BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2009-04-29 4:39 PM
in reply to: #2082292

User image

Veteran
Among Canadian Lakes and Trees
Subject: RE: Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed!
Neal, I'm amazed at how you dive right into training right after a race!  You're being a good example to us of keeping it easy on the ankle.

Well, crew I just did my first mini-brick this week (mini - like, not even ONE km on the run portion) and my first run in the rain.  Feels pretty great - I love the Spring!

Mae

2009-04-29 5:32 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Well, I would like to advocate getting plenty of rest after a race.  It is more than okay to take a few days off to allow your body to recover from what you just put it through.

Right now I'm in the middle of the build phase for my half in June so I couldn't really afford to take too much time off.  I manipulated my schedule so I could let the legs rest up and work on some swimming.  That and I'm blessed with a pretty quick recovery time.  Right now my run fitness is getting close to where I'd like it to be so I can also afford to take some time off and let the ankle heal (which I think its actually close after a few days off).  You will see me take 4-5 days off after that June race

I like to think that missing a few workouts is just fine, especially if its to recover or treat an injury.
2009-04-29 6:49 PM

User image

What about pre-race meal and what to eat the night before? Packing the camping stuff want to make sure to have a good meal for night before and pre race.

2009-04-29 9:31 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
The only real good advice here is to not try anything new the day before or the morning of because you don't know how your stomach will react.  I good balanced meal of carbs and protein will do just fine.  I'm not a huge believer in "carbo loading" the night before.  I'll generally eat pretty light and early in the evening.   Actually now that you asked I'm surprised I don't have a set night before meal.  I'm one of those people that gets very set into routine.

Same goes for race morning.  Eat what you would normally eat before you train 2-3 hours before your race.  For race morning I always eat peanut butter on bananas on toast, but I know that's what works for me.  Most races I'll pop a gel too 15 minutes before the race starts.  Also make sure you are hydrating in the morning.  I'll sip on water from pretty much the time I wake up until the race start.
2009-04-29 9:34 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
I just want to point out that there is a great thread going on in tri talk right now with a bunch of tips for race day that some of you may be interested in:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=156793&posts=65&start=1
2009-04-30 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2117749

User image

Veteran
Nimhendrix - 2009-04-29 9:11 AM Alas, I'm swamped. I've gotten in only the walking that I can incorporate into my daily schedule for the last few days. However, I hope to get back in the saddle again this evening/tomorrow morning WRT a run -- I'm too busy to go beyond that right now. 5k on the weekend, the Hartwell Dam Race, which is the so-called "best DAM race ever."

just a few day away - have a great race!

mae

2009-04-30 3:43 PM

User image

Well the weather report got a little better rain and wind 10 to 15 miles per hour but the thunderstorms should not arrive until 4:00 pm. on Sat. Just keep fingers crossed but from the look of the satellite images I will at least be in for rain and wind. I like running in the rain but hate riding and I guess I will find out what I think of swimming in the rain. I do not like anything in the wind (but I have never tried sailing)
2009-04-30 5:03 PM

Hey, thanks for the links re:  women's sports bras, etc.  
Training going ok, great week last week, tough workouts.  This week, not so much. No baby care. Arrrgh.  I need to get a long run and long bike in.  

What else?  Not much time to write or poke around the forum.  (figure out how to get emails and link directly into this forum when there's a new post??) anyway...

THANKS for the transition info.  Another starting question:  what does it really feel like to start the swim?  I read some article about flailing bodies, getting kicked in the head, nerves, adrenaline, sounds HORRIBLE.  Is all that true??  What can we do to get off to a good start?  My race is 1/2K of open water (lake) swim.  Thanks!  Cristina

2009-04-30 5:07 PM

Subject: I love my bike
Oh, and for whoever asked, I got a Specialized Ruby Comp (triple). It was heavily discounted for being last year's model, but still, I was doing my part to stimulate the economy.  LOL

I loooove me that bike!  
2009-04-30 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2121767

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2009-04-30 3:43 PM Well the weather report got a little better rain and wind 10 to 15 miles per hour but the thunderstorms should not arrive until 4:00 pm. on Sat. Just keep fingers crossed but from the look of the satellite images I will at least be in for rain and wind. I like running in the rain but hate riding and I guess I will find out what I think of swimming in the rain. I do not like anything in the wind (but I have never tried sailing)

I really hope the crappy weather holds off for you.  The wind will suck, but I'm sure you've trained in it before.  I haven't had the pleasure of biking in a good hard rain yet so I don't have a lot of good tips for you.  Good luck and have fun!
2009-04-30 9:42 PM
in reply to: #2121983

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
cmgonzalez - 2009-04-30 5:03 PM Hey, thanks for the links re: women's sports bras, etc.
Training going ok, great week last week, tough workouts. This week, not so much. No baby care. Arrrgh. I need to get a long run and long bike in.

What else? Not much time to write or poke around the forum. (figure out how to get emails and link directly into this forum when there's a new post??) anyway...

THANKS for the transition info. Another starting question: what does it really feel like to start the swim? I read some article about flailing bodies, getting kicked in the head, nerves, adrenaline, sounds HORRIBLE. Is all that true?? What can we do to get off to a good start? My race is 1/2K of open water (lake) swim. Thanks! Cristina

The swim start can be interesting.  I've been kicked, punched, and swam over, but there are some things you can do to makes things easier.

If you think you're going to be uncomfortable start out in the back.  In fact once the gun sounds you can even wait a little and let the crazies go out first.  Then you can settle into your stroke and you may even pass some of those who go out like a bat out of hell.  And go out slow at first.  Nerves and water temp can wreak havoc on your breathing even at a moderate pace in the beginning.

Another thing that will help is to make sure that you get into the water before the race start to get acclimated.  Swim a few hundred yards to get used to things.

Also, the more OWS experience you have the more comfortable you are going to feel.  If you have the chance to practice in a lake before your first race I highly suggest doing so

2009-04-30 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2121989

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: RE: I love my bike
cmgonzalez - 2009-04-30 5:07 PM Oh, and for whoever asked, I got a Specialized Ruby Comp (triple). It was heavily discounted for being last year's model, but still, I was doing my part to stimulate the economy. LOL

I loooove me that bike!

Great!  I'm glad you like the bike.  I know of several people that really like the specialized brand.
2009-04-30 9:47 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Mae -

I saw that you signed up for one of the May challenges in the challenge forum.  Awesome!  The challenge forum is a great place on this site if your looking for a little extra motivation.  Each month there will be a few challenges were you set goals, form teams, and compete against eachother in a friendly, fun manner.  I love it there and it's where I spend the majority of my time on this site.  They usually allow people to sign up for the first few days in May so if you are looking for some extra motivation stop on by
2009-04-30 11:29 PM
in reply to: #2122599

disturbed275 - 2009-04-30 9:42 PM
cmgonzalez -Another starting question: what does it really feel like to start the swim? I read some article about flailing bodies, getting kicked in the head, nerves, adrenaline, sounds HORRIBLE. Is all that true?? What can we do to get off to a good start? My race is 1/2K of open water (lake) swim. Thanks! Cristina

The swim start can be interesting.  I've been kicked, punched, and swam over, but there are some things you can do to makes things easier.

If you think you're going to be uncomfortable start out in the back.  In fact once the gun sounds you can even wait a little and let the crazies go out first.  Then you can settle into your stroke and you may even pass some of those who go out like a bat out of hell.  And go out slow at first.  Nerves and water temp can wreak havoc on your breathing even at a moderate pace in the beginning.

Another thing that will help is to make sure that you get into the water before the race start to get acclimated.  Swim a few hundred yards to get used to things.

Also, the more OWS experience you have the more comfortable you are going to feel.  If you have the chance to practice in a lake before your first race I highly suggest doing so

Great tips, awesome, thank you.  Not sure I'll get OWS in before the race...we have a local lake here but it is brrrrrr cold right now. It sure does feel different than a pool [which is so controlled, so manageable], I can only imagine how the race aspect could intensify that experience.  

2009-05-01 8:24 AM
in reply to: #2122605

User image

Veteran
New Brunswick, Canada
I did not know about the challenge page. Thanks for letting us know. I will join one challenge for May......maybe later tonight.
2009-05-01 11:45 AM

User image

I am off doubt if the state park will have internet but taking a laptop in case if not I will let you guys know how great i did SundayCool . Thanks for all the support and help just hoping for a break in weather know.

2009-05-01 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2123791

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
fungi32 - 2009-05-01 11:45 AM I am off doubt if the state park will have internet but taking a laptop in case if not I will let you guys know how great i did SundayCool . Thanks for all the support and help just hoping for a break in weather know.

Awesome!  You've prepared well.  Have a great race!
2009-05-01 8:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Yo Crew - have a great weekend!!!!!  Go go go, for you folks who are racing this weekend!
2009-05-02 11:50 AM

User image

Regular
Bellefonte, Pennsylvania
Can't wait to hear about fungi's race!

I also have a race to add. Those of you who've visited my log may have noticed that I don't have anything on it this week -- this week has been crazy. Finals and work-related swampitude and my primary running partner went out of town. So I haven't done anything but walk to and from work, and I got 3-5 hours of sleep for most of the week. Not optimal.

This morning I ran the Lake Hartwell Dam Race, which is in its 31st year and goes from SC to GA over the Hartwell Dam on a flat and gently sloping course. I did...ok. :15 improvement over last week, and it was gorgeous and cold and there was a band of high school students playing Pink Floyd.

Anyway, more later. I think I placed 10th in my age group, and about 130 overall in a field of 300-500. (This race...well, I have no idea how many people ran it. But when I got my number an hour beforehand I was told that the 5K had about 370 at the time.)

Yay, me! My partner for the day, whose first 5k this was, turned in :36, and I turned in 31:45. Whee!
2009-05-02 12:59 PM

User image

Regular
Hi gang hope you are all well, greetings from sunny England!

I've had a steady week following the race on Sunday, did an awesome brick session on Tuesday in the gym with my tri club. Working with a partner we did 10 x 1km sprints on the spin bike whilst the other guy ran at race pace on the treadmill, once the 1k on the bike was done we swapped, 10 times. This really got the heart, legs and lungs working! On Monday we had a great lecture on nutrition from Science in Sport http://www.scienceinsport.com/(we've teamed up with them in our club). Some really useful info and a load of free samples which I'll experiment with. Good 13 mile run today, legs heavy but not too bad.

Go here to see how I looked when I crossed the finish line last Sunday!

http://www.revolutionimages.co.uk/gallery/index.gallery.php?gid=129...

Have a great weekend and good luck to all who are racing x
2009-05-02 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2125546

User image

Veteran
Nimhendrix - 2009-05-02 12:50 PM Can't wait to hear about fungi's race! I also have a race to add. Those of you who've visited my log may have noticed that I don't have anything on it this week -- this week has been crazy. Finals and work-related swampitude and my primary running partner went out of town. So I haven't done anything but walk to and from work, and I got 3-5 hours of sleep for most of the week. Not optimal. This morning I ran the Lake Hartwell Dam Race, which is in its 31st year and goes from SC to GA over the Hartwell Dam on a flat and gently sloping course. I did...ok. :15 improvement over last week, and it was gorgeous and cold and there was a band of high school students playing Pink Floyd. Anyway, more later. I think I placed 10th in my age group, and about 130 overall in a field of 300-500. (This race...well, I have no idea how many people ran it. But when I got my number an hour beforehand I was told that the 5K had about 370 at the time.) Yay, me! My partner for the day, whose first 5k this was, turned in :36, and I turned in 31:45. Whee!

You were SMOKIN!!!!!  Awesome run!  Yay You   soak in the benefits of all your hard work!!!

2009-05-02 3:37 PM
in reply to: #2125615

User image

Veteran
njcavill65 - 2009-05-02 1:59 PM Hi gang hope you are all well, greetings from sunny England! I've had a steady week following the race on Sunday, did an awesome brick session on Tuesday in the gym with my tri club. Working with a partner we did 10 x 1km sprints on the spin bike whilst the other guy ran at race pace on the treadmill, once the 1k on the bike was done we swapped, 10 times. This really got the heart, legs and lungs working! On Monday we had a great lecture on nutrition from Science in Sport http://www.scienceinsport.com/(we've teamed up with them in our club). Some really useful info and a load of free samples which I'll experiment with. Good 13 mile run today, legs heavy but not too bad. Go here to see how I looked when I crossed the finish line last Sunday! http://www.revolutionimages.co.uk/gallery/index.gallery.php?gid=129... Have a great weekend and good luck to all who are racing x

what a beautiful day!  And what a great shot - you obviously finished good and strong.  well done!

2009-05-02 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2125546

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Nimhendrix - 2009-05-02 11:50 AM Can't wait to hear about fungi's race! I also have a race to add. Those of you who've visited my log may have noticed that I don't have anything on it this week -- this week has been crazy. Finals and work-related swampitude and my primary running partner went out of town. So I haven't done anything but walk to and from work, and I got 3-5 hours of sleep for most of the week. Not optimal. This morning I ran the Lake Hartwell Dam Race, which is in its 31st year and goes from SC to GA over the Hartwell Dam on a flat and gently sloping course. I did...ok. :15 improvement over last week, and it was gorgeous and cold and there was a band of high school students playing Pink Floyd. Anyway, more later. I think I placed 10th in my age group, and about 130 overall in a field of 300-500. (This race...well, I have no idea how many people ran it. But when I got my number an hour beforehand I was told that the 5K had about 370 at the time.) Yay, me! My partner for the day, whose first 5k this was, turned in :36, and I turned in 31:45. Whee!

Sounds like a fun race.  Congrats on the improvement!
2009-05-02 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2125615

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
njcavill65 - 2009-05-02 12:59 PM Hi gang hope you are all well, greetings from sunny England! I've had a steady week following the race on Sunday, did an awesome brick session on Tuesday in the gym with my tri club. Working with a partner we did 10 x 1km sprints on the spin bike whilst the other guy ran at race pace on the treadmill, once the 1k on the bike was done we swapped, 10 times. This really got the heart, legs and lungs working! On Monday we had a great lecture on nutrition from Science in Sport http://www.scienceinsport.com/(we've teamed up with them in our club). Some really useful info and a load of free samples which I'll experiment with. Good 13 mile run today, legs heavy but not too bad. Go here to see how I looked when I crossed the finish line last Sunday! http://www.revolutionimages.co.uk/gallery/index.gallery.php?gid=129... Have a great weekend and good luck to all who are racing x

I like the sound of that brick session.  I've heard that doing short bike/run repeats like that can be beneficial, but have never done a session quite like that before
2009-05-03 1:51 PM

User image

Home no internet at campground. I was fairly pleased but I do wish I would have competed in the Clydesdale instead of Master Clydesdale I actually would have placed thirdCry But actually for the first race I was pleased. I did not panic on the swim but it was certainly an adventure never got in any kind of groove except when I swam to the middle of the course and they blew an air horn at me so I would look up and see where I was goingEmbarassed. It was a blast I may be hooked already looking forward to training and next race in July and may do one locally in June. Thanks for all the help, direction and support It was great. Hope we continue because I am sure I will need it
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Disturbed275's Mentor Group - Closed! Rss Feed  

of 16