BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-01-02 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2555906

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Subject: RE: Aaron Davidson's Group -- Full...
I am having the same issues - yesterday, I decided to just load the Maintenance plan in (starting Monday). I will use it as a guideline (rather than a rule) - to give a touch more focus to my workouts, while continuing Jorge's Winter Cycling plan...when the time is right, I'll switch over to the actual plan that should prepare me for my season (nothing like what you two are doing - just a couple of sprints and a couple of Olys).

In regards to swimming - it is interesting how much time is spent on training for the swim based on the fact that the least amount of time is spent on the swim during a race...also based on the quote I heard once, "No one wins a race in the swim."...but that being said it is also the one place you could get messed up if you aren't ready for it. I haven't seen improvements in my swim like I have with my run and bike by increasing volume - but that could be due to pure incompetence.

Hope all are well and enjoying the start to the new year. We've got about 2 feet of snow coming in the next 24 (already have about 7 inches), so I'll be in the basement on the trainer/treadmill for a while. For those of you outside - enjoy!

2010-01-02 1:58 PM
in reply to: #2589323

User image

NH
Jennifer, I just finished snow blowing about 5-6 inches and expect another 5-6 by tomorrow night.  We're missing the main part of the storm unlike you.

I'm about to go out for a test run now that my Achilles feels a lot better.  I'm sure I'll get some funny looks out in the blizzard!

Are you doing the Mainiac again next year?  I may end my year with it as a fun finale since it's 2 weeks after the Pumpkinman (my planned HIM).  My worry is that it may be quite cold by the last week in Sept. and I see the start time is moved to 10, which won't be much daylight to warm up if the night is cold like this year.

2010-01-02 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
I hope the run on the (newly improved?) Achilles went well. I contemplated a run outside (it's really not that cold) - but I get really skittish about drivers not having good control in the snow and wimped out.

I am planning on doing the Mainiac (both my daughters requested it) - but it is a week after my "A" race - the Lobsterman. If I remember correctly, they adjust the start time based on the tides. I really enjoyed it last year and it would be a nice way to wind up the season.

I am also very interested to hear about the Pumpkinman - I would like to do that (as a HIM) in 2011. Up to now, I have heard really great things about the venue/course/people.
2010-01-02 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2589459

User image

NH
itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-02 3:33 PM I hope the run on the (newly improved?) Achilles went well. I contemplated a run outside (it's really not that cold) - but I get really skittish about drivers not having good control in the snow and wimped out.

I am planning on doing the Mainiac (both my daughters requested it) - but it is a week after my "A" race - the Lobsterman. If I remember correctly, they adjust the start time based on the tides. I really enjoyed it last year and it would be a nice way to wind up the season.

I am also very interested to hear about the Pumpkinman - I would like to do that (as a HIM) in 2011. Up to now, I have heard really great things about the venue/course/people.

I just got back from a 45 minute run.  I have a very quiet neighborhood and it's about 1.5 mile loop so I can stay on deserted roads - I'm lucky.  There were two cars the whole run, and the dog really had a blast.

Everything felt great.  In reviewing my logs, I found my first complaint was after my first run trying to land more forefoot per a running analysis.  I decided to go back to my natural foot landing and it felt great today.  So I'm a bit of a heel striker - if it doesn't cause me any issues I'll leave it alone.  I've also been pretty aggressive in ice/heat/roller/electric self rehab.

A week is plenty of time to recover!  Let's do it.  My son is also pretty insistent.
2010-01-02 6:08 PM
in reply to: #2589110

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-01-02 11:18 AM Happy New Year!  I hope you all enjoyed your holidays.  I certainly have.  I got a couple workouts in over the past 2 weeks, but didn't expect to do much.  I took some time to put together my training calendar for 2010.  As I've mentioned previously, the focus of my tri season will be the Syracuse Ironman 70.3 on Sept 19th.  Leading up to that, I have 2 Olympic distances in late June and mid August plus a sprint distance in late May.  I used the 20-week HIM training program from this site as my "base plan"...
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=52

I altered it to allow for a small taper prior to each Olympic distance tri.  So laying that plan out on the calendar has me starting that 20 week program on April 26th.  Now the question is, what to do between now and April 26th.  I thought about taking one of the 20-week Olympic distance training programs from this site and just placing it on the calendar so when it ends, this 20-week HIM program starts.  Does that make sense?  Or, should I just be building base by doing a few bike, run, swim workouts each week until the 20 week HIM program starts.

The issue I see is that at the start of the HIM training program, the workouts are pretty easy and something I think I could easily accomplish now (40-60 minute runs, 40-60 minute bike, 30-40 min swim).  I want to make sure I peak at the right time (September 19th), but I also want to be very strong for the two Olympic distance events.  

What is my ultimate goal?  When I did my first HIM this past September, I finished in 6:45.  My goal is to take at least 45 minutes off that time.  Also, the two Olmpic races I did this past year I finished in just over 3 hours (3:07 and 3:09, I think).  I'd like to take a good 20 minutes off those times.  Thanks for any insight you can provide.
Bill

So between now and then you should still get some good quality workouts in. Building fast before long. Hard hard work on the bike and hard work on run. The "No Fluff" plan here on BT is real good, I would check out the first free two weeks. You can base many of your upcoiming workouts off of them.

Endurance Nation has a ton of good information. Here is their Out Season Guide. It is an 8mb download. As far as I know I can share it. I am not a member over there but have read nearly everything they have posted.

http://www.endurancenation.us/en_coach/OS_Course.php

2010-01-02 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2589323

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-02 2:02 PM
In regards to swimming - it is interesting how much time is spent on training for the swim based on the fact that the least amount of time is spent on the swim during a race...also based on the quote I heard once, "No one wins a race in the swim."...but that being said it is also the one place you could get messed up if you aren't ready for it. I haven't seen improvements in my swim like I have with my run and bike by increasing volume - but that could be due to pure incompetence.

I think that quote is from the 2007 or 2008 Ironman Coverage from NBC.  "No one ever won the race during the swim, but it has been lost many times." Something to that effect. One of the reasons for the focus on the swim is not so much for cutting overall race time but in improving your overall fitness.

If you can swim more efficient and it takes less energy to get out of the water, you can use that energy on the bike /run.

If it takes a ton of energy to come out of the water it will hinder your ability to bike/run well.

2010-01-03 11:54 AM
in reply to: #2589759

User image

NH
aarondavidson - 2010-01-02 7:13 PM

I think that quote is from the 2007 or 2008 Ironman Coverage from NBC.  "No one ever won the race during the swim, but it has been lost many times." Something to that effect. One of the reasons for the focus on the swim is not so much for cutting overall race time but in improving your overall fitness.

If you can swim more efficient and it takes less energy to get out of the water, you can use that energy on the bike /run.

If it takes a ton of energy to come out of the water it will hinder your ability to bike/run well.

Thanks Aaron.  I never fully considered the swim as more how it affects the rest of the race than as a stand alone event.  Totally makes sense, and swimming is so much gentler on the body it seems easier to swim more than run/bike more.

Also, I went to Endurance Nation per your suggestion and they really have a lot of evidence for the fast now, long later strategy, though it seems against what a lot of people profess.  I never had really considered that before, but what they say makes a lot of sense and I certainly listen to new evidence for training efficiently since my time is severely limited.

Are you following that strategy?  I may change in mid-stride here.  The biking program already follows the fast now plan by using Jorge's plan, so it's just running that would change.

One question about fast now/long later though - is that strategy mainly for athletes who already have some proficiency and have run for a while?  As a brand new runner (just a few months worth), I always wonder if these things make sense for me or if I should just keep going longer and at a marathon type pace.

2010-01-03 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2590664

User image

Elite

wbayek - 2010-01-03 12:54 PM
aarondavidson - 2010-01-02 7:13 PM

Thanks Aaron.  I never fully considered the swim as more how it affects the rest of the race than as a stand alone event.  Totally makes sense, and swimming is so much gentler on the body it seems easier to swim more than run/bike more.

Also, I went to Endurance Nation per your suggestion and they really have a lot of evidence for the fast now, long later strategy, though it seems against what a lot of people profess.  I never had really considered that before, but what they say makes a lot of sense and I certainly listen to new evidence for training efficiently since my time is severely limited.

Are you following that strategy?  I may change in mid-stride here.  The biking program already follows the fast now plan by using Jorge's plan, so it's just running that would change.

One question about fast now/long later though - is that strategy mainly for athletes who already have some proficiency and have run for a while?  As a brand new runner (just a few months worth), I always wonder if these things make sense for me or if I should just keep going longer and at a marathon type pace.

Running is harder to build endurance because it takes a greater toll on your body. You still want to get a long run in once every 7-10 days. Whatever a long run is to do. Take it easy. Outside of that you can build speed now if you want. Maybe race a 5k or 10k during the winter.EN is good for ROI getting as much in as little time as possible.

Great at marketing, but they also have quite a bit of good information. Their plans are solid and really based on athlete feedback. It costs $99/month to be a member. The forum is only slightly active.

2010-01-04 9:32 AM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I was able to download/print the Outseason Guide.  Looks very interesting.  So that's what I'll do between now and March... work on speed on the bike and run and work on technique in the pool.  I'll use some of the swim workouts that Aaron posted earlier.  In late March/early April, I'll switch over to a more focused Olympic plan to bring me into those two races.  LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!
2010-01-04 12:38 PM
in reply to: #2592178

User image

NH
billsorg - 2010-01-04 10:32 AM I was able to download/print the Outseason Guide.  Looks very interesting.  So that's what I'll do between now and March... work on speed on the bike and run and work on technique in the pool.  I'll use some of the swim workouts that Aaron posted earlier.  In late March/early April, I'll switch over to a more focused Olympic plan to bring me into those two races.  LET THE GAMES BEGIN!!!

Sounds good.  I'm going to stay with speed/power on the bike and just slower miles on the running until all my pains are cleared up.  Swimming is mostly paused until Spring for me, maybe once a week at best but probably every other.  I wish there were a pool closer but it's about 30 minutes to the nearest pool and my schedule doesn't really give me much chance to get to the water.

I'm going to take Aaron's advice and look at some winter 5k/10k races.
2010-01-04 2:34 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
I like your idea of a half Mary on the calendar in the spring.  I've been contemplating that for a while to put that "carrot" out there.  My running needs a lot of work.  Decisions... decisions...

2010-01-04 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2593087

User image

Elite

billsorg - 2010-01-04 3:34 PM I like your idea of a half Mary on the calendar in the spring.  I've been contemplating that for a while to put that "carrot" out there.  My running needs a lot of work.  Decisions... decisions...

It is a good distance and easy enough to accomplish. A full marathon takes longer to recover and much more time to build towards often forgoing your bike/swim. Early March works well because you can take some downtime to recover and reload from training all winter. Then start building towards your first race.

2010-01-04 5:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rio Rancho - where you can ride year round!
I see what a few of you are doing for the first quarter of the year. Are any of you starting a training plan this week?

My first race is in April, so my training will start tomorrow (today is my normal rest day, so that's what I'm doing! besides having to work). It's a sprint, so I think I'm going to build my own plan based on what I've done the last 1.5 years and I'm also going to slowly introduce multisport workout days for when I start training in May for the Oly race in Sept.

There's a lot I want to do this year, but just don't know if I'll have the time to do all of it. But definitely going to get a few more races in this year!

2010-01-04 7:40 PM
in reply to: #2589459

User image

Elite

itsallrelative_Maine - 2010-01-02 3:33 PM I hope the run on the (newly improved?) Achilles went well. I contemplated a run outside (it's really not that cold) - but I get really skittish about drivers not having good control in the snow and wimped out.

Trails are awesome in the snow. Extra quiet. Often times you get to break trail and create the paths others will follow.

2010-01-04 7:41 PM
in reply to: #2593548

User image

Elite

barelfly - 2010-01-04 6:22 PM I see what a few of you are doing for the first quarter of the year. Are any of you starting a training plan this week?

I will start soon. Short racing season May-Aug for me. Work has changed quite a bit recently, so I shuffled plans since November. Early downtime after for me and then a big build for an early 2011 IM with hopes of KQing

2010-01-05 8:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK

barelfly - 2010-01-04 6:22 PM I see what a few of you are doing for the first quarter of the year. Are any of you starting a training plan this week?

Here is my early season training plans:

Swim - start tri-fuel's 36 week ironman program (swim portion only) Jan 18th http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/

Bike - start Jorge's winter maintenance program Jan 11th (on days it's warm enough to get outside I'll try to sub some of the trainer rides with outdoor intervals)

Run - start doing some 'easy' speed work while building my long run by 10% each week with the goal of running every other day until my knee can handle more.

Yoga - try to do it once a week until my knee feels stabilized (doc said that should be by March)

Edited by ray6foot7 2010-01-05 9:02 AM

2010-01-05 9:17 AM
in reply to: #2594687

User image

NH
ray6foot7 - 2010-01-05 9:59 AM

Swim - start tri-fuel's 36 week ironman program (swim portion only) Jan 18th http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/

Bike - start Jorge's winter maintenance program Jan 11th (on days it's warm enough to get outside I'll try to sub some of the trainer rides with outdoor intervals)

Run - start doing some 'easy' speed work while building my long run by 10% each week with the goal of running every other day until my knee can handle more.

Yoga - try to do it once a week until my knee feels stabilized (doc said that should be by March)

Looks good Ray.  When is Kansas and when is your IM?  Here's to keeping that knee healthy.
2010-01-05 10:06 AM

User image

Elite

Some Winter running tips:

Take it easy.

Try to run when the sun is out. It will be slightly warmer, and easier to see ice/snow and for cars to see you/

There is no need to buy special things to clamp onto your shoes, simply take a pair that is close to being worn out and convert them yourself: http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Wear brighter clothes, since sidewalks and the edge of the road may have snow/ice. You may find it easier to run in the road. Continue to run against traffic, but brighter clothes in theory should help drivers see you easier/sooner.

Wear extra clothing but not too much. Everyone is different when it comes to warmth and their ability to deal with the cold. Gloves and hats are essential to keeping warm. I also recommend Sunglasses to keep the wind and cold out of your eyes. For the men you could add something like Brooks Wind Briefs under your running shorts. Likewise if it is cold enough wear tights. A tight fitting warm technical top with a tshirt or long sleeve over it works great.

Run on trails. I love breaking new trails. Its a hard effort, but rewarding. The woods are quieter, you see more animals, its just nice.

Sort of rushed. I may add more later.

2010-01-05 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2594737

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pauls Valley, OK
wbayek - 2010-01-05 9:17 AM
ray6foot7 - 2010-01-05 9:59 AM

Looks good Ray.  When is Kansas and when is your IM?  Here's to keeping that knee healthy.

Kansas 70.3 - June 13th.
Redman 140.6 - Sept. 25th
2010-01-05 11:09 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine
Ray - I like the new avatar...New Year's Eve? Glad to hear you are starting Jorge's plan - it's great...a killer, but great.

I started the Winter Maintenance plan yesterday, subbing in Jorge's plan for the bike and adding in one to two runs a week. The big addition on this plan from what I have been doing is weight/core training. Today was the first day of lifting (legs and back)...it's been awhile...I'm gonna be sore tomorrow (between W10 Q1 of Jorge's plan and the weights, my legs are wobbly). After I finished lifting, I realized I didn't know what the appropriate recovery nutrition is for lifting. It doesn't seem like I have worked as hard as I do with s/b/r (I know - my legs will argue with me tomorrow about that statement)...but I'm thinking some sort of nutrition may be appropriate...what do you all think?

Re: Aaron's suggestion about running trails - I haven't run trails before. Any caveats/warnings I should know before heading out? I live in the boonies, so finding places to run shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks to all!

Jennifer
2010-01-05 2:43 PM

User image

Expert
West Grove, PA
Screwshoe... what a concept!

2010-01-05 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2595765

User image

NH
billsorg - 2010-01-05 3:43 PM Screwshoe... what a concept!

I love that idea.  I know that everyone says to throw away old shoes, but this looks like a GREAT application for my old running shoes.  Does that make sense to everyone?
2010-01-05 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2578387

User image

Expert
WA
itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-26 4:31 AM
Another (again, purely selfish) - how do you keep motivated to train each day? For me, I love the bike and run, but really struggle on the swim. The thought of getting into the car, going to the pool, freezing until I warm up, getting out of the pool and driving back home with frozen hair in the winter time to do the sport I like the least means that I tend to "sacrifice" that sport's training more often than the others...how do you overcome than sense of ennui? How do I get excited about swim training like I am about bike and run?
Jennifer

We joined a Masters Swim team.  Once you pay it gives you more incentive to go.  The workouts are really good too.  And because you swim with others there is like a  "pure pressure" to swim faster and longer.

Good luck!
2010-01-05 5:48 PM
in reply to: #2572152

User image

Expert
WA
aarondavidson - 2009-12-21 6:44 AM

Recovery:

The biggest thing you can do is sleep. Some of us have the ability to get 8-9hours of sleep a night and get a few naps each week. For others of us we get 6-7hours of sleep and dream of naps. Sleep is the greatest thing you can do for your body.

Great write up! 
Also checking out the offseason guide.  Thanks for sharing this stuff!
2010-01-05 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2596204

User image

Elite

RunRene - 2010-01-05 6:06 PM
itsallrelative_Maine - 2009-12-26 4:31 AM
Another (again, purely selfish) - how do you keep motivated to train each day? For me, I love the bike and run, but really struggle on the swim. The thought of getting into the car, going to the pool, freezing until I warm up, getting out of the pool and driving back home with frozen hair in the winter time to do the sport I like the least means that I tend to "sacrifice" that sport's training more often than the others...how do you overcome than sense of ennui? How do I get excited about swim training like I am about bike and run?
Jennifer

We joined a Masters Swim team.  Once you pay it gives you more incentive to go.  The workouts are really good too.  And because you swim with others there is like a  "pure pressure" to swim faster and longer.

Good luck!

I love my old master's swim program. I was middle of the pack. A couple VERY fast swimmers, nationally competing, and a few that were very slow but did the workouts. Really helped me push. It was 'all' freestyle. I dominated the 25yd sprint. Without flipturns I 'lost' everything else.

Coach left, new instructor came in, and workouts were all over the place, often too easy. Many of the regulars dropped out. It was unfortunate. Great motivator to swim with or run/bike with other people.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Aaron Davidson's Group -- Closed. Rss Feed  

of 76