BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-01-20 2:15 PM
in reply to: #2558725

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL
Katie,
Motivated for you and IMKY!
I actually enjoy bilateral breathing, but tend to favor my right side in the pool. in OWS, I favor wherever the splashing isn't.
As for your plan, I would love to see it and would be happy to help, as I will be starting mine just about when you are tapering!

2010-01-20 5:38 PM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
Anyone have any ideas on what would cause shin splints so severe you can barely even walk? I missed my long run last weekend because we had to go out of town and spent most of the time driving and missed my run. So I went out last night to do a long run (5 miles) and started getting shin splints at about half a mile. After another 1/4 mile I had to stop and stretch to ease the pain. At a mile I stopped and stretched again. I did a couple more laps with walking and stretching breaks but then gave up because the pain down my shins was so severe I could barely walk. I never had a problem with anything I would consider shin splints. Maybe a little stiffness in my lower leg but last night it got so bad I was in constant pain and couldn't move my foot at all. After several minutes of stretching I was able to get to the point that I could walk but it took several hours for my right leg to get even close to normal. Even today it is a little sensitive when I point my toe.
2010-01-20 8:04 PM

User image

Expert
Not an expert as I don't have much experience running but I've definitely had them a couple of times (actually every run for a period of time when I first got back into triathlons). I've read that there are a lot of potential causes,- starting off running too fast (i.e. not letting your muscles warm up)- overstriding- crappy shoes- overpronatingThat's all I've got. I know that after a while they went away but I always had a good amount of rest between run days. I don't think they'll go away once they start unless you let your body heal. The starting off slowly was what helped me. I guess when you hop out there and hit the ground running, you run a little differently than once you settle into your form and that is when you're prone to shin splints.
2010-01-21 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2625083

User image

Master
My wife used to have trouble with shin splints. She worked on it by starting to stretch before every run. Doing heel/toe (point toe, then flex foot, etc) and calve strecthes.
This and always starting at a slow shuffle seemed to help her.
I also have friends who use KT tape, and they say it helps.
Watch out that you aren't doing something worse. Another friend thought they had shin splints and it turned out it was stress fractures from overuse.
Rest it, strecth it, and maybe do a cross train with the elliptical or high incline treadmill if you have access and see how it feels.
2010-01-21 2:53 PM

User image

Master
So, I had to share. I got up early this morning and went for a run.
To put this in perspective, I have not been feeling the love this week for my training. If I don't get a morning workout, it is sometimes hard for me to fit one in, since I take care of my daughter in the afternoons after about 3 PM and my wife gets home late.  I missed every morning this week.
So, I ran 2 loops of 2.8 miles. I am trying to incorporate the FIRST 1/2 marathon training plan into my trialthlon plan. Today was supposed to be a 5 mile mid tempo run at about 8:30. My goal for the loop was 23:06.
I was figuring 23:06 would be a serious challenge. I did it in 21:59.
Yikes! I took the second loop easy and missed my overall time goal, but felt so great that I have had a smile on my face all day, even though I had to take the car to the shop AND leaned up against wet paint
I have been walking around all day with a white stripe on my arm, and I don't even care!!!!

Anyway, just wanted to share and say hope you all are having a good week!
2010-01-22 7:47 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
The white stripe was a RACING stripe awarded to fast runners.

2010-01-22 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
That is the best feeling and I'm glad it came at a time when it was needed/appreciated.  You really do need that occasionally to keep your motivation and spirits up.

That is why we push ourselves day in and day out, to find what our bodies are truly capable of....and often it is surprising.

The "racing stripe" is hilarious.
2010-01-23 11:06 AM

User image

New user

This morning Steve (evenolder) and I did the Sarasota Ringling Bridge Run (7k) together. It was great!  It is technically my 3rd race of any kind in my life.  Last year, I completed 2 sprints and did okay.  So this is the farthest I have run other than a couple of training runs with similar distances.  I have to say I really enjoyed it.  Pushing myself to not walk (don't laugh) and to try to stay ahead of friends I knew I wanted to come in ahead of- there I said it- was a fun challenge.
I ended up running the 4 miles at 9:57 average which is very good for me.  Hopefully, I will see that number get better as the year progresses. 
I definitely like triathlons better - there's so much more to think about and I feel like the transition of 3 sports is a bit more fun.  I can see why 5ks are so popular, though, cuz you can get out there and give it your best shot and not worry about all the equipment and prep, etc. 
So now I just can't wait til we have our first scheduled race in a couple of weeks here in Sarasota.  My big challenge is going to be transitioning with the cycle shoes Steve bought me for my birthday last fall.  I have had a few knee scrapes while training, but I'm sure I'll get used to removing them.
I have been a bad group member and haven't been keeping up much but will be around a bit more.  You all seem to be a bit more advanced than me, but I really enjoy what i've peeked at so far.
Happy Training!
Sharon
2010-01-23 3:09 PM

User image

Master
Sharon,
Awesome. Don't worry about being a good group member. We don't need to be something to worry about.
Way to go on the run. That is faster than my first few 5ks.
Which race are you doing? I am going to be over there for the Gator 1/2 Iron distance on March 21. Any Hotel reccomendations?
2010-01-23 8:22 PM

Regular
Great JOB Sharon.

Hope your bike shoes go well, I haven't gotten the nerve to try the yet.
2010-01-24 7:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Ok, tonight I'm gonna tell you everything I know about importing training plans into BT.
Requirements:
a. You must be a bronze or higher level member
b. You have to edit a spreadsheet in the CSV format.  Excel works great.  Open Office probably does too, and it's free.

How I learned this stuff:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1066
and trial and error

Here we go:
1. Download the blank spreadsheet from:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/get-attachment.asp?attachmentid=16620

2. Rename the file, "import.htm" to "import.csv" 
Your computer may freak out and tell you of impending doom if you change the .htm to .csv, but remain calm and enforce your decision.

3. Open the file "import.csv" in Excel. 
You may need to select "All Files (*.*)" from a drop-down menu next to the file name box when opening.   I'm using Excel 2007, so my prompts and stuff might be different, but you'll figure out the little stuff.

4. You'll immediately notice that it's hard to read all the headers across the top.  You can simply adjust the column widths auto or manually to fit each category.  Do not change any of the headers.  The BT site is looking for them exactly.  You probably could get away with deleting some, but it wouldn't help anything.

5.  Pick your Swim Units, Swim Pace Units, Bike Units and Run Units.  Delete the unused one.
ie;  I'm an American, so we thumb our noses at the entire rest of the world and use yards and miles.  So I clear the boxes that say "meter", "km", one of the Swim Pace Unit "100" and the ""1500".

6. Begin on the far left, under Log Date (v1.0)  Enter either sequential numbers going down (1,2,3,4...) or the date in dd/mm/yyyy format. 
Your choice, I use the date 'cause it's easier for me to plan.  It doesn't matter though, when you enter a start date during the import it just goes from there.

7. Then working day by day, enter the minutes you will train.  You may also want to enter distance goals, pace goals, or comments for the day.
When looking at the actual vs. planned graph on your training log, it only shows time.  As I train mostly by distance, I enter a minimum time for each day.  For instance, on a long run day I know will take me around 50min, I enter both the 5.5 miles I'll run and 40 minutes for the time.  That way, my actual time is always more than the planned time, and I look like I'm crushing my plan.  I read my plan for the distance, however.

8.  When you've entered all the days (which can take a while, copy and paste when you can), AND the units for each of them, then you need to "save as..." the file with a new name in .csv format.  You'll likely need to select "other formats" and select .csv (comma separated values).  Again, ignore the warnings.
For each line (day), I enter the unit value appropriate for the training.  If I've got biking planned, I enter "mile" in the Bike Units column next to the filled in Bike Distance column.  I don't put units in for the other columns if not training that discipline that day.  Creative names for your .csv help, like "painmonth.csv, or hurtme.csv," etc.

9.  Go to beginnertriathlete.com--->Settings--->Training Log Settings--->My Training Plans.  Find Import a Plan and enter any title that strikes your fancy, the browse to your recently created and saved "hurtme.csv" on your computer.  Press the Add button.

10.  Now notice on your My Training Plans the title you just wrote in, and the link next to it (Upload to your training).  Click it.

11. On the next page, do not fail to set the start date correctly.  And don't forget to select to import into planned, not actual training.  This will overwrite your current training plan, i'm sort of sure starting at the starting date you just selected.

12.  Sit back and pat yourself on the back.

Hit me with questions.
steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2010-01-24 7:06 PM

2010-01-24 7:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
JACK-
Week 2 of your swim training starts now.
4th Stroke Breathing
The idea here is to get you breathing every fourth arm entry, or every 2nd arm-cycle.
In other words, instead of breathing every time your left arm(or whatever side you breath to) comes around, you only breathe every other time.

Why?
1. You'll feel your form a whole lot better when you don't have to breathe all the time.
2. You'll learn to feel secure when you suck in salt water from a wave, knowing you can skip a breath and not drown.
3. During the race, you breathe every stroke, and it's like putting rocket fuel into your body.

To do this right, you need to stay breathing on one side for a set distance, then switch, etc.  I do one side one lap, other side the next.  Maybe you do it for different lengths, whatever.  Many people swim on a three stroke cycle  (left, stroke, stroke, right, stroke, stroke), but for now stay on one side awhile, breathing every other cycle, then switch to the other side, etc.

Plan:
200y Simple Bilateral Breathing Warm Up
rest
200y intervals 4th Stroke Breathing, continuing to keep up the Bilateral Breathing throughout.
At least 3 intervals, more is better.  Focus on the form, not speed or distance.

Do this twice this week.
Next week we actually start improving form.

steve

Edited by EvenOlder 2010-01-24 7:23 PM
2010-01-25 7:49 AM

User image

Master
Steve,
Perfect timing on the import a plan.
I was just about to ask you.
However, how about this....How do you export a plan? If I have a plan that I got from the system and I want to modify it, rather than retyping most of it, how can I export it and then make my changes?

Thanks!!
2010-01-25 7:51 AM

User image

Master
Hey All,
Happy Monday!
I hope everyon had a good weekend. Weather was good for training this weekend, and I took advantage.
I did a 3 hour ride + 1 mile run on Sat and a 12 mile run on Sunday. Then I "coached" a kids triathlon session. No swimming and a lot of running around on the beach. It was more like herding cats, but the kids had fun.
How were your weekends? Any good workouts or sessions, or experiences you want to share???

2010-01-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2632718

User image

New user

Such a fun ride this morning- 8 miles -good to get back in the saddle that admittedly had a little dust on it !
Okay- standard question but fun anyway- 
Favorite Cylcling song- 
Favorite Running song-
*If you can't narrow it down, give a style of music you gravitate to, then maybe one example.

If i had to say one song, I love Bob Sinclair- "World Hold on" for cycling, and for running i love techno especially one called
"In Paradise" by DJ Boombastic

Happy Monday everyone! 
2010-01-25 9:01 AM
in reply to: #2632716

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
eliwashere - 2010-01-25 8:49 AM Steve,
Perfect timing on the import a plan.
I was just about to ask you.
However, how about this....How do you export a plan? If I have a plan that I got from the system and I want to modify it, rather than retyping most of it, how can I export it and then make my changes?

Thanks!!

Well, I just did an export.  Here's what I found:
1. Go to Settings--->Training Log Settings--->Export Log Data
2. I selected Planned Data, as I figure you're gonna be making a new plan, not checking previous performance
3. I picked a start/end dates that coincided with when I started my current plan, the one I wanted to modify
4. I hit the export button and saved the file on my computer.
5. On opening the file in Excel, I was immediately overwhelmed by all the headers.  You can safely delete any of them (ie, delete the column entire) you're not going to use.  Make sure you keep the Log Date, SBR (Swim Bike Run) Time-Distance-Units, and Strength Time.   Everything else is optional, I use/keep the Comments for all categories and the Overall Comments.
6. After editing, Save As... in .csv format with a new name.  Then import per the previous instructions.

I've never completed this process, let me know,
steve

2010-01-25 10:39 AM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA

aussiesheps - 2010-01-25 7:42 AM Such a fun ride this morning- 8 miles -good to get back in the saddle that admittedly had a little dust on it !
Okay- standard question but fun anyway- 
Favorite Cylcling song- 
Favorite Running song-
*If you can't narrow it down, give a style of music you gravitate to, then maybe one example.

If i had to say one song, I love Bob Sinclair- "World Hold on" for cycling, and for running i love techno especially one called
"In Paradise" by DJ Boombastic

Happy Monday everyone! 

I like Podrunner on iTunes.  DJ Steveboy mixes music of various beats per minute so you can pick the beat for the type of workout you are doing for the day, slower for an easy day or faster for a harder day.  He has two separate podcasts.  One is music with the same beat for the whole workout and the other is for interval training where he mixes music starting with a slower beat and increasing through the workout.
Favorite running song-I love running in silence in the early morning or late at night when hardly anyone else is up.
Favorite cycling song-Anything Steve does.  I load my blackberry with as many podcasts as it will hold and press play.  I can ride for as long as I want and never hear the same thing twice.

2010-01-25 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
I LOVE DJ STEVEBOY!
thanks for the info.
steve
2010-01-25 8:58 PM
in reply to: #2634202

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
I love listenting to up tempo moby stuff while running.  Don't listen while biking. 
2010-01-26 7:11 AM
in reply to: #2634385

User image

Expert
Thank you so much, Steve, for all the info on importing/exporting of the plans!  That is going to help a ton once I have a chance to set up my evil plan for IMKY. 

Hmmm....running music, my recent favorite is Weezer "Daytripping" it is very upbeat and makes me feel like frolicking.  I used to like the dance stuff but my cadence is much slower so I kind of abandoned that and I've found that lyrics distract me which helps the time pass quickly.  I also like any song that seems to have a choir singing parts of it....like MIKA "Happy Ending" and the ubiquitous "All The Things That I've Done" by The Killers.

I don't listen to music when I'm biking and if I'm in a spin class, I don't have any say in the music selection.
2010-01-26 7:40 AM

User image

Master
Steve, thanks for the export help. I think I will have time today. I am getting VERY EXCITED about my first tri of the season, and want to tweak my last 8 weeks to be my way.

As for music, I am all over th eplace. My wife makes some good mixes with hip-hop music, while I tend towards rock.
There was a great thread on the main triathlon talk board as well, you should check it out.

BTW, not to be a downer, but please check the laws in your area about riding with headphones. I run with my ipod 50-75% of the time, but never on the bike. It is illegal in many states, and very dangerous.

On the trainer though, rock out!

2010-01-26 9:46 AM

User image

Veteran
Sarasota FL
Eli is right about riding with earphones being very dangerous.
My wife rides laps in our neighborhood only, which has fewer than 20 homes and is a 2 mile long strip of pavement.  Neighbors are always out riding, so it's a totally different scenario than riding on public roads.  That's why she asked about cycling music.
2010-01-27 8:03 AM

User image

Master
Hey All,
Hump day!!!!
How is everyone doing? Is the weather cooperating where you live?
Had a great workout this morning, and am feeling good. Hopefully I don't get too sleepy later today.

Which brings me to the question-Do you find that your workout load makes you sleepy when you are gearing up for a race?
2010-01-27 8:55 AM

Regular
Good morning all...

Trying to work my plan and doing pretty good so far.   registered for my first race the turtle crasl oly in May this week; however I'm thinking of doing a sprint before then looking at maybe April.  I don't have a wetsuit now but considering buying one while there on sale.  Hopefully I could use one here three races a year.

Weather here has been a bit windy this week and not higher than the low 60's

Hope every one is having a good week training!!

2010-01-27 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2637001

User image

Expert
Eli,
  I definitely do find myself tired when gearing up but I've figured out that the actual training load is only a fraction of the equation.  It is a combination of sleep, nutrition, stress level and, of course, exertion (training).  I had my worst exhaustion days this Sunday (when I was watching my 1 yr old alone while my husband was working on a project in the garage, and he was just impossible to keep content) and last Thursday (when I trained on an empty stomach and wasn't able to eat anything following it because I was fasting for a Dr. appt). 

Jack,
  Book your hotel soon.  There isn't much on Jekyll Island but there is plenty on St. Simons which is about a 20 min drive.  They just opened a Hampton Inn on Jekyll Island which is really close to the race site (walking distance) but they don't appear to have many rooms left (I couldn't get a King bed room).  I would suggest looking at www.XterraWetsuits.com for a wetsuit .  You shouldn't pay more than $150 for a sleeveless one (I think it may even be $99 right now).  BT has a discount code if the website isn't already showing discounted prices.   You can also rent but that ends up being about $50 so you might as well buy one before your season starts.

It is cold here...looking forward to spring.

Edited by crazyalaskian 2010-01-27 9:39 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Eliwashere's Group-Ready to GO!-FULL Rss Feed  

of 13