the past. I am only going to do a couple of easy recovery runs the rest of this week and then I'm leaving to go camping Thurs-Mon! Can't wait, so much fun, with lots of bad food!!!!

2009-05-12 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2144007

User image

Here or there

CharleyBeth - 2009-05-11 3:49 PM Hey everyone, I'm back from my very first triathlon yesterday! .....!

Way to go Charlotte!  That's awesome!  I ran my second this weekend, a sprint.  I felt like I improved quite a bit from my first.  Unfortunately, I had a flat on the bike course that cost some considerable time, but I still had a great time!

Thanks to everyone about the comments on the Forerunner.  Matt - do you leave the Forerunner 50 on in the water?

TIA

2009-05-12 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2146135

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
no, I wear my timex ironman during the swim, and leave my forerunner on the bike.  I think it would be okay in the water, but I don't want to risk it.  I take my watch off as I head to T1, then put my forerunner on as I get ready to bike.  I wear it backwards on my wrist so I can see it okay while in the aero position, then flip it around when I start the run.
2009-05-13 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2146135

User image

St. Petersburg
brockadoo - 2009-05-12 1:35 PM

Thanks to everyone about the comments on the Forerunner.  Matt - do you leave the Forerunner 50 on in the water?

Have you decided what to do about the Forerunner? I read a pretty good blog about the 205 and 305: http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=1534116which mentions the 310 XT. They guy that wrote it has all good things to say about the Garmin Forerunners and their accuracy. He explains the difference between the 205 and 305 which is that the 305 can sync with an included heart rate monitor, an optional foot pod accelerometer, and an optional speed-and-cadence sensor for your bike. He said the difference with the 310XT is it is waterproof and has wireless data transfer. I'm not sure if those to points are worth the extra cost for the 310XT... but I don't know if I'm graceful enough to put on a watch quickly while I'm doing my swim to bike transition.

Edited by CharleyBeth 2009-05-13 9:00 AM
2009-05-13 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2147860

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
The 310xt also has much better battery life, up to 20 hours.  It's also ant+ compatible with power meters I think.  The big point is the battery life and being water proof.  If you're ever planning to do a full Ironman than you'd need the extra battery life, otherwise it may be overkill.  I'm going to purchase a Garmin GPS at some point this year, but still haven't decided if I'll go for the 310 or the 305.  One other point is the 310 has the wireless data transfer to your PC.  Again, nice feature, but alone not worth the price.  From a usability standpoint while biking/running I don't think there's much difference.  I'm pretty sure you can buy the new HR strap that comes with the 310 for the 305, it's around 70 bucks, but probably cheaper once Amazon starts selling it.

2009-05-13 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2147860

User image

Here or there

CharleyBeth - 2009-05-13 9:54 AM  Have you decided what to do about the Forerunner? ...QUOTE]

I had kind of made up my mind to get the 50, but then I read some bad reviews on Amazon...  I'd like to have one watch to do it all (read my race report and you'll see that I've got enough problems in transition that I don't need one more!), but I figure with the cadence sensor, I'd be pushing $400 for the 310.  At this point, I'm still leaning toward the 50.  When I swim at the Y, they've got the clock going so no need for a watch there and I'm really not too concerned with knowing my time coming out of the swim during a race.  At this point, I really need to work on my running and cycling so I figure that the 50 will accomplish all of that for about $100 with foot pod and cadence sensor.  However... I'm always a paralysis analysis kind of guy on these decisions...so I'll probably waffle a coupla' more times.  Thanks for the link!

2009-05-13 9:41 AM
in reply to: #2147983

User image

St. Petersburg
I found the Forerunner 305 on sale online for 170.00 including taxes and shipping. 172.33 before shipping and taxes at Amazon.
2009-05-13 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2148019

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
CharleyBeth - 2009-05-13 9:41 AM I found the Forerunner 305 on sale online for 170.00 including taxes and shipping. 172.33 before shipping and taxes at Amazon.

you can get them from ebay for around $150 with free shipping.
2009-05-17 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Where is everybody?? I know there are a few that are racing this weekend, I hope everyone does well!
2009-05-19 1:04 PM

Hi all! and congrats to those with recent races. I have been pathetic with my training lately but this week should start getting a little easier. (schedule-wise) I just got my MRI results that show I do NOT have a herniated disk so now I can stop being quite so cautious. Yay! 

Here's an update on the swim front. Judd, I appreciate the advice and yes, raising my head was completely the problem (i knew that for sure!), but I just couldn't seem to get coordinated with my breathing to get my head down and not inhale the whole pool! So I took your words and went to the pool and decided to look ridiculous for a while so I could try and figure it out.  And I FINALLY made some progress! For the first time in my whole life I felt like all the other swimmers I've seen! I did get tons of water inhaled and the lifeguard kept looking over at me like I was nuts, but oh well. I hope to have the coordination really down within the next few weeks. Is it really crazy that I'm just getting the hang of the swimming and I'm doing the tri in july?!

Oh well, what's wrong with a little risk, right? That's what I keep telling myself. I'm might look ridiculous but I guess that's better than not getting out there at all, yes?

I hope you all have had a good start to the week!
-jenn 

2009-05-21 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2161086

User image

Regular
Marlboro, NJ
Went for a bike ride this morning and started wondering about my tire size. I have 28's on but was wondering everyone's thoughts about 25's or 23's and if there is any real difference (i.e. can you go faster with them)???

Thanks

Brian
2009-05-22 5:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
Guess it depends on your rim size.  What kind of bike to you have?  I know the narrower the tire the higher the tire pressure you can run, but while that may be faster it's a harsher ride.  I think 23mm is the standard size, 28 seems very big.  If you have a wider rim then a 23 may still be the way to go, you can then run it with lower tire pressure.  Think it gives better rolling resistance, but is slightly less aero. 
2009-05-22 11:35 AM

User image

St. Petersburg
Hey all!! I hope everyone is doing well with their training! I've had some set backs for various reasons and need to get back to it. My next sprint triathlon is June 13th!

I don't know if you guys have been watching the weather across the US, but my area has been highlighted. We've had heavy flooding and gusts in the 40's and 50's for DAYS!! Some areas have gotten over 20" of rain in just a couple of days. So needless to say there goes my cycling and running. Yes... I could go to the gym at my condo and get on the treadmill or stationary bike, but here comes the next dilemma... On Mon, my dog (my baby) swallowed a razor, after 4 hours of surgery and 24 hours of recovery, he is finally home and I'm having a hard time cutting the strings and leaving him at the moment. Plus right now, he needs a babysitter and can't be left alone with his stiches. Supposidly, today is the last day of rain, but they've said that several times and it hasn't happened.

I'm getting cabin fever and am ready to get out for a nice long run or ride!!!!!!
2009-05-27 8:51 PM

User image

St. Petersburg
How's everyone doing? Haven't heard from anyone lately... how's the races? How's the training??

I finally got out of the house for the first time in weeks!!! Although it rained, I finally made it out of the house to do a short run to get back in the habit of training. It was 9pm and still crazy hot! 79 degrees, like running in a swamp since it's been raining so much. It rained all day, everyday straight for 6 days. Now it's sunny during the day and then we get bad thunderstorms in the evening.

Hopefully the next couple of weeks go well with the training, my next race is June 13th, another sprint, but the swim is half the distance. It almost scares me more than the last one, because the swim was my best part. Running was the worst, so I'm going to try to focus on that for the next couple of weeks and after before the last tri that I'm doing this season on July 11th.

The main thing that I'm having problems with is nutrition. Because I've been so stressed worrying about my dog, my digestive system is totally out of whack. It seems like almost everything is giving me heartburn. I'm getting sick of chicken and veggies. So if anyone has any good mild suggestions for meals, I'm all ears (or eyes in this case hehehe)
2009-05-27 9:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
no suggestions for food, sorry.  I'm with you on the weather.  Lots of rain here (near St. Louis), and it's been muggy.  Getting to be that time of year I hate, HOT & HUMID!  Training has been going good, haven't been outside on my bike in a week and a half, but I've been on the trainer, been running, getting to the pool.  Just trying to keep building up the training minutes, while still allowing some rest. 
Sorry to hear about your dog, hope all is getting better.  I've got 2 dogs and a cat, so I can certainly relate to the bond that forms there. 
No races for me until July 19.  Going to do my first OWS this weekend, finally try out my new wetsuit.  Should be fun.

2009-05-27 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
My training is down the toilet at the moment. A couple weeks ago I did something to my rt leg/calf. I have had pain since. I have tried to train on it, thinking it was a cramp, but I am now sure it is not. Strange though throughout the day, at times I do not have pain, but the next min it is there. It goes from the ankle to the knee and everything in between. I have had it rubbed, with no success. It is not only inside, but the outside skin hurts too. Any ideas.
2009-05-28 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Millstadt, IL
not to be a wisea**, but go to the Doctor.  Find out if it's nothing serious, or something you need to stay off of for awhile.  Better safe than sorry when dealing with leg injuries.
2009-05-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2177492

User image

Veteran
matt_d - 2009-05-28 3:53 AM

not to be a wisea**, but go to the Doctor.  Find out if it's nothing serious, or something you need to stay off of for awhile.  Better safe than sorry when dealing with leg injuries.

Yeah I thought of that, but I was afraid they would tell me no more running this season. I find it easier to ignore their advice if I don't hear it! I figure I will not try to run/walk on it until next week to give it a rest. I discovered I am a heel striker. I ordered a pair of Newton running shoes to help me get off the heels.
2009-05-28 8:41 AM

User image

St. Petersburg
Matt - I'm glad your training has been going good! That's great that you are hitting the trainer inside, I'm so bad about that when the weather gets bad. I tend to lose all motivation when it's raining out and I just want to sit on the couch with my dogs and watch movies. Our water here is getting pretty warm too, and I think I hate swimming in warm water more than I hate running and biking in muggy weather. Good luck on your OWS!! Hope everything goes well with the new wetsuit.

Kendra - I agree with Matt, if you've taken a break for a couple of weeks and have done the whole R.I.C.E (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) thing, it might be something more major. I will say I was having a similar problem with my hamstring and it turns out I'm just really bad about stretching properly, so my hamstrings stay super tight and it pulls on my joints, causing major pain. Between the rain and a dog that needed babysitting, I was forced to take two weeks off and I just relaxed. It was the best thing for me! I took a short approx. 2.5 mile run last night and my legs felt great. What worries me is you are saying that the skin is hurting too and that one min it's there and one min it's not, which points more to a nerve thing. Depending on how you are standing, sitting, whatever depends on if you are affecting the nerve or not.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jerryrika's "anything goes" group now - Closed Rss Feed  

of 8