This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by alsi071 2010-01-10 12:40 PM

2010-01-10 6:53 PM
in reply to: #2606008

Subject: RE: Scottt's Group
alsi071 - 2010-01-10 12:38 PM

IMO it is overrated

+1  & I made a poll in the main area

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192784&posts=16&start=1

2010-01-10 7:24 PM
in reply to: #2606470

Subject: ...
2010-01-10 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2606470

Master
TORONTO
Bachelor Reform - 2010-01-10 7:53 PM

IMO it is overrated

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=192784&posts=16&start=1 

When I did my first try-a-tri I could only breath on my one side - sadly this was the side that the waves were coming in on... I think every other breath was met with a mouth of water.  So while I agree that you can get by without it - it sure comes in handy depending on the water conditions/wave directions on that day.  But yes... I think it's probably one of the last skills I'd focus on when learning to swim.

ETA: I agree with everything else Alex said... if you can swing it - go for lessons.  I've heard there's a DVD program called Total Immersion which is supposed to be good too.  No clue though

Edited by kimmax 2010-01-10 7:31 PM
2010-01-10 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2558214

Master
TORONTO
Subject: RE: Scottt's Group - Closed
Question -

How do you calculate the heart rate ranges for the various zones?  I tried to put together a table in my dashboard of my profile but when I compare this information to stuff I see on the internet - the HR ranges look high.  But when I look at the response of my body to various workouts - I think they are accurate.  Thursdays run was definitely zone 4/5A.  Yesterday's run results seem a little high HR but maybe my having a cold impacts that?  Not sure.

I read on the web you take 220-age to get the maximum - for me that would be 181.  How do you know what % corresponds to the various zones if I want to work out primarily in Zone 2 (extensive duration)?  Does my chart look right?
2010-01-11 12:41 PM

Veteran
Central Point
Talking about swimming... It seemed like when I would turn my head to breath I was getting an awful lot of water running off my face and into my mouth the other day. Am I not turning far enough out of the water or is there something else I need to work on. It wasn't every time but it was often and I couldn't tell what was different on the "good" breathes.

2010-01-11 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2606539

Veteran
Toronto
kimmax - 2010-01-10 8:29 PM
Bachelor Reform - 2010-01-10 7:53 PM

IMO it is overrated

When I did my first try-a-tri I could only breath on my one side - sadly this was the side that the waves were coming in on... I think every other breath was met with a mouth of water.  So while I agree that you can get by without it - it sure comes in handy depending on the water conditions/wave directions on that day.  But yes... I think it's probably one of the last skills I'd focus on when learning to swim.

ETA: I agree with everything else Alex said... if you can swing it - go for lessons.  I've heard there's a DVD program called Total Immersion which is supposed to be good too.  No clue though

I used to teach stroke correction to triathletes - back in the 90's. I would recommend bilateral breathing as it corrects a lot of other problems, and gives you a good roll - leading to a more efficient stroke. Also is helps you swim straight which is a big problem with open water swimming for most people. You also needs to learn to sight during swimming and this is easier from a bilateral stroke in terms of staying on course.
2010-01-11 12:52 PM

I am just a rookie swimmer, but I can tell you that learning to breath on both sides eliminated neck pain from only turning one way.
2010-01-11 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2607845

Veteran
Toronto
zexx9 - 2010-01-11 1:52 PM I am just a rookie swimmer, but I can tell you that learning to breath on both sides eliminated neck pain from only turning one way.

That brings up another point - as your mileage increases you are going to want to be as symmetrical as possible.
Anyone who came to me I immediately made them a bilateral breather. They would tell me that they had never been successful before, or they just didn't believe they could do it. But everyone was happy in the end.

The trick to front crawl is not just in the pull but in the reach. So when you put your hand in the water you want to then extend it fwd. Common mistake is to put your hand in as far fwd as possible and then pull hard back. But you want to put it in at a nice natural reach then as you are still pulling back with your opposite hand you are reaching with the one you just put in.
This all create an efficient roll and you need to be symmetrical with this - meaning breathing, reaching and rolling on both sides.

Get some lessons and you should do great.

Edited by alexenafi 2010-01-11 12:59 PM
2010-01-11 2:35 PM

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

For those that might be curious when you see the crazy amount of running I'm doing in my logs...

I just finished the first of two PEAK weeks prior to my TAPER for the Carlsbad Marathon on Jan. 24.  I am not a natural runner and have worked very deliberately on improving that aspect of my performance.  If nothing else, the BASE I have accumulated in marathon training should help greatly going in to my IM training this spring.  Running definitely tears up the body and I am definitely feeling the effects.  The cross-training we get naturally in our sport undoubtedly improves our recovery and longevity.  I could definitely not be soley a long-distance runner.  It hurts too much!

Edited by Scottt 2010-01-11 4:19 PM
2010-01-11 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2608097

Master
TORONTO
Scottt - 2010-01-11 3:35 PM

For those that might be curious when you see the crazy amount of running I'm doing in my logs...

I just finished the first of two PEAK weeks prior to my TAPER for the Carlsback Marathon on Jan. 24.  I am not a natural runner and have worked very deliberately on improving that aspect of my performance.  If nothing else, the BASE I have accumulated in marathon training should help greatly going in to my IM training this spring.  Running definitely tears up the body and I am definitely feeling the effects.  The cross-training we get naturally in our sport undoubtedly improves our recovery and longevity.  I could definitely not be soley a long-distance runner.  It hurts too much! 

It's really impressive - yesterday especially!  Hope it goes according to plan!!

2010-01-11 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2606641

Veteran
Long Beach, CA

kimmax - 2010-01-10 6:25 PM Question -

How do you calculate the heart rate ranges for the various zones?  I tried to put together a table in my dashboard of my profile but when I compare this information to stuff I see on the internet - the HR ranges look high.  But when I look at the response of my body to various workouts - I think they are accurate.  Thursdays run was definitely zone 4/5A.  Yesterday's run results seem a little high HR but maybe my having a cold impacts that?  Not sure.

I read on the web you take 220-age to get the maximum - for me that would be 181.  How do you know what % corresponds to the various zones if I want to work out primarily in Zone 2 (extensive duration)?  Does my chart look right?

Marcia,

They definately look high, to me.  I would think your Z2 would be in the 130/140s

Here is a pretty good article describing the different methods of determining Max HR/HR zones/Lactate Threshold: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=405

The 220-Age method  should only be a rough starting point.  Once somewhat trained, I'd recommend a field test of some kind. 

To determine Run LT (Lactate Threshold), the field test BT uses in its plans (and I use) is: 
   1. Warmup 10 -15 min
   2. Start 30 minutes TT - effort should be solid, sustained, leaves you spent at end of the effort
   3. Take average HR for last 20 minutes of 30 minute TT
   4. Warmdown
   5. Ignore all inputs but 20 minute avg HR from step 3

You can spend a fortune of lab testing of LT, but field testing is really just as good.

2010-01-11 4:29 PM
in reply to: #2608111

I think I will have a look for lessons see if I can fit some into my schedule. I have got the total immersion DVDs and I think they have helped me swim more efficiently well I am still really only doing drills, I have planned a sprint tri for April so I have about 13 weeks to learn to swim 750m, luckily the swim section is in the pool so it will feel more familiar for me. The training plan I have however seems to have long swim workouts I will try to cover the distances but I feel maybe I would be better mixing it up with some drills to begin with to learn the stoke technique better

I have been trying breathing every 3rd stoke. I feel there is a whole lot to do at once. I also find when I try to swim slower I sink even though my head and arms are under the water.

Good luck in your marathon Scott you have a good pace on the long run

Marcia I think your heart rate zones for running seem about right. The max heart rate I have seen on myself recently is 184. I think the best way to get your HR zones is to do the lactate threshold tests, however these are very demanding there are guides here http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=633 on how to do them. They basically involve a very hard 30 min run or cycle for the last 20 mins you record your average heart rate while running as hard as you can. 

I did this 6 months ago and I had a LT of 169 but I think I need to retest now I am a bit fitter.

Edited by jforrest 2010-01-11 4:33 PM
2010-01-11 6:27 PM

Master
TORONTO
Thanks for the input on the heart rate guide.  I'll have to plan to do a test in the future. 

I think the reason I've given up using a monitor was because my numbers never matched what anything I read said it should.  If I kept my hr at the 130 mark I'd be walking...  I recently took a resting hr reading and it was 70! When I get on the treadmill and it tries to calculate it - it always tells me to slow down...

When I look at the numbers (obtained using a max hr = 181 & the charts in the Training Bible) I feel like the pace seems a bit slow and the heart rate a bit high but this morning I ran an easy 12 min/mile - it almost felt too easy.  I could have carried on a conversation while running.  My RPE seemed to match zone 2 perfectly - I was perspiring a bit but there was no stress - and yet my average heart rate was 154 - which seems high. 

jforrest - 2010-01-11 5:29 PM
I have been trying breathing every 3rd stoke. I feel there is a whole lot to do at once. I also find when I try to swim slower I sink even though my head and arms are under the water.

It is a lot to think about all at once!  I find I'll be swimming along thinking I'm doing okay and then I have to remind myself to arch my back so my hips don't sink... and keep my fingers closed... the list goes on and on!  I never understand how people can swim with music - I need to focus not be distracted.  Don't give up though - it'll come!

2010-01-12 3:40 PM

elheffe99 & divndrt

I know you guys do a lot of trainer miles, but maybe you'd like to join me on my long bike ride one of these days. I do have a mtb but I'm testing my slicks today so maybe I'll be a tad faster.

I usually do mountain to sea(20mile loop) but today I'm trying the shady canyon trail(10 mile loop)

2010-01-12 8:46 PM

Master
TORONTO
So I've set a new goal for myself - to lose 5 pounds in 5 weeks. 
Not overly aggressive but hopefully doable.  Anyone else wanna join me?  Weigh in on Mondays? 

Just think of how hot you'll look for Valentines Day!!!

2010-01-13 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2610779

Veteran
Central Point
kimmax - 2010-01-12 6:46 PM So I've set a new goal for myself - to lose 5 pounds in 5 weeks. 
Not overly aggressive but hopefully doable.  Anyone else wanna join me?  Weigh in on Mondays? 

Just think of how hot you'll look for Valentines Day!!!

I'm with you, that fits with my goals anyway. I might as well make them more specific.
2010-01-13 1:53 PM

Expert

Hi Scott,

I posted this in my blog today and thought I'd ask you out here in case anyone could learn anything from it:

So as I posted last night I did an LT run test. The more I think about it the more I think it’s not right. Now I know that I haven’t done it in quite a while but the first time, in 2006, I tested at 180. The second time I did it, in 2008, I tested at 181. When I did it last night I tested at 168. That seems very low. Now I know that I could have made mistakes on the previous two but they are so similar I kind of doubt it.

Here are some ideas about why it might have been off last night:

1)      I’ve been under a lot of stress and yesterday was about a 10 out of 10 on the stress level.

2)      I did not run on a flat course. I’m unsure of what this does or doesn’t do to the test. The elevation gain was about 400 feet with about equal that on the downhill.

3)      Maybe there was an issue with my monitor/strap.

This is why I think it could be right:

1)      I ran as hard as I could for those 30 minutes. I know my pace doesn’t reflect it but I think that’s because of the hills.

2)      I was huffing and puffing and don’t think I could have given much more. I thought I might puke a couple of times.

Does going down 12 points in two years make sense? I’m confused and any help and/or comments would be appreciated.

(I guess I didn't mention my method. I warmed up for 15 minutes and then ran as hard as I could for 30 minutes, with the last 20 minutes of that being the test time. My AVG HR was 168.)

2010-01-13 2:32 PM

New user

Chilliwack
I'm up for that one!  I'd like to lose 70 lbs this year!  I lost 50 last year.
2010-01-13 2:40 PM

Subject: ...

Edited by alsi071 2010-01-13 2:42 PM
2010-01-13 3:20 PM
in reply to: #2612242

Master
TORONTO
Bring It On - 2010-01-13 3:32 PM I'm up for that one!  I'd like to lose 70 lbs this year!  I lost 50 last year.

That's incredible!  Such determination!  Good for you!

Woo hoo!  Looks like we have a group goal.  Let's compare progress every Monday and see how we're doing.  My goal is to get back to basics - low GI fruits, veggies, limited "good" carbs, lean meats, nuts and good fats, and LF dairy although... I'm not giving up my cheese.  However... I will start weighing it and limiting myself to 1oz per day (cottage cheese excluded).  This will be hard for me.  In another life I must have been a mouse! 

Good luck everyone!

2010-01-14 10:56 AM
in reply to: #2612367

kimmax - 2010-01-13 3:20 PM
Bring It On - 2010-01-13 3:32 PM I'm up for that one!  I'd like to lose 70 lbs this year!  I lost 50 last year.

Woo hoo!  Looks like we have a group goal.  Let's compare progress every Monday and see how we're doing.  My goal is to get back to basics - low GI fruits, veggies, limited "good" carbs, lean meats, nuts and good fats, and LF dairy although... I'm not giving up my cheese.  However... I will start weighing it and limiting myself to 1oz per day (cottage cheese excluded).  This will be hard for me.  In another life I must have been a mouse! 

Good luck everyone!

I know I need to lose weight, but it just doesn't happen for me. I cannot gain or lose weight. I know that sounds weird, but I have maintained between 174 to 178 for the last 4 years.  I have never dieted either which could be my starting point. I know my knees and back would thank me if I lost 10 lbs before my first triathlon. Neither in or out at this point...lol
2010-01-14 11:00 AM
in reply to: #2613859

Veteran
Toronto
zexx9 - 2010-01-14 11:56 AM
kimmax - 2010-01-13 3:20 PM

Good luck everyone!

I'm in.

I know I need to lose weight, but it just doesn't happen for me. I cannot gain or lose weight. I know that sounds weird, but I have maintained between 174 to 178 for the last 4 years.  I have never dieted either which could be my starting point. I know my knees and back would thank me if I lost 10 lbs before my first triathlon. Neither in or out at this point...lol
2010-01-14 11:38 AM

Good luck guys with your weight loss goals, I won't be joining you but I hope you all reach the weight you want.

I am thinking of investing in a trainer for the bike because I think it will be a lot more convent than going outside especially for shorter cycles, what trainer do you guys have and would you recommend them. I don't want to spend too much on it thought. Also do you find that they are quite when you are using them?

2010-01-14 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2613859

Master
TORONTO

zexx9 - 2010-01-14 11:56 AM

Well you've obviously mastered maintenance which isn't such a bad thing.  Maybe it's not a matter of dieting but rather just cutting back a bit.  Or changing one thing - no more post-dinner snacking etc.  More and more I'm thinking I'll cut out cheese.... just for a while.... maybe ;)

I've also decided to give my body a break and try and beat my cold.  I never get sick and this thing has been with me for over a week now.  So annoying!  So I'll have to live vicariously through you bunch for the next day or two!  Share the deets!!

Edited by kimmax 2010-01-14 11:47 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Scottt's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 18