BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-05-30 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2099961

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - RE-OPENED - JOIN TODAY!
Laura, for me, there are just certain foods I cannot eat before running or biking.  Peanut Butter, in any form, will give me abdominal cramping.  And, it seems the problem is exacerabted by the heat.  So, like Mike said, I would look for recent changes in diet.

Guys, thanks for the website references, I will check these out.

2009-05-31 4:28 AM
in reply to: #2183535

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Subject: RE: ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - marathons and tummies
I think any of your suggestions could be the culprit to my stomach upset, although it's going to be hard to narrow it down because there are so many things to consider.

1) I normally train first thing in the morning after my kids are out the door.  Diet consists of a cup of milky coffee and a piece of fruit, or a bowl of oatmeal.  Then I can run happily.

2) Races here typically happen in the mid afternoon.  By that time, I've consumed breakfast and lunch (although I try to keep that light).  Yesterday, about an hour before the race, I ate a light energy bar and had some water.  Seems I've had problems with power bars before, so maybe it was that.

3) By mid afternoon, the sun was out and there were parts of the race that were hot.  But most of the race was in the forest and shady.

4) Yes, I was running harder than normal.  My min/km was about 2 mins faster than an avg training run.  That's a good thing, yes?

I'm always careful to go to the loo before a race and I hardly ever drink anything other than water.  I used to eat power bars when I was training for marathons, but they don't sit so well with shorter distances.  Maybe the bowl of oatmeal and fruit would be a better option pre-race...

Thanks guys!  Laura
2009-05-31 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Laura, I don't how well this translates to running, but when setting out on my long rides I like to start with protein then transition to carbs toward the end.  For example, prior to the ride, or with in the first half hour, I'll eat a protein bar (20 -30 grams).  Next, I move to dried fruit, nuts, and buffalo jerky.  From there, I'll finish on fruit and gels. 

I realize you won't be eating as much while running.  But maybe consider protein prior to the run with carb supplement during the activity.  Just something that works for me, not sure how nutritionally correct.  I'm still working on balancing caloric intake-output.
2009-05-31 9:43 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
i would say 2 min/km faster is quite a bit, but where you need to be!  that means you ran your race hard, but are also doing your training at a pace that keeps you in an aerobic HR zone (not pushing too hard).   i have heard that most of your training should be 60-90 seconds slower per mile then race pace, becasue otherwise you will stress your body too much during training and not be able to keep up the consistency.  i don't know about now, becasue i haven't raced in a while - but i was doing most of my training runs in the 7:30-8:00 min/mile range and my last half marathon, my avg pace was 6:38. . i was on a 6:20 pace for about half of the run (until 10k or so), but i had gone too fast and i slowed down. 

now, almost all of my runs have been in the 6-12 mile range, and i'm still running 4 days/week, so my pace has slowed to 8:00-8:30. . i'm hoping that with a proper taper and can still go in the 6:40ish min/mile or so at Boise in 2 weeks!
2009-05-31 10:40 AM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Mike -

I've never been good at speed work and just get caught up in the excitement of the race.  No matter what I do to slow down in the beginning, the little voice in my head taunts me into running faster than I should and I burn out with 2-3 kms left to go.  I've seen this many times in my racing and my running partner is pretty fast during training runs.  I also run a lot of short training runs with my dog who's a bit like a sled dog, pulling me up hills.

I shouldn't complain.  Living in Switzerland, and especially where I train, gives me plenty of hill work and mixed conditions.  I hardly ever train on the road since we have unlimited numbers of marked forest trails, so something about that smooth surface kicks on the after-burners.

I wish I could run as fast as you, but I don't have the discipline to pace myself.  Good thing my triathlon is just a sprint - I can probably manage a respectable 25 mins for my 5k.
2009-05-31 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Laura, i'm in the same place as far as pacing goes - i don't know how to do it !!  i have always gone out and pushed hard for as long as i can, and then holding on until the end.  this is obviously not the way to do it, but it IS so tough to hold back in the beginning!
like i referenced my last half marathon in march - i was on pace for a 1:23 (6:20ish min/mile) up until about the 6.5-7 mile mark. . . then i started slowing, got passed by 50-60 people and ended up finishing in 1:27.  i am really going to focus on pacing for my half iron, because i NEED to ride a controlled bike ride to be able to finish the half marathon portion strong

for a sprint, i think you CAN push hard all the way through the race.  as long as you practice in training - pushing the bike, i think you can do it! 

2009-05-31 8:29 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Alright, I've done some research based on your recommendations, but still have some questions.  First of all, I'm far from 75 miles of running per month (I'm currently 40-50), so what should I substitute for speed workouts?  Next, please explain the difference in these:

Steady-state:  7:37-7:50
Tempo: 7:18-7:37
Tempo Intervals: 7:12-7:27

By the way, these times were created from McMillian Calculator based upon my time time of 21:33 for 5K.
2009-05-31 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2185080

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick94513 - 2009-05-31 6:29 PM Alright, I've done some research based on your recommendations, but still have some questions.  First of all, I'm far from 75 miles of running per month (I'm currently 40-50), so what should I substitute for speed workouts?  Next, please explain the difference in these:

Steady-state:  7:37-7:50
Tempo: 7:18-7:37
Tempo Intervals: 7:12-7:27

By the way, these times were created from McMillian Calculator based upon my time time of 21:33 for 5K.

i just suggested 75 because i know how much speed work takes out of me - and i know i wouldn't have been able to do it effectively until i got my mileage up (w/o injury).  as far as the different paces - steady state should be the bulk of your runs - that is a pace that you can keep up for a while
- tempo - this would be shorter, faster runs.  while i am cautioning against speed work - tempo runs are great  (i guess they are a form of speedwork ).  tempo runs will be much closer, if not at race pace.  these should be hard efforts, but sustainable. 
-tempo intervals. . hmm, haven't seen that but i'm assuming it is esentially where you do something like 5 min tempo, 1 min easy and repeat? 

when i was referring to speed work - i was refering to repeats at the track, pushing a fast pace that you cannot hold for more than 400, 800 etc. . doing this is great as far as getting you to be a faster runner, but i can't think of many times (other than after races) that my legs are more sore than after doing track work.  I highly recommend incorporating some tempo runs - these will get your confidence up about running fast and help make you faster!  another thing that my coach has been having me do is tempo towards the end of a long run -- now that is BRUTAL!  today, for example, i did 15 mn WU, then ran steady state until 1 hr, then pushed it hard for 3 miles, then 10 min cool down. . twas brutal, but the point is i am getting my body more used to pushing hard when i am already fatigued.
2009-06-01 1:12 AM

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
No kidding, it was brutal!  Yikes.  I wouldn't want to do that training run.  I hope you're taking today off...

Brick: Here are some tricks I've used for getting through the different kinds of workouts.

1) speed work - work me, a treadmill works great because I can distract myself during each speed segment.  I don't personally enjoy running on a track.  Reminds me too much of high school gym class.  When you're starting out, try an easy routine:
        warm up 5 minutes with a gentle jog
        run 400 m at your normal training pace, then run 200 m at a sprint. 
        Repeat 5 times
Gradually increase this combination (distance and repeats) as you get used to it.  Do it one training day a week when you're starting.  Try to get someone to do it with you - a race is always good fun and good motivation to continue.

2) tempo work - as ultrahip said, this is a technique where you run for a certain period of time at a sustained race pace.  Do this somewhere where you love to run.  Wear your Garmin and turn on the virtual trainer so that you can keep your pace consistent.  Warm up with a gentle jog for 5 minutes, increase to a comfortable pace for another 2 mins and then hit your tempo for 10-20 minutes.  Cool down at your gentle jog at the end.  Gradually increase the amount of time you spend at your tempo pace until you can comfortably sustain for 30 minutes or more.  The amount of time you spend at tempo will depend on the kind of race you're training for.  Personally, if marathon is new to you, I would suggest that you be conservative in your tempo speed and sustain it longer over time.  But I'm not a coach and am just telling you how I train.

Runner's World has many article on these "types" of training paces.  That's where I get most of my information when I'm trying a new technique.  Honestly, I only use McMillian for the calculator and the simple guidelines of times because the website seems geared towards a higher level of athlete.  I still have to come home and take care of the kids at the end of a training day, so I have to be able to walk!

Good luck.
2009-06-01 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Laura brings up a great point - different things will work for different people.  try the treadmill and see if it works for you. 

nice addition on the tempo run too Laura, i try to keep things simple, but i'm sure i do a good job of confusing everyone w/my horrible english (i got an engineering degree and all english skills went out the window!).  Thanks for clarifying
2009-06-01 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
OK...this all makes sense.  In a way, I'm already doing a form of speed work when I do 400m sprints on the treadmill between my strength training at work/gym.  I just haven't dedicated a complete running workout to speed training.  Since I have plenty of time before longer races, I would rather be conservative and build my mileage base before incorporating this workout.  This month I'm focusing on 50 miles.

How did everyone do on their goals for the month?  Unfortunately, I fell short on bike mileage.  I'm going to have to buy an indoor trainer if I'm going to make the miles this month.

2009-06-01 10:14 AM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
brick - most of your rides are mtn bike rides - which are way harder then road rides! the amount of mtn biking that you did is fantastic! 

i had to get in an 8 mile ride yesterday to fully hit my goals for the month   this was my biggest month ever in all 3 sports!  June will be smaller of course, with taper, race and recovery. 
2009-06-01 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2186283

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
I've only been training for tri for a week, but I far exceeded my goals!  And I'm 'a feelin' it too - exhausted!  I had 4.1 hours of training this week - in all three disciplines - and that included the 8.2 km race on Saturday.  Today, I was scheduled to do 20 mins swim and 25 mins run.  Both were tough, but I didn't allow any excuses.  I am looking forward to tomorrow being a day off - maybe I'll just walk the dog!

Either of you willing to explain bike strategy to me?  My bike has 21 gears and I spend most of the time in the middle 7.  I don't really understand how to maximize my gear changing and just ride in whichever gear feels comfortable for the terrain.  I'm sure that's not a good idea during the race, if I want to pass anyone.Wink
2009-06-01 2:55 PM

User image

Elite
Renton, Washington

Seems you have room in here?  Might I join?  My last mentor group seems to be DOA. 

2009-06-01 3:10 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
Hey lynne - why yes, you can join   are you doing moses lake again this year? 

Laura, are you using a mountain bike?  that is fine, and will work great for you first tri.  i would find a gear that you can spin around 90 rpm's comfortably.  you don't want to be too comfortable - but if you are spinning 90 rpm's, you will shift accordingly to get your resistance high enough.  if you don't have a bike computer w/cadence - you can always just shift your gears to an easy gear, and spin while keeping track of time for 10 seconds, and count the revolutions that you pedal.  90 rpm = 15 rpm in 10 seconds. 
2009-06-01 3:25 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Well, I was feeling apprehensive about my decision, but I decided to transition into intermediate swim workouts this month keeping my distance at 2500 meters.  Wow, for some reason the swim just felt so good!  Glide and extension felt long with good breath strokes.  Kick is still intermittent.  First time doing 300m intervals too!  Man, this workout sure made up for those days that seem like it is a pure struggle.

Laura, think I'll let Mike field your question about the bike.  I only ride mountain, so the technique for gearing is different.  The main factor is cadence.  For me, I like to be in a gear that allows for roughly 90 rpms.

2009-06-01 5:49 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
great job extending your swim workout!  have you gotten any OWS practice before?
2009-06-01 11:07 PM

User image

Master
Kirkland, WA
hey stuart - i noticed you had a post in the strength training thread - do you do frequent strength stuff? i like lifting and i would like to do some sort of strength routine - mostly for aesthetic reasons - how do you balance that with all the tri training? i feel like i wouldn't have the time/energy. . but if i could find some exercises to do at home, and just do them in the morning or night, it may workout ok. .
2009-06-01 11:51 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Mike, I have done a few OWS, but not longer than 1000 yards.  I definately want to get some more practice, it's just hard to find a partner.

As for the strength training, I would recommend crossfit.  Check out www.crossfit.com  You can get the workouts from the webpage.  I really like their workout routines.  Most are geared toward real world, job-related situations.  Workouts are often continuous and can be done with body weight.

By the way, did my first tempo run today.  Damn, I got my @$% kicked!  I didn't realize what a disservice I was doing to myself by just going out and running.  Today, was a 1 mile warm up, 3 mile tempo, then a 1 mile warm down.  I was a little off pace for the tempo, but it truely worked me over.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how this routine will improve my running.
2009-06-02 2:33 AM
in reply to: #2188412

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
Hey, Brick...way to go with your tempo run.  It's not easy, is it?  And I find it takes a lot of discipline to keep the tempo pace going when you start to get tired. 

Stick with a hard tempo pace until it begins to get easy, even if that's a couple of weeks.  Only then will you find a small increase in speed worthwhile.  I used to up my tempo pace by 15 seconds every week, just because it was the beginning of a training week.  But after a while, I realized I wasn't make any real improvement because I never allowed my legs and lungs to accept one pace before changing.  Earning the right to increase really makes you feel great!

Well done!
2009-06-02 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2188375

User image

Modesto, California

ultrahip_00 - 2009-06-01 9:07 PM hey stuart - i noticed you had a post in the strength training thread - do you do frequent strength stuff? i like lifting and i would like to do some sort of strength routine - mostly for aesthetic reasons - how do you balance that with all the tri training? i feel like i wouldn't have the time/energy. . but if i could find some exercises to do at home, and just do them in the morning or night, it may workout ok. .

I am in the process of weeding out a routine myself, I don't have the time or the recovery ability that I used to have so I am trying to find something simple & effective that I can continue to use that wont lead to overtraining and will add strength and injury prevention. Right now you will see my strength logs change frequently as I find exercises that I like, I prefer to do compound exercises like simplefit where I can train several bodyparts to increase the intensity and reduce amount of time.

Example: I am currently doing squats,pushups,pullups so I will probably switch to these Burpee Pullups.

The muscles I want to target are Arms,back and chest for swimming, legs for running and biking,core for all three.

Its my goal  to work my way up from easy ecercises to more extreme ones as I get more fit, meaning less time required to maintain strength level. My time limit boundry is ten minutes for my routine, it need to be quick & intense! I should have it figured out in the next few weeks. I do stay away from free weights though, I have lifted for over thirty years and have always ended up with a strain or pull .

2009-06-02 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2188802

User image

Regular
Zurich, Switzerland
I was recently introduced to gravity training by a physical therapist, and I love it.  Not only do I work several body parts at once, but my core is engaged throughout the circuit.  And, best of all, two circuits of 10 different exercises, 15 reps each, only takes 45 mins of my time.

The gravity trainer that I'm using is the GTS Gravity Trainer or the PowerTower, all from efi sportsmedicine.  If you don't know this equipment, you can learn more at http://www.efisportsmedicine.com/. There's a home version that appears on infomercials in the US called the TotalGym, but I was told that it doesn't produce the results that athletes get from the professional versions.  I was lucky to find a sports therapy clinic near my home that uses this equipment because it is very hard to find outside of hospitals in Zurich. 

I have been using this twice a week for 1 month and have already seen improvement in my legs, hips and abs.  My running has gotten faster and is nearly pain free.  I am also recovering more quickly from each workout and can get on with my day right after a session with this machine.

2009-06-02 11:06 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Stuart, we call those GI Janes (burpee pull-ups).  It will kick your butt.  These are very tough in higher reps with minimal rest periods.  Incorporate these with some form of squat (front, back, overhead, or air) and you will really feel it.

Are you using any pylometric exercises?  I really like to incorporate box jumps (24" high) and alternating, jumping lunges (nastys or mary janes). 

I don't mean to be repetitve, but if you are still looking for ideas for exercises and workouts, check out the crossfit website and click on exercises and demos.

2009-06-02 12:12 PM

User image

Modesto, California

This was my last workout in this order:

Bulgarian Squat
Side Lunge
Squat
Pushups on Ball
Close Grip Pushups
Pullups
Chinups
Russion twists
Scissor crunches
Supermans
Situps
Band Stepping
Butt Kicks
Split Jumps
Jump Rope

I was shooting for 20 minutes, I feel this is still too long so I will tweak it more. I know allot of these are common and have other names, I have pulled these from three sources;Strength Training for Triathletes,Strength training for Swimmers, Plyometrics for Athletes. I will explore Crossfit, thanks Tim! Im searching for the perfect workout that will encompass most triathlon related muscles without bieng too long of a session and also be challenging without killing myself. If I can keep it short I have a better chance of sticking with it, goal is ten minutes, so as you can see I have to chop it some.

2009-06-02 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2189129

User image

Modesto, California

fleetfeet_ch - 2009-06-02 8:32 AM I was recently introduced to gravity training by a physical therapist, and I love it.  Not only do I work several body parts at once, but my core is engaged throughout the circuit.  And, best of all, two circuits of 10 different exercises, 15 reps each, only takes 45 mins of my time.

The gravity trainer that I'm using is the GTS Gravity Trainer or the PowerTower, all from efi sportsmedicine.  If you don't know this equipment, you can learn more at http://www.efisportsmedicine.com/. There's a home version that appears on infomercials in the US called the TotalGym, but I was told that it doesn't produce the results that athletes get from the professional versions.  I was lucky to find a sports therapy clinic near my home that uses this equipment because it is very hard to find outside of hospitals in Zurich. 

I have been using this twice a week for 1 month and have already seen improvement in my legs, hips and abs.  My running has gotten faster and is nearly pain free.  I am also recovering more quickly from each workout and can get on with my day right after a session with this machine.

I wish, I like your idea and always wanted to try one of these! Chuck Norris does these infomercials, these run $1500+ and I cant swing that or afford the space or time.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » ultrahip_00's Mentor Group - Closed Again! Rss Feed  

of 19